P:E dieting

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Big fan of Teds work, I haven’t tried anything specific, just fiddling with the ratios.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Summary, please for those who need to go to sleep now ?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @bulkbiker

I think @Mbaker is an advocate of this too and I’ll also tag @DJC3 as she’s also interested.

I’d steadily put on weight (all around the middle) for 18 months (lockdown did not help) and several attempts to change it hadn’t worked. Started experimenting with this after listening to a video on dietdoctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/interviews/naiman-lcc2018 (think you may need to be a full member to see this, in which case the other one linked at the end of this post is similar).

@MrsA2 - short summary is eat real foods, prioritise protein over fat, remove or limit added ‘refined’ fats (butter, cream etc). PE stands for Protein-Energy, with the idea being that the higher the protein to energy ratio, the better for preserving/developing muscle mass and decreasing body fat.

The PE ratio is calculated by dividing the total grams of protein in a food stuff by the sum of the total grams of carbs plus fat. A ratio of 1 is recommended for maintenance (steak and eggs is his simple example) and above that for fat loss.

See the attached pics - his graphics - for a very simple summary. He does also recommend short, intense, resistance exercise.

Been giving this a whirl since the start of March, in a broad brush sort of way - i.e not macro tracking, rather eating more of the foods that have a PE ratio above 1 (and ideally 1.5 or higher) and less of those with a ratio below 1 - and omitting those below 0.6. For this purpose I’ve drawn up a spreadsheet of things I regularly eat, plus a few I’ve bought to try and calculated the PE ratio.

I haven’t been doing the resistance exercises, and not even my usual walking as I’ve been under the weather for some time (plan to add them when I can). I’ve also not been weighing (do that once a month now) as this is more about body composition. However, my body shape has noticeably changed over the month - more shape around the waist; clothes looser, that sort of thing. It has also just clicked that when weighed at a hospital appointment yesterday, with more clothes than when I weigh at home, I was more than a full kilo lighter than last time I weighed at home. Enjoying the way of eating too.

I have the kindle version of his book (the hardcover one is eye wateringly expensive) and it’s clear and well written, but not essential for grasping the concepts.

Video below, plus some screenshots from my spreadsheet which shows how small changes make a difference to PE ratio.

edited for typo

Attachments

• D030AA47-5D1E-40A3-8ECD-2B263FB5E00D.jpg
    D030AA47-5D1E-40A3-8ECD-2B263FB5E00D.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 536
  • BF0B5EA7-9368-469A-B7D8-E530029A3AB3.jpg
    BF0B5EA7-9368-469A-B7D8-E530029A3AB3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 502
  • 233B4B7E-84C3-42AE-93C3-1FF045E3A414.jpeg
    233B4B7E-84C3-42AE-93C3-1FF045E3A414.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 554
  • 423C49E8-B987-4A70-A541-B5990A3C385C.jpeg
    423C49E8-B987-4A70-A541-B5990A3C385C.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 503
  • 8C3542C3-8DE7-42E4-B31D-79172A9F32FA.jpeg
    8C3542C3-8DE7-42E4-B31D-79172A9F32FA.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 494
  • A82932A3-7FE8-44A0-A39E-6AACFDA1713C.jpeg
    A82932A3-7FE8-44A0-A39E-6AACFDA1713C.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 465
  • 8BB05E6A-9475-4211-9590-388D4D132253.jpeg
    8BB05E6A-9475-4211-9590-388D4D132253.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Reactions: Mbaker

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek

I think @Mbaker is an advocate of this too and I’ll also tag @DJC3 as she’s also interested.

I’d steadily put on weight (all around the middle) for 18 months (lockdown did not help) and several attempts to change it hadn’t worked. Started experimenting with this after listening to a video on dietdoctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/interviews/naiman-lcc2018 (think you may need to be a full member to see this, in which case the other one linked at the end of this post is similar).

@MrsA2 - short summary is eat real foods, prioritise protein over fat, remove or limit added ‘refined’ fats (butter, cream etc). PE stands for Protein-Energy, with the idea being that the higher the protein to energy ratio, the better for preserving/developing muscle mass and decreasing body fat.

The PE ratio is calculated by dividing the total grams of protein in a food stuff by the sum of the total grams of carbs plus fat. A ratio of 1 is recommended for maintenance (steak and eggs is his simple example) and above that for fat loss.

See the attached pics - his graphics - for a very simple summary. He does also recommend short, intense, resistance exercise.

Been giving this a whirl since the start of March, in a broad brush sort of way - i.e not macro tracking, rather eating more of the foods that have a PE ratio above 1 (and ideally 1.5 or higher) and less of those with a ratio below 1 - and omitting those below 0.6. For this purpose I’ve drawn up a spreadsheet of things I regularly eat, plus a few I’ve bought to try and calculated the PE ratio.

I haven’t been doing the resistance exercises, and not even my usual walking as I’ve been under the weather for some time (plan to add them when I can). I’ve also not been weighing (do that once a month now) as this is more about body composition. However, my body shape has noticeably changed over the month - more shape around the waist; clothes looser, that sort of thing. It has also just clicked that when weighed at a hospital appointment yesterday, with more clothes than when I weigh at home, I was more than a full kilo lighter than last time I weighed at home. Enjoying the way of eating too.

I have the kindle version of his book (the hardcover one is eye wateringly expensive) and it’s clear and well written, but not essential for grasping the concepts.

Video below, plus some screenshots from my spreadsheet which shows how small changes make a difference to PE ratio.

edited for typo
Thanks for video I've started to follow him on twitter as was trying to work out his WOE as saw some information by Dr Andreas Eenfedt from diet doctor saying he had started to try out the PE diet so will have a listen. Impressive results well done

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

edited for typo
Is this the Atkin's diet?

Reactions: lucylocket61

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the Atkin's diet?
In a nutshell it is based on prioritising protein over fat whilst still severely limiting carbs.

So say pork fillet over bacon.
Skinless chicken breasts over skin on.

Don't drench food in butter (although not many successful ketoers do that anyway but still).

Ted tries to simplify everything which often leads to a lack of nuance but overall it looks sound.

I have had the book on my shelf for a while but just flipped through it for the second time.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for starting the thread @bulkbiker and for the tag @Goonergal
I’m reading and listening to as much as I can on this atm and it seems to make a lot of sense. I’ve always found protein more satiating than fat and struggled with the meagre amounts suggested by keto.
I’ve found regular Hiit exercise really helpful too ( although I’m nowhere near his level of being able to pull myself up off the floor holding the doorframe). I know Bernstein has also advocated the daily ‘exercise muscles to fail’ system, alternating upper and lower body.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Where I personally have a problem with Ted Naiman's approach is that he appears to favour carbs over fats. I have seen some of his suggestions for P:E meals and they were too high in carbs for me.
So I feel he's more interested in weight loss and body-building than in controlling diabetes.

Edited to say that as a 70yr old with no interest in sport and weight back as low as it was in my 20ys, I have no interest in either weight loss or in body building - my wife wouldn't be impressed!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting post, I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where I personally have a problem with Ted Naiman's approach is that he appears to favour carbs over fats

I disagree. Especially with his more recent stuff. His theory is that high carbs + high fat are a toxic combination. I wouldn’t disagree. The PE ratio does allow for a higher proportion of carbs, but necessarily that would involve a far lower fat intake to get the ratio right. The carbs he suggests come from fibre. For me increasing protein alongside almost zero carbs allows for plenty of fat - I’m certainly not leaving the skin off any chicken or cutting fat off meat. Just choosing slightly different cuts.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

edited for typo
It is worth ago, Diet Doctor are going higher protein. I had my suspicions due to comments Bret Scher has said regarding setting protein at 30% of calories in a couple of his last videos.

This appears confirmed by the boss man.

https://twitter.com/DrEenfeldt/status/1368967924938051589?s=20

upload_2021-3-31_15-26-34.png

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is worth ago, Diet Doctor are going higher protein. I had my suspicions due to comments Bret Scher has said regarding setting protein at 30% of calories in a couple of his last videos.

This appears confirmed by the boss man.

https://twitter.com/DrEenfeldt/status/1368967924938051589?s=20

View attachment 48515

I still think its more of a "tweak" rather than a replacement for a well formulated keto diet and intermittent fasting.

I've crossed swords with Ted a few times on twitter about some of the things he has said, think we're about even at the moment.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Great stuff. Some of my thoughts.

Upping protein definitely kicked me out of ketosis, some percentage is being used as energy. Gluconeogenesis isn’t as “ on demand “ as I thought.

It’s super easy to get back into ketosis, just pull back a bit and up the fats.

if I go too lean, I get crazy hungry, I need to up the fats.

I play around with stuff, I.e. chicken breast and avocados. So I’m getting a different fat profile. I also do things like alternate meals. I.e ribeye and chicken breast, this works great!

my goal is to build muscle and it’s working. But.. when it’s time to lean out, I know it’s not going to be easy, I’m probably going to go with something like 3 days lean, 1 day fat refead

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I still think its more of a "tweak" rather than a replacement for a well formulated keto diet and intermittent fasting.

I've crossed swords with Ted a few times on twitter about some of the things he has said, think we're about even at the moment.
I agree, that's what I have done is tweak Ketocarnivore. My second course platter I pushed out the berries for sardines, alongside, nuts and home made seed crackers with cheese - main meal was a Keto Chicken Tagine.

All of the guru's have something that wrankle's, Paul Saladino I disagree with on the honey, as although he smashes insulin sensitivity, I still don't like the rise differential he gets....but he puts the case so well for other aspects.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

edited for typo
Thank you for posting this information. Just a quick question - do they mention anywhere if it is OK to use whey protein as I am definitely eating far to little protein and using it would help me boost my levels really easily.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Thank you for posting this information. Just a quick question - do they mention anywhere if it is OK to use whey protein as I am definitely eating far to little protein and using it would help me boost my levels really easily.

Prefer whole food, but whey or casein protein is fine. Whey can raise BG levels a tad, so test it. Recently I’ve been making smoothies from egg whites, I buy it by the carton

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Prefer whole food, but whey or casein protein is fine. Whey can raise BG levels a tad, so test it. Recently I’ve been making smoothies from egg whites, I buy it by the carton
Thank you. Will look at egg whites - I hadn't thought of that.