What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was about 4 or 5 weeks. Taste came back first but nasal area still causes problems. Least hint of a cold and my sense of smell goes do-lally. It's the phantom smells that are the worst. I still smell Condor sliced pipe tobacco! (My Dad smoked it hence why I know the smell). Last night I had to have a hot shower and a coat of Vicks before I went to bed as it was bothering me again! I'm OK today though.

My sense of taste kept coming and going after Covid. It was still a bit dodgy for a brief time last month, but that may well have been the tail end. I keep smelling burning engine oil - not necessarily while in or near the car and not all the time. That still continues - that's since March 2020. I think I am just about over the breathing difficulties now as well. It is obviously different for everyone.

Couldn't find the smoked haddock for my 2nd meal today, so I had plain, unsmoked haddock, baked in the oven with butter and finished with some double cream and some mushy green (frozen) peas. Very nice it was too.

While whatever Neil did to the electrics in the car seems to have fixed the problem with the battery draining all the time, when he was checking the whole system, using 2 different things to measure the current (no idea what they are called), something blew fuses in both of the pieces of equipment, so there's something still wrong with the whole system. I commented that I like the Scenic as a car and he agreed but he says he doesn't like whoever designed and built the electrical system in it - the whole setup is illogical and, in his mind, a complete mess. Logic is something very valuable to Neil with his Asperger mindset.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, cheese omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
Toasted ham and cheese low carb sandwiches for lunch.
Hogget forequarter chops, veggies and gravy for dinner.

First hogget we have seen in the butchers shop for a while, got some taste / flavour behind it. Not much fussed on lamb chops.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ff greek with 4 small overripe strawberries and some new crunchy seed topping (like a museli) from Linwoods. 20g carbs per 100 but a serving is only 20g so 4g. Has honey in but not too sweet, but do find the seeds get stuck in my teeth more than plain ones.

Cafe lunch of cheese salad.. but they added unlisted croutons, grapes, strawberries and pineapple! I despair of UK cafes. Saladwas my only option, from rolls, jackets, pie, cakes and scones

D: just a bit of cheese, 5 olives, 4 cherries, half a tomato and a glass of red

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday: Yoghurt with strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
Brunch of bacon, egg, sausages, tomatoes and then a mid afternoon snack of ham, edam, cucumber
Dinner was three pieces of KFC chicken, with a corn on the cob.

I get the feeling that this next week, I'm going to be slipping. After my holiday, I will refocus myself.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 7.6 FBG 6.8. Had an ironing day again as the weather was a bit more suited to it.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and Dairylea.
L. Nothing
D. GF haggis from the butcher. Been wanting this for a while and finally got some. Had it with cauliflower rosti as I couldn't be bothered making cauli mash. Grenade Ice cream bar.

Saturday bed 5.9 FBG 5.5

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Nothing out shopping.
D. Decided it was time to cook another of my old favourites - DD fish and chips with DD tartare sauce. Got cod loin when I was out. Celeriac chips along with it. I've changed the crumb mix again and this one produced a really crisp coating.

Used equal amounts of golden milled flax and grated parmesan. Added about 2 tbls of sesame seeds and a tlbs of 5 seed mix from Morrisons. Seasonings - salt, pepper, paprika, onion granuals. Really happy with this latest version. Original version

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-fish-n-chips

I'd forgotten how good the tartare sauce with the curry powder was.

Later had a grenade ice cream bar.

@DJC3 - My Iceland seems to sell that version off the Wild Shrimp quickly too. There are other versions but that one is by far the best.

@Annb - Glad to see Neil has solved the issue with the Scenic even if he doesn't know how he did it. I was reading that on top of all the broken down ferries the Air Traffic controllers have gone on strike now so there were no flights to the Islands. You're getting a bit isolated now it seems.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Price cut alert!
Found in Tesco
KIND nut bars usually £2.50 -3.00 for a pack of 3.
Shelf sticker reduced to £1.25 so I bought 4 packs, but they rang up at 63p!!!! Bargain, but be careful as some flavours are much higher carbs than others. The ones I got were in date until end 2022

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today! Sunday 1 August - Gee is it really August already? Bed 6.2 and oddly FBG was 4.7.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with coronation chicken.
L. Nothing. Busy cooking.
D. Usual Campari and soda and toying with having a small prosecco. Made another dish I've not done for a while. Cheesy broccoli stuffed chicken breast. It's really tasty. It's on my CMT but the recipe is below. I bash the chicken breasts out so you can get the stuffing in and seal them better.

gimmedelicious.com/cheesy-broccoli-stuffed-chicken/

I'm having it with a mini cob and a cauliflower/broccoli souffle thing.
To amuse myself, I also made LC creme brulee (another thing I've not made for a while). I'll have one with raspberries if they cool in time. Heck, even if they are warm I'll have one. I have plenty inulin for the crisp top. Again it's on my CMT.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. 2mad again for me:
1)Smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado.
2) slow roasted lamb shoulder https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-roasted-shoulder-lamb a lovely and super easy recipe. I nearly didn’t bother with the gremolata but I’m glad I did, it really added a lovely fragrant zing.
Served with green beans in garlic butter and flakes almonds, cabbage, and turnips from neighbours garden made into this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sliced-turnip-bacon-bake , couple of glasses of red.
Stewed rhubarb and Fage yoghurt for pud.
@maglil55 thanks for the tip off about the DD fish and chips. That’s definitely on the menu for this week.
@garyclark82 enjoy your holiday, are you still measuring bg? I’m going away in a couple of weeks and I’m toying with the idea of leaving my meter at home.
@Riva_Roxaban agree with you on the taste of hogget, but it’s not seen much here either.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with the granola type seeds and 4 cherries. Might have thrown some double cream on top because I knew I had an active day ahead.
Planned 40 minutes dog walk stretched to nearly 2 hours trying a new path through woods that kept ending on cliff edges. Lots of scrambling involved.
L: little gem cups holding Cole slaw , ham , cheese, olives and avocado. A kind nut bar (knew I shouldn't have bought them!)
Another 2 and a half hour walk that managed to include some serious hills, and did involve a mini milk icecream at the end.
D: rumps steak, from Tescos, very good indeed. Cooked in butter. Rinsed pan with cream and wholegrain mustard . Served with green beans and courgette. 4 cherries and a glass of malbec.
My longest most strenuous walk since my injury back in May. Its taking to me now but think its been OK.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and eggs with the remainder of the mushy peas from yesterday.

Meant to be a 2mad day but haven't really felt like making food or felt hungry really. I did have a slice of honeydew melon mid afternoon and then a packet of ready salted crisps to settle my stomach afterwards. So that replaced any thoughts I had about making another meal today. BG has been meandering between 5.9 and 10.1 all day - for no apparent reason.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - Glad to see Neil has solved the issue with the Scenic even if he doesn't know how he did it. I was reading that on top of all the broken down ferries the Air Traffic controllers have gone on strike now so there were no flights to the Islands. You're getting a bit isolated now it seems.

Yes, the airport was closed on Friday, so nothing could get in that way. Very light day for the posties but yesterday was a heavy day for them to try to get all the delayed mail delivered. So far the shops seem to be reasonably well stocked despite the broken down ferries.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and white choc carb killa bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Price cut alert!
Found in Tesco
KIND nut bars usually £2.50 -3.00 for a pack of 3.
Shelf sticker reduced to £1.25 so I bought 4 packs, but they rang up at 63p!!!! Bargain, but be careful as some flavours are much higher carbs than others. The ones I got were in date until end 2022
Did you use your Tesco Clubcard? If so, that would account for the additional 50% reduction.

Reactions: MrsA2

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, cheese and mushroom omelette, tomatoes for breakfast.
Mud crab sandwiches for lunch.
Belly pork strips, green veggies and gravy for dimmer, pot of chobani fit 15% yoghurt, spoon full of two fruit mixed in.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3

I am going to take the meter with me and take morning readings, and if I have anything out of the normal to eat, I will test then. Not going to go overboard.

Yesterday:
Breakfast: McDonalds Sausage and Egg McMuffin (with hash brown, for my sins) and a coffee
Lunch: Chicken breast with salad, leftover fruit and yoghurt with a Grenade Killa bar later
Dinner: Roast pork, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauli cheese with an ice cream bar much later

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and egg.

Lunch: orange and avocado salad. Not much of it, but the half avocado in the fridge needed to be used, as did the small orange I put with it - amazing number of pips in the orange so I ended up with very little flesh.

I will probably have a third meal today, but can't, for the moment think what it might be. I do have some ham to cut up. Maybe that and some salad.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a good holiday plan @garyclark82 I think I’ll probably do similar when I go away.
Today’s food:
B- omelette filled with red pepper, spinach and Parmesan.
L- cobb salad then a lc cupcake topped with a strawberry.
D- https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-asian-cabbage-stir-fry we used to have this a lot, don’t know why I stopped doing it, the wasabi Mayo is great. Another lc cupcake and strawberry.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: liver with bacon and onion with cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate and raspberry granola.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Last night was crispy duck with shredded spring onions, cucumber,a littlecsauce and no pancakes. Today had late lunch of cold roast beef with smidgen of horseradish and desspoon coleslaw. Tonight roasted corn fed chicken breast with tender stem broccoli.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Last night was crispy duck with shredded spring onions, cucumber,a littlecsauce and no pancakes. Today had late lunch of cold roast beef with smidgen of horseradish and desspoon coleslaw. Tonight roasted corn fed chicken breast with tender stem broccoli.

Have you given up the HiLo toast and butter?