P:E dieting

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started supplementing with whey protein yesterday. Fatsecret shows that my protein intake on a Friday is usually around 28g. Yesterday (with the whey protein) it was 97g.

Today on the early morning dog walk I had much more energy than I usually do. I know that it just may be a coincidence as it is only one day with a higher level of protein but it could be a sign that my body does need the higher level of protein.

I have been concerned at my low levels of protein consumption for several years and am so pleased that this thread has galvanised me into doing something about it - instead of worrying about it but doing absolutely nothing to rectify it.

my suggestion would be to monitor your blood glucose carefully as you introduce whey protein.
Your bgs may be excellent on it, but some people find that whey protein raises blood glucose.

fortunately, there are a variety of protein options for shakes. These include pea, hemp, egg, whey, and probably a few I have never heard of, so thereis an option for nearly everyone.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my suggestion would be to monitor your blood glucose carefully as you introduce whey protein.
Your bgs may be excellent on it, but some people find that whey protein raises blood glucose.

fortunately, there are a variety of protein options for shakes. These include pea, hemp, egg, whey, and probably a few I have never heard of, so thereis an option for nearly everyone.
Thank you, that's a very good point. Will make sure that I do check my after meal blood sugars when I do add whey protein.

I hadn't realised that there there were quite so many different types of protein powder available. Protein powder is so perfect for someone like me who really struggles with eating enough protein in their daily diet.

Reactions: Brunneria

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My results so far with a high protein low carb diet and exercise(13 months) . I have to do a 14 day quarantine when I get back to Singapore, I plan on doing a PSMF. See if I can lose more around the middle,

View attachment 48542
Absolutely inspirational! Thank you so much for posting!!!!!

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m wondering if it makes a difference whether I look at my PE ratio for the whole day - putting daily totals of protein, fat, carbs and fibre into the calculator. Or if it should be done with each individual food eaten?
Do you think it’ll average out if the daily total is good (>1) but I’ve eaten a couple of individual things with a lower ratio?
( may have eaten a low carb chocolate muffin PE ratio about 0.4!)
My results so far show weight loss of 1kg which is interesting as I’m not overweight and have stuck at 55kg for the last 2 yrs. BG are generally higher though; now hovering around 6s and occasional 7s rather than 5sand 6s. I’ll give it a couple more weeks to see how it pans out.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m wondering if it makes a difference whether I look at my PE ratio for the whole day - putting daily totals of protein, fat, carbs and fibre into the calculator. Or if it should be done with each individual food eaten?
Do you think it’ll average out if the daily total is good (>1) but I’ve eaten a couple of individual things with a lower ratio?

Yes. Pretty sure averages are fine - in the book he talks about the 80/20 thing, i.e stick to it 80% of the time and all will be good. I’m not being anal about it at all, just mindful to eat more of the higher PE things.

Interesting about your weight loss and blood sugars.

Reactions: jjraak and DJC3

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes. Pretty sure averages are fine - in the book he talks about the 80/20 thing, i.e stick to it 80% of the time and all will be good. I’m not being anal about it at all, just mindful to eat more of the higher PE things.

Interesting about your weight loss and blood sugars.
I think this is the general principal. It is another dietary approach to try. I am a firm believer in the 80 / 20 rule. Most of the experienced low carbers could produce a food / meal list that would "work" across the board, as an example for meat eaters beef I would say would fit into that category. For the 20% they might need more fat, more carbs, walking, no diary etc. It is impossible to have a one size fits all, but there is a "best" fits for the majority.

Sarcopenia is a real thing, said to happen around 30's to 40's and progressively worsens, this is mitigated by protein, with experts such as Gabrielle Lyons working directly with patients and seeing first hand what this does and how to resolve it - more protein.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that 4 days following this regime isn't long enough to reach any conclusions but my initial thoughts are that this is the perfect combination of food for me.

To my surprise I have been able to up my protein from real food and together with the casein and whey protein have increased protein intake threefold.

My brain is definitely working better and I have more energy and the food cravings have disappeared and I am losing weight while feeling very satiated. So a brilliant early result.

Reactions: DJC3 and Speedbird

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Started supplementing with whey protein yesterday. Fatsecret shows that my protein intake on a Friday is usually around 28g. Yesterday (with the whey protein) it was 97g.

Today on the early morning dog walk I had much more energy than I usually do. I know that it just may be a coincidence as it is only one day with a higher level of protein but it could be a sign that my body does need the higher level of protein.

I have been concerned at my low levels of protein consumption for several years and am so pleased that this thread has galvanised me into doing something about it - instead of worrying about it but doing absolutely nothing to rectify it.
Be careful with the whey. For anyone taking this, watch your IR. If you have a bio impedence scale, watch in particular your fat mass. Where possible get the protein from something you can chew.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful with the whey. For anyone taking this, watch your IR. If you have a bio impedence scale, watch in particular your fat mass. Where possible get the protein from something you can chew.
Thank you for this information. I am definitely trying to up my consumption of protein you have to chew.

Unfortunately, as I have got older my appetite has got much smaller and it is really hard now to eat enough of the stuff that you have to chew to get the protein I need - which is why whey and casien protein powder has been invaluable. I will look at other protein powders but at the moment I have 2kg of these to get through.

Have taken the fast acting whey after strenuous exercise (between 10 and 15g a day) and the slower acting casien (30 to 35g a day) spread out through the day to avoid blood sugar spikes.

