What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I made Cullen Skink, after all but when it came to it - after my weekly call to my brother, I was feeling nauseous so gave the 2nd meal a bye. Lots of fishy soup left for tomorrow. Will also be making chicken and leek soup (won't give it the proper name - it'd be unacceptable to this site). That will still not use up all the veg, so will have to make some other dish of some sort - butternut and veg hash maybe? I can see some squashing stuff into the freezer coming up.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dinner a cold chicken thigh and 20g cheese and 5 olives.
Your 20 grams of weighed cheese and the counted out 5 olives made me laugh reading right after your description of yesterdays take-away! :hilarious:
Making my way through coffee mousse made from marscapone with coffee, cream and a teaspoon stevia. Very rich so getting at least 6 portions from one 250g tub of marscapone.
How do you make that mousse? It sounds delicious, and I guess I can simply leave out the stevia or replace by a very small amount of sugar without it being a lot of carbs! :hungry:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese and tomato omelette, bacon and sausage for breakfast.
Cuppa hearty beef soup, cheese and tomato, kimchi in a low carb wraps for lunch.
Grilled fish fillet and veggies for dinner.

I rang the PBS safety net bell last week, which means I get free prescriptions for the rest of the year. One of the new scripts OsmoLax that I have been told to take is a over the counter product costing $20.00 for 30 doses, so getting that free as well. It tastes ok in 250 ml of cordial.

Grannypat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
getting really old but I am dealing with it
Don't read this post, it might make things worse!

Today I made a chocolate and nut icecream, a proper one with the fuss with egg yolks.
It was very much worth the hassle, and still lowish carb :)

I used 85% chocolate from Aldi, almond butter, egg yolks, milk, cream, and a very little amount of amaretto.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
our 20 grams of weighed cheese and the counted out 5 olives made me laugh reading right after your description of yesterdays take-away! :hilarious:
Its all about balance, pig out one day, fast (nearly!) the next ;)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make that mousse? It sounds delicious, and I guess I can simply leave out the stevia or replace by a very small amount of sugar without it being a lot of carbs! :hungry:
Simples. Just make about 60ml of coffee let it cool a bit then mix it through the marscapone adding a bit of cream (if you have any) and sweetener of choice to taste (or not). Can add more coffee too to taste.
Let it thicken in the fridge until you can't wait any more

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Simples. Just make about 60ml of coffee let it cool a bit then mix it through the marscapone adding a bit of cream (if you have any) and sweetener of choice to taste (or not). Can add more coffee too to taste.
Let it thicken in the fridge until you can't wait any more
Thank you! Sounds ridiculously easy and very yummy!

Reactions: MrsA2 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Cullen Skink - the dyed fish was fairly tasteless, as expected but it was still a satisfying meal. Same amount left over for tomorrow.

2nd meal: a version of huevos rancheros - a bit less spicy than the original recipe, but it suits me. I used some of the Aleppo pepper that I bought online a week or so back. Quite a nice, gentle heat.

Lots of cooking today - weekend veg soup - about a litre and a half, now in the freezer; a large tray of chicken and vegetable bake now in 6 plastic trays in the fridge, waiting to get access to the freezer - Neil's working on a desktop for himself in the back porch/utility so I can't open the freezer door.

Wondering whether to try to get an appointment with the opthalmologist. I have had a sore eye, which Neil thinks is infected and which is affecting my vision but when I was about to phone, I realised that it had actually improved since this morning, so I didn't bother. We'll see how it is tomorrow. A bit sore and gritty at the moment. No doubt it will have sorted itself out by the time I get an appointment.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L: 90 second bread roll (knew the marscapone pot would come in useful) with cold beef and olives. Coffee mousse
D: another pub meal lamb shwarma with yoghurt dressing on a cabbage salad. Very tasty and I left most of the flat bread it arrived on. Glass of red.

