What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from a damp bin day in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of twice roasted celeriac with spiced chicken came in at 5.1 this am

Not much time today - mother in law’s funeral.
Quick sketch on backing paper yesterday looking for froggy ideas. Have a great day if you can. Best make some koffy
upload_2021-2-24_7-39-14.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Done Lists. I start with a blank piece of paper and write things I have done on it, I feel like I have achieved something this way.

I love that idea! I tend to add things I forgot about when creating the to-do list after I’ve done them for the same reason. Your idea is much better!

lindisfel

Expert
Yesterday was unbelievably wet and extremely windy day with no let up into the night.
They promise no rain this morning, then rain from mid day to midnight, so early exercise today.

We just have to take what comes.

Can't understand why the infection rate has not dropped much in our area of Cumbria in February which is a mystery because when the schools go back it will go up again.
One cannot find out what the source of infection is in general terms, it seems to be kept from the public unless they decide for a purge on testing. The local news media seem to be inept at asking the right questions of the public health people.

Have good day everyone
Derek

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The wonder wheel of twice roasted celeriac with spiced chicken came in at 5.1 this am

Quick sketch on backing paper yesterday looking for froggy ideas. Have a great day if you can. Best make some koffy
View attachment 47670
When a Froggy goes a courting maybe? Look forward to what your mind and skill produce.

Hugs for sad family day, I hope your family are able to remember and find a way to celebrate your Mom in Law's life.

Reactions: mojo37

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.35am FBG 4.8
I want to underline this as it is incredible.
My diet yesterday included significantly more carbs than usual, as detailed on the what have you eaten today thread.

Edited addition.
Have had this before, lower than normal for me FBG reading after consuming more carbs than usual the day before.
Am wondering if mostly following a lower carb diet (<100 ish a day, with ideally not more than 30 in any meal. Most meals are lower than that) has helped my body deal better with an occasional influx of carbs?
Is this possible?
Does anyone know?

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, national bin day least we forget.
@dunelm sorry to read that it is your mother in laws funeral today, as a fellow motorcyclist I hope all goes as well as it can during these covid times.

A 7.2 this morning and another dilemma, never mind, it will give the brain something to ponder over.

I have finally received the letter telling me and me's to continue shielding until 31st March. Drat, **** and blast I was hoping to go for a little ride in the next week or so. At least me and me's are banned from shopping duties, one must always look for the positive.

Have a great day, remembering the stay's.....

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't understand why the infection rate has not dropped much in our area of Cumbria in February which is a mystery because when the schools go back it will go up again.
It's interesting and I think we all have to realise the Vaccine will protect the NHS but not eradicate the spread or catching Covid. This morning we have received a message from MILs care home that 4 members of staff and 2 residents have Covid again and they are closed to visitors, that is after all residents and all staff have had Vaccine. Covid is here to stay and we will have to find ways to manage living with it, not good or easy times ahead.

What worries me is so many people I speak to think life is returning to how it was pre Covid.

Reactions: dunelm

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all. A 5.2 on the new Swipey at 5.52. Potential consequences of this sequence of readings are too “close to the edge” for my liking given the somewhat controversial method and disputed side effects of this WOE. Currently feels like my Faustian Pact with LC is turning sour BUT could suddenly become very Luke 15. Yay for the 4s @SlimLizzy, the delicious sounding pie and resultant fbg @Muddy Cyclist but hug for MIL situation. Great Tubthumping attitude as usual @gennepher. @dunelm I hope your wife and her sister feel some comfort from the funeral and you don't feel my tribute to Genn is too crass today of all days.

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Morning one and all!

FBG was 6.0 and my 0800 with the diabetic nurse has finished. Great person - not my usual DSN, but as brilliant and understanding. Appreciate the early appts.

She even signed off on Accu-Chek mobile cassettes (first time ever), lancets too. I don't expect that'll be repeated. Meds stay the same. And I am getting the covid jab early next week...which is a huge surprise.

My recent HbA1c came back at 47 which is a whole lot different from the last one...

T2D remains a mystery...as I wasn't that good last night after my best intentions!

I now have a Costa in hand and leered at the muffins although I stopped myself buying one just in time...

Rest of day is work. More work. And a glance here for sanity reasons :)

Happy Wednesday!

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 last night - 5.1 this morning. So blood sugars have settled down and no more lows thank goodness. Lovely walk in the park this morning. Beautiful sunshine.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
urprised as I had Leek, Mushroom and Cheese Pie with green Veg and more pastry than I should have last night, goes to show I still don't understand the workings of my body on Type 2 diabetes. :banghead:
I don't think our bodies understand how they should be working either.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
It's interesting and I think we all have to realise the Vaccine will protect the NHS but not eradicate the spread or catching Covid. This morning we have received a message from MILs care home that 4 members of staff and 2 residents have Covid again and they are closed to visitors, that is after all residents and all staff have had Vaccine. Covid is here to stay and we will have to find ways to manage living with it, not good or easy times ahead.

What worries me is so many people I speak to think life is returning to how it was pre Covid.
It is a great worry. In Bristol a rave club is selling tickets for thousands on June 21. One extreme example of where it could go potentially very wrong.

One of my daughters is about to qualify after 5 years at Uni to be on her 2 year medical foundation. Although she's only 23, she's fully aware of the potential of a 4th wave tearing the NHS apart...and she's seen a lot on the wards too...which I wish she hadn't...

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows

View attachment 47670
Very very sorry to hear about your mum in law's passing. From deepest SW England sending massive hugs to you and the family.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 47670
A great frog. I look forward to more frogs.

Hugs for all your family for today @dunelm

Reactions: mojo37

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our painting duo wins again. The rain on the glass is very effective, good colour choice also. The strong colours on the plants give lots of depth to the darkness, I do like the way they have taken on that melting effect that rain through glass seems to give objects. Well done.

