5 things any newly diagnosed type 1 should know

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean about the forum support. I definitely do better when I talk about things but feeling like a "bad diabetic" I buried my head in the sand and am only just getting a real grip on things again.

Besides the forum have you looked into any counselling/mental health services near you? Lots are online now and I found they can help you process things. Good luck!

At this time, COVID, it's very difficult to see a counsellor and our mental health support group closed down in 2019, just when we really need it. I guess it's just one day at a time. Thanks and take care.

AlisaFrost

Great article. Actually, I don`t suffer from diabetes but my dad has type 1 and this is information could be useful for him. Thank you for this information

Reactions: Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad your sister has your support, DanutaMorks. I have to say with all the ups and downs that my latest A1C was 7.1. YIPPEE! As long as it keeps going down I'm happy. I have to get back to reading Dr. Bernstein's book because things slip through the holes in my memory. And, I have been eating more protein and that helps a lot. A funny thing, though. I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this, however when I do heavy exercise, like shovelling, my BG goes up. I can walk along with my dog at a less strenuous pace and it goes down. I have been feeling better this past month, so that's a good thing. Good luck to all in this journey. Stay safe and stay well.

Reactions: julie hedges

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Lynnzhealth

It depends on the exercise for me too - digging or mowing drops me like a ton of bricks but a steady run for 40 mins keeps me flat. It’s best not to have any quick acting insulin onboard when you do more strenuous activity or have a carby snack beforehand and stop every 30 mins to test and check, exercise is good for mental well-being though so always make sure you have a plan before you do anything so you are prepared.

ArsenalCath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The rain and constant testing and insulin injections
Written by Stephen Ponder and from the sugarsurfing.com website, this extract is what all newly diagnosed type 1’s should be told, please share:

Type 1 diabetes often arrives totally unexpected. Shock, denial, fear, and sadness are usual first reactions. For most, the maelstrom of negative emotions swirling around the person and family will significantly influence what happens next. The following are the top 5 things I feel are essential to convey early into the diagnosis: if not at the very first encounter in the emergency room, hospital, or clinic. These points are based on 35 years of caring for hundreds of newly diagnosed persons with type 1 diabetes of all ages. They are tempered by my own 55 years of living with type 1 diabetes. They are not necessarily in order of importance, except for perhaps the first.

1. No one caused this. Many persons harbor feelings of guilt that something they did (or did not do) led to diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is the result of an autoimmune action taken against the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. No acts of volition or omission cause this to happen. That must be made clear from the start. There is no room for guilt and shame in diabetes and it is vital to dispel this at the beginning. I aim for this to be the first thing I teach. Often there is an audible sigh of relief after this information is shared. This makes it easier to introduce the other key points.

2. A normal life is the goal. Life with type 1 diabetes has never been brighter. With ongoing support and diabetes education, all of life’s opportunities remain within the grasp of persons with diabetes. When complemented with emerging tools and technologies, the person with diabetes should expect a fulfilling life and career in whatever field of endeavor they seek. Barriers still exist in a dwindling number of professions, such as active combat military service. The future has never been brighter for the person or child with type 1 diabetes to excel in whatever life path they set upon.

3. There is no good or bad. Life is a never-ending series of grades, ratings, and report cards. Diabetes can easily get become overrun with self-judgment or the unnecessary judgment of others. No matter how well meaning, there is no morality in diabetes. This is a metabolic disorder not of a person’s choosing. It requires knowledge, experience and understanding to manage it from day to day. Diabetes care is a process, not an outcome. Since diabetes is overrun with numbers, it is a seductive trap to use words like “good” and “bad’ in association with these, either with oneself or in front of loved ones with the condition. Aim to avoid using “good” or “bad” to describe diabetes or its management. Blood sugars can be “in range”, “high” or “low” and A1C results can be “in target” or “out of target”.

4. Diabetes care is defined by one’s choices. It is said the average adult makes 35,000 discrete choices each day. Over half of these choices are habit-driven (i.e., we are not always aware of them) and the rest are consciously made. But the total number remains staggering. Our everyday lives are defined by these choices, both those we act upon and those we do not. Acts of omission weigh heavily in the world of diabetes. Just imagine the effect of not taking a scheduled dose of insulin, or not checking a blood sugar value before a critical activity. What about not eating a meal after taking a dose of rapid-acting insulin? Choices are the currency of effective blood sugar self-management.

5. Do not compare yourself to others. You are unique. We live in the post-social media world. Many of us constantly share intimate details of our everyday lives and innermost feelings online with strangers through online platforms. Whether through a post, image, or video clip, we aim for others to see us the way we wish them to, and vice-versa. The diabetes online community can be invaluable as a means of support for persons with diabetes. But it can also be viewed by some as a yardstick upon which we measure ourselves. This leads to unfair comparisons, and at times envy. It can also be a source of bullying and shaming. Everyone’s diabetes is different in thousands of ways. Avoid comparing your life (or the life of your loved one with diabetes) to others. Like the good-bad trap, comparisons typically lead to jealousy and frustration.

Since being diagnosed with type 1 and having insulin injections I gave put in a phenomenal amount of weight. I’m blaming the insulin as my Carb Manager app says I very rarely go over 1000 calories a day. I need to lose weight as it is making me thoroughly miserable. I hate having diabetes type 1. I’m seriously considering not eating carbs and not having insulin. I know what will happen as before diagnosis I was hardly eating anything as food tasted foul but my weight was good. Then diagnosis, but my blood glucose is rarely within range it’s nearly always high so have to have large doses of insulin. I have spoken to my diabetes team so often but I still don’t understand what the hell is going on with my rotten body..

ArsenalCath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The rain and constant testing and insulin injections
Hello @Lynnzhealth

It depends on the exercise for me too - digging or mowing drops me like a ton of bricks but a steady run for 40 mins keeps me flat. It’s best not to have any quick acting insulin onboard when you do more strenuous activity or have a carby snack beforehand and stop every 30 mins to test and check, exercise is good for mental well-being though so always make sure you have a plan before you do anything so you are prepared.

If we are advised to nit have fast acting insulin before exercise as exercise reduces our glucose levels what is going on? If our body doesn’t produce insulin how does the glucose get into our cells without insulin? I just don’t get it.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since being diagnosed with type 1 and having insulin injections I gave put in a phenomenal amount of weight. I’m blaming the insulin as my Carb Manager app says I very rarely go over 1000 calories a day. I need to lose weight as it is making me thoroughly miserable. I hate having diabetes type 1. I’m seriously considering not eating carbs and not having insulin. I know what will happen as before diagnosis I was hardly eating anything as food tasted foul but my weight was good. Then diagnosis, but my blood glucose is rarely within range it’s nearly always high so have to have large doses of insulin. I have spoken to my diabetes team so often but I still don’t understand what the hell is going on with my rotten body..
I totally understand how you are feeling. I was first (mis)diagnosed as Type 2 when I was 69 in 2017. I totally changed my lifestyle (Keto) and managed to keep my A1C in the normal range and blood results were great, with no meds and no insulin. Suddenly, without warning, I went into a Diabetic Ketoacidosis episode and ended up in the ER in bad shape. There I was given the specialized test and I turned out to be T1 at 71. Unbelievable. I went through every emotion imaginable and had to learn everything all over again. Because the hospital doesn't understand just what diabetics should be eating, it totally threw me back into my old ways. It took me at least 9 months to get back on track. Now, I'm following a very low carb, protein, veggie way of eating. Trust me, many times I want to throw in the towel, too. I did not realize until just recently (nearly 73) just how badly it affected me for the past two years. I do have ups and downs with BG, and it boggles my mind. I find if I eat more protein my BG is better. My last A1C had come down from 7.6 to 7.1. Needless to say, my Diabetic Educator told me that that's a good range for me. No, I don't think so. I follow Dr. R. Bernstein's diabetes solution, other doctors who also have diabetes and know my A1C can be lower than that. She also doesn't like the Keto/low carb way of eating. I shake my head sometimes that the health professionals still think the old way is good. I can't believe the number of people I see where I live that follow their way and end up with amputations, heart problems and kidney dialysis and then die young. That is not for me. I only have one kidney and can't afford to tamper with that. My DE also told me not to worry about complications because they won't happen for probably 20 years. I couldn't believe she'd say that. If I eat carbs like she suggested my BG shoots up very high and it's hard to get it down. So, I don't do what she suggested. I also cook and bake following the Keto/low carb recipes in Dr. B's book and online from other followers of his and low carb lifestyle. It is definitely a roller coaster ride, however, I am learning what I need to do to keep me safe. Especially when I'm walking the dog, doing yard work or shovelling snow, etc. I also have data sheets where I keep track of readings before and after meals and the amts of insulin I take for each. That really keeps me on track. I was prescribed the glucose monitor/sensors because of my age, I suppose. I LOVE it. I really, really hope that you can figure out what you can eat or not eat and continue to take insulin. You need that to survive, being a T1. You are not alone here, although many days it sure feels like it. Take care and I hope you can figure out what you need to do. HUGS!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If we are advised to nit have fast acting insulin before exercise as exercise reduces our glucose levels what is going on? If our body doesn’t produce insulin how does the glucose get into our cells without insulin? I just don’t get it.

Hi Cath - insulin is a hormone which regulates the glucose in the body, exercise improves insulin sensitivity and if you have too much quick acting insulin in your system and start exercising then you are absorbing the glucose in your system and which puts you at risk of going hypo, so it's best to exercise without quick acting insulin on board. Your basal insulin covers your bodies needs as a background insulin, it's quick acting insulin which poses a problem if you're exercising.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Hi Cath,

At the point we receive our diagnosis our bodies have been starved of energy for some time, it's difficult to say how long in your case but I know when I was diagnosed i'd lost well over a stone in weight and once I started insulin therapy my body adjusted and I put on weight, I started on a pump a number of years afterwards and put on some more then, I have since taken up running and run around 2-3 times a week so have converted some of that to muscle but haven't lost any weight, I eat a low carb diet and control my glucose levels as tightly as I can, I do this for a couple of reasons, firstly to improve my mental health, as i've found running high glucose levels made me depressed, where as if I can run a tighter range I am more focused and feel more relaxed, I sleep better which again impacts my mental health. Eating food doesn't need to be a pain, but getting used to food which has a better outcome on our blood glucose levels is my goal, can you use a libre at all to watch the impact of food on your glucose levels ?

If you're levels are running high then you're not getting enough insulin, what will help as a starting point is to just keep a daily diary so recording the times for your blood glucose levels, food eaten/carbs consumed, insulin taken. Identifying patterns is key to getting better control, as you can show your team what you are doing, when and they can help you make adjustments. In time it's good to develop your knowledge and understanding more to help you make decisions.

I know at the moment things seem hard and you hate your t1 but you have to learn to live with it, so reaching a point of acceptance so it can exist without emotion, sadly it's not going away but running high will be making you feel rubbish so hopefully use the diary to start seeing what's happening, when etc and you can start to bring your levels down with the right insulin dosing.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
OK, now I'm really upset. My laptop is not working properly and the post I had just written disappeared. I will start again. I haven't been on this forum for about two years. Today I decided to check in and saw this post on the 5 things I need to know. I thought I was managing the emotional part pretty well, however, it seems I'm stuck in shock, fear, sadness and anger. I was just asking myself this week what did I do to get diabetes? I follow the LCHF lifestyle and get so frustrated when my BG goes up even though I'm not eating carbs. I so want to go out and eat something really 'normal', like a great big order of chips. I was (mis)diagnosed with T2 in March 2017, at 69, went on LCHF and everything was going well until a severe bout of DKA knocked me down in May 2019. I was then diagnosed T1 and am now on insulin. I'm now 72. My DE said I'm on the lowest doses that she's seen and doesn't understand when I tell her I'm not eating carbs. No sugar, no regular flours, nothing. I feel sometimes that I'm alone in this battle. I really need to reach acceptance so I can get rid of the sadness and anger, before it kills me. And, I know I need to be more regular on here because I need the support that I can't seem to find around here. I would really appreciate some tips from folks who are or have gone through all these emotions. Thanks. Stay safe and stay healthy.

Well, Lynnzhealth,
Snap!!
I am now 69, and I was also misdiagnosed with Type 2 in 2019. I also ended up with DKA and was rushed into hospital. I am also on low doses of insulin and on LCHF, and my last A1C was 47. But like you sometimes my BG goes high nevertheless. I am on the Libre flash glucose monitoring, and have just moved onto Libre 2 which has an alarm built in, but is presently reading very high for some odd reason I think. Yesterday morning it was 12.1. It has not been this high since I was first diagnosed so I am shocked.
I also struggle with depression and anxiety and a mood disorder! We seem to be in very similar situations?!

Last edited:

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
We could be. lololol Scared the heck out of me as I'm sure it did you. I definitely wasn't prepared for that. I am still confused. I was on very low doses of bolus at meals, however, this past few months it seems I need more, so I've been experimenting. I eat very low carb and when my BG goes up higher than I want, then I get frustrated. For instance, if my BG is 7.7 before lunch and I dose 1.5u and 2 hrs after my low carb lunch it is 13.7, I'm frustrated because that is out of range. I really want to be more consistent and stay within range. So, does that mean I didn't take enough? And, if my BG before lunch is 9.3, I dose 2.5u and 2 hrs after lunch my BG is 7.7, does that mean I dosed too much? My A1C in Sept. was 7.6. I want it to be lower, as in around 5. I live in Canada and we do the #s differently. And, if I don't eat as much protein as I need, would that make a difference? I have been reading Dr. Bernstein's book and trying to keep my BG down to avoid all the complications, however, I feel like I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Stay safe and stay well.

One thing that comes to my mind is that I try to ensure my BG is around 6 mmols before having any meal. If it is higher, if I can, practically, I will wait it out until it goes down a bit. Lunch for example I would usually have around 12, but there are times when I have postponed it as late as 14.00. That is of course not always practical, but if I can I do postpone. For Low Carb regimen, as I am on (mostly), I usually only have 1 unit a few minutes before eating. My basal at this time is 4 units. I think a minimum of animal protein works for me, particularly in the evening. If I have too big a portion of say, salmon, I find my BG can go rather high over night. I am working my way through Bernstein too!

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I'm glad your sister has your support, DanutaMorks. I have to say with all the ups and downs that my latest A1C was 7.1. YIPPEE! As long as it keeps going down I'm happy. I have to get back to reading Dr. Bernstein's book because things slip through the holes in my memory. And, I have been eating more protein and that helps a lot. A funny thing, though. I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this, however when I do heavy exercise, like shovelling, my BG goes up. I can walk along with my dog at a less strenuous pace and it goes down. I have been feeling better this past month, so that's a good thing. Good luck to all in this journey. Stay safe and stay well.

I did read somewhere that exercise that involves weight living, for example, dumbells, can make BG go up, whereas walking or running makes it go down. I find that interesting!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am on the Libre flash glucose monitoring, and have just moved onto Libre 2 which has an alarm built in, but is presently reading very high for some odd reason I think. Yesterday morning it was 12.1. It has not been this high since I was first diagnosed so I am shocked.

Sometimes T1 blood sugars can be unpredictable (eg illness, fault with insulin or pen, stress, overuse of injection site,...) but I would also strongly recommend that you double check your sensor result against a glucometer if you are surprised by the result. They can be inaccurate.
There is also the possibility that if you were only diagnosed in 2019 you are still producing some of your own insulin, and that amount has recently gone down.

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that comes to my mind is that I try to ensure my BG is around 6 mmols before having any meal. If it is higher, if I can, practically, I will wait it out until it goes down a bit. Lunch for example I would usually have around 12, but there are times when I have postponed it as late as 14.00. That is of course not always practical, but if I can I do postpone. For Low Carb regimen, as I am on (mostly), I usually only have 1 unit a few minutes before eating. My basal at this time is 4 units. I think a minimum of animal protein works for me, particularly in the evening. If I have too big a portion of say, salmon, I find my BG can go rather high over night. I am working my way through Bernstein too!

I find what you say about animal protein at night really interesting.

