Is my understanding right that "Fat does not..

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
..make us fat, but it's the sugar/carbs that make us fat"? Also, I just heard a video that said ALL foods turn to sugar, and wondered if what he was meaning was that ALL foods turn into energy?

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So you don't have any deficiencies from the "no carbs" or I'm guessing under 20g a day or so? I'm pretty focused right now on getting enough Potassium in my diet which comes mostly from cruciferous vegies, or a supplement. Whatever works for you and others I am thrilled about, it's high time we stopped listening to others and pay attention to our own "experience", good for you ;)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you don't have any deficiencies from the "no carbs" or I'm guessing under 20g a day or so? I'm pretty focused right now on getting enough Potassium in my diet which comes mostly from cruciferous vegies, or a supplement. Whatever works for you and others I am thrilled about, it's high time we stopped listening to others and pay attention to our own "experience", good for you ;)

Some meat and fish (especially wild salmon) is high in potassium: https://www.livestrong.com/article/83030-meats-high-potassium/

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
..make us fat, but it's the sugar/carbs that make us fat"? Also, I just heard a video that said ALL foods turn to sugar, and wondered if what he was meaning was that ALL foods turn into energy?
Hi. In general the statement appears to be true. Certainly not all foods turn to sugar but all carbs turn to glucose in the stomach. Fats go on through the digestive system and involve the gall bladder etc. It's a more complex process and in itself uses energy. I'm not sure what happens to proteins.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbohydrate is not a necessary food. You can live without it. And in my experience it's what makes us fat. My LCHF diet for the last fifteen months ( I have ignored calories and eaten when hungry, stopped when satiated) has resulted in normal BG levels and quite a bit of weight loss - not sure exactly how much but six inches off waist is fine. Also reduced blood pressure and no impact on blood lipids. So....

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. In general the statement appears to be true. Certainly not all foods turn to sugar but all carbs turn to glucose in the stomach. Fats go on through the digestive system and involve the gall bladder etc. It's a more complex process and in itself uses energy. I'm not sure what happens to proteins.

Thank for your reply @Daibell I do notice the guy I was listening too makes short, and fast videos a lot of the time so much is left out. So that statement could have had a bit more info for beginners like myself ;) The more I learn about how the body works, I see how I got here (into Type 2).

Reactions: Krystyna23040

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrate is not a necessary food. You can live without it. And in my experience it's what makes us fat. My LCHF diet for the last fifteen months ( I have ignored calories and eaten when hungry, stopped when satiated) has resulted in normal BG levels and quite a bit of weight loss - not sure exactly how much but six inches off waist is fine. Also reduced blood pressure and no impact on blood lipids. So....
The thing that comes to mind when I hear we don't need carbs, I think of Scurvey back in the day. If I remember right with my history, people, for example, didn't have enough fruits on board when they first started traveling by sea. I know there's a lot more research on that now though, I'm sure ;) PS and I see that Vitamin C was lacking which we can get elsewhere. Teach me to google before I answer ;)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @G0ldengirl68,

There have been some studies (especially by David Ludwig, for example https://nutrition.org/dietary-carbo...biological-mechanisms-of-body-weight-control/), which show that we tend to burn more calories when we eat fewer carbs, on average 150 calories more per day. However, this also depends on insulin resistance, i.e. the more insulin resistant we are, the more calories we burn in a low-carb environment (up to 400 calories a day more a day if memory serves me right).

This being said, yes it is possible to gain weight even when eating very few carbs (less than 10g for me) as I found out from personal experience. However, another benefit of low carb is that it improves satiety, so you are less likely to overeat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not dead yet.. I try to aim for 10g of carbs per day max usually from cream in coffee and milk in tea.

Reactions: LaoDan and jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing that comes to mind when I hear we don't need carbs, I think of Scurvey back in the day. If I remember right with my history, people, for example, didn't have enough fruits on board when they first started traveling by sea. I know there's a lot more research on that now though, I'm sure ;) PS and I see that Vitamin C was lacking which we can get elsewhere. Teach me to google before I answer ;)
Fresh meat has enough vitamin C to keep scurvy at bay.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @G0ldengirl68,

There have been some studies (especially by David Ludwig, for example https://nutrition.org/dietary-carbo...biological-mechanisms-of-body-weight-control/), which show that we tend to burn more calories when we eat fewer carbs, on average 150 calories more per day. However, this also depends on insulin resistance, i.e. the more insulin resistant we are, the more calories we burn in a low-carb environment (up to 400 calories a day more a day if memory serves me right).

This being said, yes it is possible to gain weight even when eating very few carbs (less than 10g for me) as I found out from personal experience. However, another benefit of low carb is that it improves satiety, so you are less likely to overeat.

This was part of what I was looking for, so thank you so much! The idea of eating so much fat, and less protein/meat made me think of 2 things and those are retaining lean muscle, and building muscle, and the second thing, gaining more fat-stores/unwanted weight. It still seems more logical to me to eat more meat than fats, I'm going the higher fat route since early March so I'll see how I do. I feel like normal today and only a slight migraine which is truly a relief.

I will definitely check your link out ;)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
All the food that we take in can be used as energy sources and fats provide roughly twice as much energy as proteins or carbohydrates. Carbohydrates can be digested to produce sugars. Simple sugars like sucrose (table sugar) are rapidly digested and absorbed, complex carbs like starch are digested more slowly.
Proteins are digested far more slowly and eventually do produce some glucose. This is why protein sources do not produce such rapid glucose spikes in the blood. When fats are broken down one of the products are fatty acids which can also be used as energy molecules. Hope this clarifies things for you!

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, this is all good information, thank you :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only