What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmmm! Cavy curry is very tasty in South America.

You will have a years worth. :D
At the shelter I've paid 15 euros a piece, and while they're very tasty (yes, I've had guinea pig, very fatty, tasty meat, nothing like rabbit, much closer to pork) that's too expensive for my tastes. Lots of annoying small bones as well.
So I'll just feed the piggies instead of the other way around :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG a bit too high today - don't know why but it was high last night, and through the night. Must have done something. I did make cupcakes with Em, but I didn't eat any - honest! She's coming back today to finish them off (they have small rollos in them and she wants to finish them with chocolate cream and another mini rollo on top). I will not touch them, I promise.

Breakfast: last 2 rashers of bacon and 2 eggs - all dry fried.

Lunch: mushroom soup. Still lots left, so I must get it into the freezer, because I shan't use any more of it for a few days.

The soup isn't very filling, so I might need another bit of a meal later. If so, it will be a watercress salad.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just grumbling about having to go shopping and cooking today because of the soup gone off, when my neighbour called to tell me I should come over to get a portion of broad beans.
I love broad beans!

Got almost a bucket full, and I like them much better fresh than frozen, so I'll be eating lots of broad beans in the next few days :)
Anyone got a favourite recipe to share?

213750941_10223876318770214_3342108493381826452_n.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just grumbling about having to go shopping and cooking today because of the soup gone off, when my neighbour called to tell me I should come over to get a portion of broad beans.
I love broad beans!

Got almost a bucket full, and I like them much better fresh than frozen, so I'll be eating lots of broad beans in the next few days :)

My mother used to cook beans of all sorts but I don't think she really knew what she was doing and they were never very palatable. But recently I have been trying French beans and really enjoyed them, so I'm keen to try other beans when I can get hold of them - including broad beans. Oddly, the easiest beans to get hold of here are frozen edamame and, occasionally French beans (fresh). Not too keen on the frozen ones but I do rather like the idea of fresh broad beans. Are they very carby though?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simply take some cooked broad beans (out of skins), mash with garlic, olive oil and grated parmesan to taste. Use as dip, or on pasta, crackers etc. Can make it fancier by adding mint or coriander or anchovies

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are they very carby though?
About 4 grams per 100 gr :)

I eat lots of different green beans: runner beans, string beans, snow peas, none of them seem to affect my BG much.
Fresh broad beans are a special treat. They're rather expensive to buy fresh, especially as more half the weight is the outer bean which is thrown away. You only eat the inside, like you do with green peas.
The frozen ones taste pretty good as well, but not as good as fresh :)

Today I got them for free (apart from expecting my neighbour to come over for a beer of course) and I'll thoroughly enjoy them!
Simply take some cooked broad beans (out of skins), mash with garlic, olive oil and grated parmesan to taste. Use as dip, or on pasta, crackers etc. Can make it fancier by adding mint or coriander or anchovies
What a good idea!
I might have a look if I can find some young nettles in the garden, I think they'll go very well in your recipe. I expect this to be very good as an add on on a LC cheese sandwich :hungry:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty perfect Sunday here, started with an open water swim in the sea then ham and eggs for a warming breakfast.
Sunday lunch/ dinner was roast leg of lamb with green beans and broccoli and a couple of roast sprouts. Went way off PE macros by virtue of red wine and a wedge of Yarg cheese. Still low carb so happy days.
@Antje77 I love fresh broad beans but rarely do anything with them except boil and add a dollop of butter. Sometimes simple is best when the food is fresh. I also love them cold in salads with vinaigrette. Lucky you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Dinner: cheesy scrambled egg followed by SF raspberry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.
Was going to do a Sunday roast but none of us felt like cooking or eating it :(

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual bacon, cheese and mushroom omelette, tomato for breakfast.
Found a packet of haloumi cheese at the back on the fridge, so had that cooked up as chips for lunch.
Fish fillets, veggies for dinner.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was a two egg, cheesy omelette
Lunch was an almond latte, piece of homemade no crust quiche and a Grenade Killa bar
Dinner was roast pork, broccoli cheese, cauliflower cheese, carrot and swede mash, parsnips, cabbage and walnuts... first roast without potatoes, and honestly, I did not miss them

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love broad beans!

My favourite way is double shelled which is a tedious task but you get a vibrant tender green bean that is more digestible. Add raw to salad or cook lightly and crush with butter and seasoning as a chunky type of mash. Just realised I haven’t any in two years.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As posted we had a Thai t/a on Saturday night but mine was a bit off and was cold. It was mwant to be stirfried chicken with ginger & spring onion but there was little sign of either, very wishy washy. Anyway felt unwell for hours after and in and out of little room until 4am when I got some sleep. Yesterday all I wanted was bread and butter so had my usual slice HiLo toast for breakfast and lunch was slice of bakery wholemeal bread and butter with a cup of tea. Didnt test again till 6pm when I was mid 6s. Had two sausages off bbq. I find it i possible to not have bread after a tummy upset and was glad I was able to stop at one slice of the bakery bread!
Today just had slice HiLo toast and tea. Lunch will be cold sausages probs (1.1g carbs each) with bit of lettuce and coleslaw. Supper will be chicken, chorizo, red pepper chopped up mix with paprika stirfried and cauli rice.
@Rachox sorry to hear about the positive test and hope you won't be too badly affected. Its amazing how transmissible this latest variant is. Take great care.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy belatd birthday, @PenguinMum !

I've just had a look at the soup and I don't trust it. I think it isn't supposed to have lots of tiny air bubbles.
It's a waste, but I'll eat something else. Not sure what though, as expected I'm floored after today so not very motivated to make something to eat, although I'm rather hungry by now.

I have 5 wonderful new guinea pigs though: two elderly ladies (5 and 6) , who can live out the last part of their lives with me, two very cute and very little girls, just old enough to be without their mother, I think about 5 weeks old, and one very fat lady who is picking a fight with everyone. Hope she settles down a bit :)
Thank you. I have had that bubbling reaction in cold soup in the past if it has been left out of fridge, even in winter, and it has to be dumped.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: Ham and dry fried eggs. (BG was very high around 7 am, although at 3 am it was only around 8. I'm beginning to wonder if the milk in my early cup of tea could be doing this.)

2nd meal: will be duck breast with some greens (plenty to choose from in the fridge).

If I need a 3rd meal it will be a bowl of soup - plenty still in the fridge.

Still trying to clear up in the kitchen after the baking spree with Em - all washed but still needs to go away. Then try to find all the sticky bits Em has left around the place, despite washing her hands before baking, she still manages to make the place horribly sticky (the desk, the tablet, the laptop, the tabletop, the cupboard handles. Just as well I'm not so sticky phobic as her grandad was.)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Em arrived out of the blue for a visit while her mum was doing her part-time job and delivering some laundry (a 6 hour visit). So plans for today went out of the window. I asked her what she would eat for lunch and "chips and cheese with some pickled onions" was the request. Her Dad came in with the post and predicted that she would pick the cheese off of the chips and leave them. Well, at least she ate the pickled onions and cheese. Then she had 2 more dishes of grilled cheese and found some berries in the fridge which she was devouring when her Mum arrived to pick her up. Although she eats lots, she doesn't eat a meal really - just picks at bits and pieces - usually things that she recognises are good for her.

The soup is ready to go, so I'll have that as my 2nd meal and keep the duck for tomorrow - may have to cook it today and have it cold tomorrow. Don't want to have anything just yet, despite being hungry - BG is just coming down from 15.1 on the Libre sensor (so 15.7 or .8 really) so I don't think any food is a good idea.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today was 3 egg ham and cheese omelette with a spoon of sauerkraut.
Got lost on a walk with Dennis, exploring little used footpaths. Didn’t get home until mid aft with aching feet, too late for lunch.
Dinner was a reverse seared ribeye steak and a Greek style salad ( it had olives in) followed by choc chia pud.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a lovely steak last night (with courgettes and broccoli), as did hubby so why was I the only one who woke up with very upset stomach today?
As a result have only just eaten, a sausage with courgettes and kale. 10 raspberries with a little ff greek.

We've been away for over a week so returned to a garden full of raspberries and courgettes. Expect them to feature in most meals from here on