Do you check BGs of people around you?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a question that has been on mind for a while.

Despite a lot of CGM studies and BG data on non-diabetic, i get intrigued to see how my family member's or friends' BG is going with the similar kind of food that I eat or with a different food they eat (post prandial) or just the fasting.

I tested few of my non-diabetic family members on some occasions, i never found that ideal BG of 4.6 fasting (or 2-3 hours after eating as it is supposed to be). Mostly i find their fasting BGs in upper 5s and 2-3 hours close to 6. They are all non-diabetic and a1c is 32-33.

So basically what i concluded is that their BGs on high carb diet are as good as my personal BG levels on a very restricted carb diet. Essentially with my low carb diet, my BGs are at par or sometimes better than theirs. I know that still doesn't make me non-diabetic, but just the food choices can put you on either side of the line (type-2 of course).

What are your experiences in this?

Edit: With one exception of my nephew who is in his mid 20s and has an a1c of 25. 2 hours after a plate of rice, his BG was at 4.8. So that makes me think that if we are at our ideal a1c which is mid 4s then probably we can go back to normal in 2 hours. However, if we are high carb and snackers with an a1c of mid 30's probably we will never go to mid 4s except after several hours of hunger?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

Despite a lot of CGM studies and BG data on non-diabetic, i get intrigued to see how my family member's or friends' BG is going with the similar kind of food that I eat or with a different food they eat (post prandial) or just the fasting.

I tested few of my non-diabetic family members on some occasions, i never found that ideal BG of 4.6 fasting (or 2-3 hours after eating as it is supposed to be). Mostly i find their fasting BGs in upper 5s and 2-3 hours close to 6. They are all non-diabetic and a1c is 32-33.

So basically what i concluded is that their BGs on high carb diet are as good as my personal BG levels on a very restricted carb diet. Essentially with my low carb diet, my BGs are at par or sometimes better than theirs. I know that still doesn't make me non-diabetic, but just the food choices can put you on either side of the line (type-2 of course).

Edit: With one exception of my nephew who is in his mid 20s and has an a1c of 25. 2 hours after a plate of rice, his BG was at 4.8. So that makes me think that if we are at our ideal a1c which is mid 4s then probably we can go back to normal in 2 hours. However, if we are high carb and snackers with an a1c of mid 30's probably we will never go to mid 4s except after several hours of hunger?
Yes! I tested a male friend a couple of times, and we both started on about the same number prior to eating, but his reduced to 6 after two hours while mine was in the high sevens. Another time though, when he had eaten quite a large meal it came out at 11 which startled both of us! I had not eaten on this occasion.
Thanks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My family and friends run a mile if I ask to stab their fingers! :joyful:
Sorry not helpful!

Reactions: In Response

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry not helpful!
Its funny. I carry my glucometer in family parties. One i took it with me on a wedding party - i know its a crime. I was almost about to check bridegrooms BG after the wedding cake :D

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Thanks.
Interesting! For decades the average HbA1c for non-diabetics was 5.4. Even the picture on the Accumeter box showed a reading of 5.4. My HbA1c has ranged between 28 - 30 i.e. averaging 4.8% in old money. I have had a steady diet of 240g of carbs daily since 1966 ! Hope this helps. When I was a student and stabbing a finger, a rugby playing chemist asked me to test him. As soon as I approached he backed off! My inner stature increased tenfold...

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No! If they are concerned then they need to visit a pharmacist or GP. If its just out of interest/fun and you are testing them - suppose you caused them to have an infected finger or did get really high readings? Potentially diagnosing someone could have unknown consequences.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally, unless family/friends ask for it to be checked (off their own back, ie without me mentioning it at all) I do not ask them to, I wouldn't want to pressure them to do anything they didn't want to (after all diabetes is my problem to deal with,. not theirs)

Reactions: lucylocket61

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My wife once asked me to test her. She is pre-diabetic (never been diabetic) And I was back down into the pre-diabetic HbA1C's at that time. I forget the readings, but they were similar. We often eat exactly the same meals (though she eats much more fruit and carby snacks than me)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
never found that ideal BG of 4.6 fasting (or 2-3 hours after eating as it is supposed to be).
Where do you get this figure?

Normal blood sugar levels are around 5.5 and under about 7.5 two hours after eating. Everyone is different, meal composition and length affects these figures, as does health and stress, even if non diabetics.

I have only tested my son, a couple of times, using a fresh lancet each time, at his request.

Reactions: pinkfoot

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you get this figure?

Normal blood sugar levels are around 5.5 and under about 7.5 two hours after eating. Everyone is different, meal composition and length affects these figures, as does health and stress, even if non diabetics.

I have only tested my son, a couple of times, using a fresh lancet each time, at his request.
These are Dr. Bernstein's research and looking at several old studies, it seems to be true provided you are on low carb i suppose?

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get volunteers and i declare my interest and bias so its purely for my personal research so if anyone agrees from the folk, why not? Definitely, i won't be pushing someone to prick their finger. I found it interesting that when i mention, several people would be curious to know their blood sugar levels. Definitely, i don't diagnose and i never found anything alarming either.

PS: I always use fresh lancets for testing family members.

