Eggs. Oh!

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From Australian researchers........ One egg a day raises the risk of diabetes by 60%
Not good for me, I eat around 15 a week, while somehow maintaining a healthy HbA1c.

That's rather a surprise

We are accustomed to seeing nutritional and lifestyle advice from 12-year-old Australian nutrition experts. Usually bikini-clad on a Gold Coast Beach with more pristine enamel front and centre than is natural.
But they've gone a bit far with the Antipodean bunkum this time.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Ah yes, yet another glowing example of that laughable (make it up as you go weak science) Epidemiology. That article is just absolute nonsense from start to finish...

Reactions: oldgreymare

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Should have checked the link first..... Daily Fail.... doh!

Reactions: nutribolt

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From Australian researchers........ One egg a day raises the risk of diabetes by 60%
Not good for me, I eat around 15 a week, while somehow maintaining a healthy HbA1c.

That's rather a surprise

We are accustomed to seeing nutritional and lifestyle advice from 12-year-old Australian nutrition experts. Usually bikini-clad on a Gold Coast Beach with more pristine enamel front and centre than is natural.
But they've gone a bit far with the Antipodean bunkum this time.

Yes, I was surprised to read of a Chinese trial this morning, saying that one egg a day can lead to type 2. My own experience has been that a low carb diet using lots of eggs has sorted out my pre diabetic condition. Go figure!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you remember the exceptional YouTube melting video from Sarah Halberg where she said to reverse Type 2, do the opposite of the expert opinion. Several years on she is now part of Virta who have hard statistics, from real humans that shows her and her colleagues are right and "they" are wrong. Eating lots of eggs can raise cholesterol...hurray. If I got sick and ended up in hospital I would need this to prop up my immune system.

Cholesterol is like a fuel depot, when used correctly it runs essential things, but just like fuel if you introduce an element that changes its constitution then it becomes dangerous. We know what makes cholesterol dangerous so don't do that.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Related article from the same link....
How a deep-fried croissant covered in icing, A foot-long pig in a blanket sarnie are among the Christmas treats that really AREN'T that bad for you!
I am starting to think the Daily Mail may not be the best source of dietary advice.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you remember the exceptional YouTube melting video from Sarah Halberg where she said to reverse Type 2, do the opposite of the expert opinion. Several years on she is now part of Virta who have hard statistics, from real humans that shows her and her colleagues are right and "they" are wrong. Eating lots of eggs can raise cholesterol...hurray. If I got sick and ended up in hospital I would need this to prop up my immune system.

Cholesterol is like a fuel depot, when used correctly it runs essential things, but just like fuel if you introduce an element that changes its constitution then it becomes dangerous. We know what makes cholesterol dangerous so don't do that.
The problem with the "do the opposite of the expert opinion" idea is that Sarah Halberg is now the expert, so should we do the opposite of what she says? More seriously, the difficulty in knowing who to believe is a general problem in society the US elections being a good example.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe my blood test results over and above any "experts". I eat usually 20 eggs a week, am in remission from T2, cholesterol and lipids ideal, and all other bits and bobs within range.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I believe my blood test results over and above any "experts". I eat usually 20 eggs a week, am in remission from T2, cholesterol and lipids ideal, and all other bits and bobs within range.
I eat about the same amount. Didn’t raise my choice either

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Dark Horse

Science daily has a less inflammatory write-up:-
Dr Li says that while these results suggest that higher egg consumption is positively associated with the risk of diabetes in Chinese adults, more research is needed to explore causal relationships.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...at people who,a serious public health concern.
Note that:-
  1. The use of 'results suggest that' acknowledges that this is just a single study and it is possible that the results may have arisen by chance. Further studies would be needed to confirm whether or not this association is real.
  2. The use of 'associated with' acknowledges that no claims can be made about whether egg consumption might contribute to the development of diabetes. For example, egg-eating might be associated with prosperity which might also be associated with low levels of manual labour, i.e. exercise, and it might be this that is producing the effect. There are many other possibilities. Again further studies would be needed.
It's also worth bearing in mind that just because a study has been published, it does not mean that it reflects the scientific consensus. It's good that newspapers report on scientific results but it's unfortunate that the media tend to report the results as if they are the final picture rather than just one small piece of a difficult jigsaw.

Reactions: hankjam

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt the people studied maintained a healthy diet but 'just' added eggs in. I got the impression they were seeing more T2 in China as people moved from a traditional diet to the high fat, sugar, starch western diet. I suspect eggs are a tiny part of the issue

Reactions: Robbity

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The problem with the "do the opposite of the expert opinion" idea is that Sarah Halberg is now the expert, so should we do the opposite of what she says? More seriously, the difficulty in knowing who to believe is a general problem in society the US elections being a good example.
This is circular. "Their" expertise has been shown to not work, the trials of adding more insulin to manage Type 2, reduced life expectancy as a start. "Their" data is simply a joke when put under the spotlight:

- Meat causes cancer (IARC)
- Satuarated Fat causes heart attacks and strokes
- Cholestorol
- Low fat high carb
- Grains, Oil / Fat (man made), Sugar

For someone like me, who initially lent towards plant based and exercise more, the loud hailer of the other side now falls on deaf ears. Relative risk, filling boards with ideologically driven members, etc does not cut it for me.

Now if I compare Dr Sarah Halberg, as well studied as anyone on the planet (so fits "their" appeal to authority). Prior to joining Virta conducted another trial where her results demolished the standard of care treatment (and more importantly changed real lives). Sarah's YouTube, could have been created yesterday and has stood the test of time (very important for someone like me, who likes consistency). It matters not to me that maybe out of 100 Doctors only 2 or 3 might agree with her version of being an expert, I know where my bread is buttered, so yes she is a real expert, the others are **** - and I mean as bad as you can think.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am writing this from heaven!
I love my daily two eggs or every other day a three egg ham and mushroom omelette.
Or I must be dreaming because if I'm in ketosis and eating plenty of eggs, my health is really awful. Not great like in my dreams!
Or the meds have got control of my life and I'm not actually as good as my results are telling me, it's an illusion.

Or am I imagining all this anyway?
The truth is out there!!

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hah ironically enough, before the Dawn of the D I hardly ever ate eggs....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my first memories - perhaps my earliest one, is carrying a couple of hens, one under each arm, on the day we moved house - I would have been two years old at the time. They were little bantam hens, I had three and a cockerel to match. Poultry were part of home life back then. Times were never hard until you'd eaten the last of the poultry.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah yes, yet another glowing example of that laughable (make it up as you go weak science) Epidemiology. That article is just absolute nonsense from start to finish...
Indeed it looks like it was written by a junior hack as there are numerous journalistic errors in it that no experienced writer would make. Several paragraphs make no sense at all. Extremely badly written.

Example
"From 1991 to 2009, the number of people eating eggs in China nearly doubled – from 16 grams in 1991-93, to 26 grams in 2000-04 and 31 grams in 2009. "

I think this is an epidemiological study that seeks any possible correlation but not a cause. So is it saying that I as a diabetic already have an increased risk of getting more serious T2D if I eat an egg a day, or was I merely increasing the likely hood of getting T2D when I was eating eggs on a daily basis in my earlier life? The intro also points out that other diet changes took place such as meat-eating, and probably fizzy drinks or alcohol. but the study does not show how they eliminated these interferences just to blame eggs.

I can see Dr. MacGregor grabbing this article as proof that eating eggs is a sin and that it demonstrates that vegetarian Chinese who eat eggs get what they deserve.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed it looks like it was written by a junior hack as there are numerous journalistic errors in it that no experienced writer would make. Several paragraphs make no sense at all. Extremely badly written.

Example
"From 1991 to 2009, the number of people eating eggs in China nearly doubled – from 16 grams in 1991-93, to 26 grams in 2000-04 and 31 grams in 2009. "

I didn't even read the article befor posting here. If I'd know it was a comedy one I'd have put a different slant on it.

I have history here. A few years ago, while in weight loss mode, I was brousing through the Femail section (by accident) looking for inspiration, when I came across the headline:
"Do you comfort eat? It could be down to your cycle."
Properly spooked I didn't read any more and got rid of my mountain bike.