Weight Loss and Diabetes

glorybd5

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I read a diet tip in a mag yesterday that makes so much sense.....

Writeca list of the healthy foods that you actually like. Then go to the supermarket and buy nothing but the things on that list. Don't buy anything that isn't on the list. Obvious really...

Good one, my trolley seems to turn into the chocolate aisle instead of the fresh produce, the last few days I felt so proud....no rubbish!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Schtompa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosised with type 2 at the end of May and so far lost 10 kg. changed diet (semi LCHF) and started exercising a couple of days a week. Started really well but after 3 weeks my energy levels plummeted - absolutely shattered all the time, really short temper. Seem to have ridden that out and have some energy again. Hope to see the weight keep coming off. Although can't afford the new clothes!!

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_
nice post Sue.. I have been through post titled cut back the calories under Weight Loss Strategies for Diabetics blog. Cutting calories too fast, as this could not only cause issues with blood sugars, but may cause the body to slow down the metabolism as well.
You know.. this create lot of confusion.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Diabetes and sudden weight loss. In people with diabetes, insufficient insulin prevents the body from getting glucose from the blood into the body's cells to use as energy. When this occurs, the body starts burning fat and muscle for energy, causing a reduction in overall body weight.

Reactions: Our_lady_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
As in all things health related discuss your course of action with your doctor/nurse/ dietician before embarking on a diet. You may have other health conditions that have to be taken into account.

Losing weight for diabetics has to be thought of in terms of controlling your blood sugars as well as reducing your food intake.

Many of the ‘ready- made’ diets such as Weight Watchers, South Beach etc may look good in terms of losing weight but they often have high carb levels in their meals even though they say they are suitable for diabetics.

Carbohydrates are what affects blood sugar levels and, in diabetes we have an inability to process the carbs properly because of some sort of damage to the pancreas be it total beta cell destruction as in Type 1’s or insulin resistance/deficiency in Type 2’s.

With those with insulin resistance there is too much insulin in the body because the pancreas produces more and more insulin to try and cope with the ingested carbs turning into glucose.

Carbs = glucose= insulin= fat.

If you eat too many carbs this will convert to glucose. This then requires insulin to try and lower the levels of glucose in your blood, either naturally produced or injected insulin. An excess of insulin in your blood stream then gets converted to fat. If you can break this cycle by firstly reducing the carb intake to lower levels you will then find that you can reduce the quantity of insulin that you need, this in turn will lower your blood sugar levels and also have the beneficial effect of reducing/stopping any fat production.

This is a simplification of the complex metabolic process going on inside each and every one of us.

For each and every one of us however the processing of these carbs will be different. Some can tolerate certain types of carbs with regards to blood sugar control and some can’t. It is only by keeping a food diary and a record of your blood sugar levels before and after a meal that we can gradually learn to work with our food so that the food helps us not hurts us.

Some small tips.

1.Portion control. You may think that your portions are ‘healthy', for a week weigh everything out so that you get to know visually what a 30gm portion is (or whatever portion you are aiming at). Every month or so do this again as our eyes sometimes deceive us !!

2.Use a smaller sized plate. The plate looks full so you feel full as well.

3.Prepare as much of your food as possible yourself using fresh products that are as natural as possible. For instance fresh meat has little to no carbs whereas processed meat may have a lot of carbs.

4.Read the packets ! Look at the TOTAL carb content of the product this includes the sugars and gives you the proper carb value. Do not just look at sugars as this is misleading when you are diabetic.

5.Don’t beat yourself up if the weight loss stalls, it happens, keep to the diet and it will probably start again. Try increasing exercise if you are able, this increases metabolism and gets weight loss going again.

6.Don’t beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon now and again. We are all human and all do it now and again. You are changing your lifestyle. It takes time.

I used this method and lost three stone. This is just my experience.
I might have to copy and paste this to my weigh-in friday group for the new year encouragement?

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did slimming world long, long before diagnosis and that worked for me. Now as a T2 diabetic I use Viv's modified Atkins diet (a lot of us here do) and that's perfect for control for us as it keeps our carbs down. I am on the ND diet just now, but that is also very, very low carb.
What is Vivs modified Atkins diet?

Taffette

This a question not a reply How do I post a question and secondly has anyone with type 2 diabetes on a low carb = higher fat diet used the Fat binder XLS Medical ? Cheers.Thanks for bearing with...new here Kat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Kat - at the top of each section in the forum there is a thing to click on to start a new thread.
Why would anyone using fat for fuel want to use a fat binder?
It is just part of the old fat is bad thinking, which has not worked well.

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I managed to loose 2 stone with slimingworld
I lost two and half stone on my own with the “Lose It” App that I found in the Health section of my iPhone

KristanCai

As in all things health related discuss your course of action with your doctor/nurse/ dietician before embarking on a diet. You may have other health conditions that have to be taken into account.

Losing weight for diabetics has to be thought of in terms of controlling your blood sugars as well as reducing your food intake.

Many of the ‘ready- made’ diets such as Weight Watchers, South Beach etc may look good in terms of losing weight but they often have high carb levels in their meals even though they say they are suitable for diabetics.

Carbohydrates are what affects blood sugar levels and, in diabetes we have an inability to process the carbs properly because of some sort of damage to the pancreas be it total beta cell destruction as in Type 1’s or insulin resistance/deficiency in Type 2’s.

With those with insulin resistance there is too much insulin in the body because the pancreas produces more and more insulin to try and cope with the ingested carbs turning into glucose.

If you eat too many carbs this will convert to glucose. This then requires insulin to try and lower the levels of glucose in your blood, either naturally produced or injected insulin. An excess of insulin in your blood stream then gets converted to fat. If you can break this cycle by firstly reducing the carb intake to lower levels you will then find that you can reduce the quantity of insulin that you need, this in turn will lower your blood sugar levels and also have the beneficial effect of reducing/stopping any fat production.

This is a simplification of the complex metabolic process going on inside each and every one of us.

For each and every one of us however the processing of these carbs will be different. Some can tolerate certain types of carbs with regards to blood sugar control and some can’t. It is only by keeping a food diary and a record of your blood sugar levels before and after a meal that we can gradually learn to work with our food so that the food helps us not hurts us.

Some small tips.

1.Portion control. You may think that your portions are ‘healthy', for a week weigh everything out so that you get to know visually what a 30gm portion is (or whatever portion you are aiming at). Every month or so do this again as our eyes sometimes deceive us !!

3.Prepare as much of your food as possible yourself using fresh products that are as natural as possible. For instance fresh meat has little to no carbs whereas processed meat may have a lot of carbs.

4.Read the packets ! Look at the TOTAL carb content of the product this includes the sugars and gives you the proper carb value. Do not just look at sugars as this is misleading when you are diabetic.

5.Don’t beat yourself up if the weight loss stalls, it happens, keep to the diet and it will probably start again. Try increasing exercise if you are able, this increases metabolism and gets weight loss going again.

6.Don’t beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon now and again. We are all human and all do it now and again. You are changing your lifestyle. It takes time.

Some small tips.

weightlossfun

You should eat fewer carbohydrates during the day. Additionally, avoid consuming any carbohydrates in the late afternoon or evening. To make up for the calories you lose when you stop eating carbohydrates, you can eat more protein and healthy fat.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should eat fewer carbohydrates during the day. Additionally, avoid consuming any carbohydrates in the late afternoon or evening. To make up for the calories you lose when you stop eating carbohydrates, you can eat more protein and healthy fat.
There are several types of diabetes, and we are all different. There are various medications people are on for their diabetes, which affects their dietary choices to keep safe and well. What works for one may not work for another. There a no hard and fast rules.

What type of diabetes do you have and how are you controlling it? Its really helpful to other posters for you to fill in your profile and the information page so we know how best to respond to your situation. Thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have diabetes?

Reactions: Eyeop

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like you are working hard to reach your weight loss goal, but have hit a plateau and are not seeing progress. Plateaus are common when trying to lose weight, and there can be a variety of reasons why you may not be losing weight. Here are a few things you might consider trying:

1. Check your calorie intake: Make sure that you are accurately tracking your calorie intake and that you are in a deficit. Sometimes people underestimate how many calories they are consuming, which can make it difficult to lose weight.
  2. Mix up your workouts: If you have been doing the same workout routine for a while, your body may have adapted to it and it may no longer be as effective at burning calories. Consider adding in new exercises or changing up your routine to challenge your body in different ways.
  3. Don't skip meals: Skipping meals or drastically reducing your calorie intake can slow down your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight. Instead, try to focus on eating regular, balanced meals to support your weight loss efforts.
  4. Get enough sleep: Poor sleep can impact weight loss, so it's important to prioritize getting enough rest. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
  5. Consider seeking the advice of a healthcare professional: If you have tried these strategies and are still not seeing progress, it may be helpful to consult with a healthcare professional such as a doctor or registered dietitian. They can provide personalized advice and guidance based on your specific needs and circumstances.
It may also be helpful to read more about weight loss and try different strategies to find what works for you. I hope these suggestions are helpful and that you are able to reach your weight loss goal!
Not sure who this is addressed to?

Reactions: lucylocket61

Vivek Kommi

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Some small tips.

coool

Vivek Kommi

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Sue,

I am no expert in Type 2...but weight watchers actually suits a type 1 diabetic quite well...I am trying it out myself at the moment, becasue, although it tells you how much you should eat, it doesn't tell you what you should eat. So if you no carb, low carb or inject/eat to optimise blood sugar you can make it work for you.

You comment about weight watchers therefor is not quite correct...but ifyou were refering to theri pre prepared food...I agree 100%!

Thanks for setting up this section

Some small tips.

This was very interesting - good insights here

Reactions: filly

Vivek Kommi

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Mark

You don't say what you BG levels are but I was wondering, because some of us on this forum have found that the diet given by our health care professionals has not suited us. There are too many carbohydrates in it and we find that it makes it difficult to control our BG and our weight.

I for example can't eat fruit as it spikes my BG's, I know the dietican said not too much potatoes - what did she say about bread and pasta etc?
Have you tried consulting with a personal trainer?

flora tina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TYPE 2 DIABETIC.ON TABLET WANTS TO REDUCE MY WEIGHT AT LEAST 2 STONE
CURRENT WEIGHT 70 KG, HT 5 FEET.COULD YOU PLEASE SEND ME THE MANU IF YOU CAN.
THANKS

Edited by mod to remove personal information

Last edited by a moderator: