What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG pretty high this morning so I decided to have an early breakfast but then - horrors - I've run out of eggs again. Can't understand that. I was sure I had another dozen in the big fridge. Didn't fancy bacon on its own. Had a potato cake out of the freezer although I did have some mushroom soup in the fridge, which I made yesterday, but I didn't fancy it. BG spiked at 14.3 and so far hasn't dropped very far. I did take extra insulin before I had the potato cake; goodness knows what it would have been without it.

Still hungry, so I will have to have some lunch. I will have the mushroom soup for that. And I have some other chicken and veg soup left over, so might have that later. Soup twice in one day should get the BG down eventually.

The car is currently in the garage to see if they can fit a new alternator to make it more reliable. This time Neil had to deliver it and then walk back into town from the garage to catch a bus home. A bit much for him in his current state of health.

I have to order a soya milk specially for Neil from Amazon - there is only one brand that he feels able to take. For some reason, supplies are being rationed but locally we can't get it any more, so Amazon is the only supplier we can find. I had some delivered today but, although I ordered, and paid for 6 litres, there were only 4 litres in the package! I've put in a complaint and hope I get a satisfactory answer, or some money back. I've ordered more anyway because there is no alternative. Also having problems with soya margarine - we used to buy "Pure" soya marg but the company has stopped producing it because they have insufficient sales of it. I am going to experiment with making our own - other makes have too many ingredients that Neil can't tolerate - but the recipe I have, requires soya milk. Anyone know how to make soya milk?

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast this morning was an omelette, with some more mug bread (far too dry - given up on that experiment), an Actimel and a Choc Brownie Boost Ball

Lunch was chicken, salad, sliced beetroot, pickled shallots etc and some yoghurt, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries

Dinner was chicken-mince bolognaise but with cauli rice rather than pasta, and a Grenade Killa Orange bar (very much like a jaffa)

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Fordy13

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Early morning yogurt with black berries
Breakfast 3 rasher bacon and 3 eggs
Snack of smoked haddock on crackerbread
Dinner tuna pasta (wholemeal pasta)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: cappuccino (first coffee shop visit for months!) and Fibre One caramel protein bar
Dinner: bolognese with sliced fried baby Brussels followed by SF raspberry jelly, raspberry chia pud and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Toasted egg and cracked pepper low carb sandwich, tub of Chobani Fit 15% vanilla greek yoghurt with a small spoon full of coffee gelato in it. They say Kahlua is music to the mouth, this is a far better experience for belting out a riff on the taste buds. for lunch.
Resssoles, green veggies, gravy for dinner.

My new Heart Sure oximeter came yesterday, this one is giving me better results than the old one which is definitely out of wack.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late today so I’d better hurry up and post before I forget what I’ve had.
Started the day with these: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pancakes-berries-whipped-cream Very nice. I think they’d be great as part of a fry up too. ( without the berries and cream!)
Mid afternoon lunch of sliced Turkey breast and salad with a choc chia pud to follow.
Dinner was roast chicken with broccoli and creamy Parmesan cabbage.
Glad your new Fentanyl patch is doing the trick @Riva_Roxaban . There also seems to be a lot of tooth ache on this thread currently, I hope you guys are all more comfortable now.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad your new Fentanyl patch is doing the trick @Riva_Roxaban . There also seems to be a lot of tooth ache on this thread currently, I hope you guys are all more comfortable now.
It's what the paliative care doc starts most of her patients on with bowel cancer.

I have not had a tooth ache for years, that wae after eating a steak burger which knocked a filling out, cost me a arm and a leg when I had a root canal done to fix it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's what the paliative care doc starts most of her patients on with bowel cancer.

I have not had a tooth ache for years, that wae after eating a steak burger which knocked a filling out, cost me a arm and a leg when I had a root canal done to fix it.

Sorry if my post was clumsily written, I know the fentanyl is for your bowel cancer snd I’m full of admiration for the way you’re coping.
The toothache comment was aimed at @Rachox @Annb and @Antje77 but I was too lazy to write all the names at the time!
I agree btw, root canal work is extortionate.

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The toothache comment was aimed at @Rachox @Annb and @Antje77 but I was too lazy to write all the names at the time!
I agree btw, root canal work is extortionate.

I have a temporary fix on my affected tooth, but need to decide in the next few weeks whether to lose the tooth or have expensive root canal treatment which may not work anyway!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Dinner: sweet and sour chicken with cauli rice followed by SF cherry jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a tough choice @Rachox I had 2 teeth out in my 30s as I couldn’t afford the root canal work. I sometimes regret not taking out a loan to pay for it, but at least they don’t hurt now.
Today was a 2mad day:
1) a lovely cobb salad based round yesterday’s leftover chicken and including a bit of everything. Raspberries and 0% Fage to follow.
2) a new recipe ( for me) very nice and had the added bonus of using up some of the capers from the seemingly never ending jar which has been in my fridge since we moved. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/pork-tenderloin-with-olive-tapenade
A DGF cake with several cups of tea now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: cottage cheese with cucumber.
Lunch: creamy chicken and mushroom soup.
Dinner: 2 lamb chops with spinach.

I decided to try out the possible intolerance of wheat to see what would happen. So I had some toast. Result so far - nothing, but I only just had it, so we'll see in the next hour or so.

The garage can't find anything wrong with the Scenic's alternator. They can only suggest that Neil takes the time to check all the electrical circuits - may well take hours so it would be very expensive for a mechanic to try to do it. At least we know we can (at present) keep the car going by keeping a spare, fully charged battery in the boot.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thouroughly tired by now of a diet of paracetamol and ibuprofen and of the taste in my mouth the dry socket gives me. At day 9 now, and it's slowly improving, should be better after 2 weeks according to Dr. Google.

Still, had some very nice meals in the past week :)
On tuesday I had a friend over for helping me finally fixing the rabbit pen; I couldn't do it alone for the throbbing in my mouth every time I bent over or lifted heavy stuff (like the stones needed to secure the repairments of the pen), but both the rabbits and I wanted them to go outside again instead of squatting in my bathroom. :hilarious:

So I cooked us a yummy vegetarian and low carb oven dish of cauliflower, eggs, cheese, vegetarian shawarma and a little crème fraîche while we did our repairs and caught the rabbits in the bathroom :hungry:.
Yesterday was leftovers from the microwave, leaving me with too little for a full meal today.

So today was the last of the cauliflower frittata thing fried with a tomato and some shrimp to make a full meal, very delicious!

As you can imagine, it tasted a lot better than it looked, so instead of a picture of my meal you'll get a picture of a pair of happy bunnies, Blik and Henkie, enjoying their new-found freedom in the pen :)

225062183_10223978215797576_2896719913264599657_n.jpg

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thouroughly tired by now of a diet of paracetamol and ibuprofen and of the taste in my mouth the dry socket gives me. At day 9 now, and it's slowly improving, should be better after 2 weeks according to Dr. Google.

Still, had some very nice meals in the past week :)
On tuesday I had a friend over for helping me finally fixing the rabbit pen; I couldn't do it alone for the throbbing in my mouth every time I bent over or lifted heavy stuff (like the stones needed to secure the repairments of the pen), but both the rabbits and I wanted them to go outside again instead of squatting in my bathroom. :hilarious:

So I cooked us a yummy vegetarian and low carb meal of cauliflower, eggs, cheese, vegetarian shawarma and a little crème fraîche from the oven while we did our repairs and caught the rabbits in the bathroom :hungry:.
Yesterday was leftovers from the microwave, leaving me with too little for a full meal today.

So today was the last of the cauliflower frittata thing fried with a tomato and some shrimp to make a full meal, very delicious!

As you can imagine, it tasted a lot better than it looked, so instead of a picture of my meal you'll get a picture of a pair of happy bunnies, Blik and Henkie, enjoying their new-found freedom in the pen :)

225062183_10223978215797576_2896719913264599657_n.jpg

Would have given you a hug for having to keep taking paracetemol and ibuprofen to deal with the pain, but the rabbits look so cute, I had to give them a "like". Hugs as well, anyway.

Reactions: DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and a cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast. I could not eat it all for some reason so put it the fridge for later.
Had my left over breakfast reheated and put it in a low carb wrap for lunch.
Savoury minced beef, and green veggies for dinner.

Nice rabbits @Antje77, we are not allowed to keep rabbits here in Queensland. I iked to eat tame rabbit as it was a different texture and colour to the feral rabbits here have.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice rabbits @Antje77, we are not allowed to keep rabbits here in Queensland. I iked to eat tame rabbit as it was a different texture and colour to the feral rabbits here have.
I've only eaten rabbits a couple of times but I didn't like the taste much, so I'll be happy just watching them doing rabbity things in their pen :)
Why aren't you allowed to keep rabbits in Queensland?

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Actimel, omelette and butcher's sausages

Lunch: Salad, chorizo and all of the associated pickles followed by a Grenade Killa icecream bar

Dinner: Homemade chicken curry and a small naan break, followed by Grenade Killa bar.

Snacks: Protein ball and peanut butter cup

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I need to go back to Tuesday evening which was a Tomato & Basil omelette.
Brekkie always slice of LC toast and lots of tea. Lunces have settled into a small p,ate of bit of quiche crust cut off/tub M&S salt & pepper calamari/cold meat/cheese with small spoon of coleslaw and chopped cucumber and few cherry toms.
Wed evening was chicken chorizo & red pepper stir fry thing with paprika and cauli rice. Yesterday was Fish Finger Firsday with tenderstem broccoli.
Today having lunch at a pub with elderly friend so hope something light and LC available. Tonight will be bacon wrapped monkfish baked in oven with roasted med veg. Tomorrow supper will be lamb chump chop and remainder of the med veg added to the pan juices. Mr PM will then take over the pan to cook liver which I just can’t deal with, never could. Re toast: I recently discovered that Kingsmill Crusts Away wholemeal sliced is only 7g carbs a slice so not much more than HiLo and a bit bigger.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am away again so catching up a couple of days. This is what I remember
Uninspiring pub lunch of quiche and salad. Left the soggy pastry
Evening, our host said she was doing fish pie, so I asked for no potatoes topping, so she changed it to fillets of fish instead but they came 'dusted ' with flour and served with cauliflower cheese made with flour and onion rings in breadcrumbs :banghead:
Dessert offered was tinned fruit with lemon yoghurt and extra lemon curd :banghead:
Luckily I had brought my own cheese along so shared that and filled up.
B: cheese, such lovely runny brie
L: an iced frappe coffee. I refused syrup but think there was icecream in it, so skipped any food
D: squid and mussels with green beans and courgettes. Cheeses and strawberries to follow. An m&s dark chocolate bar. 68g weight but too sweet and won't bother again

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of the links on this forum are not working again. It's not all my wifi connection to blame.

Breakfast: bacon and eggs.
2nd meal: seared tuna and spinach.

That should be enough for today, I should think.

Rabbit is another thing that is unavailable here. We did keep rabbits some years ago, for the pot but for some reason we stopped. Maybe didn't enjoy the taste after all - I can't remember. It's not an easy meat to make a good meal from, although I know lots of people do use it. We do have wild rabbits around us but they are very small, as are most of the animals that belong here - even cats. When we brought our pet cat with us from the mainland, he was comparatively huge! We were warned to keep close watch on him because locals might think he was a wildcat and shoot at him. It never happened, as far as I know.

Reactions: maglil55