High blood sugar - is it definitely diabetes?

gemlou84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I had a routine blood test and had a text message from gp yesterday saying my blood sugars were high and to book an appointment. Does this mean I’m likely to have diabetes? I’m not overweight, but haven’t had the best diet for the last few years. I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy / 4 years ago - not sure if that makes me higher risk. I had the blood test because I was feeling exhausted - like unreal tiredness. Anyway, I’ve had a low carb day today and will carry on, just in case. If anyone can help, would really appreciate it… is this the start?

jjne

Depends what they mean by "high". I think diabetes is a fairly bland term - it just means your blood sugar is high, an hba1c greater than or equal to 48.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They might also be telling you you have prediabetes (42 to 47 hba1c or thereabouts, the lower number varies by country) or something else altogether if other tests were done as well. Given your GD history, diabetes or prediabetes seems like a strong possibility, but we are not doctors here and can't diagnose, and also, like you, we don't have the data.

You really have to wait and see, but reducing your carbs in the meantime can't hurt. If you do get told that you have diabetes then there are things you can do to reduce your levels (sounds like you already know this if you are reducing your carbs :)).

One suggestion, if you do get told that you are diabetic or prediabetic, see if you can persuade your GP to prescribe you blood testing strips so that you can see whether your diet is working. Most GPs won't (possibly a cost cutting measure by the NHS?) but some do, so it's worth a try.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi and Welcome @gemlou84

Agree with @EllieM

If you are found to be prediabetic or other try and get a prescription for blood testing meter and strips. Also if that is the case and you are offered medication ask if you can try diet initially to control

Let us know how you go

Reactions: EllieM

Cecs

Hi, I had a routine blood test and had a text message from gp yesterday saying my blood sugars were high and to book an appointment. Does this mean I’m likely to have diabetes? I’m not overweight, but haven’t had the best diet for the last few years. I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy / 4 years ago - not sure if that makes me higher risk. I had the blood test because I was feeling exhausted - like unreal tiredness. Anyway, I’ve had a low carb day today and will carry on, just in case. If anyone can help, would really appreciate it… is this the start?
Hi I was diagnosed type 2 at with an HbA1c of 56 two years ago now. unfortunately my surgery doesn’t give out meters or strips and they wanted me to go straight on to metformin. I said no I would try and change my diet first. They agreed as long as I was retested 6 months later. I bought myself a cheap and cheerful meter and strips on Amazon and read a lot of the posts on this site for information.
It was funny how different foods affected the results and I would never have known this without the meter.
My last HbA1c I was back down to 42.
I’m still not on meds and testing 3 times a day to hopefully keep it that way. I hope it goes well for you.

Reactions: jjne

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @gemlou84
If you haven't already done so, I suggest you get a BG test meter.
The 2 most popular ones on the Diabetes forum (because of cheaper test strips) are:
SD Gluco Navii
Spirit TEE2

I have no connection with either company but use d a TEE2 to help get my HbA1C back to normal (non-diabetic) levels using a Low Carb High(er traditional Fat) way of eating.

Keep a food diary and test before every meal and then 2hrs after 1st bite. Your targets are:
1. No more than an increase of 2mmol between before meal and after meal BG numbers.
2. Highest BG reading to be at most 8.0 mmol.

I too had always been slim, but just sneaked into the overweight BMI category in the 2yrs before diagnosis with T2D.
As well as getting my HbA1C back down to the non-diabetic range I lost that extra weight (plus a little more) and at 70yrs old I'm now at the weight as in my early 30's.

Reactions: DJC3

gemlou84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou all for your responses. I found out I have a hba1c of 43, so I am Prediabetic. I was shocked to start with, but it’s given me a kick up the bum I needed to sort my diet out and get back down the gym. Haven’t touched a carb for a week now ask already feel better for it. I hope with diet, I can keep my numbers low. I do have a question though - do people allow themselves a treat every now and then? My husband has booked a lovely restaurant for my birthday in a few weeks and would love to eat what I wanted for a night? Or is this a massive no no? Thanks
Gem

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou all for your responses. I found out I have a hba1c of 43, so I am Prediabetic. I was shocked to start with, but it’s given me a kick up the bum I needed to sort my diet out and get back down the gym. Haven’t touched a carb for a week now ask already feel better for it. I hope with diet, I can keep my numbers low. I do have a question though - do people allow themselves a treat every now and then? My husband has booked a lovely restaurant for my birthday in a few weeks and would love to eat what I wanted for a night? Or is this a massive no no? Thanks
Gem
Other people will disagree with me but yes I would eat what I wanted if it was an occasional treat especially if a special occasion (within reason, perhaps wouldn't always go for a 3 course meal). I think it's got to be realistic if you want to stick to it for life. Also your blood level isn't too bad so hopefully with a few changes you can bring that down. It would be good to get a meter and keep an eye on your blood sugar levels.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gem
That depends on you almost entirely. If you can go off the reservation (for example) once a month or so, and then go straight back to (eg) under 20g carbs/day, then (in my experience) you will probably be OK that once in a while. If the carby meal leads to cravings and eating more carbs, and you have another "exception meal " three days on, and then another, and you find yourself not in control anymore, then cheat meals are not for you. After a bit I found that I didn't/don't really want a carbfest when we go out anyway, but that's not something I can depend on.

And in addition, you need to be aware of what the carbs are doing to your BG. I find that while a few extra carbs sometimes does not give me a BG problem, it does knock me out of ketosis and it can take a week or more to get back. I had a really bad experience with carbs the first Christmas after diagnosis and it taught me a harsh lesson.

Good luck!