Anyone tried juice-fasting to bring sugar readings down?

Beating-My-Betes

For long term results I would suggest that the answer is to eat what gets you normal blood sugars, energy, vitality, health and strength consistently; anything else, will not be long term.

The juicing part is only going to be a kick-start.

When you say you eat junk food Vegan, you already know the answer to that point consciously, so you need to convert the sentiment to actions that work for someone who is carbohydrate intolerant.

I am more interested in improving carb-tolerance than I am in designing a diet that panders to my current levels of tolerance

I accept beetroot, butternut squash, carrots and berries into my LCK regime. I understand that my HbA1c may not be low 30's, so take the mid 30's. It is not likely the a WFPB approach for example with root vegetables will get you the numbers you seek, so within the parameters you have selected, I would suggest being frank about the foods on your protocol that will work.

I'm curious why you 'd suggest that a WFPB approach won't work. Is it because I'm diabetic, and therefor will never be able to tolerate these foods again. Or are you suggesting that those foods will cause issues in those who are not diabetic?

The diet I'm trying to work towards will be predominantly based on fruit and raw veggies.

Yesterday I listened to Dr Gabrielle Lyons. She is on the meat side of things, but is true expert on protein. She stated that muscle can provide up 60% of glucose disposal - this has got to be applicable to Vegans also, so maybe Power Building would help you.

I've not heard of her, but will look into it. Although I have no real interest in Power Building, I do want to get back to a better build and level of activity.

Ultimately I'm looking to get to a point where my insulin sensitivity is razor sharp.

I you've no interest in the theory he suggests, then stop after his blood sugar readings. At the point of this video, Andrew had been eating am extremely high-carb, raw-food (fruit-dominant) diet, for eight years:

Beating-My-Betes

Think I managed a few days.. as a T2 its probably the worst thing you can do.

Why do you think it will be in any way beneficial?

A lot of reasons. I'll probably expound on them as I progress. You probably have no interest in watching the Jason Vale Youtube video i embedded. The results start at about the 1 hour :07 mark. Suffice to say, every one of his guests that went in exhibiting high sugars came out without them. I also have my previous 3-day experience, i which I drank nothing but off-the-shelf fruit juice (The stuff people claim is as bad as Coca-Cola) and lost 100 points off of my fasting sugar.

Walter Kempner managed to get his patients to reverse various metabolic disfunction, including diabetes, using a protocol of fruit-juice, plain white rice, and white table-sugar (ad libitum). I'm just taking one aspect of that, and running with it ;)

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have zero interest in a low-carb approach, but thank you :)
Ok, sorry if I misunderstood.
One thing I do know is that prior to being diagnosed T2 I had been eating I diet high in fruit, (which I do miss now) which had been advised along with low fat. I continued to gain weight, and my blood glucose levels increased to diabetes levels.

I have also, since diagnosis tried green smoothies, using berries and green veg such as spinach with almond milk. Enjoyed the drinks, but no long tem benefit to blood glucose levels.

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

Ok, sorry if I misunderstood.
One thing I do know is that prior to being diagnosed T2 I had been eating I diet high in fruit, (which I do miss now) which had been advised along with low fat. I continued to gain weight, and my blood glucose levels increased to diabetes levels.

I have also, since diagnosis tried green smoothies, using berries and green veg such as spinach with almond milk. Enjoyed the drinks, but no long tem benefit to blood glucose levels.

S'all good!

It's hard to know what is happening with other people's diet experiments. What I do know, from personal experience (and of reading hundreds of other high-carbers) is that what many consider low-fat is not really so low. Of course, even if one does go low-fat, it'll probably take a while for the body to acclimatise.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walter Kempner managed to get his patients to reverse various metabolic disfunction, including diabetes, using a protocol of fruit-juice, plain white rice, and white table-sugar (ad libitum)

Don't forget the whip he used to ensure compliance.

Sorry but I don't think you'll have much prolonged success .. still.. wish you well.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Barnards own low fat vegan study didn't have great results in reversing T2.
Vegan trial Graph.png

Beating-My-Betes

Don't forget the whip he used to ensure compliance.

Sorry but I don't think you'll have much prolonged success .. still.. wish you well.

His ill-advised compliance 'foibles' aside, he did get results. That hasn't stopped me buying the materials to build a self-flagellation rack, for my own fast ;)

Thanks for the well-wishes. Possibility of a broken metabolism notwithstanding, I plan to have my numbers under control (I'll accept pre-diabetes level) by February 23rd.

Beating-My-Betes

Those figures in isolation are pretty meaningless.
If he's not diabetic then why were they so high to start with?

If you read the comments section, from the video, he states he was using an all-fruit protocol reverse diabetes. But in the context of a lot of people believing that huge amounts of carbs (In this case, nothing but carbs from fruit) will lea to worsening sugar measurements, I'd say the video says a lot.

Beating-My-Betes

Depends what you mean by 'works'. Context is everything.

But it certainly isn't odd for someone who wants to be able to enjoy all the healthy plant-foods that are available, and not have to plan a diet around an illness. I want to improve my ability to eat carbs. Avoiding carbs won't help me do that any more than avoiding climbing ladders will help with my fear of heights ;)

And to be clear: I'm not telling you how you should approach your situation. I didn't really think I'd have to defend mine. Was just looking for anyone who'd had experience with juicing and diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read the comments section, from the video, he states he was using an all-fruit protocol reverse diabetes. But in the context of a lot of people believing that huge amounts of carbs (In this case, nothing but carbs from fruit) will lea to worsening sugar measurements, I'd say the video says a lot.

Not really fructose (the sugar from fruit) is processed by the liver so has less impact on blood sugar.. however and this is big fructose also is believed to have a major causal effect in NAFLD which is not good especially alongside T2.
Blood sugar readings don't necessarily show the full picture. Whacking your liver with a huge burst of fructose might not be very smart... however you seem very determined. Please don't do yourself too much damage.

Instead of juice why not simply water fast? No detrimental impact whatsoever.

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

Not really fructose (the sugar from fruit) is processed by the liver so has less impact on blood sugar..

So if you ate a banana meal, such as the one in the first blood-sugar video i posted, you'd show similar results because fruit being processed by the liver has less impact on blood-sugar?

however and this is big fructose also is believed to have a major causal effect in NAFLD which is not good especially alongside T2.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup has been associated with MAFLD, but as far as I have heard fruit and veg is inversely associated.

I have been following many raw vegans who have been apparently (though with no signs or symptoms) been giving themselves NAFLD for well over a decade. NAFLD is not a symptomless problem, yet these people are at the top of their health game.

But if you can show me studies that show NAFLD caused by fruit, rather than isolated fructose syrups and preferably some examples of people who've contracted the disease from eating, then I'd still choose a diet predominant in plant-sourced carbs.

Instead of juice why not simply water fast? No detrimental impact whatsoever.

Not sure why I'd water-fast instead. It can be far more dangerous, over a longer period. Not knocking WF. I'd love to do it, but I'd only do it at a facility such as True North, where my vitals and electrolyte balance could be monitored.

Please don't do yourself too much damage.

Nice. Thanks!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I look forward to following your progress between now and February 23.