Type 1'stars R Us

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DCUKMod. That's extremely efficient!! Ours is set up the same, so I can order on 18 December, but because I can only take specific brands in some tablets,(which the chemist won't get until the script lands, even though I get them every month) it often takes longer than a week for them to obtain them. With the weekend in the mix as well, I'm going to have to order them earlier than the 18th, so will have to contact the surgery.

Am very impressed with the speed you get yours though, as even with tablets that it doesn't matter which brand I have I can never order in the morning and collect in the afternoon.

I'm the same with Levothyroxine. TEVA brand makes me feel really sick, but others are fine. I've never had a delay on collecting on that basis. My script is marked every month.

Having said all that yesterday, yesterday it didn't go so well.

My OH has an ear infection, so spoke with the surgery who prescribed antibiotics. Attestations that "They'll be there by lunchtime" resulted in 3 visits to the pharmacy and calls to the surgery being batted from one to the other. One shifting the blame to the other. I didn't care where the glitch was, I just wanted to collect the script and get out of the cold and damp.

Never mind, we got them in the end and they're under way.

I guess the best of systems go wrong sometimes.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, still dark, but did remember to say "white rabbits".
BG ballistic but that's my fault. I stole a stollen square last night.
I think a bike ride is needed and a renewed approach to food. I'm eating but not burning it off.

On a different note. Has anyone heard the idea that diet fizzy drinks cause fatty liver and insulin resistance?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, still dark, but did remember to say "white rabbits".
BG ballistic but that's my fault. I stole a stollen square last night.
I think a bike ride is needed and a renewed approach to food. I'm eating but not burning it off.

On a different note. Has anyone heard the idea that diet fizzy drinks cause fatty liver and insulin resistance?

Hello, Yes I’ve read about that and there are people who avoid sweetener like the plague.

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I survived, Dobby had a unit left. Close call :) I finally, finally managed to get an appointment for a flu vaccine. I called up back in October to only be told my GP surgery and my pharmacies ran out of stock. NHS have been pestering me since. 7.6 and I’ll be on my way soon :)

Reactions: Antje77 and hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB do Morrisons really sell LivLife? Mine doesn't seem to stock it (though I rarely go there) and the only place I can get it is at a Waitrose.

@Lee farrington my husband was a falconer so we had ferrets. Lyn is beautiful, looks just like one we had called Burglar Bill. His girlfriend was Swag, and looked more like Caesar. Billy was very amenable to walking on a harness, so sometimes you'd see my husband in the village, hawk on wrist, ferret on leash and dog by his side. Local kids loved it!

Reactions: Lee farrington

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
But do you think it's true @MeiChanski ?
I started with Ibs like symptoms after eating some sugar free biscuits which had sweeteners in them, just starting to feel better now, had stomach issues for 2 weeks! However the same does not happen to me when drinking diet cola/Pepsi. I do tend to only pour a little as a treat, I reckon everything’s bad for you if you have too much! But all in moderation, now and then I don’t think is a problem

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But do you think it's true @MeiChanski ?

I believe it does happen, from what I read in research papers, they did it on a sample of people who over excessively drink full sugar soft drinks like coke or diet drinks. I rarely drink it unless it’s with gin or a meal, no harm in that I suppose. I also try to avoid certain sweeteners like aspartame.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I started with Ibs like symptoms after eating some sugar free biscuits which had sweeteners in them, just starting to feel better now, had stomach issues for 2 weeks! However the same does not happen to me when drinking diet cola/Pepsi. I do tend to only pour a little as a treat, I reckon everything’s bad for you if you have too much! But all in moderation, now and then I don’t think is a problem
Sometime sugar free biscuits have sorbitol @Choosehappy and that gives me the squits. I can't really see though how diet coke etc could affect liver and insulin

Reactions: Choosehappy

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometime sugar free biscuits have sorbitol @Choosehappy and that gives me the squits. I can't really see though how diet coke etc could affect liver and insulin

Apparently the chemicals (sweetener amongst other things) in soft drinks cause a reaction with your liver. (Damages cells?) It’s reported that soft drinks is as bad as alcohol on your liver, fatty liver develops, then insulin resistance.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was doing DAFNE again, my nurse did mention we are at risk for fatty liver disease as well

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
IMG-20201201-WA0000.jpg

Good evening, I wanted to post this in the morning, but just didn't have the time.
BG's have been all over the place for the past few days, not feeling unwell at all, so diabetes.....duh-beats me :rolleyes::meh:
Crossing my fingers for better readings tomorrow:)
Stay safe

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So lovely to see Snoopy. My husband of 41 years today, used to draw little pictures of Snoopy and Woodstock on the back of the envelopes of the letters he wrote to me. Our first years together, when I was 16 and he 19, we used to write each week as he was away at university. No mobiles or internet in those days. The postman delivering those letters got so involved in the Snoopy stories that he bought us a wedding present. Just eaten Homemade Paella and had a bottle of red, to remember our lovely Tenerife Ruby wedding last year with my oldest friend and partner. Not hopeful with the numbers. But hey! It’s one day.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Happy Anniversary @becca59

@SueJB I have read where people that drink diet soda (aspartame) actually don't lose weight and a percentage actually gain weight. The why is unclear still I think. Aspartame is the most complained about ingredient in the US for side effects. Aspartame also has a really checkered past and got okayed under suspicious circumstances. I included a couple of links regarding that at the bottom.

This article is from a magazine that has been highly respected in the health food world. They have always been really up to date on publishing data from research studies. If you scroll down to where it says artificial sweeteners cause weight gain it has a little information on insulin resistance.
https://www.lifeextension.com/magaz...esistance-diabetes-and-cardiovascular-disease

Also some other interesting data.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/health/diet-sodas-stroke-dementia-study/

https://www.arizonaadvancedmedicine...ne/aspartame-history-of-getting-fda-approval/
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-rumsfeld-and-the-s_b_805581

Reactions: MeiChanski

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So lovely to see Snoopy. My husband of 41 years today, used to draw little pictures of Snoopy and Woodstock on the back of the envelopes of the letters he wrote to me. Our first years together, when I was 16 and he 19, we used to write each week as he was away at university. No mobiles or internet in those days. The postman delivering those letters got so involved in the Snoopy stories that he bought us a wedding present. Just eaten Homemade Paella and had a bottle of red, to remember our lovely Tenerife Ruby wedding last year with my oldest friend and partner. Not hopeful with the numbers. But hey! It’s one day.
Happy anniversary to you both x

Reactions: Marie 2