What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Still alive
Covid vaccine 13 days ago, after shingles, no relationship.
Struggling with ophthalmic shingles, right sight of my head.
Right eye vision cloudy, maybe 25%, loss. Clinic review in two weeks.
Hope you all have happy outcomes as the vax success rolls on.
MCFC, come on the Blues!
Ophalmic shingles is horrible. Hope it settles down very soon. Great that you got the vaccine.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a very quiet and pleasant start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of something made with courgettes and something made with mixed peppers and the addition of chorizo for the taste buds to get involved came in at 5.2 this am.

We have a gingko tree in our garden - two tiny plants were given to my mother by the nurserymen at Westonbirt Arboretum about 20 years ago and she gave one to us. It’s now about 3 feet high and needed to be moved - they do grow quite slowly. Anyhow - rootball was deeper than envisaged - it’s now in a large terracotta pot and I will need to milk my aching back for at least 2 days, possibly longer unless my acting wearies me; “It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

@BRSBRI - interesting bike but I think that Apple are ripping people off with their latest watch design.
@Muddy Cyclist - another excellent seascape - savage sky and great reflections - will be interesting to compare with V2.
@gennepher - absolutely smashing winter scene with a stunning tree - are you pinning for a holiday abroad? Is Popeye worried?

I have ordered some more white rice paper - should have done it weeks ago - still, there is more of the yellow paper left. A couple of birds today - spring is in the air - “boing” - have a fabulous Friday - koffy calls (other sounds available).

View attachment 47702

Your magpies are stunning @dunelm
They are in the sun on my cherry trees at the mo, but no blossoms on mine yet...

I have never ever been abroad! So no!
I think Popeye is fine, he is not worried :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.

Yet another good imaginative piece from you. I can see a good frosty Morning the light being captured and abstracted by the fingers of Frost with a flight to escape from the grips of the winter.
Thank you @Muddy Cyclist

I shall be watching aeroplanes from my sunny garden today. They have been a rare breed, but may be returning...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems he will need a minor operation, timescale 12 months plus. Unless it becomes an emergency. :grumpy:

Forgot FBG today.

Ouch, that's a long wait, particularly given the tone of your recent posts re Mr Slim.

While no where near ideal, perhaps one glimmering light, is hopefully, now you know, the worry can settle in a calmer place, for a while at least.

Presume time frame covid related.

Hoping a gap comes earlier & some method of managing any pain/ discomfort/issues until then, was suggested.

Take care, both of you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from a sunny but frosty start here in The Brecks. 4.2 on Swipey - only what that device ought to read IMHO. I eat the same food in the same quantity at the same time about 80% of the time so why the massive variation if carbs are king? Amazing video call song and dance routine - if you're happy and you know it, hot cross buns were highlights - from 2.5 yo granddaughter early doors. Salmon avo salad today (may even run to fennel for extra crunch), bread making. How blessed am I? Hug for eye problems @True Blue, jab after effects @geefull (I love that art, very much my cup of tea), back @dunelm and Honey dos @BRSBRI. Double hug for Mr Slim and the worry caused by that @SlimLizzy. Thanks for the art @gennepher. Toodle pip, chums.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @Muddy Cyclist

I shall be watching aeroplanes from my sunny garden today. They have been a rare breed, but may be returning...

Gave a cheeky hug for no overseas travel.

ONLY for the fact, that was likely ME, and most happily so, if Lauren hadn't been so insistent,
( but I mean it more so for later on, then those early "beach holidays".)

How we both pine for that travel release & freedom.
I fully believe it added another layer to me.

To fully appreciate how others must live even on a rudimentary level, as we did, truly broadened my mind, as the saying goes.

I am not including the "holiday hotel" experience, where we, to a large degree, remained within the herd, whether at the hotel & the beaches, never more then shouting distance, from the sanity and safety ( :rolleyes:) of other similar tourists, lovely though they were.

It was those lazy treks inland far away from the resorts, where we stumbled across villages, where WE, were more of a rarity.

Those moments where broken English, didn't quite cut the mustard.
Being followed by so many eyes ..at first worrying, but then touched by the experience.

"But for the grace of God" and location of birth, never seemed more apt.
Where life has been so seemingly pre-ordained & ordered.

As romantic or stupid as living the life seemed,
( Our goal was to experience life as a local, as far as was reasonable..... obv without too much discomfort ;) )
really being there, envisaging the reality for so many, awakened something in me.

That's not safe the world over, so we have been truly blessed

Last edited:

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Good morning one and all from the GWR Intercity to Paddington. Have a socially distanced meeting with the UK Government this morning - first time in the big Smoke since forever...and have a letter to show inquisitive police that this is a critical meeting, for absence of their doubt ;)

FBG was 5.7. Healthy breakfast of kippers before a beautiful dawn...and back home by 4.30 if I get the planned westbound train in time for a Chinese dinner and Arthur walking!

