What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone here a favourite chicken wing marinade?

Some kind of ‘rub’? Paprika, chilli flakes, garlic powder that kind of thing. Or chilli oil.

If you have time to leave for a while my brine concoction is double cream, pink salt, pepper, and then some combination of paprika, garlic (fresh or powder). Mix together in a bowl and marinade for 24 hours, although overnight/a few hours would do.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Long time no post on here, but i think some of you may be interested in my latest trick with the tuna melt batter :)
Today I filled mushrooms with it, very, very good!
Had them with string beans with some (rather thin but very yummy) cheese sauce and bacon.

157723715_10223025936631192_5311176594909555278_o.jpg

It's also my birthday tomorrow (or technically it already is) and presents have arrived already!
I'm very happy with my delivery people. The first one opted not to wake me up and somehow managed to fit a rather large package in my mailbox. I had a hard time prying it out again, which added to the birthday exitement :)
The second delivery person arrived when I wasn't home, but thankfully ignored the rules so my present was at my front door when I came home and not back at the post office or such.

The cat is making sure I won't open my presents until tomorrow :)

And to add to the festive feeling, I've been 99% in range over the last 24 hours!
Now to try and keep that up for the next year :D

View attachment 47857
First Happy Birthday. Love the guard cat.
Good work on your bg levels.
Also like that idea of filling mushrooms with melt mix. I dont normally use tuna, crispy bacon, ham, or crispy chorizo are my alternatives, with spring onions or peppers sometimes for a bit of variety.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some kind of ‘rub’? Paprika, chilli flakes, garlic powder that kind of thing. Or chilli oil.

If you have time to leave for a while my brine concoction is double cream, pink salt, pepper, and then some combination of paprika, garlic (fresh or powder). Mix together in a bowl and marinade for 24 hours, although overnight/a few hours would do.

Do you wipe the cream/ brine off the wings before air frying?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday @Antje77 !

Today:
B: keto muesli with cream
L: frankfurters and halloumi fries
D: looks like it will be curry :wacky:

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Birthday breakfast!
Low carb slice of bread, half with a very nice red crusted French cheese, half with 'oude Friese nagelkaas', a very mature Friesian specialty cheese with whole cloves :hungry:

The balloon was one of the birthday presents delivered yesterday, the birthday candles were part of the presents in the other box :)

158019325_10223030655869170_1173913618002947759_o.jpg

Max68

Happy Birthday to anyone whose birthday it is/has been/will be, think that covers anyone I might have missed! ;)

Yesterday lunch three cold sausages. Dinner was pork belly strips with extra fat cut off with a Portobello mushroom with cambazola on top. Did have strawberries and cream as dessert but totally forgot they were on the side so they are in the fridge and will try them tonight! No lunch today as had vaccine at 12.30 then popped to Sainsbury and then started defrosting the freezer so got a bit late so will have burgers that need to be eaten with firecracker chicken wings and maybe some halloumi fries later unless dodgy side effects kick in! Didn't half chuck some stuff from the freezer especially the "not so good stuff".

Will however sadly bid a farewell on this thread as I'm not being as "good" as all of you and feel it's not fair on this thread. My meals are going really well, no more pastries, rice, white bread, potatoes, cakes etc but I have to confess I am struggling with the lack of treats and still have the odd bag of crisps, a few schars gluten free curvies or a handful of black grapes and the odd Riesen dark choc toffee which isn't really in the spirit of the thread. Not all at once though I hasten to add! Will continue to try and keep that to the minimum though and carry on with the meals and will come back if I get to the stage I am not cheating! :(

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Long time no post on here, but i think some of you may be interested in my latest trick with the tuna melt batter :)
Today I filled mushrooms with it, very, very good!
Had them with string beans with some (rather thin but very yummy) cheese sauce and bacon.

157723715_10223025936631192_5311176594909555278_o.jpg

It's also my birthday tomorrow (or technically it already is) and presents have arrived already!
I'm very happy with my delivery people. The first one opted not to wake me up and somehow managed to fit a rather large package in my mailbox. I had a hard time prying it out again, which added to the birthday exitement :)
The second delivery person arrived when I wasn't home, but thankfully ignored the rules so my present was at my front door when I came home and not back at the post office or such.

The cat is making sure I won't open my presents until tomorrow :)

And to add to the festive feeling, I've been 99% in range over the last 24 hours!
Now to try and keep that up for the next year :D

View attachment 47857
Happy birthday

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
It’s good to see you @Antje77 and happy birthday greetings from me too. The tuna melt mushrooms look wonderful. Great idea.

Has anyone here a favourite chicken wing marinade? Something simple I might already have ingredients for. I have a big bag in the fridge, I’m usually happy with just s&p and air fryer but I’m in the mood for a change.
I found the recipe from headbangers kitchen for his peanut butter chicken wings really yummy sometimes I add tandoori paste to the mix which might increase the carb content

https://headbangerskitchen.com/recipe/peanut-butter-chicken-wings/
Calories: 103
Net Carbs: 2g
Carbs: 2g
Fat: 5g
Protein: 11g
Fiber: 0g

This recipe makes 7 servings. 1 Serving = 1 Full wing (drum and wing). Get this recipe on myfitnesspal.

[https://headbangerskitchen]

[https://headbangerskitchen]

Peanut Butter Chicken Wings

A quick and easy recipe for perfect chicken wings

CourseSnack

CuisineAsian

Keto RecipesKeto Appetisers

ServingsPrep Time7 servings5 minutes

Cook TimePassive Time25 minutes30 minutes

Ingredients

500 grams Chicken Wings This was 7 full wings for me

16 grams Peanut Butter Natural with no added sugar I recommend this one

30 ml coconut cream or milk I recommend this one

10 ml Soya Sauce I recommend this

10 ml Fish Sauce Try this one

15 ml Vinegar Try this one

10 ml Sriracha Hot Sauce I use this one

1/2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Powder Use fresh garlic and ginger if you have the option about 5grams each

salt and pepper to taste

Servings: servings

Units:MetricUS Imperial

Instructions

Mix the peanut butter, coconut milk, soya sauce, vinegar, hot sauce, fish sauce,salt, pepper and ginger garlic powder in a bowl. Then add in the chicken wings and mix well.

Allow the chicken wings to marinate for as long as possible. At least 1 hour but as long as overnight in the fridge.

Bake the chicken wings on a wire rack in an oven at 220C for about 25 minutes.

Remove and serve.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Max68 itvwould be a shame for you to go. By staying you might find it encourages you to be more careful! Speaking for myself I fall off the wagon sometimes and just get back on after. We are after all human. Wishing you well.
Yesterday and today my usual brekkie of slice HiLo toast and copious tea. I bought a jar of Thursday Cottage reduced sugar marmalade to use on Dr Almond bread on a “good” morning but not summoned the courage yet. It seems to be half the carbs of Mr PM’s version. Yesterday lunch was sliced ham and coleslaw and slice Dr Almond bread. Supper was cauli rice “paella” with some plump prawns. Very tasty.
Today lunch was scrambled eggs and had a shortbread finger with my cup of tea after the stress of walking a busy roadside for 90 mins trying to find Mr PM’s phone after it flew off the roof of his car. Don’t ask! It was found and still works.
Tonight is t/a of Tandoori KP and cauli rice and some red wine probs.
@Antje77 belated happy birthday, loved the candles.
@DJC3 your Scotch eggs looked great, very professional.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone here a favourite chicken wing marinade? Something simple I might already have ingredients for. I have a big bag in the fridge, I’m usually happy with just s&p and air fryer but I’m in the mood for a change.
My boy did some really nice ones last weekend. In lemon juice with herbs, garlic and olive oil. Air fired. Simple but very tasty. Leave as long as possible in the marinade

Reactions: DJC3 and Max68

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Early lunch today. SLC roll filled with roast beef and mustard. DGF blondie to follow.
Dinner was a couple of home made scotch eggs. I used 5%fat pork mince ( leaner meat is supposed to be best for the wrapping as it holds its shape best) and blitzed pork crackling for the outside crumb. 5 mins to make and 20mins in the oven. Super easy and very good.
A couple of glasses red wine while doing a Zoom Sherlock Holmes theatre mystery thing this evening. View attachment 47827
Yum they look good. Must give scotch eggs a try never made them

Reactions: DJC3 and Max68

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Breakfast scrambled eggs made with 2 eggs and some cream cooked in ghee and sourdough bread black coffee

Dinner wasn't really hungry but my BSL was 4.2 and needed to eat as hadn’t eaten much throughout the day and had to cook my salmon I brought yesterday so pan fried salmon cooked I ghee then ended with butter and lemon sauce it was nice tasty meal even though I forced it down haha

Made some Greek yoghurt using a yoghurt-maker turned out ok. Especially as normally make it the traditional way.

