bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can read more about it here
Thanks for this, this is useful.
Yes I am losing weight, I've lost 2.5 stone so far (BMI is now 27) and would like to lose another 2 stone .
I think I'll see what the next test in 3 months shows.
I'd certainly do that before taking any possibly nasty medication..

Max68

Can coffee with a drop of semi skimmed milk affect a blood test? My HBA1c had jumped big time last week and my triglycerides were also high again going from 6.7 to 7.3 since last July (even on these nasty pills!) although bizarrely my cholesterol had dropped from 5.6 to 5.0 since last time. I might also have eaten late as well the night before although I can't remember. When I got to the surgery she said she wasn't aware that I was down for my HBA1c test (which they don't ask you to fast for now) but she said she would do a general bloods instead which I am sure you do have to. Therefore wondering if that coffee and possible late eating made a difference? Also a tad worried now that to get the HBA1c down I am cutting right back on carbs and eating more fat but will that increase my cholesterol even more?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got to the surgery she said she wasn't aware that I was down for my HBA1c test (which they don't ask you to fast for now)

"they" never have.. cholesterol testing is fasted not HbA1c. Full lipid panel shouldbe anyway.
Coffee has been know to have an impact on triglyceride levels which is why water fasting for 12-14 hours before the blood is taken should always be recommended.

Also a tad worried now that to get the HBA1c down I am cutting right back on carbs and eating more fat but will that increase my cholesterol even more?
In short no.

Reactions: Max68

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can coffee with a drop of semi skimmed milk affect a blood test? My HBA1c had jumped big time last week and my triglycerides were also high again going from 6.7 to 7.3 since last July (even on these nasty pills!) although bizarrely my cholesterol had dropped from 5.6 to 5.0 since last time. I might also have eaten late as well the night before although I can't remember. When I got to the surgery she said she wasn't aware that I was down for my HBA1c test (which they don't ask you to fast for now) but she said she would do a general bloods instead which I am sure you do have to. Therefore wondering if that coffee and possible late eating made a difference? Also a tad worried now that to get the HBA1c down I am cutting right back on carbs and eating more fat but will that increase my cholesterol even more?
An HbA1c test represents an average blood glucose over the past 12 weeks, it is not affected by recent meals and does not require fasting.

Reactions: Max68

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Coffee made in cafetieres or by passing water directly through ground beans can raise cholesterol quite considerably. I only found this out recently. Filtering coffee removes the oils responsible.

Reactions: DJC3

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just adding this paper on lipid panels and the ketogenic diet. Currently listening to one of the authors - Dr Nick Norwitz - on Clubhouse!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7174731/
An interesting study indeed, but sadly an (n=1) study so cannot infer a generalised message. The subject is also not available for follow-up (seemingly) so long-term efficacy cannot be established either. But the science in the study seems sound and is supported by other researchers. It is the fluffy big ones that are the friendly ones, and the small dense ones the peaky blinders,

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee made in cafetieres or by passing water directly through ground beans can raise cholesterol quite considerably. I only found this out recently. Filtering coffee removes the oils responsible.

Good to know, thank you. I nearly always use a filter rather than a cafetière.
In the back of my mind I knew there was a good reason for this but couldn’t remember what!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the short term I guess?
Cholesterol levels can after all be pretty dynamic.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
In the short term I guess?
Cholesterol levels can after all be pretty dynamic.
I'm guessing in the short term as well. The research came after a discussion with a friend who has had cardiovascular issues and was prescribed statins amongst other drugs. He virtually became a different man as a result - could only walk 100m before the pain became agonising etc.
He also drank 6-8 cups of coffee a day but discovered that his blood cholesterol levels dropped considerably when he stopped drinking coffee. Hence the research and at the moment I can't find the relevant papers. I have retained a clip from a doctor's column in a women's magazine that also says not to drink unfiltered coffee before a lipid panel as it can raise the outcome by as much as 10%.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He had very high LDL which is why he was prescribed statins in the first place. I don't know about his ratios. I just know that without the statins he has returned to his old, lovable self!
Interesting read!

Indeed..

And again LDL is not necessarily the "bad" character it is made out to be..

Statins do appear to be the devil though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting and short glimpse at cholesterol and why more isn't "bad".

Lindyloo56

Although I joined this forum on behalf of my special needs son, who has just about all hormones in need of restoring due to Hypopituitarism and Septo -Optic Dysplasia , I am, at present doing the Low Carb Diet with the Pre-Diabetes Programme. I am also Hypothyroid after sub-total thyroidectomy for Graves. So many of the problems overlap for both conditions and on the Thyroid forums I belong to we are also against taking Statins for high Cholesterol. I feel that this thread with the information you have given on Metformin (as many thyroid patients take this too) @bulkbiker, would also be useful to them. Can I have your permission to give this information on these forums too please. I also know that some of our forum are also on this forum, so hopefully they will see this thread too.
statins work by disrupting the Mevalonate pathway. They not only stop you producing cholesterol they stop you producing Thyroid hormones, sex hormones, CoQ10, D3 and Selenium.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
statins work by disrupting the Mevalonate pathway. They not only stop you producing cholesterol they stop you producing Thyroid hormones, sex hormones, CoQ10, D3 and Selenium.
please may I have some links to where you found this information?

Lindyloo56

Should I just stop taking statins? I feel I should stop. A doc on the radio yesterday said they do not prevent heart attacks so why have I been prescribed them. I’m thinking I will just reduce fat intake which is pretty low in any case. I’ve lost half my body weight my last blood results show that I have normal liver function so no fatty liver any more. What I read and hear about statins is not very reassuring. I’m on 40mg a day. My husband who is overweight is only in 10mg. ☹️
reduce carbs not saturated fats, saturated fats do not cause your insulin levels. If you reduce dietary fats your liver just makes more cholesterol. Every cell .com your body is lined with cholesterol. The brain makes its own because it is essential for repair and replacement of the neurons and synapses, without this you develop dementia. Almost 50% of the brain is made up of cholesterol.