I'm joined as we zip through the outer reaches of London (West Drayton, mate) with 1 other in my deserted 1st class carriage - less than 10% full through the whole train the manager tells me - in normal times it'd be packed. Strange indeed. Covered up with an FFP2 mask, I am coffee-less but will sort that later.

Train's a-slowing. Good morning London and have a great one all you fab folk

P1010512a.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning one and all from the GWR Intercity to Paddington. Have a socially distanced meeting with the UK Government this morning - first time in the big Smoke since forever...and have a letter to show inquisitive police that this is a critical meeting, for absence of their doubt ;)

FBG was 5.7. Healthy breakfast of kippers before a beautiful dawn...and back home by 4.30 if I get the planned westbound train in time for a Chinese dinner and Arthur walking!

I'm joined as we zip through the outer reaches of London (West Drayton, mate) with 1 other in my deserted 1st class carriage - less than 10% full through the whole train the manager tells me - in normal times it'd be packed. Strange indeed. Covered up with an FFP2 mask, I am coffee-less but will sort that later.

Train's a-slowing. Good morning London and have a great one all you fab folk

View attachment 47703

And welcome, oh weary traveller :):D

Can I suggest a guest house ..;)

For my money, THE best ever version of Les Mis

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing video call song and dance routine - if you're happy and you know it, hot cross buns were highlights - from 2.5 yo granddaughter early doors. .

What a glorious start to your day.

You seem happier in your post.
THAT & the fours really do seem to agree with you.:happy:

Have a good un.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What a glorious start to your day.

You seem happier in your post.
THAT & the fours really do seem to agree with you.:happy:

Have a good un.
Thank you. There were also 2 pieces of good news yesterday which I imagine helped . I'm still nowhere near certain that what LC does for Swipey equals good for Ian overall. I'm becoming convinced that the Spanish kid Cortisol Levels, holding midfielder, is what all winning teams need. This whole process is far too random. For me this is all about a woe which will hopefully offset the harm eating to my meter causes. Very narrow landing strip and I feel sure it misses too often.

Last edited:
Reactions: alf_Josiah

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gave a cheeky hug for no overseas travel.

ONLY for the fact, that was likely ME, and most happily so, if Lauren hadn't been so insistent,
( but I mean it more so for later on, then those early "beach holidays".)

How we both pine for that travel release & freedom.
I fully believe it added another layer to me.

To fully appreciate how others must live even on a rudimentary level, as we did, truly broadened my mind, as the saying goes.

I am not including the "holiday hotel" experience, where we, to a large degree, remained within the herd, whether at the hotel & the beaches, never more then shouting distance, from the sanity and safety ( :rolleyes:) of other similar tourists, lovely though they were.

It was those lazy treks inland far away from the resorts, where we stumbled across villages, where WE, were more of a rarity.

Those moments where broken English, didn't quite cut the mustard.
Being followed by so many eyes ..at first worrying, but then touched by the experience.

"But for the grace of God" and location of birth, never seemed more apt.
Where life has been so seemingly pre-ordained & ordered.

As romantic or stupid as living the life seemed,
( Our goal was to experience life as a local, as far as was reasonable..... obv without too much discomfort ;) )
really being there, envisaging the reality for so many, awakened something in me.

That's not safe the world over, so we have been truly blessed

Maybe I wanted to years ago in my teenage years. Hitchhiked around the UK. Never been with another half who wanted to travel. With J he'd had enough of abroad. I wanted to drive my car over to France and see where that would take me, but J was did not want to, and was happy to explore the length and breadth of the UK. England, Scotland, and Wales. So this we did.

The problem with deafness is I cannot hear tannoy announcements on trains (if changes are made) or in train stations. In my younger days I never let that bother me, once I realised I was going in the wrong direction, I got off the next main station, and caught another train...happened a lot :)

But since the trains are really owned by different companies nowadays, I wouldn't be allowed to do that, and not with the ease I did it in my younger days. And this philosophy certainly wouldn't work on aeroplanes...

So, England, Wales, and Scotland it is then. Or rather in these Covid lockdown days, it's my back garden, and watching those planes, and following them on the plane app........

Oh, and I did have a plan how to get to Australia to see my daughter in Australia, many years ago, travelling overland, and then the sea for the final bit, and presented the itinerary to my daughter...but my children said "ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

I was actually serious...

Oh well. It looks like just my back garden for the foreseeable future...

Bye...going out to explore it now....

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who now have no desire to travel abroad anymore. Me and me's have travelled a small amount, I have driven across the Boulder dam, but still have no inclination to abseil down the face.

A 7.2 on the meter of mystery and naughtiness this morning.

Well fellow posters, painters and gamers whatever your endeavours are for today, may you extract maximum pleasure and two fingers to the naysayers, deliberately grumpy and doom mongers ( media ) while attempting to bring a smile to their faces.

Stay well, stay safe and bulk buy stay's available from all good hardware stores.

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning. Dogs had their boosters yesterday and the vet was very pleased to see Archie in such good form.

Really pleased that we no longer have to 'stay at home ' from the 29th March. I really really would love to see the bluebells in the woodland at Blickling Hall in April but it is about 20 miles away. I am so missing walking in nature and am wondering if it will be seen as breaking the rules if we go.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat the same food in the same quantity at the same time about 80% of the time so why the massive variation if carbs are king?
That is exactly why injecting insulin was such a total nightmare for me. Exactly the same food and exercise and units of insulin would give wildly different blood sugar readings. I found that I needed also to inject for protein but it would be different for identical meals.

I kept extensive records and weighed and measured everything but still it made no sense - even after 4 years. I think that is why low carb was so brilliant for me. I still do have a pancreas and liver that like to have a bit of fun and not behave as they ought to, but the swings in blood sugar are not anything as wild as they were with injected insulin.

Mostly they trundle along in the 5s and the only thing I need to do is keep to 20 g carbs and not overdo the protein. It is uncomfortable when I start going really low but it doesn't happen too often, thank goodness.

I suppose the best thing about low carb is that I don't have to keep checking BS and then doing correction doses of insulin or correcting the lows with jelly babies. Although I must admit I did love the jelly babies and was quite sad when they went on the banned list.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is exactly why injecting insulin was such a total nightmare for me. Exactly the same food and exercise and units of insulin would give wildly different blood sugar readings. I found that I needed also to inject for protein but it would be different for identical meals.

I kept extensive records and weighed and measured everything but still it made no sense - even after 4 years. I think that is why low carb was so brilliant for me. I still do have a pancreas and liver that like to have a bit of fun and not behave as they ought to, but the swings in blood sugar are not anything as wild as they were with injected insulin.

Mostly they trundle along in the 5s and the only thing I need to do is keep to 20 g carbs and not overdo the protein. It is uncomfortable when I start going really low but it doesn't happen too often, thank goodness.

I suppose the best thing about low carb is that I don't have to keep checking BS and then doing correction doses of insulin or correcting the lows with jelly babies. Although I must admit I did love the jelly babies and was quite sad when they went on the banned list.
You are a shining example of one for whom LC works really well.and I am delighted for you. I'm also convinced that statistically LC and monitoring, via preferred device, are the way to go. Fortunately, I have not needed insulin yet. Seeing how random these readings are it always amazes me how insulin users ever cope.. At levels down to 3 - Stabbo and Swipey - I function fine. My family history and changes in taste now align to make an HF - definitely saturated fat - route one to mainly avoid or at least tread vxtremely carefully.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are a shining example of one for whom LC works really well. At a population level I'm also convinced LC and monitoring, via preferred device, are the way to go. Fortunately, I have not needed insulin yet and at levels down to 3 - Stabbo and Swipey - I function fine. My family history and changes in taste now align to make the HF route one to avoid in the main for me. Seeing how random these readings are it always amazes how insulin users ever cope.
Yes, I often think that people with T1D cope amazingly well with the random readings. I didn't cope that well compared with other insulin users on this forum.

lindisfel

Expert
Had a nice job first thing this am.
We have our own sewage system with a septic tank and filter bed. I noticed yesterday the septic tank was backed up at the outflow pipe and was flooding over into the field. Its fenced off of course.
So I was out early with rods, spade, etc to take the heavy cover off and clear the exit pipe. As always it clears quickly with the grab rod and flooded the filter with a satisfying gushing noise.
The duchess stood on the grass verge watching to make sure I didn't fall in!
She couldn't resist making the comment you shouldn't be doing this at your age! :)

There is a lesson for those clearing a blockage on sewage systems.
Never stand in an area below the blockage when clearing it! As I did once. I stood on the filter bed and had great difficulty climbing off the filter bed quickly enough.
D.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We have our own sewage system with a septic tank and filter bed. I noticed yesterday the septic tank was backed up at the outflow pipe and was flooding over into the field. Its fenced off of course.
So I was out early with rods, spade, etc to take the heavy cover off and clear the exit pipe. As always it clears quickly with the grab rod and flooded the filter with a satisfying gushing noise.
She couldn't resist making the comment you shouldn't be doing this at your age! :)

Never stand in an area below the blockage when clearing it! As I did once. I stood on the filter bed and had great difficulty climbing off the filter bed quickly enough.
D.
The Duchess was quite right. I had a father and grandfather who were told exactly the same. Now, I'm entirely more sensible:angelic:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch for the aches, but we ain't no longer Spring Chickens, boing!

Great birds again on a well drawn blossom branch.

Thank you for compliments on my Sea pictures,

Take care.
Thank you @Muddy Cyclist and I knew that I could count on you to back me up about spring chickens with worn out springs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

D.
You can end up with gossamer wings if you get it wrong.