What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.10am FBG 5.4
A grey damp day yesterday so not much gardening done, except found the first Flea Beetle munching away on my cauliflower plants. As a result decided not to buy them tasty young cabbage plants as well. Researching flea beetles, seems we left them perfect breeding conditions while we were away. And difficult to deal with in a way that would leave me any desire to eat the crop.
Boring but neccessary housework, including cleaninga few windows, my shoulder is much improved in 24 hours.
Exciting development in the building work- we now have an upstairs toilet and hand basin. MrSlim is suggesting we move into our new bedroom this weekend.
This morning have just spent time behind the oven, under the worktop, filling in yet another access point for mice with pieces of stone and concrete. Errant was under there this morning, indicating interest.
Now too late to visit the market.
@Krystyna23040 am the same with beetroot, have tried to like it. In many different forms, but no, after a while the aversion was growing stronger.
Trying to like celeriac did work though.
@lindisfel got a very short video of a young black restart, but cannot find how to post it..

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.3 today

we had a lovely hot sunny day here so I got the tub planted up, I decided to put a small rosemary bush in the middle just to give a bit of structure :) then we sat and drank tea in the garden at Mum's when we collected her shopping list.

It has now clouded over and is cooling rapidly, if it doesn't rain we will have to water the plants in tubs this evening. It went from 9'C this morning to 19'C this afternoon and is now rapidly heading back towards 9'C again ;)

Two phone calls today, one from the cousin who visited Mum to say she got home safely, one from another cousin to say his son had passed away from liver disease earlier this morning. It's been a strange day :sorry:

hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@gennepher - a very fine picture of the badger, strange that it should be more curious than frightened :)

@SlimLizzy - Errant obviously takes his guardian duties seriously :)

@dunelm - lovely trees with a fine graphic quality against those mountains, I like the thunderous sky very much :joyful: well painted

@Krystyna23040 - don't mind chia or hemp seeds, can even manage Marmite but don't offer me broad beans Yuck! fortunately LC doesn't allow them :angelic: :D I hadn't heard of the 'protein powder' variants of chia and hemp though :)

art bit - based on a photo found on the net and painted on Fabriano studio not paper, used masking fluid for the waterfall
View attachment 50121
Definitely a strange day yesterday. Very sad news from your cousin.

Yes - I agree that broad beans are yuck.

Your waterfall painting is stunning.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I rather like marmite, famously always took a huge jar to breakfast in year one at Uni. Two of the big changes for me are avoiding roast meat and alcohol as much as possible. Quite hopeful that you have managed to brainwash yourself back into eating ribeye steak. That cut is probably our favourite. Haven't tried Portehouse - blue or not.
I haven't tried Porterhouse steak either.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
am the same with beetroot, have tried to like it. In many different forms, but no, after a while the aversion was growing stronger.
Trying to like celeriac did work though.
It is so interesting that we are all so different regarding the foods we love or hate. I do love beetroot if it is in vinegar.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is so interesting that we are all so different regarding the foods we love or hate. I do love beetroot if it is in vinegar.
Ugh! Beetroot in vinegar - anything in vinegar is an absolute no-no for me:hungover:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ugh! Beetroot in vinegar - anything in vinegar is an absolute no-no for me:hungover:
Without acv lc would be close to unbearable for me - makes the best vinaigrette IMHO and I do eat salad from time to time:angelic: Roast baby beetroot somehow makes a bearable sauce when roast with dinky vine tomatoes, liberally swamped in olive oil, for those times I leave the reservation. A roast dinner with red meat is still just about ok if partnered by those two.
Edit: Not chops. What is the point of chops???

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Without acv lc would be close to unbearable for me - makes the best vinaigrette IMHO and I do eat salad from time to time:angelic: Roast baby beetroot somehow makes a bearable sauce when roast with dinky vine tomatoes, liberally swamped in olive oil, for those times I leave the reservation. A roast dinner with red meat is still just about ok if partnered by those two.
I agree that chops are not nice. In fact they always seem horrible and dry.
However I do love roast lamb shoulder and roast belly of pork. Probably because the fat makes them so tasty and tender. Lamb shoulder done in the slow cooker is lovely also.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that chops are not nice. In fact they always seem horrible and dry.
However I do love roast lamb shoulder and roast belly of pork. Probably because the fat makes them so tasty and tender. Lamb shoulder done in the slow cooker is lovely also.
I concur. Spare ribs from W.....se are wonderful. We've tried ribs from butchers in several parts of East Anglia - just don't work. We found our LC barbeque sauce recipe in The Great Declutter Pt 1. Maybe an idea before summer ends, W.....se have a "window" for the large ones, from the meat and fish counter. Normal ones aren't up to much.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Vinaigrette on salad is fine.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.0 today

Thank you for your well wishes :)

a warm day which tipped over into overcast and muggy during the afternoon here.

