Why won't the NHS tell you the secret to treating diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the same amount of food in terms of energy/calories whether you eat it as fat or potatoes.
Do equal amount of potato calories do the same thing to your blood glucose levels as fat?

Tannith

BANNED
Do equal amount of potato calories do the same thing to your blood glucose levels as fat?
No, but they do more or less the same thing to my weight. I do understand that , as the body uses far more calories processing protein than it does fat, the net calories the body can glean from the different macronutrients is different. There will be fewer absorbed from protein (70 to 75% of the calories eaten) than from fat (the body absorbs nearly all (97 to 98%) of the calories from fat eaten, and (92 to 93%) of the calories from carbohydrate eaten. This makes protein the best food to eat from a weight loss point of view, and fat the very worst, as almost every calorie from it hits the body's fat stores.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fat the very worst, as almost every calorie from it hits the body's fat stores.
No, because it doesn't trigger an insulin response, so it is used, not stored. Why do you think it goes straight into storage? Carbs trigger an insulin response and is stored. Your body can't store unless insulin response is involved.

Where do you get your information on fat storage? Fats we eat are not the same thing as fats we store. They are different, but the terms are often misunderstood and confused.

Carbs, if not used for exercise, or if a person has insulin resistance, are turned by insulin into stored fats. The fats we eat are not.

Tannith

BANNED
But in terms of satiety and nutritional benefit it's like 2 different worlds.
We can but try and point you in the easiest direction but it seems like you prefer pain to pleasure (which is a shame).
Since you yourself chose to lose such an absolutely phenomenal amount of weight -well over 8 stone- the weight of an entire person- I am surprised you would not want others to have the same benefit.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since you yourself chose to lose such an absolutely phenomenal amount of weight -well over 8 stone- the weight of an entire person- I am surprised you would not want others to have the same benefit.
I know I said I was out but.. @bulkbiker DOES want others to benefit from his experiences. Trouble is you are one of those he is trying to help and you won't listen because you have faith in experts rather than his experience. He has helped me understand ketosis and weight loss. I know you won't listen but fat does not make you fat, it's the carbs that go with it that do that.
I think you have too much respect for experts in general and not enough for those like the Doctors Unwin who listen to their patients.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm weird, because my body doesn't react to food as yours does.
I have a condition which produces too much insulin.
I don't produce insulin or very little when I eat protein, saturated fats or some vegetables.
My initial insulin response is without meds very weak.
When I have too much circulating insulin because of my condition and insulin resistance, this will do me more harm and I get the symptoms and hypoglycaemic episodes because of insulin.
So I avoid the foods that causes the excess insulin.
It has nothing to do with calories, it has nothing to do with balancing energy in and out. It is your hormonal response to the foods you eat. And how your metabolism copes with it.
Before diagnosis when I was unaware of my condition, I ate all the recommended dietary recommendations of the NHS. This was killing me because all the excess insulin was putting fat on my organs. The wrong types of fat. I was putting weight on because of the amount of carbs I was eating.
Since diagnosis, I initially lost in the first month, two stone, in the subsequent couple of months I lost another four stone.
I am carb intolerant, and I am really certain that many T2s are as well.
So called healthy foods, basic every day mundane normal foods like potato and bread will gradually kill me.
Shocking isn't it!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He does. Your way is not going to work when combined with type 2 diabetes. His way does. He is trying (as we all are) to get you to understand that you are mistaken. Bulkbiker is a strong proponent of what works and supportive of others.

@bulkbiker, and others, are trying to alert people, including yourself, that the traditional calorie idea doesnt work, and it actually counterproductive in terms of both blood sugar stability and reduction, and long term health.

Supporting the low calorie methods is not a benefit, its a disservice to promote something harmful.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I do..

I also want them to be able to maintain that loss without starvation for 5 years as I have..

That's why I would never, ever recommend a crash diet as you are suggesting.

Tannith

BANNED
As a general rule, liver and pancreatic fat is the problem, mostly driven by excess dietary fructose and glucose. But carbohydrate restriction burns all this off just as effectively as starvation. Arguably more so, and with none of the downsides of hunger or long term problems associated with torpedoing your metabolism.

