P:E dieting

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm rather envious of those who have been drinking vats of double cream. lol.
I've never been able to do that.
I do stick to roughly keto fat/protein macros, but that is for two reasons, firstly large amounts of protein seem to overload my digestive system and leave me feeling claggy and weighed down, and it sits like a weight in my stomach, and secondly because the fat is satisfying, when I am limited in the amount of protein I can digest. But too much fat has the same effect as too much protein... so I need to balance both to appetite and my body's own capacity to digest.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 I’m enjoying it too. Very little movement on the scales for me, but I’ve lost a few cms from my waist and hips - that’s what I’m focusing on rather than weight.

I’m just using cream in one or two cups of tea a day, rather than consuming vats of it. Just need to cut out the Nando’s nuts that keep creeping in now!
@Goonergal Yes, I am focussing primarily on waist measurement also which is why I was so shocked by the weight loss.

I had also been consuming vats of double cream - and what was a bit scary was that the only places the extra fat was being deposited was around my waist and abdomen. I think that you posted the link to P.E. just in time for me to stop doing serious damage to my health.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm rather envious of those who have been drinking vats of double cream. lol.
I've never been able to do that.
I do stick to roughly keto fat/protein macros, but that is for two reasons, firstly large amounts of protein seem to overload my digestive system and leave me feeling claggy and weighed down, and it sits like a weight in my stomach, and secondly because the fat is satisfying, when I am limited in the amount of protein I can digest. But too much fat has the same effect as too much protein... so I need to balance both to appetite and my body's own capacity to digest.
Actually, I am rather envious of you - as you haven't been consuming vat loads of double cream and have balanced your protein and fat intake perfectly.

Mine was so out of balance. I am a bit ashamed to report that often fat was 150g (mostly from double cream) and protein 29g - which is so wrong and unhealthy. Yesterday fat was 75g and protein 98g.

To get that protein level I did have to supplement with casein and whey protein as I still struggle with a small appetite for everything (except double cream) and some days fat and protein are equal - depending on what I eat. For the extra protein I have had to add another 5g of psyllium husks making 15g in total.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
3 days 9 hours ago I posted that I had gained 3 inches around my waist over the past year. I noticed yesterday my trousers were not quite so tight around my waist so have just checked and found I have lost over an inch since then.

I did have to measure my waist again to check that this was correct and read back in this thread to check just when I had discovered the 3 inch gain.

Can you really lose fat around your waist that fast - just by cutting down on fat and increasing protein or is the inch loss due to something else. Very puzzling. I have also lost another half pound in the three days.

Reactions: Larissima and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 days 9 hours ago I posted that I had gained 3 inches around my waist over the past year. I noticed yesterday my trousers were not quite so tight around my waist so have just checked and found I have lost over an inch since then.

I did have to measure my waist again to check that this was correct and read back in this thread to check just when I had discovered the 3 inch gain.

Can you really lose fat around your waist that fast - just by cutting down on fat and increasing protein or is the inch loss due to something else. Very puzzling. I have also lost another half pound in the three days.

That does sound a bit quick, but I don’t know enough to say whether it’s likely to be correct. Certainly the weight could be a natural fluctuation, but weight and inch loss combined seems to point towards actual loss. Great progress if so!

Reactions: DJC3

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That does sound a bit quick, but I don’t know enough to say whether it’s likely to be correct. Certainly the weight could be a natural fluctuation, but weight and inch loss combined seems to point towards actual loss. Great progress if so!
Hopefully you are right and it is actual loss. It would be really wonderful if it was.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I suspect it is possible - I lost 12 inches off my waist after burning the diet sheets from my GP and going back to low carb. It might not be entirely down to fat loss, as there is quite a lot of water retention when eating carbs, but more reduction in size than weight of fat is fine by me.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect it is possible - I lost 12 inches off my waist after burning the diet sheets from my GP and going back to low carb. It might not be entirely down to fat loss, as there is quite a lot of water retention when eating carbs, but more reduction in size than weight of fat is fine by me.
12 inches from your waist is brilliant. Inch loss from my waist hasn't been as much as I had hoped even though I never go above 20g carbs.

I am feeling fairly optimistic that the P.E. Diet will rectify this. I am definitely feeling a greater sense of wellbeing since starting it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't claim to have regained my youthful weight - though I did lose a fair bit - the biggest alteration was going from ( ) to a more ) ( shape. In my 20s I was decidedly ) ( I have some really good leather and suede miniskirts from that time which would just about make fair sized handbags.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alright, I've only just started paying attention to Ted Naiman and PE. My initial thoughts after watching a few interviews and lectures on YouTube, and skimming this thread, is it doesn't all quite hang together yet for me. I will do more review and see if it makes sense, but he seems to want to topple a lot of principles in low-carb/keto eating, but doesn't necessarily have the science to back it up. Of course I could be wrong, and I will keep digging.

My biggest concerns is it seems to consider fat and carbs as equivalent, which I dont believe is true for a T2 diabetic. It also seems to be circling back to the "calories in/calories out" model by taking a "mechanical engineering" approach and ignoring all the endocrinology.

I think that within the constraints of an already low-carb diet, it may be defensible that protein should be higher than is typical in a keto diet. I also think that vs the SAD, it's a clear improvement. But as a new theory of everything, I dont think it meets the burden of proof. Some of the interviews and lectures are pretty smug, and talks about keto as if it's a fad that has already passed. I find that a bit off-putting, although he seems pretty welcome in the low-carb community, so it might just be me.

Again, just first impressions.

Reactions: Larissima

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My biggest concerns is it seems to consider fat and carbs as equivalent,

But it’s flexible. No need to eat ANY carbs. I’m finding that blood glucose is better and I’m losing inches without doing anything except tweak to slightly less fatty cuts of meat to increase the protein fat ratio. No additional carbs whatsoever.

Reactions: HSSS

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alright, I've only just started paying attention to Ted Naiman and PE. My initial thoughts after watching a few interviews and lectures on YouTube, and skimming this thread, is it doesn't all quite hang together yet for me. I will do more review and see if it makes sense, but he seems to want to topple a lot of principles in low-carb/keto eating, but doesn't necessarily have the science to back it up. Of course I could be wrong, and I will keep digging.

My biggest concerns is it seems to consider fat and carbs as equivalent, which I dont believe is true for a T2 diabetic. It also seems to be circling back to the "calories in/calories out" model by taking a "mechanical engineering" approach and ignoring all the endocrinology.

I think that within the constraints of an already low-carb diet, it may be defensible that protein should be higher than is typical in a keto diet. I also think that vs the SAD, it's a clear improvement. But as a new theory of everything, I dont think it meets the burden of proof. Some of the interviews and lectures are pretty smug, and talks about keto as if it's a fad that has already passed. I find that a bit off-putting, although he seems pretty welcome in the low-carb community, so it might just be me.

I found it a bit confusing when I first looked into it too. I don’t think he’s saying fat and carbs are equivalent though. The way I understand it is this:
‘cut the carbs unless packaged with fibre’ ie leafy above ground veg - same as keto.
Fat is good so long as it’s packaged with protein ie fatty cuts of meat, chicken with skin, eggs etc. Same as keto
The difference seems to me in how to achieve satiety. Whereas in keto I would have added extra fat, maybe in the form of a creamy cheesy sauce, TN is saying just add extra protein - an extra chicken thigh or 2. This gives satiety without the extraneous fat.
For me this has been easier to achieve. I never bought into the bulletproof coffee and fat bomb aspects of keto - that really did seem faddy.
I guess it’s like so much else in diabetes control, we all have to find what works for us.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You can't sell a very expensive book unless you claim that the information is new. No money is to be made from a video that says just do what I said last time. The world's population is not dying out from not calculating their macros. It is a first world problem, trying to treat eating like a science experiment, but nobody is going to live forever. Get some enjoyment from a varied diet, cut down on carbs if you are a diabetic and you are good to go. (my book is not going to be a best seller!)

Reactions: Larissima and Pasha

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have delayed posting an update on my P.E. Diet in relation to my resting heart rate in case this was a 'flash in the pan'.

Just a very brief history to give you some background on why I think this is very important for me.

May 2012 diagnosed with Hb1ac 125 and a resting heart rate 122. With insulin to control blood sugars resting heart rate dropped back to a more normal 62.

I bought an oxymeter and it showed that maintained this until September 2012 when I was on statins for 26 days which I had to stop after severe muscle pain and weakness. Resting heart rate back to to over 100. Apparently all caused because I am statin intolerant.

Muscle damage took about 7:years to repair but resting heart rate has stayed stubbornly high at around 87.

A few months ago it did drop to 69. I was so excited that I.posted in on our chat forum but sadly it was only one reading and the next day it resting heart rate was back to 89. I do continuously check it in case it it rises above 100 as I would need to seek medical help - it is not because I am obsessive.

Started P.E. diet around 1st April. After a couple of weeks resting heart rate started dropping into the 70s and then into the high 60s. Oxymeter must be broken. Bought new one. Both show identical readings. Resting heart rate now 65. So it does look as this is due to the PE diet. Really happy with this unexpected effect.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have delayed posting an update on my P.E. Diet in relation to my resting heart rate in case this was a 'flash in the pan'.

Just a very brief history to give you some background on why I think this is very important for me.

May 2012 diagnosed with Hb1ac 125 and a resting heart rate 122. With insulin to control blood sugars resting heart rate dropped back to a more normal 62.

I bought an oxymeter and it showed that maintained this until September 2012 when I was on statins for 26 days which I had to stop after severe muscle pain and weakness. Resting heart rate back to to over 100. Apparently all caused because I am statin intolerant.

Muscle damage took about 7:years to repair but resting heart rate has stayed stubbornly high at around 87.

A few months ago it did drop to 69. I was so excited that I.posted in on our chat forum but sadly it was only one reading and the next day it resting heart rate was back to 89. I do continuously check it in case it it rises above 100 as I would need to seek medical help - it is not because I am obsessive.

Started P.E. diet around 1st April. After a couple of weeks resting heart rate started dropping into the 70s and then into the high 60s. Oxymeter must be broken. Bought new one. Both show identical readings. Resting heart rate now 65. So it does look as this is due to the PE diet. Really happy with this unexpected effect.
Could you summarise how your diet changed? More protein and less fat that some have mentioned seems a bit vague.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

that is just brilliant news. Delighted for you!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you summarise how your diet changed? More protein and less fat that some have mentioned seems a bit vague.
The most significant change to my diet was to eat a lot more animal protein with its fat. So now I will eat a whole Ribeye steak instead of only a third and give the rest to the Labradors (I must confess though that I do still give them some).

Because the fat should come with its protein - the other significant change I made is not to use butter and cream as meal substitutes. Neither contains much protein but because I haven't got a huge appetite it was an easy way to get enough calories and I do absolutely love cream. Butter is absolutely fine to cook with but I do now limit cream to 20ml a day instead of the rather large amount I was consuming.

Another significant change was adding casein and whey powder to my diet. I had do this because of my smallish appetite means I still struggle to eat enough protein. My protein intake has now risen from an average of 30g day to 90g a day.

Ted Naiman most definitely recommends low carb - so nothing has changed there. Non starchy veggies, nuts, seeds, berries and full fat dairy makes up the rest of my diet.

Hope what I have written makes sense.

Reactions: DJC3