1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

P:E dieting

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by bulkbiker, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

No decrease in waist measurement or weight for days, then this morning another half a pound lost and just over 3/4 inch from waist - which makes 2 inches lost around waist since beginning April.

Also had a very unusually high fbg this morning of 6.6. I wonder if I have lost some liver fat and it has triggered this very unusually high morning reading.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You approach things the same way I do, it took me months to eat high fat yogurt.

The science is there, over feeding protein studies result in better metrics. This is a sort of reference where Alan Aragan confirms more protein equates to better composition / metrics (he is a peer reviewed publisher who has worked with professional athletes):

Protein is scientically expensive to breakdown (thermic effect). Body builders use protein to obvious effect, so we have decades of practical visible knowledge also. This is not new, Protein Power was out in 1996, Eric Westman and Amy Berger say to priortise protein first.

Ted, does knock Keto and also does not give a free pass to the diets beginning with "V". I know this is about religiousity (consider his background at loma linda). His preferred foods are pasture raised eggs, shell fish, fish, grass fed beef, no seed oils, and low sugar fruit such as strawberries and avocado, this is definitely keto / carnivorous wholefoods which will produce ketones. He is consistent on these options on both his Instagram and Burn Fat Not Sugar website. I think Ted hates fat bombs, keto treats type keto.

I saw a recent interview where he said "keto" would be dead soon. I think that was ill advised, I would hope he as he said it is about the decline of internet searches.

Whilst he has a book, he has a practice where he takes pleasure in changing diabetic status, he really has earned his way to any remuneration he gets now. Equating fat and carbs as almost the same is context specific, I would like to see the evidence as he works within a context of net 100 grams of carbs; I don't agree with this for the majority.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Krystyna23040

That is very good to know.

4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. Krystyna23040

Thank you for posting this link. It is exactly what I.needed to read as I am still a little scared of upping my protein too more and had been wondering if the 120,g I ate yesterday was too much. Have bookmarked it to read again and also to read links it contains.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Krystyna23040

A quick update. Three and a half pound loss since beginning of April and it looks like all of it from around my waist. Almost 2 inches lost from.waist and blood sugar levels definitely lower. So it looks like a lot of good things happening with liver and pancreas.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Krystyna23040

Typo (or senior moment) this morning. Should have typed almost 3 inches lost from waist.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Another summary of P.E. Diet. Some good devils advocate questions from Bret Scher to Ted Naiman:

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Goonergal

Staff Member

Thanks. Just listening now. Very interesting.

11. Goonergal

Staff Member

@Krystyna23040 thats a stunning inch loss!

Did my monthly ‘MOT’ this morning as I was away from home the past few days.

While the scales are still barely budging (1.5kg down since 1 March), cms are coming off here - 3cms each from chest and waist and 5cm (had to double check that one) from the ‘muffin top’!

More than happy with that as I’ve really only tweaked what I’m eating, having ditched the chocolate and nut butter before this latest shift.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Krystyna23040

That is really good. The tweaking is really working.

I have also ditched the nut butters and chocolate as well as the vat loads of cream.

I strongly suspect my inch loss around my waist is from fat in and around my liver and pancreas because my blood sugars are definitely improving. This fat didn't all go away with low carb, low protein and very high fat but the signs are good that adding protein will sort it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So you are replacing fat with protein, reducing calories and losing weight. Why has nobody thought of that before?

• Like Like x 1
  14. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

@Goonergal and @Krystyna23040 brilliant and almost unbelievable results in such a short time.
    Just finished listening to the podcast @Mbaker kindly posted. Very good, with some interesting comments on CGMs at the end I thought. It really would be interesting to see triglycerides in real time too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Krystyna23040

Thank you for posting this. I found it really interesting and helpful.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook