COPD

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Lucy, I'm sorry you are in the wars and hope that you get support with the resolution of your issues. Being in the middle of lockdown in winter can't be helping!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A gentle reminder, folks. This thread is about the OP’s diagnosis, request for support and quest to find anti-inflammatory foods.

Posts with suggestions, including videos and links are welcome, but debates which sidetrack from support for the OP are not.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I exercise as best as I can, and also use turmeric in a latte mixed with cinnamon and ginger. Use a steroid preventer inhaler, but hardly ever need the rescue one. The turmeric, ginger cinnamon drinkis especially useful if I have a cold or chesty cough.

Interesting. Do you make your own tea by mixing turmeric, ginger and cinnamon or do you use a commercial brand? ( if so which?)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Lucy, I note that as stated in post 15 and in previous posts that you do not eat a lot of meat. I was interested in the approach taken in the video posted at #40 in which a ketogenic diet helped to resolve inflammatory disease in the gut. Would it be worth considering a ketogenic diet that did not involve meat?
. This video gives suggestions for anti-inflammatory foods and recipes although a few recipes do include carbohydrate.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucylocket61

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lucy,

I am so sorry to hear about your latest battles. I agree that you have always struck me as a strong woman but someone who has had more than her share of battles. I am gobsmacked about the diagnosis over the phone.

Anyway wishing you all the best for your appointment on the 8th and will be waiting for your update.

You have had so much to cope with so I really hope the odds even out a b it and this time you get the help you need.

Good luck and a virtual handhold until the 8th.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. Do you make your own tea by mixing turmeric, ginger and cinnamon or do you use a commercial brand? ( if so which?)
Sorry, late response, and also sorry if thisis derailing.
Makeit myself using mainly dried powders, and a piece of root ginger in almond or coconut milk, with a dashof black pepper.

Reactions: DJC3

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a lovely reassuring phone call with my GP, and she saw me at the surgery an hour later!!!

She thinks that IF I have COPD then it is very mild and IF it progressed in the future, the issues would be minimal. She didn't contradict the nurse who 'diagnosed' me but said, after thoroughly listening to my chest and peak flow results, that she is not worried at this point.

Likewise with my 'high' BP, which was ok when I am at home and when she took it.

I didn't know that diabetics are supposed to have lower bp - under 120/80. Mine was a bit higher, but within the normal non-diabetic range. Just like when I take it at home. So no meds needed. GP said to contact her if I have any future worries.

So after a few weeks of distress, crying most days, and feeling like my body is failing, plus the medication side effects, I can relax again. I have background anxiety issues anyway.

Thanks for the help, and encouragement to contact my GP about all this.

Oh, and she also said that she thinks that introducing diabetic slgt meds at this stage is premature and encouraged me to try dropping my carb levels a bit more and praised my success so far.

Such a relief.

Oh, and my asthma is stable and well controlled too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a lovely reassuring phone call with my GP, and she saw me at the surgery an hour later!!!

She thinks that IF I have COPD then it is very mild and IF it progressed in the future, the issues would be minimal. She didn't contradict the nurse who 'diagnosed' me but said, after thoroughly listening to my chest and peak flow results, that she is not worried at this point.

Likewise with my 'high' BP, which was ok when I am at home and when she took it.

I didn't know that diabetics are supposed to have lower bp - under 120/80. Mine was a bit higher, but within the normal non-diabetic range. Just like when I take it at home. So no meds needed. GP said to contact her if I have any future worries.

So after a few weeks of distress, crying most days, and feeling like my body is failing, plus the medication side effects, I can relax again. I have background anxiety issues anyway.

Thanks for the help, and encouragement to contact my GP about all this.

Oh, and she also said that she thinks that introducing diabetic slgt meds at this stage is premature and encouraged me to try dropping my carb levels a bit more and praised my success so far.

Such a relief.

Oh, and my asthma is stable and well controlled too.
Glad to hear that Lucy, enjoy some relaxation for a change.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant news Lucy x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news!
I hope that doc now has a quiet word with the nurse who started the whole nonsense off!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news, Lucy- I am so glad. After all you have been through you were due some good news!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Really pleased for you @lucylocket61

All of that news soinds good and and sounds like you have a good clued up doctor there not trying to move you ontoore drugs, that's great news!

I didn't know diabetics were supposed to aim for lower blood pressure either. Wonder why that might be

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Really pleased for you @lucylocket61

All of that news soinds good and and sounds like you have a good clued up doctor there not trying to move you ontoore drugs, that's great news!

I didn't know diabetics were supposed to aim for lower blood pressure either. Wonder why that might be
When o was diagnosed I was told for a non diabetic my levels were perfect but for a diabetic they were a tiny bit high.

sibce then they have been perfect even for a diabetic. Usually takes them a few tries though, abs they gradually lower the more times they do it

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Deaths linked to diabetes are mostly due to heart disease and strokes, the risk of these is reduced with lower blood pressure.