I have noted the exact same and I thought I was just missing something else. Thank you for sharing that.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, Lynnzhealth,
Snap!!
I am now 69, and I was also misdiagnosed with Type 2 in 2019. I also ended up with DKA and was rushed into hospital. I am also on low doses of insulin and on LCHF, and my last A1C was 47. But like you sometimes my BG goes high nevertheless. I am on the Libre flash glucose monitoring, and have just moved onto Libre 2 which has an alarm built in, but is presently reading very high for some odd reason I think. Yesterday morning it was 12.1. It has not been this high since I was first diagnosed so I am shocked.
I also struggle with depression and anxiety and a mood disorder! We seem to be in very similar situations?!

We do seem to be. I'm going to check my family tree to see if we're related. lol I don't think I'm getting enough insulin, and I think I'm out of the honeymoon phase. My last A1C was 6.8 and my DE wasn't very happy. She thinks because of my age, etc, that it should be higher. Nope, because that's when complications start. I might be 73, but I still don't want to lose any limbs or have heart problems or whatever. She also does some algorithm thing and has me on such low doses that I go high if I look at food. I don't understand why she does that when she sees the records I keep. It proves that the low doses do not work anymore. She said I keep records better than anyone else she deals with. So why can't she understand? I would rather have a DE who actually has T1D so that they know exactly how we feel on this rollercoaster. So, I adjust my insulin depending on how high my BG is before meals. And, I've found out this summer that humidity and T1D do not play nice together. I walk the dog early, however, I've had to cut the walks short because my BG plummets quickly. I carry chocolate and dexcom with me. Thank goodness I have the Libre Freestyle monitor so I can check my BG when I'm out and about. And, I have to cut the grass or weed when it's not quite so humid. It bugs me that the things I could do in one day I now have to divide up. Of course, age might have something to do with that. I cooked some chicken breasts and steak in my air fryer this morning to wrap and freeze for meals. If I don't do that I don't eat enough protein. I'd rather sweets. My BG still shoots up sometimes after meals for whatever reason. My first reaction is - what the HECK?? However, I'm slowly learning not to panic. I hope both of us can get as good a handle on this as we can so we can live a longer, healthier life. Take care and stay safe.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
We do seem to be. I'm going to check my family tree to see if we're related. lol I don't think I'm getting enough insulin, and I think I'm out of the honeymoon phase. My last A1C was 6.8 and my DE wasn't very happy. She thinks because of my age, etc, that it should be higher. Nope, because that's when complications start. I might be 73, but I still don't want to lose any limbs or have heart problems or whatever. She also does some algorithm thing and has me on such low doses that I go high if I look at food. I don't understand why she does that when she sees the records I keep. It proves that the low doses do not work anymore. She said I keep records better than anyone else she deals with. So why can't she understand? I would rather have a DE who actually has T1D so that they know exactly how we feel on this rollercoaster. So, I adjust my insulin depending on how high my BG is before meals. And, I've found out this summer that humidity and T1D do not play nice together. I walk the dog early, however, I've had to cut the walks short because my BG plummets quickly. I carry chocolate and dexcom with me. Thank goodness I have the Libre Freestyle monitor so I can check my BG when I'm out and about. And, I have to cut the grass or weed when it's not quite so humid. It bugs me that the things I could do in one day I now have to divide up. Of course, age might have something to do with that. I cooked some chicken breasts and steak in my air fryer this morning to wrap and freeze for meals. If I don't do that I don't eat enough protein. I'd rather sweets. My BG still shoots up sometimes after meals for whatever reason. My first reaction is - what the HECK?? However, I'm slowly learning not to panic. I hope both of us can get as good a handle on this as we can so we can live a longer, healthier life. Take care and stay safe.

