What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of hamburger patties / flattened reesoles, cheese and egg omelette, left over veggies for breakfast.
Not much for lunch as I had a doctor appointment, pot of Kobani greek yoghurt went down well, nice and cool in my insides.
Steak and veggies, gravy for dinner.

I went to see the palliative care GP at the surgery I go to, she is a very friendly person and put me at ease straight away. Lots of questions about I want to achieve and why. Changed and stopped some of my medications to try and stop the internal bleeding in the colon. This had been brought up before but I went for one evry day, but have now agreed to this being stopped, I asked for the Rosavastatin to be stopped as well, no more niggly aches and pains no this has stopped.

She prescribed a starter dose of Fentanyl 12 mcg patches, which can / will be increased later, and also put me back on Oxycodone which my other GP took me off.

An interesting hour spent, I am glad that it was bulk billed to Medicare and not dollar cash out of my pocket.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to see the palliative care GP at the surgery I go to, she is a very friendly person and put me at ease straight away.
Hope my 'winner' icon doesn't cause offense!
I'm sorry about your illness, wish you didn't have it. But the winner is for dealing with it on your own terms, and a bit for the GP, who sounds like a keeper.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope my 'winner' icon doesn't cause offense!
I'm sorry about your illness, wish you didn't have it. But the winner is for dealing with it on your own terms, and a bit for the GP, who sounds like a keeper.
No offence taken @Antje77, I am going into this with my eyes open so I have had to toughen up even more than usual.

I have just my sung my songs of praise to the Nurse Navigator from the base hospital who was with me at one stage yesterday at the appointment, they are both keepers as well.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - slc hot dog roll filled with 2 bratwurst sausages & grated cheese on top also had a bratwurst sausage on its own. Finally managed to get the carb killas choc ices at my local Tesco @Rachox but unfortunately not able to really taste it as I have still not got my taste back from having COVID (grrrrh!). Sorry to hear you have had it too it's everywhere at the moment ...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
After a bad experience from soup which may have been too old, although it tasted fine; that was yesterday evening. Should have been hungry because I was pretty empty, but couldn't tackle food at all. Just (11.30) had a stick of celery because I fancied it. So, I guess my stomach is recovering. Can't face soup after last night, so I've finished off the oxtail soup and it will go into the freezer once it is cool enough.

I have some salmon so will either poach or sear it when I do feel like eating. Some watercress salad (including some more celery) will be enough for today.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my salmon around 3 pm but since then have had to hit the lemon and ginger tea again. My stomach still complaining after yesterday's mistake. BG's around 7, so it's not all bad.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of coffee, my morning normal.
Lunch was salad of prawns, avocado, rocket, cottage cheese and choc chia pud to follow. BG went up to 8.6 after that. Couldn’t believe it, must have been 7g carbs max.
Mid afternoon fed up type of mindless nibbling - cheese, olives and a lc cupcake.
Dinner airfried lamb chops, mushrooms and broccoli. 0% Fage and a few blueberries then for some reason ( still feeling glum probably ) a handful of 100% buttons.
Daughter came over to show off her new car (an ancient LandRover discovery)and I stupidly left the chocolate on a low table so when I got back Dennis had eaten them. I know dogs aren’t supposed to have chocolate, it wasn’t much but I gave him a raw egg to line his stomach and will keep an eye on him. It’s been that sort of day.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I stupidly left the chocolate on a low table so when I got back Dennis had eaten them. I know dogs aren’t supposed to have chocolate, it wasn’t much but I gave him a raw egg to line his stomach and will keep an eye on him.
How long ago was this? If it was high cocoa content, don't keep an eye but rush to the vet.
If you see symptoms, you might well be too late so keeping an eye won't help, it's not something which can always be repaired by the vet once the chocolate is in the system.

Happened here twice, both times I saw it happening so was at the vets within 30 minutes to make them puke the chocolate back up, most expensive chocolate I've ever had, but the dogs are fine.