I'm injured and its too stressful trying to direct hubby how to cook (which includes how to turn the oven on) as well as directing him doing everything else. Off to family tomorrow so he can have a break and we can both be waited upon.
Not sure what my waistline is going to be after all this eating out and takeaways but at least the libre has helped me keep bg in check (mostly)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi everyone,
Need to get back on the wagon.
Not that i really fell off, but fingernails can only take so much.
Breakfast 2 scrambled eggs, CWC.
CWC
Lunch: 2 ( carbs are creeping in) small slices of baguette, ham, coleslaw and salad. Sugar free squash,
Visited a friend and had mineral water with a slice of lemon.
Dinner 2 chicken thighs, small portion of dauphinois potatoes with added "parmesan"
Few carrots and large pile of green beans.
2 glasses of rosé, but then several spoonfuls of peanut butter. And another CWC. Will be lemon tea at bedtime.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF rhubarb jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual bacon and omelette for breakfast, same old, but it's low carb and quick and filling to cook and eat.
Pea and ham soup for lunch, glass of lemon cordial with a scoop of OsmoLax mixed in.
Lamb fore quarter chops, veggies and gravy for dinner.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Back to Sunday. Had my usual slice HiLo toast and tea breakfast. Lunch was in a lovely pub garden with both sons and DIL to be to celebrate Mr PM’s birthday. I had roast chicken with the spuds and Yorkshire swapped for extra veg. It was a lovely occasion and everyone enjoyed it. In the evening I just had some Rollitos with a gin & soda.
Monday yesterday same brekkie. Lunch was some rare sliced roast beef from a pack with a smidge of Horseradish and a spoon of coleslaw. Supper was shredded Peking duck with green salad.
Today just had my usual brekkie. Going for a long walk by the coast this morning with Mr PM. Lunch will be frugal salad bits from the fridge. Supper will be tomato & basil omelette. Still having awful FBG might pop on my spare Libre though I seem to be in freefall whatever I do atm.
I have been mulling over making ice cream mixing Fage yogurt with frozen berries but I would just like my BG to behave better first.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came across this snack pack of nuts in Lidl yesterday. It’s a clear copycat of a similar Graze product, but far cheaper and also in my view, far more tasty too! Very handy for carrying around. 3.6g carb per box.

3EF9C61C-B62C-4205-BF00-A586EA9F5822.jpeg
B84055C2-827F-47FA-837C-9D7E67AFC5BA.jpeg

Reactions: Antje77 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: the remaining Cullen Skink. I had it cold because I didn't want to reheat the cream that was in it. Not bad at all.

2nd meal: will be more of the huevos rancheros but this time with the addition of some pork sausage patties or balls. .

Phoned the fish shop this morning and they say that Neil can take the car in and drive along the harbour wall - he just has to explain to the people on the gated entrance that he is going to the fish shop. Simple when it comes to it. The fishermen all have their own pass, and are recognised anyway, so the barrier is automatically raised for them, but there is, apparently, someone there to operate the barrier when necessary. Neil's busy today, so we will have to try it out next Tuesday.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I came across this snack pack of nuts in Lidl yesterday. It’s a clear copycat of a similar Graze product, but far cheaper and also in my view, far more tasty too! Very handy for carrying around. 3.6g carb per box.

View attachment 49848 View attachment 49849

I'm going to have a go at making something similar to this - it has ingredients I can't take and, we don't have a Lidl on the Island anyway. I've looked at Graze products, hoping to find something to use as a snack, but none of them are suitable. Worth having a go myself.

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to have a go at making something similar to this - it has ingredients I can't take and, we don't have a Lidl on the Island anyway. I've looked at Graze products, hoping to find something to use as a snack, but none of them are suitable. Worth having a go myself.

Yes, I imagine it’d be pretty easy to re-create.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner tonight was a bit experimental, but successful.

Having never before a) had fish in an omelette or b) had an egg white omelette, I tried both at once as I used up some leftovers.

Made the Diet Doctor cheese crusted omelette using 1 whole egg mixed with 3 egg whites leftover from the ice cream making a couple of days ago. The filling was leftover sea bass from the weekend. Was pretty good and far too big - couldn’t finish it.

Lunch had been at Nando’s - sitting outside in the sun after returning an item to Ikea and a walk along the Thames to get there. Half a plain chicken (minus the driest bit of the breast), Halloumi and a side of broccoli.

Success of dinner means the ‘backup’ air fried chicken wings will be a packed lunch tomorrow :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love that cheese crusted omelette too @Goonergal, but I’ve never had a fishy one either.
Today I had breakfast of fried eggs and spinach in an effort to stop the inexorable rise in BG. Didn’t work, I was over 7mmol before 9 am and stayed there until nearly 4pm
Lunch was leftover DD Philly cheesesteak thing from yesterday.
Dinner another DD recipe https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-salmon-cowboy-sauce/servings/3 I wasn’t sure about this sauce, it sounds and looks a bit odd but actually worked really well with the salmon.
Last of the s/f jelly. No more puds for a while.