Am I hungry or just bored?

DarrenW29

BANNED
Again you are making the rather huge assumption that cake and pizza are in any way "normal" foods.
And that anyone can eat them without harm to some degree, which personally I'd doubt.
Well the average person isn’t eating 500g weighed out baked potato 300g fish 100g green beans

it’s just an example chill it’s not real ideal but most the population is overweight so maybe they do lol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I provide diets to people

I’m not here to argue more to motivate and help each other positivity I just find we aren’t treated with the best medication for this disease!!
Many of us don't need any medication at all to treat this disease hence my disagreeing with you.
Your diets, whilst they may have worked for you, might well do harm to others.
If you really are 28 then I'd respectfully suggest that what worked for you might not be universally good.

DarrenW29

BANNED
Many of us don't need any medication at all to treat this disease hence my disagreeing with you.
Your diets, whilst they may have worked for you, might well do harm to others.
If you really are 28 then I'd respectfully suggest that what worked for you might not be universally good.
Ok well you enjoy meat veggies

I will enjoy a normal diet and cheat meals with normal blood sugar.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to weigh in again- I'm sorry the thread seems to have derailed a bit but I think it is important to say a few things.

First- many people on this forum are type 2 diabetics who have used a low carb diet to improve their blood sugars.
Second- many of those type 2s have lost weight or were not overweight to begin with and still have kept low carb to maintain their weight. You can be low carb and ,maintain weight.
Third- You can deal with insulin resistance but by keeping eating higher level of carbs you will not decrease your insulin resistance and will probably increase it. This will lead to the situation where over time you will need more insulin. If you are young my suggestion is you may want to delay as long as possible the situation where you need to take additional insulin.
Fourth When giving advice or posting on a thread for a new person I think it is important to give the context of your advice- for example I am a type 2 in my mid 50s who is still overweight but has lost over 30 kgs and kept my blood sugars well within the normal range by going low carb. My HbA1c was initial 6.6 but now about 5.2.

We do realise in this forum that individually we have many ways of dealing with our diagnosis- however particularly for new people a background is helpful. I would have jumped for joy when diagnosed at the thought I could still have a higher level of arbs than I do now- but I am healthier- don't feel hungry most of the time and have been able to make decisions to make low carb sustainable for me. In my case I use artificial sweeteners while others don't. I have never felt less than supported in this place so if what you are doing works for you- that is honestly great. For me low carb is what is working.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok well you enjoy meat veggies

I will enjoy a normal diet and cheat meals with normal blood sugar.
as I understand it, you were using insulin when eating a lot of carbs - yes? The advice for an insulin user is different to that needed for someone who doesnt use insulin. I notice you are now discussing, on another thread, lowering your carbs to improve you blood sugar levels and avoid false hypo's. So I am finding your comments in this thread against lowering carbs confusing.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Err - people please reread the OP and consider if your post is appropriate for this thread. I know I can get confrontational, on occasion, but there is a time and a place and this - I suggest - is not it.

Reactions: the-mental-one

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to put in my two cents worth. First of all, so sorry to hear about your mum Melanie. I lost both of my parents within a few months of each other in my 40s and the grief really can take a toll on your diet, sleep patterns, everything. It's a really tough time when you have to put in that extra effort to take care of youself, and it sounds like you're doing that, and besides that, all you can do with grief is keep moving through it.

I'm a vegan, so my diet's bound to be a bit different, but I do know what it's like to have limits on what I can eat, although mine are self-imposed, not allergies or intolerances. Although I do stick to low carb, my diet isn't Keto low. I stick to around 70-100g a day. I have found that perseverance pays off, and the time comes when you just don't experience hunger as much anymore.

In regards to your allergies, is it just onions or all alliums? Are there any workarounds? For example, I have a friend with IBS who has to avoid all of them, but can still have garlic-infused oil. Have you tried asafoetida? It smells awful in the packet but in small amounts can take the place of onion. It's a real shame about the nuts, but can you eat seeds? I lke to mix together hemp, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, coat them in tamari and roast them. They're so crunchy and savoury and delicious on salads, and full of protein. There are also seed butters that you could have on wholegrain toast as a snack. As for fruits, focus on the ones you can have and enjoy them in moderation. Some of the ones you mentioned aren't the greatest choices for diabetics anyway.

I love food - I love cooking, I love eating, so I just hunted around for low carb alternatives to my favourite things, and got used to having smaller serves of the more carb-rich foods. One of my greatest sorrows was giving up potato crisps though... If you look on the bright side, facing the challenge of cooking within limitations can spark creativity and be really rewarding. Luckily there are resources out there to help. :)

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for commenting on my thread, I think it went off the deep end somewhere but that's fine.

@VioletFoxtrot losing both parents so close to each other must have been really tough, thank you for your words of comfort about my mum. As I was acting as her full time carer and had taken a holiday so wasn't there I had guilt, I know that it wasn't my fault, that when you are someone's carer sometimes you need to take a break, and nothing I could have done would have changed what happened, but emotionally my brain just felt that guilt.

@DarrenW29 I respect that you have a different opinion but I will do what I feel is best for myself, I know myself better than you.

I have PCOS, lower carb diets and metformin are how you deal with that disease too.

My degree was in molecular biology, I very much know the science around this disease and when I diagnosed myself before making my doctors test me for it I read a *lot* of journal articles about it (I was working for the NHS for a while and temped in the local medical library as a secondary job after I had my degree so they were nice enough to let me use their resources on the property).

We are having fats just not so many saturated fats in our diet, it's actually fairly healthy in general just for a while I had upped my carbs and stopped taking my meds. Hopefully my body will just become used to the idea of less carbs soon and stop feeling so hungry. Might also be that I'm exercising more again after recovering from a knee injury both changes is a lot for the body to deal with at once.

Last edited:

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, knowing the science and dealing with this disease on a personal level are *very* different things. Each person will have different experiences and whilst some are shared and some are not other people with diabetes are far better at understanding the problems we face even if they haven't had to deal with the same thing themselves. That's one of the reasons I decided to join in on this forum, the empathy and shared experiences are a great support for us all and I needed that right now.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I would also suggest trying a little more natural saturated fat to replace the lack of carbs. I am only talking about returning to the levels of fat consumption that our grandparents would have considered absolutely normal, those associated with meat and dairy, for example. If you have concerns around cholesterol then you could perhaps ask for a lipids panel at your next blood test to reassure you.

As per onions - are you able to tolerate leeks? They have a pleasant oniony flavour and could be an acceptable sub.

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As per onions - are you able to tolerate leeks? They have a pleasant oniony flavour and could be an acceptable sub.

I haven't tried leeks, so far I seem to be ok with garlic, and I've been using asfoetida when making some curries for a while now and that seems ok too, just onions red, white, spring, etc. I shall give them a go.

I might be ok with onions if cooked at a high enough temperature to denature the protein I have the problem with, this was the case for pineapple, peaches, and almonds...course without knowing what temperature or how long they need to cook for at that temperature I just avoid them, especially the almonds as that is most likely to become anaphylactic in the future, it already makes me swell up and look a bit like a hamster

Good news is, other than early mornings, the metformin and diet seems to be working. I'm below 7mmol/L even with some potatoes or a couple of slices of bread, and after cereal this morning I was at 5.4mmol/L, my level before breakfast was 5.2mmol/L, which is so much better than last week.

Next I'm going to try having our main meal at lunch instead of dinner, something I did for a while and then stopped as dad prefers main meals in the evening, to see if that does anything for the DP I'm having.

Last edited:

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I would also suggest trying a little more natural saturated fat to replace the lack of carbs. I am only talking about returning to the levels of fat consumption that our grandparents would have considered absolutely normal, those associated with meat and dairy, for example. If you have concerns around cholesterol then you could perhaps ask for a lipids panel at your next blood test to reassure you.

I know, this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank you so much for the idea of leeks, they've become quite a staple in my diet now. It's amazing how much the little things can help when you're dealing with things with this disease (and with my depression) but having an extra not quite onion but a little like onion really did make a difference just when I needed it.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know, this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank you so much for the idea of leeks, they've become quite a staple in my diet now. It's amazing how much the little things can help when you're dealing with things with this disease (and with my depression) but having an extra not quite onion but a little like onion really did make a difference just when I needed it.
Aw, I’m glad they worked out for you. Gotta embrace the small wins!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you also know that cooked leeks freeze well? Simply chop up and cook up quite a few in quite a bit of butter, then when cool put them into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen out into a freezer bag or similar. Then 1 cube = a tablespoon or so of onion equivalent and you can use as many or as few as you want at time. They just reheat slowly in whatever you are cooking.
Very helpful to keep handy or when they are not in season or in store

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you also know that cooked leeks freeze well? Simply chop up and cook up quite a few in quite a bit of butter, then when cool put them into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen out into a freezer bag or similar. Then 1 cube = a tablespoon or so of onion equivalent and you can use as many or as few as you want at time. They just reheat slowly in whatever you are cooking.
Very helpful to keep handy or when they are not in season or in store
That's really useful, thanks :)

Reactions: MrsA2

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you react badly to chives? Just a thought.
I seem to be ok with chives and garlic so far but they are definitely a very distinct flavour that doesn't work the same way as onions for most of the things I like to cook. I'll be gutted if garlic ever goes the same way, I can use asfoetida but it's not the same ;)

It's all a bit odd, like some of the things I can eat when cooked because the proteins denature to the point that I'm no longer allergic to them, other things I can eat if they were frozen...I guess it's a change of shape thing again...but onions, raw, cooked, frozen then cooked, doesn't seem to matter and I know from experience that some people will just remove the onions from a meal they cooked or a salad they made and I will still be really nastily ill for a few days, maybe they think I'm just being fussy or maybe they really don't understand that some people can be effected by even trace amounts when we are allergic to things.