Yes, I had a similar problem with the DE actually encouraging me to let the BG go UP after meals and not worry. Well, like you, I want to avoid complications later if I can, so I have also been quite meticulous about keeping BG records. Since going onto Libre 2, which indicates higher measurements than my Finger Prick results, and finding on the first morning after the new sensor that my BG was 12.1, I panicked. I cannot remember my BG ever being as high as this since I was first diagnosed in 2019! so I have upped my Levemir to 5 units each morning. One Consultant said categorically that I simply would NOT have complications because I was controlling my BG so well....Yet now I realise that Libre 1 was very much underestimating my levels! The medical professionals do not yet seem to understand the peculiarities of Libre, and I suppose it is up to the patients to teach them! They did not seem to appreciate or believe me when I told them it was under-estimating my BG....
Yes, I find too that I have to limit, and organise my day according to how my BG is doing, and what I eat. I have salads most of the time, and that means I can keep BG in reasonable order, but if I have a ready meal - twice a week usually, just for variety ---, then I have to monitor it much more closely as it tends to shoot up or down and is quite unpredictable.

Also, like you, I am learning not to panic, especially recently with these , for me, anyway, very high readings - in the 9s 10s, and one 12. My last A1C was 47 which I was disappointed with as Libre 1 told me I was 40, so add 7! This was frequently the case in the differential. I could not understand why the disparity, but now it becomes clearer that Libre 1 was reading low, as now, Libre 2 is reading High. So for my next A1c, hold your breath!!

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Sometimes T1 blood sugars can be unpredictable (eg illness, fault with insulin or pen, stress, overuse of injection site,...) but I would also strongly recommend that you double check your sensor result against a glucometer if you are surprised by the result. They can be inaccurate.
There is also the possibility that if you were only diagnosed in 2019 you are still producing some of your own insulin, and that amount has recently gone down.

Yes thank you. I agree. But it's rather odd don't you think that that rise in BG should exactly correspond to the change to Libre 2?

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I find what you say about animal protein at night really interesting.

I have noted the exact same and I thought I was just missing something else. Thank you for sharing that.

Yes, I had read that protein won't have dramatic effects on BG, and that it's digestion being slower, helps, but I have found that if I have say, an average -even, portion of fish with a salad, say, in the evening, BG tends to go up over night quite significantly. I therefore have reduced the size of the portion, and this seems to keep the BG down...

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I had a similar problem with the DE actually encouraging me to let the BG go UP after meals and not worry. Well, like you, I want to avoid complications later if I can, so I have also been quite meticulous about keeping BG records. Since going onto Libre 2, which indicates higher measurements than my Finger Prick results, and finding on the first morning after the new sensor that my BG was 12.1, I panicked. I cannot remember my BG ever being as high as this since I was first diagnosed in 2019! so I have upped my Levemir to 5 units each morning. One Consultant said categorically that I simply would NOT have complications because I was controlling my BG so well....Yet now I realise that Libre 1 was very much underestimating my levels! The medical professionals do not yet seem to understand the peculiarities of Libre, and I suppose it is up to the patients to teach them! They did not seem to appreciate or believe me when I told them it was under-estimating my BG....
Yes, I find too that I have to limit, and organise my day according to how my BG is doing, and what I eat. I have salads most of the time, and that means I can keep BG in reasonable order, but if I have a ready meal - twice a week usually, just for variety ---, then I have to monitor it much more closely as it tends to shoot up or down and is quite unpredictable.

Also, like you, I am learning not to panic, especially recently with these , for me, anyway, very high readings - in the 9s 10s, and one 12. My last A1C was 47 which I was disappointed with as Libre 1 told me I was 40, so add 7! This was frequently the case in the differential. I could not understand why the disparity, but now it becomes clearer that Libre 1 was reading low, as now, Libre 2 is reading High. So for my next A1c, hold your breath!!

Goodness, we do sound like we're having the same issues. If I think my Libre is too low/high, I check with a finger prick. Yesterday, my a.m. BG was 8.8, so I dosed 5 of Tresiba (long-acting) and 6 of Humalog. Two hours later it was 4.2 (while I was walking the dog). Then this a.m. my BG was 8.8 again. I knew I was taking the dog for a walk, so I dosed 5 of Tresiba and 5.5 of Humalog. Same exact breakfast as yesterday. Two hours later, my BG was 11. I can't figure out why it does that. So, I did some heavy yardwork and came in and checked, and my BG was 3.1!!! It is slowly going up now. I find it takes longer to get the BG down than it does getting it up. And, I read an article, on here I think, that having the Bariatric surgery makes a difference in the way/speed food is digested. So that affects insulin/glucose. I seriously want my BG to stay within the target range - 5-10. Maybe I'm delusional.