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We started the day with an emergency trip to the vets too. Our boy cat had developed a big lump on his face over the past 2 days. It was an abscess which the vet cut open and has left to drain so boy is looking pretty scary. He's also been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism so on medication twice a day. He doesn't like taking it and we don't like giving it as we come off worse!
Meant an early breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs, a dash to vets, yoga, shopping and a coffee with a friend
Lunch was a handful of cocktail meat balls with 4 cherry tomatoes. 8 cherries with ff creamy yoghurt.
Dinner was nearly half a roast chicken, and a small ice cream

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and DGF lemon and ginger cake, the ginger broke through my dodgy taste buds
Dinner: seafood sticks, coleslaw, leafy salad and Brie followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, eggs, tomatoes for breakfast, a slice of toast and Vegimite.
Prawns and salad in a lower cabr wrap, Kobani 15% protein greek yoghurt.
Baked fish (Mangrove Jack from our fishing neighbour), green veggies.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long ago was this? If it was high cocoa content, don't keep an eye but rush to the vet.
If you see symptoms, you might well be too late so keeping an eye won't help, it's not something which can always be repaired by the vet once the chocolate is in the system.

Happened here twice, both times I saw it happening so was at the vets within 30 minutes to make them puke the chocolate back up, most expensive chocolate I've ever had, but the dogs are fine.

Thanks so much for the emergency alert. I rang the vet And as you surmised they said to bring him in immediately. I’m not allowed to drive since my seizure last month and Paul had been in the pub for a couple of hours so I had to call on a neighbour to give us a lift. The vet made Dennis sick but they’ve kept him in on a drip and to monitor him in case of seizures. I didn’t realise the difference that high cocoa percentage chocolate made, and he’s not a very big dog so a little poison would go a long way. Thank heavens you read my post, what a life saving thread this is.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for the emergency alert. I rang the vet And as you surmised they said to bring him in immediately. I’m not allowed to drive since my seizure last month and Paul had been in the pub for a couple of hours so I had to call on a neighbour to give us a lift. The vet made Dennis sick but they’ve kept him in on a drip and to monitor him in case of seizures. I didn’t realise the difference that high cocoa percentage chocolate made, and he’s not a very big dog so a little poison would go a long way. Thank heavens you read my post, what a life saving thread this is.
Thank you for taking him to the vet, I was really worried about him after rereading your post and seeing it was 100% cocoa buttons!
Thought to PM you, but as you are always active on this thread I hoped my post would alert you just the same.
If ever this happens again (yes I know, from now on you'll keep everything chocolate safely locked up, just like I did until I didn't for the second time :bag:), you know to get to the vet right away which will save the dog a drip and your wallet enough to take the dog and his extended family out for a fancy meal.

By the way, don't bother with locking the chocolate on weekdays, dogs only eat chocolate during the weekend...

Very happy Dennis is in good hands now, I can go to bed without worries :)

edit: And good neighbours are worth their weight in gold!

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of pet horror stories here, but at least we should be thankful that - given the title of this forum - nobody appears to have given in to their hunger and actually eaten their animal companion, so that's a plus. Seriously, though, hope everything turns out well for your pets, DJC3 and MrsA2. Didn't know that about dogs and chocolate (we've only ever had cats), so I've been educated too, which is another reason why I love this site.
This morning I had my usual cup of Earl Grey tea for breakfast. Can't remember when I switched from ordinary tea to Earl Grey, but I only ever drink the latter now, and find standard tea too astringent for my taste. Has anybody else found this since changing their eating habits? There's possibly another thread here: 'Things I never used to eat/drink before I started eating sensibly'. If any moderators/content supervisors are reading this, feel free to use it. I will take any commission in bitcoin, please, to further my bid to become an oligarch before I die. I may start to learn Russian to help things along.
Mid-morning: small coffee.
Lunch: usual mix of yoghurt, berries, nuts, seeds, etc.
Went for 5-mile walk with Mrs C, ending at a canalside eatery where we each had a pint of lime and soda. Sometimes our decadence knows no bounds.
Dinner/Tea (depending on where you live and which social class you inhabit): Mozzarella and piccolo tomatoes covered in basil, oregano and olive oil, followed by 2 slices of prosciutto with half a pear. Piece of 85% chocolate with small coffee.
No snacks, but plenty of water (it's been hot today) and a couple more cups of EG.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for taking him to the vet, I was really worried about him after rereading your post and seeing it was 100% cocoa buttons!
Thought to PM you, but as you are always active on this thread I hoped my post would alert you just the same.
If ever this happens again (yes I know, from now on you'll keep everything chocolate safely locked up, just like I did until I didn't for the second time :bag:), you know to get to the vet right away which will save the dog a drip and your wallet enough to take the dog and his extended family out for a fancy meal.

By the way, don't bother with locking the chocolate on weekdays, dogs only eat chocolate during the weekend...

Very happy Dennis is in good hands now, I can go to bed without worries :)

edit: And good neighbours are worth their weight in gold!

Yes sleep tight, you’ve certainly earned sweet dreams.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of pet horror stories here, but at least we should be thankful that - given the title of this forum - nobody appears to have given in to their hunger and actually eaten their animal companion, so that's a plus. Seriously, though, hope everything turns out well for your pets, DJC3 and MrsA2. Didn't know that about dogs and chocolate (we've only ever had cats), so I've been educated too, which is another reason why I love this site.
This morning I had my usual cup of Earl Grey tea for breakfast. Can't remember when I switched from ordinary tea to Earl Grey, but I only ever drink the latter now, and find standard tea too astringent for my taste. Has anybody else found this since changing their eating habits? There's possibly another thread here: 'Things I never used to eat/drink before I started eating sensibly'. If any moderators/content supervisors are reading this, feel free to use it. I will take any commission in bitcoin, please, to further my bid to become an oligarch before I die. I may start to learn Russian to help things along.
Mid-morning: small coffee.
Lunch: usual mix of yoghurt, berries, nuts, seeds, etc.
Went for 5-mile walk with Mrs C, ending at a canalside eatery where we each had a pint of lime and soda. Sometimes our decadence knows no bounds.
Dinner/Tea (depending on where you live and which social class you inhabit): Mozzarella and piccolo tomatoes covered in basil, oregano and olive oil, followed by 2 slices of prosciutto with half a pear. Piece of 85% chocolate with small coffee.
No snacks, but plenty of water (it's been hot today) and a couple more cups of EG.

Thanks for your good wishes for Dennis.
Regarding your tea preferences - do you have milk in either? I can drink Earl Grey black but not ordinary tea, I keep trying.
Things I didn’t eat before: the skin on chicken. I could never have imagined enjoying this, now I think it’s the best bit ( has to be crispy obviously)

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding your tea preferences - do you have milk in either? I can drink Earl Grey black but not ordinary tea, I keep trying.
Things I didn’t eat before: the skin on chicken. I could never have imagined enjoying this, now I think it’s the best bit ( has to be crispy obviously)
Hi DJC3 - yes, I take milk in both. Have tried both without in an attempt to minimise the lactose carbs, and found the Earl Grey more palatable, but eventually went back to the white stuff. Just a natural born sinner, I guess. I've always loved chicken skin, and you're right - the crispier the better. Please give Dennis a pat on the head from me, and tell him that my cat, Poppy, also says hello.

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, if we're talking things we didn't eat before but do now:
- chocolate with 75% or more cocoa solids
- linseed mix (I only ever used linseed oil to protect my guitar fretboard)
- yoghurt (hated the taste of it)
- kale (thought it was only used for cattle feed)
- nuts (other than salted roast peanuts and the walnut on a walnut whip)
- tinned mackerel

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stupidly left the chocolate on a low table so when I got back Dennis had eaten them. I know dogs aren’t supposed to have chocolate, it wasn’t much but I gave him a raw egg to line his stomach and will keep an eye on him. It’s been that sort of day.
You can buy special choc drops for dogs in the UK, they are formulated specially for them

https://www.goodboy.co.uk/where-to-buy/good-boy-online/good-boy-choc-drops-dog-treats/

30_e044bb75-ceae-47c4-ab7d-bafa1d4426c6.png

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried to behave myself as best I could yesterday for my birthday
Breakfast was butchers sausages and omelette, with a latte.
Lunch was a tuna steak with mixed salad (and a handful of chips) with a delicious flat white coffee
My other half sorted a surprise meal with friends in the evening in the Indian and had a paneer tikka shaslik starter, with lamb rogan josh, mushroom bhaji and a cheese naan (my birthday treat) and a vodka, soda and lime.

Things certainly would have been a lot more different pre-T2!