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have occasionally tested my partner's levels but not in relation to any specific food.
He does not have diabetes or any other health condition. He is not overweight and is pretty fit and active.
He eats a normal diet with regard to carbs - the sort of diet that low carbers would call "high carb" but he also eats lots of fresh veg, fish, dairy, meat, etc mostly cooked from scratch and not ultra-processed.

His level seems to be 5.1 or 5.2 all the time (either fasting or within an hour of eating) unless he has just completed a cycle ride when his levels are in the high 3s.

Apart from "he does not have diabetes", I have drawn no conclusions although it is interesting that a cake, bread, pasta eater does not have levels as high as Bernstien and his cronies are suggesting he "should".

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No! If they are concerned then they need to visit a pharmacist or GP. If its just out of interest/fun and you are testing them - suppose you caused them to have an infected finger or did get really high readings? Potentially diagnosing someone could have unknown consequences.

I don't think the recipients (ie the poster's family/friends) would have volunteered out of 'concern', more like interest. Either way I'm sure if a result had come back high they would have gone to the Drs rather than bury their head in the sand, which would be better than the alternative, still getting a high level but completely unknowing. As for an infected finger..well....I never get one so there's no reason they should from one prick from a new needle.

Reactions: HSSS

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Sorry not helpful!
When I had GD some 27 years ago I asked the consultant why my husband’s blood sugar always stayed at 4.8 - he looked at me and said - how do you kno ? So I replied - I test him. He then turned to my husband and said - are you insane ? Lol. PS I did used to buy extra strips just in case you are gonna tell me I was wasteful. Lol. X

M

Member496333

I’d be more interested to know their insulin levels but since there’s no commercially available testing equipment this is not possible. Most people will have fairly normal glucose right up until they don’t. Normal glucose doesn’t mean you’re not a slow motion metabolic car crash. If health providers routinely checked insulin it would expose a massive problem of diabetic pathology in situ. Wouldn’t mind betting 50% of the population.

TLDR; no.

Reactions: LeftPeg

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I have occasionally tested my partner's levels but not in relation to any specific food.
He does not have diabetes or any other health condition. He is not overweight and is pretty fit and active.
He eats a normal diet with regard to carbs - the sort of diet that low carbers would call "high carb" but he also eats lots of fresh veg, fish, dairy, meat, etc mostly cooked from scratch and not ultra-processed.

His level seems to be 5.1 or 5.2 all the time (either fasting or within an hour of eating) unless he has just completed a cycle ride when his levels are in the high 3s.

Apart from "he does not have diabetes", I have drawn no conclusions although it is interesting that a cake, bread, pasta eater does not have levels as high as Bernstien and his cronies are suggesting he "should".

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I think that means he won’t ever go over to the other side lol. My husband’s blood always stays within a point or 2 of 5 now. He used to always b 4.8 lol. X.
He has actually gone for some bloods today with a request for an a1c; I said to him well we kno you are not Diabetic lol. X.

Reactions: In Response

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Apart from "he does not have diabetes", I have drawn no conclusions although it is interesting that a cake, bread, pasta eater does not have levels as high as Bernstein and his cronies are suggesting he "should".
Great. I think it makes sense to have your BG as close to 5 as possible in fasting or fed stat. Dr. Bernstein says that your BG should be around 83 mg/dl (4.7 mmol i guess) round the clock. He also says if a food raises your blood sugar more than 10 gm/dl (roughly 0.6 mmol) then you should look at your food components. That basically means that BG should be very tightly controlled between 4.7 to 5.5 most of the time. Again i would argue that it will differ from person to person. For some people a tight control between 5.5 - 6.5 most of the time is still excellent and in non-diabetic range.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great. I think it makes sense to have your BG as close to 5 as possible in fasting or fed stat. Dr. Bernstein says that your BG should be around 83 mg/dl (4.7 mmol i guess) round the clock. He also says if a food raises your blood sugar more than 10 gm/dl (roughly 0.6 mmol) then you should look at your food components. That basically means that BG should be very tightly controlled between 4.7 to 5.5 most of the time. Again i would argue that it will differ from person to person. For some people a tight control between 5.5 - 6.5 most of the time is still excellent and in non-diabetic range.
And what does Dr B base his ideal BG of 4.7 on?
Seems a bit arbitrary (and low) to me and possibly a way to push his low carb approach where it is not necessary.

Reactions: lucylocket61

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think the recipients (ie the poster's family/friends) would have volunteered out of 'concern', more like interest. Either way I'm sure if a result had come back high they would have gone to the Drs rather than bury their head in the sand, which would be better than the alternative, still getting a high level but completely unknowing. As for an infected finger..well....I never get one so there's no reason they should from one prick from a new needle.

To be honest, I asked my brother's son (35 years old) to get his a1c tested (he doesn't live in UK) because his father had diabetes and it runs in family. Surprisingly, his a1c came back at 5.6%, which is almost a pre-diabetic range in old money. This was three months ago, he started low-carb and lost 10 kgs so far and belly fat. I am interested to see his new results now. So, yes sometimes a small intervention with your family and loved one's could save lives. If only someone asked me to check my insulin levels or BG like 10 years ago, i might have never reached an a1c of 78 :(