I'm bad about eating enough protein, but I am doing much better this week. I do like some salads, mostly Chicken Caesar. And, lately I've been having lightheaded spells when I get up from a chair. I just read a post about that on this site today. If I keep doing that I will have to go see my Doctor. If it's not one thing, it's another. T1D certainly keeps one on their toes.

Some days after all the decisions, the ups and downs and the stress of everything, I just want to crawl in bed, pull the covers over my head and stay there. Alas, I can't because I have a dog and cat and they wouldn't allow it. With that, I better get moving here. It's great talking with someone who is experiencing the same issues. Have an awesome weekend. Stay safe and stay well.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Goodness, we do sound like we're having the same issues. If I think my Libre is too low/high, I check with a finger prick. Yesterday, my a.m. BG was 8.8, so I dosed 5 of Tresiba (long-acting) and 6 of Humalog. Two hours later it was 4.2 (while I was walking the dog). Then this a.m. my BG was 8.8 again. I knew I was taking the dog for a walk, so I dosed 5 of Tresiba and 5.5 of Humalog. Same exact breakfast as yesterday. Two hours later, my BG was 11. I can't figure out why it does that. So, I did some heavy yardwork and came in and checked, and my BG was 3.1!!! It is slowly going up now. I find it takes longer to get the BG down than it does getting it up. And, I read an article, on here I think, that having the Bariatric surgery makes a difference in the way/speed food is digested. So that affects insulin/glucose. I seriously want my BG to stay within the target range - 5-10. Maybe I'm delusional.

I'm bad about eating enough protein, but I am doing much better this week. I do like some salads, mostly Chicken Caesar. And, lately I've been having lightheaded spells when I get up from a chair. I just read a post about that on this site today. If I keep doing that I will have to go see my Doctor. If it's not one thing, it's another. T1D certainly keeps one on their toes.

Some days after all the decisions, the ups and downs and the stress of everything, I just want to crawl in bed, pull the covers over my head and stay there. Alas, I can't because I have a dog and cat and they wouldn't allow it. With that, I better get moving here. It's great talking with someone who is experiencing the same issues. Have an awesome weekend. Stay safe and stay well.

Yes, I agree, it's exhausting having to manage blood glucose ! And when you are older, with all the other minor, or even major ailments and illnesses perhaps, it can really be a big strain....Sometimes it has really got me down. I cannot be as spontaneous as I was, everything has to be thought about, planned for, and I have to be vigilant, always. It has got better though, in that I do not now get quite so anxious when bg goes right up or down, as long as I have with me what is necessary, I think, I will be okay. But sometimes I am concerned about later, when maybe I am not quite so competent at dealing with all this.

Just to say that I usually just take 1 unit of Novorapid (fast acting) insulin when I get up, whatever my reading is and this seems to help bring down what I presume in the Dawn Effect. And very recently the Levemir I have raised from 4 to 5 units as I have already mentioned. I usually aim to have lunch around 12, but do not have any breakfast, just a drink of water. This helps and was recommended by a doctor who himself has Type 1, but is not my medical doctor, just someone I happen to have come across who I can speak to every now and again on the telephone for free....A very kind person, and someone who really seems to know what he is doing with this. Of course he has to take care not to over-reach his status if you see what I mean...? But mostly I cope on my own.

When my BG went up, I would go on my elliptical machine indoors, and after 10 mins or so of that, it would bring it down fairly predictably, and nicely, but now I find I get too tired to do more than 5 minutes at a time.

My weight is about 11 stone 10Ibs, and my height 5' 7 ", and I would really like to bring that down a bit, but its now too far out of the BMI range which anyway seems to be discredited so I am not too fussy about that. My BP has been very variable, and maybe more of concern when it goes to 145 systolic, but yesterday it was a happy 118. I understand that if BP is variable, that can be more indicative of CVD issues than simply a BP that is quite high like above...? All these aspects seem to be important as a whole, regarding a person's health...

I do get very tired these days. How about you? It is great to be able to share like this, particularly when we seem to have so many similar characteristics!! :)