Every Day Carry

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
As a newly diagnosed T2, I was wondering what kind of things you keep with you when going out.
I don't mean as away for several days, that's a different question but if you are out and about.
Can be as sensible, daft or random as you like.
I came up with:
- Some form of glucose in case of dip.
- A couple of plasters
- Alcohol wipe in case of a cut
- Small tube of antiseptic

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This isn’t necessary for a diet controlled type 2. If you get hungry you’d be far better off either bringing your next meal forward or having a low carb snack. So a pack of nuts, for example, would be a better alternative.

The other items don’t seem to be diabetes specific. I do a lot of walking so tend to carry blister plasters and so on, although they’re so rarely used I question why! Aside from that, it’s activity / weather focused and I try to minimise what needs to come with me.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
A diabetes foundation ✻membership card✻

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a diet controlled T2 for over 7 years and have never carried anything specific to my diabetes. I take alcohol wipes and alcohol gel for Covid protection, but that is all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a newly diagnosed T2, I was wondering what kind of things you keep with you when going out.
I don't mean as away for several days, that's a different question but if you are out and about.
I came up with:
- A couple of plasters
According to your profile you're diet only. I don't know if that's still accurate, but then you shouldn't have to worry about lows. As a newly diagnosed diabetic, who tested around meals, I loved my Myabetic purse as it held my meter when I was out and about, and it still looked stylish. They also have man-bags, just so you know. ;) (I was on Gliclazide for a while which can cause hypo's, so I did carry sugar tablets in there as well. So it contained my meter, wipes, lancets, strips, a spare battery for the meter, and DextroEnergy, besides my phone and wallet) These days I don't carry my meter everywhere anymore, I have the luxury that I get to just wing it, but I do usually have some Bifi sausages in the car or in my purse when I'm on a day out and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to eat in whatever restaurant is available. I go to a lot of zoo's and the like, (well, I did before Corona, and I plan to again) and while some have excellent restaurants, some only offer chips and Dutch snackfood that's "meat", except they're filled with carby fillers and sugar and an absolute no-go for me. So I keep something at hand, should I feel peckish after walking a long time with my camera gear.

Dunno if that helps at all, but that's the best I've got on offer.
Good luck,
Jo

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just take my wallet, that seems to cope with most situations.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I take the wife, her handbag contains something for every eventuality.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the information. I was going to ask something simular as i am off to monkey world next week and it will be my first day out as a diabetic. Got my food planned out and will take some salted nuts for a little carb boost just incase :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I see your logic, and it's good to be prepared- you probably don't need anything too diabetes specific; the alcohol wipes sound like a good idea in any case. My dad (also T2 but on a ton of meds for both diabetes and leukaemia) carries the little dextrose sport candy tablets for his hypos- but he can have multiple hypos in a day. You probably don't need them to be honest.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a bit "anal" my handbag has 1 purse with all my meds in (enough to last several day) painkillers, anti spasmodics (ibs) hayfever tablets & eye drops, plasters indigestions tablet. My BG testing meter My "magic bag" containing weird and wonderful things like mini nail clippers, tweezers, a tampon, hairbands, emergency sewing kit, a pencil, a wet wipe, mini bar of soap, a tee-pee, (you get the idea), and no I was never a Scout, they didn't let girls in when I was young enough!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I came up with:
- A couple of plasters

every day carry changes depending on treatment. diet or metformin or similar treatment you don't need to carry anything extra

if on insulin or medication that increases insulin release then you may need a fair bit.. again this is individual.. i need to carry more as i use a pump.. but when in insulin injections i carried.. test meter, lancet, strips, insulin pen and glucose tablets

Reactions: gillytee31

If_only

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thought of vegetables day after day after day for all eternity
wow, some great ideas and thoughts. I am still feeling my way through this and I guess over time it will make more sense to me.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 1 but I always wear a wristband stating I have diabetes and use a pump, and then I have things for hypos and my libre reader and/or blood tester. If I'm out all day I'll have other stuff like ketone test strips, spare batteries, alcohol wipes, spare cannula.
I have a lot of other stuff too, but not diabetes-related :D

Reactions: EllieM

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Phone and Wallet

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phone and Wallet
Same here, it's got most things in them. My bgl meter goes in if I am working and couple of face masks all fit in pockets of my work clothes.

Edit: Almost forgot my small 50 mg bottle of hand sanitiser.

Johmiuc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and ultradad

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I came up with:
- A couple of plasters
Keys, cards, cash, CRKT.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a type 2 with diet and metformin. I take my meter pretty much everywhere I go- not for walks but if I'm going out. I still test regularly though probably not necessary- it keeps me focused.

Other than that-nothing diabetic related- phone, e-reader, water etc. No bandaids for me- allergic

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’m becoming a minimalist, got a new tiny wallet, enough for my ID, credit card, and a house key. I have a wearable transportation card that fits on my Apple Watch band. My phone and my earbuds. I wear swimming trunks, a Tie-dyed shirt and flip flops 365.

when I’m in testing mode, I wear a libre sensor.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I always have a snack pack of nuts and seeds just in case when out and about but almost never need them. I do a lot of walking so water, Compeed blister plasters, lip salve, Factor 50 sunblock, card, mask, hand santizer. And I am the backpack that others rely on!
Having said that I forgot to put on the sunblock before climbing a 'mountain' in Wales a couple of days ago and now have a sunburned face!

Reactions: LaoDan