Mastering diabetes

Condorhulse

Has anyone tried this version to bring blood sugars down and your a1c?

It is a high carb low fat diet

When I first started to testing my blood I was reading between 15 mmol to 19 mmol and have been on this diet for just over 1 month now and my readings are now between 5 and 8 mmol daily morning and after food.

It is a whole food plant based diet accompanied with daily exercise.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this method and what there results are like and if they have any good tips ?

Reactions: Ukgal

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Most of the folk on here use LCHF to control their diabetes if T2, and insulin if they are T1. Have you got a definite diagnosis as to diabetic type yet?

It will be interesting to hear from someone using the whole food plant based diet though you may have to have a somewhat thick skin as it isn't a popular diet among some members.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When I first started to testing my blood I was reading between 15 mmol to 19 mmol and have been on this diet for just over 1 month now and my readings are now between 5 and 8 mmol daily morning and after food.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this method and what there results are like and if they have any good tips ?

glad it is working for you :)

did you end up with a diagnosis of T1 or T2?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Condorhulse could you please share example meals and what exercise.

Beating-My-Betes

Nice one! Great results!

Been shopping today to buy food to start an experiment with the 'Eatwell' guide, starting tomorrow. As I will be doing it vegan it'll very much align with the MD recommendations. The only difference being some things I've bought, in an effort to follow as close to the plan as I can, wouldn't make it onto Cyrus' and Robby's lists.

How have you found the programme? Were you plant-based already?

Condorhulse

glad it is working for you :)

did you end up with a diagnosis of T1 or T2?

I am still waiting on a diagnosis to be honest all this has happened really quick been waiting for around 2 weeks for my bloods for a diagnosis. It is getting quite frustrating

Condorhulse

Most of the folk on here use LCHF to control their diabetes if T2, and insulin if they are T1. Have you got a definite diagnosis as to diabetic type yet?

It will be interesting to hear from someone using the whole food plant based diet though you may have to have a somewhat thick skin as it isn't a popular diet among some members.

Last year I was smoking my own brisket steaks and all sort in my back garden and I do miss it but from what limited research I have done I thought I would give it a go. But yes I have very thick skin haha

Reactions: EllieM

Condorhulse

Nice one! Great results!

Been shopping today to buy food to start an experiment with the 'Eatwell' guide, starting tomorrow. As I will be doing it vegan it'll very much align with the MD recommendations. The only difference being some things I've bought, in an effort to follow as close to the plan as I can, wouldn't make it onto Cyrus' and Robby's lists.

How have you found the programme? Were you plant-based already?

Honestly I haven’t stuck to it religiously as I work away a lot and found it hard to come up with ideas but I am getting more creative and having fun challenging myself with it. No I wasn’t plant based before but I did make changes a couple of years ago coming off diary and having animal based products 4 days a week slowly trying to change but this has give me a kick start I really needed to look after myself .

Condorhulse

Hi @Condorhulse could you please share example meals and what exercise.

No problem
IMG_1620219477.212309.jpg
IMG_1620219491.270690.jpg
IMG_1620219526.960043.jpg
IMG_1620219542.957219.jpg
IMG_1620219560.328483.jpg

I do 30min indoor cardio including some weights every morning and around a 2-4 mile run/ walk at night

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Capsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Condorhulse
Please can you share the details of your diet

Beating-My-Betes

Honestly I haven’t stuck to it religiously as I work away a lot and found it hard to come up with ideas but I am getting more creative and having fun challenging myself with it. No I wasn’t plant based before but I did make changes a couple of years ago coming off diary and having animal based products 4 days a week slowly trying to change but this has give me a kick start I really needed to look after myself .

Yeah, I guess it could need a little forethought if you're on the road. Ultimately, within the context of their plan, keeping things low-fat is a good starting-point, but while it's pretty easy if you have good supermarkets nearby, it does cut out a lot of dining-out possibilities. Perhaps being on top of two out of three meals is enough to coast on those numbers, especially if you remain active etc. and then really dial things in when you are more in control.

I do think that the MD program is a little self-limiting, in it's total exclusion of animal foods. I'm the last person who wants to be encouraging such things, but I believe it's the only way of reaching a much wider audience and keeping them on-board for a longer period of time.

Condorhulse

P.S. Your food looks lovely.

I do understand what you mean about the supermarkets but I mostly get all my stuff from Aldi Sainsbury’s or lidl the chia I have on my breakfast is from Amazon and lasts me a month. It isn’t the easiest of transitions and I still get meat cravings especially coming upto summer but my partner has been vegetarian for the past 3 years so I have learned a lot from that and had help as I say it is a difficult change.

Condorhulse

Well done Condorhulse
Please can you share the details of your diet

No problem

Breakfast

Bowl of fruit and 1 or 2 tbsp of chia
Black coffee
1tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed with a pint of water

Lunch

Mixed salad / bulgar wheat with roasted veg / spiced tofu with salad

Evening meals

Chilli minted bean and pea mix with bulgar wheat / pea protein pasta with homemade pesto and loads of other things

Snacking is mostly fruit

I try to stay away from oils aswell it’s hard but is so able

Beating-My-Betes

I do understand what you mean about the supermarkets but I mostly get all my stuff from Aldi Sainsbury’s or lidl the chia I have on my breakfast is from Amazon and lasts me a month. It isn’t the easiest of transitions and I still get meat cravings especially coming upto summer but my partner has been vegetarian for the past 3 years so I have learned a lot from that and had help as I say it is a difficult change.

It can definitely be a difficult transition, especially if you're going straight into the whole-foods style. And not that I want to encourage junk-foodism, but sometimes it can be useful to release the valve and have something a little off-piste. There are a lot of substitutes out there, and they are getting better. You might find that all that's needed is something really oily and salty to sate the odd craving or to just 'act out'.

Cravings are gonna happen. We are hard-wired for life experiences to be remembered and to drive us towards repetition. The more positive emotions that are tied to these actions (Xmas dinner; Friday-night Fish 'n' chips. The after-pub kebab), added to the length of time we've been doing them, the more deeply these habitual patterns can run. But unless you are really deficient then they are but ghosts from the past. And just like ghosts, they disappear when you shine the light on them. The more you ignore them, the less hold they can have over you :)

From supermarkets, canned/jarred beans/legumes are always a good option. Add some ready-made salad and a hunk of bread. For overnight oats, you just need a container with a lid. Add the oats and water. Then in the morning add fruit, berries, seeds, chia etc. And raisins are a life-saver. Anyway, heres some 'on-the-road' eating inspiration for ya (circa 5-minute mark). Running across the USA and just gettin' it done:

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration :)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thats a great result in a short time. What type of diabetes do you have, and what meds are you on for diabetes?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
No problem View attachment 49246View attachment 49247View attachment 49248View attachment 49249View attachment 49250

I do 30min indoor cardio including some weights every morning and around a 2-4 mile run/ walk at night
Thanks for the response. I can see that the meals are small to medium size in volume, for my type of intake. I would have to eat the first 2 plates as a single meal and then some sort of dessert. The meals do look clean and fuss free, so probably quick to put together.

For some time there has been questions on this platform as to what results can be obtained from a higher carbohydrate diabetes protocol.

It would be of great interest to many if you are able to occasionally show pre-meal blood glucose and then 30 mins, 1 and possibly 2 hours after, especially on the last meal with bananas. Personally I am results driven, so it would be interesting to see what the combination of your age, diet and WFPB can achieve, especially if you can hopefully get to remission.

Apologies for the semi-forensics but your case provides an opportunity to see what is possible.

Condorhulse

Thanks for the response. I can see that the meals are small to medium size in volume, for my type of intake. I would have to eat the first 2 plates as a single meal and then some sort of dessert. The meals do look clean and fuss free, so probably quick to put together.

For some time there has been questions on this platform as to what results can be obtained from a higher carbohydrate diabetes protocol.

It would be of great interest to many if you are able to occasionally show pre-meal blood glucose and then 30 mins, 1 and possibly 2 hours after, especially on the last meal with bananas. Personally I am results driven, so it would be interesting to see what the combination of your age, diet and WFPB can achieve, especially if you can hopefully get to remission.

Apologies for the semi-forensics but your case provides an opportunity to see what is possible.

So just did a quick one before food my mmol was 5.4 Went up to 7 mmol one hour after food then currently 5.9 two hours after food

My evening meal was vegan pea noodles, mushroom and onions with garlic and chilli and it was a pasta bowl full so was quite a large portion
IMG_1620241852.879165.jpg

krsgr

Hi Condorhulse, I am following the Whole food plate based diet too to control my type 2 diabetes. I was thinking of joining the Mastering Diabetes coaching plan, but at over 700 dollars I thought I would try and get more info from this forum first. I did not realise how many on here used the keto diet to control there diabetes.
Reading this forum is something of an eye opener. When I was first told I had type 2 I had an hba1c of 9. But reading this site I have seen A1c quoted of 114 and nightly trips to the bathroom of 50 or 60 times.
Anyway I would be pleased to hear how you are doing. I will now try and find other members who are wfpb.

Reactions: Speedbird