What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ll have to start random weight testing.
Do you?
If you are trying to lose weight, it makes sense, but if not, why would you want to know exactly how much you are eating?
(Checked your profile to find clues and am now tempted to edit my previous sentence to start with 'So' :D)

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you?
If you are trying to lose weight, it makes sense, but if not, why would you want to know exactly how much you are eating?
(Checked your profile to find clues and am now tempted to edit my previous sentence to start with 'So' :D)

Lol I’d completely forgotten I’d written that, thanks for the laugh.
You’re right, perhaps I won’t worry about the bacon but I should prob check the veg. My BG often creeps up.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Usual Saturday morning boot camp Hiit workout followed by bacon butty in SLC roll. Decided to weigh the bacon rashers before cooking to see whether my guesstimate is near enough - no! I’ve been assuming 3 rashers weigh about 75g but they were 170g I should maybe look at portion size more often.
Lunch half a pack of Parma ham as a snack
Dinner Parmesan crusted haddock and celeriac chips, both airfried and wonderful. Steamed brocolli with it and a lump of cheddar with a couple of glasses wine afterwards.
@Annb thanks for posting your cabbage roll experiment. I’m keen to try with maybe some very spicy mix after your comments about blandness. Definitely worth coming back to.

The pork mixture was quite good baked - it was the steaming process that made it more bland. It would have been better with some fairly strong herbs, some spices, or a good sausage meat. Perhaps with some stronger cheese as well. Might also be better baked - but then the cling film wouldn't be able to be used and so it would be parcels instead of balls - not so much of a sacrifice.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Onlinecaroline & @Annb - I do hope you are feeling better. @PenguinMum - best of luck on Tuesday. As they said to me at the drive through, there is no rhyme nor reason to how or why there is these different reactions between people and doses. I've just found out though that the Drive Through centre I was at "accidentally" gave attendees last Saturday a double dose of the Pfizer vaccine. No reports of it doing any harm though.
Thursday bed 6.6 FBG 8.1 - no idea why. It's not food so I wonder if there is something in what you wondered @DJC3 that the vaccine does temporarily affect BG readings?

B. TAG and joy! Plenty SLC bread available so I had a sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - between voting, home schooling, getting boys dinner organised and the engineer back about my mysterious fridge/freezer issues there was no time.
D. Boys request - mince with carrot, onion, broccoli , peas. They had mash with theirs, I had a broccoli/cauliflower souffle thing.

Friday bed 5.2 FBG 6.5 - I noticed yesterday that my BGs hit 12 a one point. No obvious reason for it but they stabilised again today.

B. TAG and slice of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Nothing - 1/2 day at school but I had to collect elder grandson a little early as he had a sore tummy. Not anxiety this time as he's been great this week. Turns out he was hungry so got him back to have something to eat before taking him home.
D. Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and in a spicy sauce with a mix of beans. Did a cauliflower rice with it. I made the sauce too "tomato-y" so left half of it. Grenade Ice cream bar to rid me of the taste of the chicken dish! That's my excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annb and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday bed 6.8 FBG 6.1 - Up early again as boys at Jujitsu. Another horrid day weather wise too. Glad to say eldest participated this week, made a friend and admitted it was fun! Another step forward.

B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing.
D. One of Iceland's wild shrimp things with cauli rice, 2 sliced mushrooms and 4 santini tomatoes added. I also had another broccoli/cauliflower souffle thing as I'm trying to reduce what's in the freezer.

Freezer is still acting up and the faults coming up on the diagnostics could be one or more of 4 things so the engineer is replacing all 4 parts. Ordered now so just have to get through another week with a temperamental freezer. Will be getting the cool boxes/bags ready for replacement day! Thank goodness for appliance repair contracts.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Onlinecaroline & @Annb - I do hope you are feeling better. @PenguinMum - best of luck on Tuesday. As they said to me at the drive through, there is no rhyme nor reason to how or why there is these different reactions between people and doses. I've just found out though that the Drive Through centre I was at "accidentally" gave attendees last Saturday a double dose of the Pfizer vaccine. No reports of it doing any harm though.
Thursday bed 6.6 FBG 8.1 - no idea why. It's not food so I wonder if there is something in what you wondered @DJC3 that the vaccine does temporarily affect BG readings?

B. TAG and joy! Plenty SLC bread available so I had a sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - between voting, home schooling, getting boys dinner organised and the engineer back about my mysterious fridge/freezer issues there was no time.
D. Boys request - mince with carrot, onion, broccoli , peas. They had mash with theirs, I had a broccoli/cauliflower souffle thing.

Friday bed 5.2 FBG 6.5 - I noticed yesterday that my BGs hit 12 a one point. No obvious reason for it but they stabilised again today.

B. TAG and slice of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Nothing - 1/2 day at school but I had to collect elder grandson a little early as he had a sore tummy. Not anxiety this time as he's been great this week. Turns out he was hungry so got him back to have something to eat before taking him home.
D. Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and in a spicy sauce with a mix of beans. Did a cauliflower rice with it. I made the sauce too "tomato-y" so left half of it. Grenade Ice cream bar to rid me of the taste of the chicken dish! That's my excuse.
Thanks @maglil55. How on earth could the double dose happen, I though they just loaded a dose to a syringe!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @maglil55. How on earth could the double dose happen, I though they just loaded a dose to a syringe!

Yes - that's what I thought. As long as they put it right, it's not so bad - lessons learned and all that. But someone's wrist should have been slapped (at least).

This morning I had a very early start (3.15) but instead of taking pain killers and slumping in the big chair, I did what Antje suggested; I took something small to eat (a small bowl of yoghurt) and about half my normal dose of insulin. That seems to have kept BG down to below 10 and mostly around 7 so far today. The Libre is helping me understand what is happening.

So breakfast was dry fried bacon, eggs and one of my cabbage meatballs cut in half. However, that was quite early so may not manage 2MAD today. Hopeful though.

Still not feeling great but I must force myself to make something veggie to eat later.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not that simple with Pfizer. That's the one that has to be kept frozen and thawed and diluted before use. They admitted it was a dilution error. Apparently, the only problems they claim is more severe side effects although there were some care workers in Germany who were given a whole vial who had to be hospitalised for a short time.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ve had a bit of a slip up the past 2 days. Multiple family birthdays and children meant I baked, real baking with flour and sugar. I only did biscuits but forgot this particular recipe made lots, so of course I sampled some when making them yesterday, ate a couple for breakfast this morning and 'one for the road' as we left to deliver them !!!

I knew I was doing wrong and carried on doing it anyway :banghead:

Actual meals have been light and low carb, chicken drumsticks, salad, ff greek, baked aubergine etc but the temptation to keep going back for more biscuits was so strong.

They've all been given away now and hubby and boy nobly finished off that last few this lunchtime.

I've had a migraine last evening and eyes don't feel right today. Whether thats sugar or the close work I've been doing on the pc I don't know. I just want to know why I could see myself heading down the sugary slope and still couldn't stop myself.

Back on lc wagon now, slow cook roast lamb tonight with roast cauliflower and broccoli.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished for today hopefully.
Breakfast after a drizzly dog walk was smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and 1/2 avocado.
Put ‘roast’ in sous vide and went for an open water swim in the sea at lunchtime. Checked Libre before but it wouldn’t record after: Error message said ‘sensor too cold’ I’ve not seen that before but I can believe it! It was v chilly.
Dinner was worth waiting for - topside of beef (1.6kg joint 9hrs at 56C for anyone interested ) cauli cheese, buttered cabbage and a lc Yorkie. Some red wine.
Paul had lit a fire while we were out so I’m feeling toasty and happy now.
@maglil55 hugs for the post vax high bg levels, I think it’s just our body getting ready to fight it.
@MrsA2 hugs also for the migraine, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was the carbs. I know @Goonergal suffered badly from them before she cut the carbs.

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again. Thanks @maglil55 for clarifying about the Pfizer vaccine being diluted, I knew it needed to be defrosted but didnt know about dilution. Sometimes I think I live under a stone!
Yesterday usual brekkie og slice of HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea, same today.
Lunch yesterday was a cold plate of salad and cold meat, tiny bit of cheese.
Supper was t/a Tandoori King Prawn and cauli bjajee and one popadom.
Today lunch was the same. Have prepped supper which will be Fajitas. I will have thechicken, veg & spoon of soured cream, guacamole and salsa with a small side salad. Mr PM will have wraps though not back from golf until 7pm but it doesn't take long to cook. as I type enjoying agin & soda.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, broccoli, Brussels and carrots with gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday (May 9th)

Breakfast: 0% Greek yogurt with blueberries, black coffee
Lunch (Late, 3pm): Ate from the food court at Costco after shopping - 10 dry chicken wings with a Diet Pepsi
Afternoon: Black coffee
Dinner (Late, 9pm): 4 pork ribs from Costco deli/rotisserie - dry rub, no sauce
Snack - 1/4 cup peanuts (in hindsight, I should have eaten another 2 ribs)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
So yesterday’s supper was Chicken & stirfried veg fajitas sans wraps for me but plus spoon of soured cream, guacamole and salsa.
Usual brekkie slice HiLo toast and lots of tea. Cant drink it black but only a tiny drizzle of milk. Lunch was four thin slices roast beef with mere smear of Horseradish sauce. 2 cherry tomatoes, cucumber and small dessertsp Of coleslaw.
Supper will be chilli meatballs with spag for Mr PM and broccoli rice for me.
Have made tomo supper today which is h/m chicken curry. Rotating dates of stuff in fridge. We are having second Pfizer jab tomo so if feeling tired after it will be handy to have something to just heat up. My SIL had 5 days off work (unheard of for her) after second Pfizer but my friend had nothing worse than going to bed early that evening. It made me wonder if folk are having bad reactions if it isnt diluted properly as @maglil55 mentioned. It makes you wonder.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 12.5
Small dose insulin and a banana
BG dropped to 9.5
Breakfast: Insulin, sausages, bacon and eggs (2 of each)
BG dropped to 6.8, then 4.3! (Libre alarm)
2 boiled sweets
BG up to 9.5 (should just have had one)
Lunch: Insulin, meatballs in veg stew
BG after 13/4 hours 7.3
I will have something else later - already feeling hungry so there's no way I'll last out until tomorrow. But it will only be something of a snack - maybe some yoghurt and a few berries.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: beef burgers with cheese and leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.