Out shopping early then back and over to Mum's with her share of the spoils :) We took a salad lunch and the remaining portion of rum and raisin homemade ice cream over with us and spent a pleasant hour for lunch in her garden before it clouded over :joyful:

Bin day for the aptly named 'poubelle' today (it's the hot weather you know ;) ).

mr gee is currently virtually doing a rain dance, he's not amused because a seagull has splattered one of the skylights so badly it barely transmits light :hilarious: he sprayed it with cleaner (the window not the seagull :D )and is now waiting for rain ;)

Not especially keen on beetroot pickled or otherwise but that very northern dish pickled red cabbage is tasty and I like thinly sliced shallots left for a couple of days to pickle in malt vinegar :) Haven't tried making them with ACV. Do you think it might work making some LC chutney using ACV?

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@SlimLizzy - glad your shoulder is improved and the upstairs facilities sound good :)

@Muddy Cyclist - a trip to Powis Castle sound lovely :)

@dunelm - a delightful picture today, I like the way you have painted the tree and the foreground especially :joyful:

@gennepher - a big hug for the badger demolition derby :sorry:
A colourful and fluid painting today though with a slight remoteness to it that works very well :)

art bit - based on a photo I took last month of some of the apple blossom in Mum's garden
painted on Hahnemuhle paper

upload_2021-6-23_19-46-37.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.0 today

Out shopping early then back and over to Mum's with her share of the spoils :) We took a salad lunch and the remaining portion of rum and raisin homemade ice cream over with us and spent a pleasant hour for lunch in her garden before it clouded over :joyful:

Bin day for the aptly named 'poubelle' today (it's the hot weather you know ;) ).

mr gee is currently virtually doing a rain dance, he's not amused because a seagull has splattered one of the skylights so badly it barely transmits light :hilarious: he sprayed it with cleaner (the window not the seagull :D )and is now waiting for rain ;)

Not especially keen on beetroot pickled or otherwise but that very northern dish pickled red cabbage is tasty and I like thinly sliced shallots left for a couple of days to pickle in malt vinegar :) Haven't tried making them with ACV. Do you think it might work making some LC chutney using ACV?

@SlimLizzy - glad your shoulder is improved and the upstairs facilities sound good :)

@dunelm - a delightful picture today, I like the way you have painted the tree and the foreground especially :joyful:

A colourful and fluid painting today though with a slight remoteness to it that works very well :)

art bit - based on a photo I took last month of some of the apple blossom in Mum's garden

View attachment 50150
Love the apple blossom. I do miss the fruit tree blossom since we moved so that cheered me. Do try the chutney with acv and maybe pass on the recipe should it work. One does so enjoy strong cheddar and chutters.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.0 today

View attachment 50150
Thanks @geefull

The apple blossom is beautiful.

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Relaxing with a coffee before the dog walk, then an Admin morning on my supersonic broadband. Afternoon will be shopping, dog walking then reading the daily paper (Tuesdays) and off to teach evening classes in Norwich.

Class members seem on the whole quite happy to continue to bring their own mats and equipment after Covid 19 (if there is an after Covid 19). Only one person said I was being paranoid if I was intending to continue with this hygiene measure. Apparently we all have to stop these hygiene measures and just get on with life.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.0 today

View attachment 50150
Poubelle - yes and a feminine word - will the French have to stop all this malarky once someone begins to identify as Le poubelle and take them to court? Thank you for your kind comments about my tree and a smashing painting of your mum’s apple blossom - great colours and not overdone Smashing.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning on the official Anglo-American bins day - gee you crazy Brits need to fall in line. Christmas is marking out its long run. Longest day gone and today is celebration of the birth of John The Baptist. Must be time for back to school clothing and tubs of confectionery in shops. Unnecessary 5.0 for me today - standard menu, 23 gms carb - could be hay fever mk ii. Today is Thursday - I'm with you Jess. Same two poor souls as yesterday relying on me today. I have progressed to level two housework. One can select the tools for mid range vacuums unaided and use auto cooking presets on the 2nd best cooker. Level four is for the Kirby, all singing and dancing cooker, chatting over the fence and beginning all lectures on what is wrong with "can I just say" Tinkety Tonk Old Fruits.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Relaxing with a coffee before the dog walk, then an Admin morning on my supersonic broadband. Afternoon will be shopping, dog walking then reading the daily paper (Tuesdays) and off to teach evening classes in Norwich.

Class members seem on the whole quite happy to continue to bring their own mats and equipment after Covid 19 (if there is an after Covid 19). Only one person said I was being paranoid if I was intending to continue with this hygiene measure. Apparently we all have to stop these hygiene measures and just get on with life.
Always one (at least) - sounds like you are being very kind to your students.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.

A 5.4 this morning on that scheming, evil, devious meter, me and me's are watching it.

Today me and me's have been given permission to enjoy today, I'm orf out on the motorcycle shortly, but the last time this happened Mrs J disappeared to a garden centre , just how much is my desire to go for a ride over protecting my wallet.

Remember the stays.

Must drink koffy now.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 6.3 for me today.

The gardens at Powis Castle yesterday were stunning and the place was not very busy so time to meander slowly along the terraces.

IMG_4932.JPG IMG_4933.JPG IMG_4934.JPG IMG_4935.JPG

I like the lack of health and safety rules in these gardens, no fences on the very steep drop and 20 foot retaining wall down to the next terrace. Cutting the Yew hedge must be a huge task, that's Mrs MC standing by it for idea of scale.

Other than having to meet Nick The Fish on a pub car park the day is mine.

Keep safe and do splendid things.