1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is my understanding right that "Fat does not..

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by G0ldengirl68, Apr 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

..make us fat, but it's the sugar/carbs that make us fat"? Also, I just heard a video that said ALL foods turn to sugar, and wondered if what he was meaning was that ALL foods turn into energy?

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Well a lot of us have found that by cutting way down on carb intake we lose a lot of weight so..

If eating fat and protein make us fat then I should be humungous..

• Like Like x 3
  3. G0ldengirl68

So you don't have any deficiencies from the "no carbs" or I'm guessing under 20g a day or so? I'm pretty focused right now on getting enough Potassium in my diet which comes mostly from cruciferous vegies, or a supplement. Whatever works for you and others I am thrilled about, it's high time we stopped listening to others and pay attention to our own "experience", good for you ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Some meat and fish (especially wild salmon) is high in potassium: https://www.livestrong.com/article/83030-meats-high-potassium/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. G0ldengirl68

Yes, I just saw that by googling. I do eat a lot of Wildcaught Salmon, and I especially like a Chuck Roast in the crock, or Pork tenderloin so I'll check the nutrition facts on those too. I'll also take a look at your link, thank you much

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. In general the statement appears to be true. Certainly not all foods turn to sugar but all carbs turn to glucose in the stomach. Fats go on through the digestive system and involve the gall bladder etc. It's a more complex process and in itself uses energy. I'm not sure what happens to proteins.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Carbohydrate is not a necessary food. You can live without it. And in my experience it's what makes us fat. My LCHF diet for the last fifteen months ( I have ignored calories and eaten when hungry, stopped when satiated) has resulted in normal BG levels and quite a bit of weight loss - not sure exactly how much but six inches off waist is fine. Also reduced blood pressure and no impact on blood lipids. So....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. G0ldengirl68

Thank for your reply @Daibell I do notice the guy I was listening too makes short, and fast videos a lot of the time so much is left out. So that statement could have had a bit more info for beginners like myself ;) The more I learn about how the body works, I see how I got here (into Type 2).

• Like Like x 1
  9. G0ldengirl68

The thing that comes to mind when I hear we don't need carbs, I think of Scurvey back in the day. If I remember right with my history, people, for example, didn't have enough fruits on board when they first started traveling by sea. I know there's a lot more research on that now though, I'm sure ;) PS and I see that Vitamin C was lacking which we can get elsewhere. Teach me to google before I answer ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @G0ldengirl68,

There have been some studies (especially by David Ludwig, for example https://nutrition.org/dietary-carbo...biological-mechanisms-of-body-weight-control/), which show that we tend to burn more calories when we eat fewer carbs, on average 150 calories more per day. However, this also depends on insulin resistance, i.e. the more insulin resistant we are, the more calories we burn in a low-carb environment (up to 400 calories a day more a day if memory serves me right).

This being said, yes it is possible to gain weight even when eating very few carbs (less than 10g for me) as I found out from personal experience. However, another benefit of low carb is that it improves satiety, so you are less likely to overeat.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bulkbiker

Not dead yet.. I try to aim for 10g of carbs per day max usually from cream in coffee and milk in tea.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bulkbiker

Fresh meat has enough vitamin C to keep scurvy at bay.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. G0ldengirl68

This was part of what I was looking for, so thank you so much! The idea of eating so much fat, and less protein/meat made me think of 2 things and those are retaining lean muscle, and building muscle, and the second thing, gaining more fat-stores/unwanted weight. It still seems more logical to me to eat more meat than fats, I'm going the higher fat route since early March so I'll see how I do. I feel like normal today and only a slight migraine which is truly a relief.

I will definitely check your link out ;)

14. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All the food that we take in can be used as energy sources and fats provide roughly twice as much energy as proteins or carbohydrates. Carbohydrates can be digested to produce sugars. Simple sugars like sucrose (table sugar) are rapidly digested and absorbed, complex carbs like starch are digested more slowly.
    Proteins are digested far more slowly and eventually do produce some glucose. This is why protein sources do not produce such rapid glucose spikes in the blood. When fats are broken down one of the products are fatty acids which can also be used as energy molecules. Hope this clarifies things for you!

• Like Like x 1
  15. G0ldengirl68

Yes, this is all good information, thank you :)

16. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you seen this thread? Based on the work of Dr Ted Naiman - worth checking him out.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/p-e-dieting.180913/

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook