1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COPD

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by lucylocket61, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy, I'm sorry you are in the wars and hope that you get support with the resolution of your issues. Being in the middle of lockdown in winter can't be helping!

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

A gentle reminder, folks. This thread is about the OP’s diagnosis, request for support and quest to find anti-inflammatory foods.

Posts with suggestions, including videos and links are welcome, but debates which sidetrack from support for the OP are not.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Interesting. Do you make your own tea by mixing turmeric, ginger and cinnamon or do you use a commercial brand? ( if so which?)

4. Dr Snoddy

Hi Lucy, I note that as stated in post 15 and in previous posts that you do not eat a lot of meat. I was interested in the approach taken in the video posted at #40 in which a ketogenic diet helped to resolve inflammatory disease in the gut. Would it be worth considering a ketogenic diet that did not involve meat? . This video gives suggestions for anti-inflammatory foods and recipes although a few recipes do include carbohydrate.

• Like Like x 1
    #44 Dr Snoddy, Feb 28, 2021 at 8:09 PM
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  5. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy,

I am so sorry to hear about your latest battles. I agree that you have always struck me as a strong woman but someone who has had more than her share of battles. I am gobsmacked about the diagnosis over the phone.

Anyway wishing you all the best for your appointment on the 8th and will be waiting for your update.

You have had so much to cope with so I really hope the odds even out a b it and this time you get the help you need.

Good luck and a virtual handhold until the 8th.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Sorry, late response, and also sorry if thisis derailing.
    Makeit myself using mainly dried powders, and a piece of root ginger in almond or coconut milk, with a dashof black pepper.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I had a lovely reassuring phone call with my GP, and she saw me at the surgery an hour later!!!

She thinks that IF I have COPD then it is very mild and IF it progressed in the future, the issues would be minimal. She didn't contradict the nurse who 'diagnosed' me but said, after thoroughly listening to my chest and peak flow results, that she is not worried at this point.

Likewise with my 'high' BP, which was ok when I am at home and when she took it.

I didn't know that diabetics are supposed to have lower bp - under 120/80. Mine was a bit higher, but within the normal non-diabetic range. Just like when I take it at home. So no meds needed. GP said to contact her if I have any future worries.

So after a few weeks of distress, crying most days, and feeling like my body is failing, plus the medication side effects, I can relax again. I have background anxiety issues anyway.

Thanks for the help, and encouragement to contact my GP about all this.

Oh, and she also said that she thinks that introducing diabetic slgt meds at this stage is premature and encouraged me to try dropping my carb levels a bit more and praised my success so far.

Such a relief.

Oh, and my asthma is stable and well controlled too.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Lucy, enjoy some relaxation for a change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got it sorted @lucylocket61 you will feel so much better now x

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dr Snoddy

Lucy, that is such good news. And breathe!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Brilliant news Lucy x

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Excellent news!
    I hope that doc now has a quiet word with the nurse who started the whole nonsense off!

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Excellent news, @lucylocket61 . Though such a shame that you had to go through an anxious time before it was all sorted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Excellent news, Lucy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Excellent news, Lucy- I am so glad. After all you have been through you were due some good news!

• Like Like x 1
  17. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Really pleased to hear this Lucy :)

18. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Really pleased for you @lucylocket61

All of that news soinds good and and sounds like you have a good clued up doctor there not trying to move you ontoore drugs, that's great news!

I didn't know diabetics were supposed to aim for lower blood pressure either. Wonder why that might be

19. woollygal

woollygal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When o was diagnosed I was told for a non diabetic my levels were perfect but for a diabetic they were a tiny bit high.

sibce then they have been perfect even for a diabetic. Usually takes them a few tries though, abs they gradually lower the more times they do it

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Deaths linked to diabetes are mostly due to heart disease and strokes, the risk of these is reduced with lower blood pressure.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook