COPD

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I got told that, on top of my asthma, high BP and type 2 diabetes, I now also have COPD.

Looking for reassurance, hugs and reasons to keep trying when my body is falling apart.

I feel distressed. This was in a phone call from the asthma nurse, she was very matter of fact, like it's not a big deal.

I'm scared.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also sending you virtual hugs @lucylocket61. I really hope you get your vaccine soon and I can’t understand why you haven’t been called already. Please take good care of yourself.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry that the nurse came over all matter of fact.
We didn't use to hear of COPD much but now it seems much more common. I wonder if they've changed the name or the tests so its identified more these days?

I have a colleague who was diagnosed a couple of years ago. She was very poorly at the time with infections but its all settled down now and she's monitored regularly.

I hope yours gets under control too, its a bummer on to top of everything else, but I think its manageable

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sending really big hugs, and I thought it was only me, whose body is falling apart, even though the determination to be as well as possible.
It's a shock to your brain, and the anxiety kicking in, you will probably have to change some things in your diet, and getting there with help from the doctors should not be too much of a problem for you.
There has been many threads on pcos, read up on the condition and ask questions.
That is what we are here for.

So I got told that, on top of my asthma, high BP and type 2 diabetes, I now also have COPD.

Looking for reassurance, hugs and reasons to keep trying when my body is falling apart.

I feel distressed. This was in a phone call from the asthma nurse, she was very matter of fact, like it's not a big deal.

I'm scared.

Best wishes, try not to over think this. Stay positive as you have probably advised many a newbie on here. Stay safe.

Reactions: VashtiB

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending really big hugs, and I thought it was only me, whose body is falling apart, even though the determination to be as well as possible.
It's a shock to your brain, and the anxiety kicking in, you will probably have to change some things in your diet, and getting there with help from the doctors should not be too much of a problem for you.
There has been many threads on pcos, read up on the condition and ask questions.
That is what we are here for.

Best wishes, try not to over think this. Stay positive as you have probably advised many a newbie on here. Stay safe.
Aww, thanks. Its COPD, not PCOS, but if you know any anti inflammatory foods that would be great.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending you hugs @lucylocket61 you really are having a rough ride, do they think it’s connected to you having Covid? Be kind to yourself and take care xx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat and lots of it?
You know very well, from previous conversations, my medical restrictions and financial position.

Also - got any links to evidence that a carnivore diet improves inflammatory conditions - that would be ehlpful.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61

Sorry to hear this latest blow.
The good news is that with the diagnosis, you will get regular monitoring, and there is a v well established treatment pathway.

Regarding your request for foods that help with inflammation:
Check out turmeric. It has a growing reputation for reducing inflammation, isn't expensive, and can easily be added to food. I like it as a 'turmeric latte'. You can either buy a pre-made powder, or you can tip a half teasp of turmeric into a cup with a grind of pepper and any other spices you like, then add hot milk or hot water and drink as a cuppa. In my case I use hot water and a dash of double cream.

I have also found that avoiding certain inflammatory foods makes the biggest difference. Depending on the person, this can be sugar, wheat and grains, dairy, fodmaps (brassicas and the onion family), nightshades (potato, tomato, aubergine, peppers), sweeteners, and there are others. I think that we all react so differently to different foods that it is worth doing exclusion and reintroduction diets on anything we suspect may be problematic.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Try not be scared @Lucylocket, (easier said than done) but my dad had COPD ( even though I always thought it was asthma) and he managed pretty well and lived until he was 94.

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well smoking is not an issue here.

Anyone got any anti-inflammatory ideas which are cheap and don't involve copious amounts of meat?

Tannith

BANNED
Well smoking is not an issue here.

Anyone got any anti-inflammatory ideas which are cheap and don't involve copious amounts of meat?
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5-foods-that-can-cause-inflammation/

3. Red and processed meats

Processed meats have been salted, cured, fermented or smoked for flavor or preservation purposes. Research shows both processed and red meats are high in saturated fat, which causes inflammation.

Examples of red and processed meats

Red meat is any meat that comes from cows, pigs, sheep and goats. Examples of processed meats include:

• Bacon.
  • Hot dogs.
  • Meat jerkies.
  • Pepperoni.
  • Salami.
  • Sausage.
  • Some deli meats.
Why red and processed meats cause inflammation

Studies have shown that higher intakes of these meats lead to cancer, heart disease and stroke, all of which go hand-in-hand with inflammation.

How to cut down on red or processed meats

Coates offers these suggestions:

• Go meatless once or twice a week.
  • Limit meals that feature meat to once per day.
  • Treat meat like a side dish rather than the main course — instead, make vegetables, fruits and fiber-filled carbohydrates the main events.
  • Choose meats that have less than four grams of saturated fat per serving. (Reality check: Most processed meats come in at five grams or more per serving.)

Reactions: DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Processed meats have been salted, cured, fermented or smoked for flavor or preservation purposes. Research shows both processed and red meats are high in saturated fat, which causes inflammation.

Red meat is any meat that comes from cows, pigs, sheep and goats. Examples of processed meats include:

• Bacon.
  • Hot dogs.
  • Meat jerkies.
  • Pepperoni.
  • Salami.
  • Sausage.
  • Some deli meats.

Studies have shown that higher intakes of these meats lead to cancer, heart disease and stroke, all of which go hand-in-hand with inflammation.

• Treat meat like a side dish rather than the main course — instead, make vegetables, fruits and fiber-filled carbohydrates the main events.
  • Choose meats that have less than four grams of saturated fat per serving. (Reality check: Most processed meats come in at five grams or more per serving.)
Associational nonsense.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

• Bacon.
  • Hot dogs.
  • Meat jerkies.
  • Pepperoni.
  • Salami.
  • Sausage.
  • Some deli meats.

@Tannith
You are very selective in the information you cut and pasted, aren't you?
If you think that the section you quoted was the main takeaway of the article, then I suggest that you re-read it with a bit more care.
That article quotes 5 types of foods that it claims may cause inflammation.
1 added sugars (foods listed are breads, crackers, granolas, meusli and salad dressings)
2 trans fats (stated as often found in processed carby foods)
3 red and processed meats (the ref given is to studies which have been roundly debunked by those who have actually looked at the data, such as here https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=xDgzgDSInt0 )
4 Omega 6 oils, foods listed are seed and vegetable oils)
5 Refined carbs (foods listed are breads, rice, potatoes and sugary cereals)

Reactions: ziggy_w