What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a good day today. No food so far - just 3 cups of tea and a quick slug of water as I passed the tap. Started taking the extra Furosimide yesterday and by evening I was in agony - don't know if it was the Furosimide or coincidence. Early (for me) to bed in the hope of just sleeping it off or just resting it off. Gave up on that idea at 2 am and got up to take a full dose of extra strength Co-codamol. Couldn't sit in the chair so went back to bed and did fall asleep off and on until 10 am. More Co-codamol and slept in the chair until No 2 son arrived with the mail at 2 pm. Slept right through Neil emptying and filling the dishwasher.

FBG was 10.9. Haven't tested again.

I have a sausage casserole sitting on the stove, reheating over a very low heat - sausages, onions, carrots, celery in a veg stock. Beginning to feel the need for some food, so will have that as today's OMAD. Feel the need for fluids so will start drinking water and tea to get the levels up.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast CWC nut granola
Lunch one slice of bread with chicken mayonnaise and lettuce. Cup of tea.
Visit from my daughter, we walked along the canal towpath, met only a few dog walkers. Was lovely to see her, but occasion was tinged with guilt, as she had already been to see my parents, so should not really been visiting me as well. Then she was calling to see my sister and her other grandfather on the way home. All visits were outside, but I still am not happy that she does this. Similar agenda next week with different people. She says both her workplace and the childrens school are covid free. Am i stressing unnecessarily

Opinions please.

Don't think we will be going there for Christmas. Grieving for the lack of contact with my grandchildren. How is it ok for her to go wherever she wants, yet I cant visit my parents?
Dinner, cauliflowerand brocolli cheese, possibly my favourite food (, had large portion and went back for more later, )pork chop, leeks. Glass of wine, four squares of chocolate. Didn't make me any happier. When will I learn that?
Lemon tea at bedtime

Last edited:
Reactions: zauberflote

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today will be leftover bell pepper soup and a nice burger.
Did grocery shopping today and I want to make chicory with ham and cheese tomorrow. I also know exactly how I want it: the way my boyfriend's mom from over 20 years ago made it.
Problem is, I have no clue how she cooked it and no way to contact her to ask, if she is even still alive she must be close to 90 years old...

Google wasn't very helpful either so I thought to ask here :)
I don't want my chicory wrapped in a slice of ham with cheese on top, I want it chopped and made into something like a thick sauce with the ham and cheese in. Looks very unappetising but I loved the dish. Possibly there was some flour or cornstarch involved in the recipe, if so, so be it.

Any thoughts on how to make this?

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb so sorry to hear about the pain and sleeping problems.: B= Assam TWAMIS: Dockey CWCSFCS; L Tea - then Costa CWCSFCS ; EM: Will be a cheese topped Waitrose Gourmet burger in SLC roll with reduced sugar Tommy K, salad+Vits. Likely to be a Whisky and an oompa loompa pkt of cheesies later with football.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast CWC nut granola
Lunch one slice of bread with chicken mayonnaise and lettuce. Cup of tea.
Visit from my daughter, we walked along the canal towpath, met only a few dog walkers. Was lovely to see her, but occasion was tinged with guilt, as she had already been to see my parents, so should not really been visiting me as well. Then she was calling to see my sister and her other grandfather on the way home. All visits were outside, but I still am not happy that she does this. Similar agenda next week with different people. She says both her workplace and the childrens school are covid free. Am i stressing unnecessarily

Opinions please.

Don't think we will be going there for Christmas. Grieving for the lack of contact with my grandchildren. How is it ok for her to go wherever she wants, yet I cant visit my parents?
Dinner, cauliflowerand brocolli cheese, possibly my favourite food (, had large portion and went back for more later, )pork chop, leeks. Glass of wine, four squares of chocolate. Didn't make me any happier. When will I learn that?
Lemon tea at bedtime
I personally, think the clue is outside. I'm not meeting anyone in enclosed spaces but walk regularly with various friends. My next door neighbour (90 plus!) ses each of her daughters frequently, but always outside.
She had dose 1 of the vaccine today. She's quite proud she was first among her friends to receive it.

Reactions: DJC3 and SlimLizzy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10:00 3 eggsscrambled and a yes bar
Hour and half walk

Mid afternoon very hungry. 2/3 Pack of pork crunches

D 6pm 2 lamb chops does in airfryer. Mashed swede, courgettes and broccoli. Instant gravy.
3 glasses (yes 3) red wine but watered down with diet ginger ale (don't knock it until you've tried it)
One tiny mince pie with double cream

Cokked the swede as "singing swede" in the microwave. Just put it in whole and keep giving it 5 minutes until soft. Then scooped out soft middle, added butter and seasoning. Very tasty.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually, cold sprouts is quite a family favourite, well amongst the males, so more a treat than masochism. Now, Mpntezumas would have been a horror show. Chicken wings? More effort to find the meat than nourishment in my experience. SLC rolls arrived early via amazon carrier with a 1 day shelf life and one was already mouldy. 7 in the freezer and email to them. Seriously Lousy Company would be more apt.from my experience.
I placed an order with Seriously Lousy Co today and thereafter emailed them asking if they could ensure my order was freshly baked on the day of despatch as there can be a delay with delivery despite me paying £5.99 for express delivery so we will see how fresh they are if and when they arrive ... they will replace all of your order (that's what they done for me last time)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At Mum’s at breakfast so no coconut ‘porridge’ :(
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Lunch: a packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and LC vanilla granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coconut bites.
Dinner: chicken with garlic mushrooms and green beans followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
9.30 am - before rushing out to hair appointment (for colour & cut - I feel like a new woman!) - 1 slc on toasted cheese with mug of earl grey

1.30pm - back from hairdressers - 2 squares of montezumas all back with Almonds & mug of earl grey

4.30pm - day off work today and me and hubby out to restaurant for dinner (whoo hoo - can't remember last time we were there - they are allowed to open until 6pm here at the moment) - Surf n Turf Steak with side salad which included cheese and homemade coleslaw. Large glass of diet cola

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb -- Hugs for feeling poorly. Hope tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso.

Lunch: Half a slice of Aldi's protein bread with mayonnaise and tuna. A small piece of 88% chocolate.

Dinner: Two scrambled eggs, baba ghanoush, brisket with l/c barbecue sauce. The other half of the slice of bread with butter and salt.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a good day today. No food so far - just 3 cups of tea and a quick slug of water as I passed the tap. Started taking the extra Furosimide yesterday and by evening I was in agony - don't know if it was the Furosimide or coincidence. Early (for me) to bed in the hope of just sleeping it off or just resting it off. Gave up on that idea at 2 am and got up to take a full dose of extra strength Co-codamol. Couldn't sit in the chair so went back to bed and did fall asleep off and on until 10 am. More Co-codamol and slept in the chair until No 2 son arrived with the mail at 2 pm. Slept right through Neil emptying and filling the dishwasher.

FBG was 10.9. Haven't tested again.

I have a sausage casserole sitting on the stove, reheating over a very low heat - sausages, onions, carrots, celery in a veg stock. Beginning to feel the need for some food, so will have that as today's OMAD. Feel the need for fluids so will start drinking water and tea to get the levels up.

Checked BG before having my sausage casserole (16.1 - ouch!) Just checked side effects of Furosimide - high BG is one. So, I daresay the 16.1 is to be expected, despite the pretty high level of insulin I took. Haven't checked again - no point really. I'll leave it until tomorrow morning.

Didn't really enjoy the casserole, but I ate it anyway. Tomorrow I have some more pork chops, so I'll see if I can manage OMAD with those as the main food, plus some veg, I expect. Maybe bubble and squeak made from the veg left over from yesterday's meal.

JFWinstone

Breakfast - SLC roll with salami and lactofree cheese
Costa Almond Milk Latte with SF gingerbread syrup (11g carbs, ouch!) when out with support worker
Lunch - Scrambled eggs with lactose-free Philadelphia and 30g Montezuma's absolute black chocolate buttons
Dinner - Teriyaki Pork Skewers with Salad

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 10.5 - not good.
Breakfast, about 11 am - Fried egg on a roll. BG at 1 pm 16.7.
Just about to organise a pork chop (marinated in yoghurt) and some bubble and squeak to have about 6 pm.
Just tea and water other than that.
I don't like the high BGs but it might be understandable if it is caused by the extra Furosimide and might even be acceptable if the Furosimide was getting rid of the fluid in my legs. But it's not happening.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 8 more rolls arrived today with a date until Dec 26th. Yes, they replace them but they are by far the worst of all the LC cos we have ever used. Today’s effort: B= Assam TWAMIS: Dockey CWCSFCS; L: Cheese and cucumber SLC roll; Tea; EM: Mackerel and avocado salad+vits. Red wine at some stage. Food was ok and easy but like sport it is the results that matter. I’m never going to feel much love for LC. If it gets results it will do.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I missed posting yesterday and can’t actually remember what I ate. Quite a stress laden day. I had to call an ambulance for no 2 daughter who had a seizure. V scary. She’s still not quite right which is a worry.

Today I had black coffee for breakfast.
Lunch was SLC roll ( delivered today only 2 days after I’d ordered. Sell by is 26/12. No complaints here) filled with chicken mayo and hot sauce. DGF Raspberry bakewell to follow.
Dinner was pheasant. Many thanks MrsA2 and @DCUKMod for your cooking suggestions in the other thread. In the end I made it up as I didn’t have some ingredients ( no cream, what sort of a lc household am I running here?) slow cooked the legs in red wine, bacon, juniper berries, thyme and mushrooms. Breasts were sous vide (62C for 35 min with thyme and olive oil) cooking can be quite therapeutic and I enjoyed the pottering. Ran out of steam though and couldn’t be bothered to do any veg with it. Bacon can be an honorary vegetable for tonight.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I missed posting yesterday and can’t actually remember what I ate. Quite a stress laden day. I had to call an ambulance for no 2 daughter who had a seizure. V scary. She’s still not quite right which is a worry.

Today I had black coffee for breakfast.
Lunch was SLC roll ( delivered today only 2 days after I’d ordered. Sell by is 26/12. No complaints here) filled with chicken mayo and hot sauce. DGF Raspberry bakewell to follow.
Dinner was pheasant. Many thanks MrsA2 and @DCUKMod for your cooking suggestions in the other thread. In the end I made it up as I didn’t have some ingredients ( no cream, what sort of a lc household am I running here?) slow cooked the legs in red wine, bacon, juniper berries, thyme and mushrooms. Breasts were sous vide (62C for 35 min with thyme and olive oil) cooking can be quite therapeutic and I enjoyed the pottering. Ran out of steam though and couldn’t be bothered to do any veg with it. Bacon can be an honorary vegetable for tonight.
So sorry to hear about your daughter and pray she recovers quickly.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs @DJC3 that must have been very scary with your daughter.

Also playing catch-up.

Yesterday was a TMAD day, as was today.

Yesterday wished I’d eaten breakfast as was interviewing all day and by the time it got to lunch was ravenous. Hadn’t taken food to the office so picked up some antipasto meats from Coop along with a bag of salted almonds. Dinner was lamb ribs coated in lemon pepper and air fried. Really delicious.

Today ate breakfast of minced beef fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese.
Dinner was a Nando’s delivery. Grilled Halloumi, plain wings and some of their nuts.