My meals have been between low carb then have a terrible few days eating fruit. I know LC/KETO works as I was going so well but last year half I've been up and down with it. I need advice to stick to it. And will post in another thread for tips.

Attachments

• 20210306_182802.jpg
    20210306_182802.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 100

Max68

@Max68 itvwould be a shame for you to go.

Thank you, happy to stay if others are. To be honest I've really cut back on the treats and whereas half a tub of grapes was the norm it's now 5 or 6 and rather than two bags of crisps it's one bag every couple of days. Changed from the milk chocolate toffees to dark and I'll have two rather than a handful and savour them rather than gulp them down! Not every day either so baby steps as they say. With trying to cut back on the cigarettes as well it's trying to work out the lesser of two evils. If I tried it all at once I suspect I'd be rocking in a corner somewhere in a cold sweat!! Really pleased with my meals though as I would always generally have some sort of potatoes, rice or pastry and bar one small portion of Vivaldi potatoes deep fried with the skins on I haven't touched chips in two weeks now which is amazing for me. I'll treat myself once in a blue moon with ham and egg or a fish and chips once every two months but bar that I've really grown fond of halloumi fries and Portobello mushrooms and amazingly broccoli so proud of myself in many ways but as my school report always said "can do better!" Pity things like the halloumi fries and gluten free products are so expensive though but that's another discussion. Looking forward to those firecracker wings though, absolutely gorgeous. Finding some really good ideas on here and never in a million years thought I would have a celeriac in the fridge!! Next challenge is home made scotch eggs!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday @Antje77 - I luv the candles and the balloon

Brunch - 1 slice slc bread with roasted cheese on top. Mug of earl grey tea.

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 Squares Lindtt 90%

Reactions: maglil55 and Max68

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some really good ideas on here and never in a million years thought I would have a celeriac in the fridge!! Next challenge is home made scotch eggs!
A
The bigger challenge is to peel and eat the celeriac! Now that's a skill!!;)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
b: a cold hard boiled egg... only because it fell out of the fridge when getting the milk!
L: 2 big portobello mushrooms baked with garlic butter and a little gorgonzola. Served on piece of my cauliflower cheese thingy toasted
One square h/m lc millionaires

D: chicken and prawn gumbo cooked by son. Very tasty. Boys had rice with theirs, I just had mine with a spoon!
A tiny piece panettone with 4 teaspoon double cream
2 glass red (its Saturday)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit of catching up again. Saturday 27 February bed 6.5 FBG 6.6.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing.
D. Cold meat selection. 1 slice each ox tongue, roast beef, haslett and mortadella with waldorf salad and baby beetroot. Another Lidl lolly although I found the last 2 boxes in yet another Lidl. I suspect they are one of these "specials" that appear every so often.

It's nice to see everyone gradually getting their jabs. @SlimLizzy - I was smiling at cat missing the mouse nest. I recall my mother's cat, if a chicken was being cooked, he would sit in front of the oven just watching.....@DJC3 - Dennis ate my glasses always reminds me of Freddie Starr ate my Hamster!

Sunday 28 February bed 7.3 FBG 6.9.

B. TAG
L. A SLC sandwich with egg mayo and a piece of the spicy carrot cake from that new place I found. It's very nice. The spicing reminds me of clootie dumpling. It's slightly dense, not too bad, I'd certainly buy more.
D. Roasted a gammon joint which I glazed with a Monk fruit "syrup" and mustard, cauliflower cheese and turnip/carrot puree. Usual campari and soda.

Onlinecaroline

Happy birthday @Antje77

Breakfast - 3 eggs mashed in a cup with butter, salt and pepper.

Lunch - 2 slices of SLC bread toasted and spread thick with butter and corn beef.

Dinner - probably going to be a tandoori take away. Followed by a DGF brownie and some homemade custard.