In my opinion only, of course.
I am trying to get my FBG down, like most people on here. You pointed out it was 6.52. Yesterday it was 5.9 so I am improving. Ideally am looking to get to a couple of weeks at 4.5, which I think would be perfect.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying to get my FBG down, like most people on here. You pointed out it was 6.52. Yesterday it was 5.9 so I am improving. Ideally am looking to get to a couple of weeks at 4.5, which I think would be perfect.
How many calories a day are you currently eating?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No, but they do more or less the same thing to my weight. I do understand that , as the body uses far more calories processing protein than it does fat, the net calories the body can glean from the different macronutrients is different. There will be fewer absorbed from protein (70 to 75% of the calories eaten) than from fat (the body absorbs nearly all (97 to 98%) of the calories from fat eaten, and (92 to 93%) of the calories from carbohydrate eaten. This makes protein the best food to eat from a weight loss point of view, and fat the very worst, as almost every calorie from it hits the body's fat stores.

You don't seem to understand how an insulin response works... carbs require the most amount of insulin and fat requires the least amount. @lucylocket61 explained it quite well.

FBG levels can change from one day to the next for many variable reasons. Just because it is lower one day then the previous could be down to timing of the testing or what you ate the night before and other variables, meter accuracy, how well you slept the night before, stress etc etc. Progress cannot be confirmed by just two FBG readings. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I see that this place is still as crazy as it was when I stopped regularly contributing.

Tannith

BANNED
You don't seem to understand how an insulin response works... carbs require the most amount of insulin and fat requires the least amount. @lucylocket61 explained it quite well.

FBG levels can change from one day to the next for many variable reasons. Just because it is lower one day then the previous could be down to timing of the testing or what you ate the night before and other variables, meter accuracy, how well you slept the night before, stress etc etc. Progress cannot be confirmed by just two FBG readings. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
That's why I'm aiming for a full 2 weeks of low FBG levels eg 4.5

Tannith

BANNED
How many calories a day are you currently eating?
Yesterday orange juice200 cal half tin mushy peas 76 cal half tin chicken in whitesauce 254 cal 100g pasta 400 cal half tin fruit cocktail 128 cal = 1058 cal. Maybe a bit less pasta -son cooked it so I'm a bit unsure.
Edit to correct Actually 200 ml (not cals) orange juice that's only 140 cals but also forgot 3x tea with semi skimmed milk so total cals probably about the same or a tad more.

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday orange juice200 cal half tin mushy peas 76 cal half tin chicken in whitesauce 254 cal 100g pasta 400 cal half tin fruit cocktail 128 cal = 1058 cal. Maybe a bit less pasta -son cooked it so I'm a bit unsure.
Well you're certainly not skimping on the carbs.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit to correct Actually 200 ml (not cals) orange juice that's only 140 cals but also forgot 3x tea with semi skimmed milk so total cals probably about the same or a tad more.
That's a LOT of carbs. You clearly are not prepared to either try to reduce carbs, or listen even the calorie counter advice on its page about your low level of calories being harmful.

I'm done.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

and your FBG, with any others measured, were what?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Concentrated food are really not recommended, it is so quick to turn to glucose, that even a mouthful is worse than a high GI bread.
Whitesauce, manufactured sugar laden, carbs by the spoonful.
Fruit cocktail, more fructose and depending on the juice, too much sugar and carbs.
Pasta, probably 90% carbs, even a small spoonful is too much.
Skimmed milk has had the natural goodness taken out and unnatural sugar to get the taste.
If you want to lose weight, every time you eat similar foods high in carbs and sugar, the less likely you are to shed pounds.

I will repeat my life experiences with food and how to control your metabolism.

Don't count calories, don't count energy in or out to balance, that doesn't work.
Eat to your meter, discover the foods that continually spike you too high.
Avoid the food that will spike you.
It is the carbs and sugars that have a bearing on your insulin response to that food, if there is any imbalance in the hormonal response, then the spike, which is the elephant in the room, and you should avoid, with the probability of insulin resistance if you are diabetic, the likelihood that you will gain weight.
Too much unused insulin in your blood is bad for your health.
Only carbs and sugar have an effect on how much insulin you produce.

That is the simplified version.

That is a lot of carbs!

Status
Not open for further replies.