Have obsessively checked blood sugars since I started last Friday (which makes this my 6th day not my 4th as I wrote in my post) and blood sugars are running lower than they do normally - which hopefully means that it isn't making IR worse.

I must admit that I haven't managed 1g of protein for every 1lb of ideal body weight but previously my intake was between 28g and 48g a day and now it is between 95g and 100g a day.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, as I have got older my appetite has got much smaller and it is really hard now to eat enough of the stuff that you have to chew to get the protein I need -

You’re welcome to some of my appetite, which could do with reducing! Seriously, sounds very positive.

I had an unexpected HbA1c thrown in with some bloods for another investigation and it had gone down a point since early Feb, so the high protein is suiting me.

Reactions: Speedbird

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re welcome to some of my appetite, which could do with reducing! Seriously, sounds very positive.

I had an unexpected HbA1c thrown in with some bloods for another investigation and it had gone down a point since early Feb, so the high protein is suiting me.
I would be really happy if you could forward me some of your appetite. It will be gratefully received. Interestingly appetite is a bit better with cream drastically cut and very strangely my nut butter cravings have completely disappeared.

Good news that your HbA1c is lower. I am quite optimistic that I will also see a drop in my HbA1c. I am very optimistic that the high protein will improve my health significantly and am so pleased you posted this link on the fasting blood sugar and full on chat thread.

Reactions: jjraak

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for this information. I am definitely trying to up my consumption of protein you have to chew.

Unfortunately, as I have got older my appetite has got much smaller and it is really hard now to eat enough of the stuff that you have to chew to get the protein I need - which is why whey and casien protein powder has been invaluable. I will look at other protein powders but at the moment I have 2kg of these to get through.

Have taken the fast acting whey after strenuous exercise (between 10 and 15g a day) and the slower acting casien (30 to 35g a day) spread out through the day to avoid blood sugar spikes.

Have obsessively checked blood sugars since I started last Friday (which makes this my 6th day not my 4th as I wrote in my post) and blood sugars are running lower than they do normally - which hopefully means that it isn't making IR worse.

I must admit that I haven't managed 1g of protein for every 1lb of ideal body weight but previously my intake was between 28g and 48g a day and now it is between 95g and 100g a day.
This is great. Where I was so dialed into my diet I knew it was one of 2 things which altered my fat levels. Both Gabriel Lyons and Ted Naimen appear to be OK with whey, and they are the experts, so my experience / advice was based on my anecdote and a previous video that showed in another 1 of 1 direct trial food vs whey, produced a better response for the food in a young male. Both circumstances were males. I also remember an interview with an England rugby international who send they preference food first and then a protein shake if they don't meet the target protein.

So as the experts are fine with whey, the tests were not for women and whey has been used for years, it seems that it is a test and see the results, which you have done with good results - seems better to get the protein in than not at all.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is great. Where I was so dialed into my diet I knew it was one of 2 things which altered my fat levels. Both Gabriel Lyons and Ted Naimen appear to be OK with whey, and they are the experts, so my experience / advice was based on my anecdote and a previous video that showed in another 1 of 1 direct trial food vs whey, produced a better response for the food in a young male. Both circumstances were males. I also remember an interview with an England rugby international who send they preference food first and then a protein shake if they don't meet the target protein.

So as the experts are fine with whey, the tests were not for women and whey has been used for years, it seems that it is a test and see the results, which you have done with good results - seems better to get the protein in than not at all.
I must admit that I really resisted going down the protein powder route but had to give in once I read about the P.E. diet and had to work out a way to get adequate protein.

I am also at the moment questioning my belief that I cannot eat enough protein through food. Is it really true or is it similar to the belief I used to have that there was no way I could give up potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar, bread etc. etc. and it is not actually true.

I am definitely making progress there - using the same 'brainwashing ' techniques I used to ditch the carbs. I am making progress and actually ate a 228g Ribeye steak on Saturday. Normally I can only manage 60g.

I still think that the protein powder will be a necessary top up for the time being - but good to know the experts say it is OK.

Reactions: DJC3 and Mbaker

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe Ted Naiman is working for them 1 day a week - officially, on the payroll: https://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-ted-naiman-to-help-hone-higher-protein-options-for-better-weight-loss
Very interesting link. The more I read about P.E the more I think that it is perfect for me.

I had been treating double cream as a 'free food' over lockdown and to my horror have only just realised that I have gained over 3 inches around my waist.

This quote in the article made me feel quite optimistic that I can now relatively easily rectify it.

'Dr. Eenfeldt was surprised when he, too, dropped more pounds, reduced his waist size and his body fat percentage, while increasing his lean muscle mass and strength'

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It has started already - stepped on.scales this morning and have lost 2lb. Really good going for me as my weight has steadily risen over these last few months.

The only changes made to diet has been adding loads more protein and cutting double cream to 20ml a day. Carbs have stayed the same - between 16 and 20g.

Haven't felt hungry at all. Have just discovered that I love hard boiled eggs on their own, still warm and sprinkled with Celtic sea salt. A really easy way for me to add protein.

Reactions: Larissima and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 I’m enjoying it too. Very little movement on the scales for me, but I’ve lost a few cms from my waist and hips - that’s what I’m focusing on rather than weight.

I’m just using cream in one or two cups of tea a day, rather than consuming vats of it. Just need to cut out the Nando’s nuts that keep creeping in now!