What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Behind again! Monday 26 July bed 6.3 FBG 6.8.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing.
D. Leftover stroganoff from yesterday and celeriac chips. Whey Hey ice cream and raspberries.

Tuesday 27 July - unexpectedly had eldest grandson today and an early start to get DIL to work. Bed 7.4 FBG 7.

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Slice of SLC toast with pate.
D. Chinese kebabs with peppers, mushroom and onion. 1/2 avocado with tomatoes. Grenade Ice cream bar.

Wednesday 28 July bed bed 8.2 FBG 7.6 - no idea why.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and Dairylea.
L. Nothing
D. SLC hot dog with 2 hot dog sausages (1 roll) ketchup, mustard, soft and crispy onions. Grenade Ice cream bar.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Sausages and omelette washed down with an Actimel
Lunch: Salad, babybel, chorizo, etc followed up by raspberries, strawberries and blackberries with yoghurt
Dinner: Mixed shish kebab (no pita), salad and then a Grenade Killa bar after dog walking

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11:00 am a very late ff greek with seedsand 2 strawberries
Hilly dog walk just for an hour
L: pub grilled haloumi and Mediterranean veg. Very small portion for money. 1 scoop ice-cream
D: 2 97%meat sausages from Sainsburys. Courgettes and one grilled tomato. 4 strawberries and cream.1 glass red

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to bed with a bg of 6.5 which was surprising after an indulgent evening which included alcohol and chocolates

Waking was 6.9, so had a busy morning keeping occupied and active in the garden so skipped breakfast and didn't eat until 1:30

Leftover kofta, salad, pepper and dips. Leftover berry jelly and cream

D: grilled spicy chicken thighs with courgettes. Leftover berry jelly (all gone now). One very decent, expensive, dark chocolate violet cream.
given by a well meaning guest. Son has them under lock and key and is allowing me one a day
I loved the occasional violet cream and they were a favourite of my Mum. My absolute favourite was the walnut creams though. Now they'd probably taste hideous.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mushroom omelette and salad ......frustrated as this is my normal food and still can't get morning sugar down grrrrr. Dinner last night tuna steak boiked eggs green beans and salad. I dont deserve 11.3 this morning
It takes time. Morning BGs are usually the last to drop. We're all different but I found having something first thing brought the rather annoying dawn readings down pretty quickly. It's your liver basically dumping sugar into your system to get you up and running.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BG pretty high this morning so I decided to have an early breakfast but then - horrors - I've run out of eggs again. Can't understand that. I was sure I had another dozen in the big fridge. Didn't fancy bacon on its own. Had a potato cake out of the freezer although I did have some mushroom soup in the fridge, which I made yesterday, but I didn't fancy it. BG spiked at 14.3 and so far hasn't dropped very far. I did take extra insulin before I had the potato cake; goodness knows what it would have been without it.

Still hungry, so I will have to have some lunch. I will have the mushroom soup for that. And I have some other chicken and veg soup left over, so might have that later. Soup twice in one day should get the BG down eventually.

The car is currently in the garage to see if they can fit a new alternator to make it more reliable. This time Neil had to deliver it and then walk back into town from the garage to catch a bus home. A bit much for him in his current state of health.

I have to order a soya milk specially for Neil from Amazon - there is only one brand that he feels able to take. For some reason, supplies are being rationed but locally we can't get it any more, so Amazon is the only supplier we can find. I had some delivered today but, although I ordered, and paid for 6 litres, there were only 4 litres in the package! I've put in a complaint and hope I get a satisfactory answer, or some money back. I've ordered more anyway because there is no alternative. Also having problems with soya margarine - we used to buy "Pure" soya marg but the company has stopped producing it because they have insufficient sales of it. I am going to experiment with making our own - other makes have too many ingredients that Neil can't tolerate - but the recipe I have, requires soya milk. Anyone know how to make soya milk?
There's a few recipes kicking about on vegan sites.

This one has few ingredients and the author describes it as "fun".

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/yogurt-recipes/homemade-soy-milk/

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 7.6 FBG 7.3

@DJC3 - oddly I like breakfast pancakes (the souffle ones on my CMT), monk fruit maple syrup and crispy smoked bacon. The bacon & pancakes I could do but I'm out of the monk fruit maple syrup currently.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and Dairylea.
L. Nothing
D. I too had pork ribs @Riva-Roxaban from the butcher but mine were raw. Soaked them in a mix of bourbon, hot sauce and herbs. They were massive. 3 ribs and nothing else. I did have a mini bar of the Lidl dark raspberry later.

elleyouer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG 10.1. Hopefully the highest it will be this week while I’m climbing back on the waggon and eating better.

B. 2 coffees and olives stuffed with anchovies
L. Small bag of chicken fridge raiders.
D. Chicken & Prawn stirfry then strawberries and cream.
Snacks. Monkey nuts, tea and coffee.

Bedtime reading 6.7.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted and filled with ham, coleslaw & cheese. Mug of earl grey tea. Coconut & raspberry dgf slice

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. Peanut butter carb killa choc ice

@maglil55 can you remember roughly how long it takes for taste & smell to return to normal after COVID?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages eggs, and a half a small tin of baked beans for breakfast.
Ham and salad roll, couple of chicken wings for lunch.
Grilled sweetlip fillets, green veggies, chobani fit 15% yoghurt for dinner.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit like the cane toad then. Still, as least the rabbits aren't poisonous. My SIL said they had found cane toads as far south as the north of NSW.
I have seen cats and dogs die after playing with cane toads, the vets can't do a lot for the animal most times.

Any cane toad we see in the back yard gets a dose of salt on it, that kills them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get a chance to post yesterday so a quick recap.
B: keto pancakes ( egg, cottage cheese and a pinch of psyllium husk powder) with 1 bacon, 1 egg and fried mushrooms. I haven’t tried your soufflé pancakes @maglil55 , they look good. These ones are super quick and easy and I agree, very good with crispy bacon.
L: M&S tapas style stuff while helping daughter move house. They have such a good range in their 3 for £7 offer now, I wish we had a store closer.
D- got home much later than I like to eat so quicker thing was salad with everything in it. Sliced roast beef, h/b egg, avocado, olives, spinach, red pepper, chilli sauerkraut. And a spoonful of leftover h/m ranch dressing. Followed up with raspberries and cream
Paul ordered Chinese but I wasn’t tempted in the slightest, it was all in that shiny grey sauce and looked quite unappetising to me.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Strangely, there was no reaction to the bread that I ate - except that it tasted like soggy cardboard. So I guess I am not intolerant to gluten after all, and whatever was causing a problem, it wasn't wheat or even yeast. It was rubbish bread; I knew that at the time. It was just something to make breadcrumbs with for Em's meal for her Mum and Dad (crumbed with a load of parsley and some Aleppo chili to sprinkle over her egg mayonnaise). BG bounced up and down a bit afterwards - odd.

Breakfast: bacon and egg.
2nd meal: will be smoked haddock and some mushy green peas.

Neil is a bit irritated at present - he seems to have fixed the problem with the Scenic's battery, but he doesn't know how he did it!

Edited to add final paragraph

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted and filled with ham, coleslaw & cheese. Mug of earl grey tea. Coconut & raspberry dgf slice

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. Peanut butter carb killa choc ice

@maglil55 can you remember roughly how long it takes for taste & smell to return to normal after COVID?
I was about 4 or 5 weeks. Taste came back first but nasal area still causes problems. Least hint of a cold and my sense of smell goes do-lally. It's the phantom smells that are the worst. I still smell Condor sliced pipe tobacco! (My Dad smoked it hence why I know the smell). Last night I had to have a hot shower and a coat of Vicks before I went to bed as it was bothering me again! I'm OK today though.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was late and a very odd un-breakfasty thing / tin of salmon plus chilli sauerkraut in LoDough wrap. Not something I’ll rush to have again but it filled me up.
Dinner was salad with everything which seems to be my favourite thing atm. 2 glasses of red to celebrate the weekend.
@maglil55 Paul went into town again today and managed to pick up the last 2 of the wild shrimp things from Iceland!

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost my taste and smell with Covid, I tested positive on the 9th July after falling ill the day before. My taste and smell returned quite suddenly a couple of days ago.

Edited for typo

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and carb killa Jaffa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC chocolate and ginger granola.