Diet culture is it such a thing.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
So basically I am writing this post for a couple of reason.

I have documented my Journey on Instagram in the hope of inspiring other to find a way them self to control their own diabetes, recently I have been getting a lot of DM's from Fat activists.

They are saying things like I am spreading dangerous diet culture and I have become thin Privilege .

When I explain being Larger was effecting my health and I was diabetic due to my size, I get abuse and then they block me.

The other is Demi Lovato is having a moan about a frozen yogurt shop in LA called big chill, Big chill has lots of sugar free option. She has complained about them promoting diet culture and they should do better.

I am wrong in thinking that, going from unhealthy to healthy is a good thing and you shouldn't get trolled becuase someone doesnt want to do that them self.

Also the yogurt shop sounds class, I would love the options like that. Then I wouldn't have to say no, explain my self. But then again I do like a cheat day.

So is diet culture real or is it just a made up term. So people can feel better about not eating healthy?

Reactions: Larissima and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would call it health culture rather than diet culture, so keep spreading it. :)

Now the thing that is very wrong is troll culture. No one should get trolled for any reason. If they don't like it they don't have to read it. If someone is secure in who they are and how they look they wouldn't be at all rattled by anything you write. My guess is that they are unhappy but scared to make the changes which they could do one thing at a time if it suits them better.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As a long term fatty, I've never understood "fat activists". I understand body positivity, and on the whole, I think that it's a good thing to be happy in your own skin, but I never understood how "activism" transposes into telling someone else that they are wrong for expressing their own beliefs.
Diet culture is a thing, but it's no more negative than it's opposite (I don't really want to call it "fat culture" but that's what it is). The fact is that we're all independent beings and we all have the right to do whatever we like with our body. I personally don't choose to stick my head in the sand about my weight and health. I choose to try and make a difference, because I quite like this life and I'd quite like to have as much of it as possible!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a long term fatty, I've never understood "fat activists". I understand body positivity, and on the whole, I think that it's a good thing to be happy in your own skin, but I never understood how "activism" transposes into telling someone else that they are wrong for expressing their own beliefs.
Diet culture is a thing, but it's no more negative than it's opposite (I don't really want to call it "fat culture" but that's what it is). The fact is that we're all independent beings and we all have the right to do whatever we like with our body. I personally don't choose to stick my head in the sand about my weight and health. I choose to try and make a difference, because I quite like this life and I'd quite like to have as much of it as possible!

wish I could like your post 1000 times.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So basically I am writing this post for a couple of reason.

I have documented my Journey on Instagram in the hope of inspiring other to find a way them self to control their own diabetes, recently I have been getting a lot of DM's from Fat activists.

They are saying things like I am spreading dangerous diet culture and I have become thin Privilege .

When I explain being Larger was effecting my health and I was diabetic due to my size, I get abuse and then they block me.

The other is Demi Lovato is having a moan about a frozen yogurt shop in LA called big chill, Big chill has lots of sugar free option. She has complained about them promoting diet culture and they should do better.

I am wrong in thinking that, going from unhealthy to healthy is a good thing and you shouldn't get trolled becuase someone doesnt want to do that them self.

Also the yogurt shop sounds class, I would love the options like that. Then I wouldn't have to say no, explain my self. But then again I do like a cheat day.

So is diet culture real or is it just a made up term. So people can feel better about not eating healthy?
I had the misfortune to read a book by one of these people so here goes.
Diet Culture is an idea promoted by the Healthy at Every Size 'community' . It is the latest branch of identity politics in which a group in society, in this case fat people, decide that they are uniquely victimised by their condition. If they have other immutable characteristics (gender, sexuality, race) that are in the minority they can increase their score on the victimhood totem pole. Those who aren't fat are deemed to have 'thin privilege' and the movement seeks to promote 'intuitive eating' and practical stuff like bigger seats in restaurants/airplanes and different beauty stands. See Tess Halliday and 'F your Beauty Standards' etc. and the furore over her appearance on s a swimsuit at 300 pounds (Cosmo). They seek to ban medical terms such as obese and seek to change the way we describe ourselves (not fat but living in a larger body) . There's a commercial element to this too because as people get larger they are keen to feel better about themselves and magazines etc. are keen to oblige! Lots of the HAZE bunch are young and pretty females who don't yet have health problems and it is interesting that there are no visible older people who have crippled knees, diabetic amputations etc.
I think they are correct in that conventional diets (calorie restriction) don't tend to work in the long term and can therefore damage the dieter's self confidence. I am sure a fat person can be 'healthier' than another fat person who eats badly and does not exercise but ultimately you can't be healthy with lots of excess fat and 80% of overweight people will develop metabolic issues compared to 40% of the normal weight people.
People who leave this cult are 'thin shamed' for visibly rejecting their bad ideas and this is what you've experienced since you've charted your weight loss in the public space. It is your body and I expect you've had plenty of admiration and support for what you have done so don't let the activists drag you down or convince you that it is healthy to be fat. Hopefully you are feeling better where you are and are finding ways to maintain the loss (the tough bit IMO). Good luck.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Totally agree. Great post.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat shaming is wrong and I agree with the fat activists that it is the one area of victimisation that is still legal. Try as I might I can't get down to a normal weight yet I some people look at me like I am a glutton and lazy. I am neither and I don't like being judged by my weight. I have always had a more healthy diet than my hubby, yet a doctor once told him to keep on doing what he is doing as it must be right. So he did just that and came home and ate 4 Snickers bars.

