Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, great news that you're home @urbanracer, hope the recovery's still going well. Congrats on being fully jabbed & getting a good eye test @karen8967, and sorry to hear that your ribs aren't doing so well @Marie 2, especially with a complaining dog to deal with. Mine's 2 in June and still hasn't been in season - or if she has, she kept it a secret! One of her litter mates hasn't either. I'll talk to my vet about the way forward as I sure as heck don't want her having puppies, especially as she's one of ten! Besides, if I'm not planning to mate her the only way that'd happen is by accident, so who knows who she might get over-friendly with! I could create another designer mongrel...:hilarious:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all, great news that you're home @urbanracer, hope the recovery's still going well. Congrats on being fully jabbed & getting a good eye test @karen8967, and sorry to hear that your ribs aren't doing so well @Marie 2, especially with a complaining dog to deal with. Mine's 2 in June and still hasn't been in season - or if she has, she kept it a secret! One of her litter mates hasn't either. I'll talk to my vet about the way forward as I sure as heck don't want her having puppies, especially as she's one of ten! Besides, if I'm not planning to mate her the only way that'd happen is by accident, so who knows who she might get over-friendly with! I could create another designer mongrel...:hilarious:
I like mongrels, had a couple of them and they were lovely, but the possibility of ten of them’s definitely daunting!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Bit of a shock today, went to the GP's practice nurse for help with a dressing change and the nurse did not like the look of my thumb so she sent me to the hospital. Got arm in a sling now and reduced to left handed typing only. Back to the hospital on Sunday for another dressing change and then I see the orthopedics consultant on Tuesday.
Actually had consultants from 3 departments arguing about my care plan with the A+E and Urgent Care guys telling the Orthopedics man that he was being too dismissive of my situation.
What a day!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@urbanracer I am so sorry to hear that.I had hoped you were on your way to a perfect thumb soon! I hope it goes better at your next visit.

Welcome @Hannah Robyn !!! I believe you are a vegan too?

My ribs are at least better from yesterday. I can breath without pain as long as it's not deep breathes and I don't laugh! I did my full 10 miles on my exercise bike without any issues. But I see the doctor today to evaluate my ribs.

River is not complaining and doing better, although not frisky, but that is for the best because she has to heal up too now!!!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of a shock today, went to the GP's practice nurse for help with a dressing change and the nurse did not like the look of my thumb so she sent me to the hospital. Got arm in a sling now and reduced to left handed typing only. Back to the hospital on Sunday for another dressing change and then I see the orthopedics consultant on Tuesday.
Actually had consultants from 3 departments arguing about my care plan with the A+E and Urgent Care guys telling the Orthopedics man that he was being too dismissive of my situation.
What a day!
Whoa not good! Fingers crossed things improve from here on in.

Hannah Robyn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@urbanracer I am so sorry to hear that.I had hoped you were on your way to a perfect thumb soon! I hope it goes better at your next visit.

Welcome @Hannah Robyn !!! I believe you are a vegan too?

My ribs are at least better from yesterday. I can breath without pain as long as it's not deep breathes and I don't laugh! I did my full 10 miles on my exercise bike without any issues. But I see the doctor today to evaluate my ribs.

River is not complaining and doing better, although not frisky, but that is for the best because she has to heal up too now!!!

yes, I am a recent vegan! i don't do low carb or low fat, just eat pretty much normally as a vegan. Lots of fruit, veg, beans, grains, nuts, mock meats, soy yogurt, dark chocolate, pretty much a bit of everything. Beans and grains are cheapest and convenient though!

hit me up with some recipes if you have any good ones. i'm a sucker for tofu or lentils

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Hannah Robyn I don't low carb either. I eat whatever I want as long as it's strictly vegan!!!!

One of my favorite sites is "It doesn't taste like chicken" It is free to sign up and she will send you recipes by e-mail, but she has a ton of recipes you can access on her site. Most of all her recipes have pretty simple ingredients and easy to find items. A couple of my favorites I do all the time are the

Baked tofu bites, they disappear before they ever make it into a dish
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/baked-tofu-bites/

Ranch Dressing
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/16-vegan-salad-dressings/

Main page
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/about/

But I also posted a ton of vegan/vegetarian sites here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ites-normal-and-low-carb.174751/#post-2269899

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a day!

Hi Urb,

OK? That's a bit of a shocker.

Here's wishing you well for some better results in the coming days..

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from Line of Duty, the story everyone is following is @urbanracer thumb. So so sorry that it is causing you so many issues and worries. Hope that the medical teams involved stop arguing and come up with a suitable plan. Good the practice nurse was on the ball. Sending best wishes.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
What a day!
That’s not good! Have the docs given you more antibiotics too? Shame they had to argue rather than discuss, hope your thumb doesn’t become a battle ground for medics as well as bacteria and your immune system. Better start writing a left handed thriller.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother , just to keep you updated. My Bubble hasn't arrived yet. (The armband thing from another supplier, has..)

But I did get an email from Bubble saying they printed the shipping address label... :hilarious:

I kid you not.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But I did get an email from Bubble saying they printed the shipping address label... :hilarious:
Let's hope you'll get a second email within the week to let you know they put the label on the box now!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I kid you not, I had a company once e-mail me about 10 times before an item was shipped. Item was manufactured, item was painted, item was packed, did I want another one. item label printed, item being processed,etc etc. I was starting to really doubt dealing with the company and wondering if it would actually ever get shipped. It did come, it was very nice, but I immediately took myself off their mailing list!

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The other way around happens as well. I wanted to order a book from a small company in the UK who weren't used to shipping internationally.
After a bit of very friendly mail conversation they promptly shipped me the book, but it took me months of sending them emails before they figured out a way a way to let me pay for the book :hilarious:.

Very interesting book it was too, on the history of diabetes :)
They didn't mention the title correctly in their emails because some email services automatically dumped their mail in junk mail because of it, so they referred to it as "The Piffing Evil". Apparently, the author insisted on this title, as a reference to 17th century physicians.
For whoever is interested but doesn't want to buy the book, an earlier and shorter version is available online for free under the title of 'Diabetes: The Biography' by Robert Tattersall. Worth a read!

Reactions: karen8967