Symptoms when blood sugar returns from high to normal

pkumar

Hi

Are there any symptoms we experienxe when BS is bought down from high 31 dec 14.5mmol to now around 5.4 to 6.2 [FBS)

Any symptoms expected whenbody is getting used to new normal of low BS.

Thanks
Kumar

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Any symptoms expected whenbody is getting used to new normal of low BS.

The two that I can think of are
1) fake hypos - you'll get the symptoms of low blood sugar (shakiness, faintness, hunger, sweating,...) at normal blood sugar levels (ie 5s and 6s). This will pass as your body gets used to the new normal
2) vision changes - don't buy any new glasses for a few weeks, as the reduction in blood sugar may have a temporary effect on your vision.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It all depends on what your symptoms are before diagnosis.

Other than the ones @EllieM mentioned, the improvement in your symptoms should be showing. Brain function was a big one for me. Brain fog, memory loss, forgetfulness, anxiety levels dropped, and because of weight loss and keeping to a low carb diet, my energy levels increased so much, the reason, is that I kept my blood sugar levels in and around normal levels range. The more time you spend in normal levels, and sleep improves, your energy levels increase.
You are less tired and lethargic, my health improved including my NAFL. The less time you spend going the toilet.
As you see this all happening, your confidence in your lifestyle choices means that everyday life is easier to cope with.
You have the chance to improve your health, life and circumstances, the more healthy you become and you won't have to depend on others, especially family, if they have issues with health. You can do more, be more active, and live your life positively.
And the most important be comfortable with diabetes and because you have been able to get control. The stresses of this condition, will improve your happiness and those around you.

Keep safe

Reactions: EllieM and ziggy_w

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with earlier posts. I found the false hypos to be the most irritating - only started once I was back in normal range. The thing that disappointed me was that as well as the new stuff, all my earlier symptoms didn't vanish when I reached "normal" levels. A bit of thought tells you that damage from high BG has occurred over years and it might take years for everything to get back to normal, if it ever does. That said, most have gone completely and what's left is mild. Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that could be just how you lie when asleep.
I sleep on my side and found that I need a fairly thick pillow or even two to stop waking up with numbness and tingling.

Reactions: pkumar

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The physio told me two firm pillows for my neck and arms, but I use three.

Keep safe

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get finger/ palm numbness during my sleep ..irrespective of day or night. Any thoughts pls
I had similar when my blood sugars were reducing. It did stop after a few weeks.

Caprock94

I had no noticeable symptoms upon diagnosis. Quickly dropped my blood sugar back to normal levels with LCHF diet. I had some blurry vision for about a week to ten days as levels dropped. That all corrected. The strange one for me was foot pain starting about 6 weeks after diagnosis. I didn't have any pain before, but it came on suddenly. Burning type pain, but no numbness. 18 months later, it is still there, but not as bad. I had some shooting pains as well for a month or two early on. Fortunately that is rare now. Still left with the burning pain, but hopefully it is slowly getting better.