Thin shaming is also just as wrong. I guess a fat person who slims down successfully is viewed like an ex-smoker who has left the smoking culture.

Why anyone wants to shame anyone is a mystery to me.

Reactions: KK123 and HSSS

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they have other immutable characteristics (gender, sexuality, race) that are in the minority they can increase their score on the victimhood totem pole.

Sorry? Why bring race into it?, are you saying that certain 'minority' races are simply on some 'victimhood totem pole'?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry? Why bring race into it?, are you saying that certain 'minority' races are simply on some 'victimhood totem pole'?
It is just the theory of identity politics. In this case that being fat is something you can do nothing about being equated to race, gender, sexuality etc. where a trans person of colour identifying as female who is also fat is deemed to be the most oppressed person (the theory of intersectionality). This is not to deny discrimination against minorities but I object to the idea that fat people can't change their body size. I also don't like identity politics but that's my opinion and I understand that many don't agree so I mentioned it because the anti diet culture people talk about it.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diet is not just about reducing fat. There are many reasons for following a diet - some health related, some ethically related and some culturally/religiously.
I totally agree that fat shaming is a bad thing. Skinny shaming is too. It exists and I have been a victim of it - it hurts.

Most of what @luceeloo wrote can apply to skinny-shaming too.
My natural body shape is not my choice so I should not be picked on because of it.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is just the theory of identity politics. In this case that being fat is something you can do nothing about being equated to race, gender, sexuality etc. where a trans person of colour identifying as female who is also fat is deemed to be the most oppressed person (the theory of intersectionality). This is not to deny discrimination against minorities but I object to the idea that fat people can't change their body size. I also don't like identity politics but that's my opinion and I understand that many don't agree so I mentioned it because the anti diet culture people talk about it.

It was your term 'victimhood totem pole' that I personally find distasteful.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there is an element of some pushing images onto people of that the perfect body should look like, and that is not really possible leading to a pushback but that can be too far the other way too. Being happy in the body you are in is important but self-denial can easily happen too. Body shaming and gym body and women becoming “perfect” days after giving birth is not good

I have lost weight and I hate how my stomach looks now, and that’s probably a lot to do with the flat abs and perfect bodies the ‘celebrities’ talk of. Ignoring the photoshop/medical intervention/etc. I don’t often see images of male celebs celebrated with stretch marks and flabby bits from weight loss

As Britney said, “too fat now too thin” (I paraphrase)

As with many things internet and generally people wise, you will get both sides being vastly opposed with centre ground being overlooked.

I lost weight for myself, not for anyone else’s but I’ve already had the comments about looking too thin (I’m not) but it does make me question myself

medical evidence shows certain body types have more likliehood of medical problems, too heavy and too thin. Having healthy balance meals (unique to the persons tolerances) is to be applauded I think but if there is an undercurrent of trying to suggest to people that gym body and size 0 is the aim, then that seems a culture that should be addressed

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not to deny discrimination against minorities but I object to the idea that fat people can't change their body size.
There are a few of us here who can't change their body size... I wish you could live for a month in my body and you would see what it feels like.

Reactions: KK123

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was your term 'victimhood totem pole' that I personally find distasteful.
Fair enough. How would you express the idea ? Note that I'm describing the idea of identity politics rather than saying all minorities behave in this way. I object to any politics which doesn't treat people as individuals.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are a few of us here who can't change their body size... I wish you could live for a month in my body and you would see what it feels like.
I understand that changing your body is much more difficult for some people than others particularly if you are very insulin resistant and I am not a natural skinny myself having had a bad relationship with food in the past. This movement actually encourages people to eat whatever they feel like and to believe that there will be no health consequences. It goes without saying that we should not make any judgements about people based on their appearance but should judge them by what they do to keep healthy (if its is any of your business that is).
I think being fat is especially difficult because it is such a visual sign and others love to attach moral meaning to it, as you've previously said.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First, avoid using social media. There was a world before it and we survived! There is no place for fat shaming but also GPs etc should feel free to suggest to someone that some weight loss could be beneficial if they are obviously overweight and particularly if they have diabetes and high BS.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I object to the idea that fat people can't change their body size.
Yes, this has struck a nerve about what is wrong with perception of some, and the root of the anti fat shaming movement (which i can understand although I dont agree with the lengths some go to in it)

If you, or anyone else, can tell me how I can lose my weight, after nearly 40 of dieting, including nearly 10 years of low carbing and controlling my blood sugar levels, please let me know.

I have been my exact same weight (19 stones) for 23 years, since something went wrong with my body and I gained 7 stones in 10 months and have never lost it. I was not slim to begin with either.

So yes I am ranting at you, and other like you, who are ill informed and incorrect and hurtful.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First, avoid using social media. There was a world before it and we survived! There is no place for fat shaming but also GPs etc should feel free to suggest to someone that some weight loss could be beneficial if they are obviously overweight and particularly if they have diabetes and high BS.
Maybe because I am old, but that tends to be my attitude when I hear about people suffering from abuse or whatever on social media. Simple solution, don't look at it. Surely there is more to life than being "liked" by people you don't know.

Reactions: Larissima

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe because I am old, but that tends to be my attitude when I hear about people suffering from abuse or whatever on social media. Simple solution, don't look at it. Surely there is more to life than being "liked" by people you don't know.
I read the OP as a query about a movement he or she finds baffling, not a go at social media in general. Social media can be a great tool.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Isn't this forum a form of social media?