Hope your day allows you to catch up on some things.

I don't do To do lists as they frustrate me,I have Done Lists. I start with a blank piece of paper and write things I have done on it, I feel like I have achieved something this way.
Thank you for the compliments @Muddy Cyclist

That is an interesting idea to have "Done" lists. I will give that a try...

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
!
Do let Arthur know that I am feeling a lot better this evening. Blood sugars have settled down and have been really steady in the low 5s for most of the day.

I won't even try to work out why my BS kept dropping so low yesterday nor why it was impossible to correct.
He's delighted. He asked me to send you this. And a woof for great BG numbers.
74bb69f59b15c0cc11c50034cf54e19f.jpg

lindisfel

Expert
Hi
Had a busy morning. I had just got up and the oil wagon rang us to say he had brought the 28sec korosene. So heating off until tank filled and up garden sharp to get the back farm gate open for his pipe. 700 ltrs ordered to keep us going for a time through the worst weather.
Quickly ordered my tablets from doctor for chemist...5 different meds...then ordered the meat for next few weeks.
Then a quick half hour walking up and down garden for half an hour. Soft going on grass at side of house, and ten circuits at three mins each equate to half an hour walk that causes heavy breathing for an old man. And its up and down the sloping side of what must be a former glacial knoll.

I often wonder what it must have been like round here when it was covered in 700 metres of ice 20,000 year ago and only the tops of the Lakeland mountains were out of the ice?
By the time I had finished walking and listened to the Mistle Thrush singing all the time from a large ash in an adjacent field, my walk was over and the butchers van was here delivering our meat.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
It is a great worry. In Bristol a rave club is selling tickets for thousands on June 21. One extreme example of where it could go potentially very wrong.

One of my daughters is about to qualify after 5 years at Uni to be on her 2 year medical foundation. Although she's only 23, she's fully aware of the potential of a 4th wave tearing the NHS apart...and she's seen a lot on the wards too...which I wish she hadn't...
They put the fifth years to work through the pandemic. I hope she gets through all her vivas and exams ok. She has picked a very hard working career.
My daughter is 58 this year and teaches 5th year students G.P practice, but due to being on the frontline doing call out in early December she caught Covid and now has long covid and is easily exhausted.
D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Had a busy morning. I had just got up and the oil wagon rang us to say he had brought the 28sec korosene. So heating off until tank filled and up garden sharp to get the back farm gate open for his pipe. 700 ltrs ordered to keep us going for a time through the worst weather.
Quickly ordered my tablets from doctor for chemist...5 different meds...then ordered the meat for next few weeks.
Then a quick half hour walking up and down garden for half an hour. Soft going on grass at side of house, and ten circuits at three mins each equate to half an hour walk that causes heavy breathing for an old man. And its up and down the sloping side of what must be a former glacial knoll.

I often wonder what it must have been like round here when it was covered in 700 metres of ice 20,000 year ago and only the tops of the Lakeland mountains were out of the ice?
By the time I had finished walking and listened to the Mistle Thrush singing all the time from a large ash in an adjacent field, my walk was over and the butchers van was here delivering our meat.
D.
I'm exhausted just reading all that and I'm a young whipper snapper compared to you. Hug for your daughter and for what awaits @BRSBRI's only for that utterly shameless specimen to find a screen and claim he cares.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.35am FBG 4.8
I want to underline this as it is incredible.
My diet yesterday included significantly more carbs than usual, as detailed on the what have you eaten today thread.

Edited addition.
Have had this before, lower than normal for me FBG reading after consuming more carbs than usual the day before.
Am wondering if mostly following a lower carb diet (<100 ish a day, with ideally not more than 30 in any meal. Most meals are lower than that) has helped my body deal better with an occasional influx of carbs?
Is this possible?
Does anyone know?

mmh no expert, BUT., here goes my take.....;):D

I believe your premise is correct
You do or have increased your tolerance to carbs, short term.

As have I , I suspect.
But given it took me 60 odd years to get to T2D status, I'm pretty sure that Tolerance is short and within months of higher carbs I'd be back at my DX level of HBA1c.

Regarding the morning FBG, perhaps it is similar to checking the car oil level.?
we've been standing all night unused, everything glucose wise has drip, drip, dripped back into place, and levelled out.

Sure you know all this, but just to explain my thinking for others.

That why we take that check before we have had food or exerted ourselves.
because once the day begins just like starting a car the (Oil/Glucose) gets sloshed around as we idle, rev up, or speed off
all of which uses and makes call on the energy source, gas/glucose

That FBG, given the caveman scenario of olden times, is something the body generates, to enable us, if we had gone without food or too little of it, the day previous.
(Our bodies as hosts to us, gets a bit concerned, we MIGHT kill it, so it looks out for us.)
In this case by giving us sufficient energy to HUNT/Scavenge, so we can eat, and thus save our Body from harm.

However in the modern day, for T2D we have the opposite problem, to much to begin with, so any extra not required.
(see Jason Fung for further info. Best book I've read on T2D 'The Diabetes Code)

So i see that FBG rather like measuring something toxic (to us certainly)

bit of a conundrum,
Given we have all blamed the odd FBG on foods etc,

but it's a slow riser over time, as the toxicity within us grows,
so i do believe it is better as a longer term predictor of just where we are on that toxic glucose scale, so more use as an average, rather then a high low water mark on any given day.

Took a few weeks for mine to come down to sensible levels after DX, was bobbing along in the 5-6 zone quite happily, but since my mishap, it rarely ducks below 7..ho hum

Happy to hear others ideas/opinions and being shot down in flames..:hilarious:

Last edited: