What is happening with our nhs

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Sorry to say this, but since the pandemic things have may have taken it's toll.
Seeing a gp doesn't seem to happen, just a phone call if your lucky. DSN appointments don't happen. I don't think it ever will again. Surely they are all being paid still. Might as well just ask google.
Will it ever get back again. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you are generalising based on your personal experience.
I have seen a GP the day after I called for an appointment, had retinal scans, had face to face meeting with my diabetes team.
I have also received a test about the upcoming flu jab and covid boost.

To be honest, I prefer the phone consultations to sitting in a waiting room full of ill people waiting for a late appointment.
I have been amazed how well my local NHS have managed during such a horrendous pandemic.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had absolutely no issues with my GP or hospital team. Have needed them both over the last 18 months and both have been great. We only ever hear the negatives unfortunately. My 87 year old father went for knee consultant appointment in February, had replacement done April. As an extended family we have had blood tests, scans and important investigations throughout this time. Incidentally we do not all live in the same town.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think its very dependent on your local area, I know I've had a number of phone calls (instead of actual appointments), but if they've needed to actual poke and prod to find out something I have actually been told to go along.
My yearly diabetic check (in November) was on time, first half I went in for the blood test, foot checks, everything else checks as normal, 2nd half was on the phone instead of in person (my surgery does it in two halves - second half any results are discussed with the DN).

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had no problems. I haven't needed any in-person appointments with a GP but have had phone consultations and done online consultations and have been for blood tests. I've had phone appointments with DSNs and my consultant, if I have a problem I phone the DSNs and get a call back, usually within an hour, sometimes it's within a few minutes. Some of my non-diabetes hospital appointments were cancelled or changed to phone consultations, but I did have an in-person appointment last year, I was meant to be seen every 6 months and it was a year between appointments but I didn't have any problems or anything, I'm sure they would've fitted me in, if I had needed to be seen.

Reactions: T1DM2012

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My area has been variable. My GP surgery wasn't great (they struggle with anything IT based) but I've had a few hospital appointments after the initial delay. My diabetic retinal scan is booked for Nov (16 mths later than planned) but my foot checks resumed at the start of this year. I also had a face-to-face neurology appt and a tilt table test due to presyncope/syncope episodes.

I did wonder, rather grumpily, about my GP getting extra money for diabetic patients if they weren't seeing us for over a year but it seems that all relates to targets now so if they don't see us they don't get it?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my annual review on time last week. Saw the DN and got the foot check, weighed, blood test etc.
I think phone calls to the GP will continue as a triage, which seems a good idea if it means they can spend more time with really ill.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetic reviews and blood test as usual ,very helpful receptionist on phone. Telephone call with GP same day as called I think that they are doing a good job
Carol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seeing a gp doesn't seem to happen, just a phone call if your lucky. DSN appointments don't happen. I don't think it ever will again.
Have you contacted your GP and your DSN to let them know you really would like a face to face appointment, and explained your reasons why a phone appointment won't do?

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All I can say, over the past eighteen months, my GP has been absolutely brilliant.
I had a stay in hospital twice and the nurses, doctors and ancillary staff were spot on.
I have had counselling sessions, I have seen a neurologist and discovered that I have been diagnosed with another condition. I've had numerous blood tests, scans, and cat scan. I've seen my dsn and my diabetes eye check.
The list grows because I have a big family and when needed they have been there.

It's a pity, because if we're not careful, the NHS is always there to be picked off by outsourcing and private sector companies. And more importantly the American health insurance companies.

I have heard that this government is going to start asking for payment for prescriptions for those over 60!

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a mixture, been “ill” a lot this last year, hospital has always been pretty amazing apart from a tiny gripe non COVID related, GP surgery has been pretty rubbish, they are too busy to answer the phone? when I gave up after being number one in the queue for half a hour, went to window to find four people sitting in reception chatting, there have been lots of occasions similarish, if no one has been getting in or going to GP, what exactly are they busy doing? I have a great deal of respect for front line staff, there’s nothing front line about my surgery, they are way behind the front line, wrapped up in Fort Knox. Just my opinion

Reactions: ROSIETIA

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mixed response here, some is definitely down to covid "excuses" but some would have been poor care anyway, some would have been better. It is pot luck, even within this one surgery area

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have had a mixture, been “ill” a lot this last year, hospital has always been pretty amazing apart from a tiny gripe non COVID related, GP surgery has been pretty rubbish, they are too busy to answer the phone? when I gave up after being number one in the queue for half a hour, went to window to find four people sitting in reception chatting, there have been lots of occasions similarish, if no one has been getting in or going to GP, what exactly are they busy doing? I have a great deal of respect for front line staff, there’s nothing front line about my surgery, they are way behind the front line, wrapped up in Fort Knox. Just my opinion
Reckon that's how it will be from now on. Once covid is finished, it will carry on being like this.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I think you are generalising based on your personal experience.
I have seen a GP the day after I called for an appointment, had retinal scans, had face to face meeting with my diabetes team.
I have also received a test about the upcoming flu jab and covid boost.

To be honest, I prefer the phone consultations to sitting in a waiting room full of ill people waiting for a late appointment.
I have been amazed how well my local NHS have managed during such a horrendous pandemic.
I have not had a retinal screening for over 2years. Despite me having extreme laser treatment a while back.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The surgery has gone into overdrive, I am being bombarded with messages and appointments.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my annual review on time last week. Saw the DN and got the foot check, weighed, blood test etc.
I think phone calls to the GP will continue as a triage, which seems a good idea if it means they can spend more time with really ill.
I am Type1 and haven’t been seen by a doctor, DSN or a GP for nearly 2 years now. Have an appointment with Diabetic Clinic at the hospital in 2 weeks time. The appointment letter clearly says I am to attend personally. Thought I’d just check to make sure and they told me the letter was a mistake as they are only doing telephone appointments! Even the blood tests preceding the appointment have to be arranged over telephone. They hadn’t even bothered to inform me about this. If I hadn’t phoned them I would have been turned away from the hospital. My GP practice only does phone appointments and they too have to be booked on line with no option to select a doctor of your choice or time. I live in Northwest London and NHS services around here have gone down the pan since Covid!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suggest if your surgery has one is to contact your PPG (Patient Participation Group) group and ask them to raise the issue. I'm on our surgery PPG and the surgery has been average thru the pandemic. There won't be a miracle cure as it's NHS we are talking about and surgeries are private companies but it may help.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I suggest if your surgery has one is to contact your PPG (Patient Participation Group) group and ask them to raise the issue. I'm on our surgery PPG and the surgery has been average thru the pandemic. There won't be a miracle cure as it's NHS we are talking about and surgeries are private companies but it may help.

Diabell, the PPG may not have a means to do that effectively.

I sit on our PPG. Our last meeting was several months ago. The meeting was well attended by the PPG, but not one member of the surgery staff attended, or sent their apologies. Shocking.

And just as an aside their CQC report dated last month was "Good" across the board.

Hmmmmmmmm.