1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

5 things any newly diagnosed type 1 should know

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Juicyj, Jul 4, 2020.

1. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

Yes, I too had help from Mental Health services for many years. But I came to the conclusion that after so many years of struggle, I had learnt quite enough to go it on my own. I think mental health workers come in all sorts and sizes, and sometimes can be actually very harmful. Anxieties levels and depression can actually be exacerbated by having to deal with Type 1, as has happened in certain ways for myself, but really with this illness, no one else is really able practically to help very much it seems, so I have felt finally, it really is all up to me, and I cannot expect much help from others - most of the professionals ---whether mental health or diabetes professionals, don't seem to be as useful to me as I am to myself now!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I went to a Counsellor that my Doctor recommended a few years back because she's part of the clinic. She never went over anything about what my childhood/teen years was like. But she did tell me I'm in a rut and need to go back to Al-Anon (which I attended because my ex was an alcoholic). And, she's a mental health nurse? Could have fooled me. My doc didn't even pick up on my anxiety. I went to another Counsellor and that's one of the first things she mentioned. She noticed it right away. I've been having a rough week, with all these ups and downs. Yesterday, I went way down and I was also feeling sick to my stomach. I tell you I felt the down yesterday and so I laid on the couch all day. It took all the good out of me. I talked with my DE this week and she told me I didn't need to dose for protein (obviously she hasn't read any of the new studies) only carbs. When it's humid and I go for a walk my sugar falls fast. She told me to reduce my dose by 50%. I reduced it some and it still went down. I wish I had a medical professional who actually has T1 just so they know what I am feeling and how much insulin I actually need. She keeps talking about her 'algorithm' that says this much or that much. Dealing with T1 is very mentally straining, especially getting it so suddenly and so old(ish). Sometimes after I talk with the DE I am so confused because she's feeding me information from 30 years ago, and then I read updated things online (from actual Doctors/hospitals) and wonder "who the heck do I believe?" I believe the doctors who have T1 because they have experience. She's going by the old medical books. I would like both of us to be in the target range as much as possible and avoid all the highs/lows. So, good luck to us for taking our health into our own hands. We know how we feel. Take care and have a great weekend.

3. LionChild

Hi, yes Lynnzhealth, I do as much research as I can without it quite taking over my whole life!?, and whatever any diabetic nurse or even consultant says, I find out for myself and see what works. In my opinion that is the very best way to approaching this. As you say , many of the diabetic nurses seem to be so brainwashed by past training that they do not know about nor appreciate the things have been discovered since their training. The NHS is often, it seems to me, a bit stuck in tradition with their views, and REAL experience cannot simply be replaced simply by orthodox learning. Best thing, seems to me, is to consider everything, but keep monitoring in real life and testing what we are told (from wherever), to see what shows itself to be valid....?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been reading some articles on T1D and I find them quite interesting. This is one of them and has lots of articles. There are some things I disagree with, however, still lots of good info. https://diatribe.org/diabetes-type/type-1 I also ordered Adam Brown's book on Amazon.ca (Bright Spots & Landmines) for my Kindle, so it was cheaper. He likes to go low carb, which I also like. I don't know if you've seen this site yet, so I thought I'd let you know. Hope you don't mind.

5. LionChild

No, quite the contrary. Thank you very much - I shall take a look at both recommendations! Thank you!

6. ChelsM96

ChelsM96 Type 1 · Newbie

I needed to read this, as being newly diagnosed it's a massive shock. This is a good starting point for people, so thank you

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook