What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Well surely this is crazy!
4.8 when I broke my fast at 12.45 but then I actually had a Galaxy chocolate cookie biscuit (testing) and about five or six nuts. I just retested (twice!) and it is 4.5. By the way I didn't enjoy the cookie and won't be having any more of them. They were bought for my daughter :)

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Busy day yesterday, so didn't get a chance to post. Fasting levels were 5.2 yesterday and 5.8 today. Need to get back to exercising more (and maybe eating less).

Thanks all for the welcome back, @DJC3, @ianpspurs, @karen8967, @PenguinMum. I have missed you all.
@ianpspurs -- glad to hear your MIL is off oxygen. Hope she'll consistently get better from here on.
@ultradad -- Consistently great fasting levels -- wonderful achievement.
@garyclark82 -- Super HbA1c results. Really well done.
@DJC3 -- How's life been treating you? For me, yet another semester of Zoom unfortunately. By the end of this semester, students will been having online instructions for two years (which for most of them entails -- continuing to live at home, never having met their co-students and having made new friends, never having attended student parties, and having missed out on all the other stuff that goes along with being away from home for the first time.) It's definitely not a great time to be young.

Last edited:

kiran1122

Fasting levels are not a good predictor or necessarily a good indication of HbA1c as the fasting measurement is a snapshot of blood sugars at one specific time A1c gives a value for the average BS over several weeks and will be effected by levels between the individual tests you may have done.

Remiss of me welcome to the club.

Diagnosis of Diabetes normally requires two A1c tests showing diabetic levels interspaced by several weeks.

So can I monitor HBA1C at home ?

Thanks

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So can I monitor HBA1C at home ?

Thanks
Well if you need to there are home test kits available though as I have never used one I cant swear to their accuracy or ease of use others on this site have used them.

Can I suggest that you start a thread asking about them in the ask a question forum. As we are only supposed to post a small amount of chat in this thread and we are in danger of derailing the thread and getting our wrists slapped:)

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
7.2 - Yesterday 6.6 and went to bed on a 7.1, I’m starting to understand that my mini fluctuations aren’t doing much in driving down my FBG towards 5s, and any semblance of “sustained” lower numbers. Now, I read widely here of how others get to that lower Plateau, I get yah, if I’m to achieve that then I’d need to embrace even more of a tortuous, disciplined lifestyle, I don’t see a way of doing this without it. Now, I’m not being Victim here, I’m being both realistic and, at the same time, providing/lending humanity to me and my Diabetes.

Love y’ll.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.5 which appears to be my new normal.
@Estragon I eat no more than 30g in a day but as FBG crept up try to keep to as close to 20g as possible, then gave up all eating/snacking between meals. For me the restrictions have reached where they can be tolerated. My A1cs are good but I think FBG is not controllable for me.
@bellapodus stay well and take care.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 this morning but mitigated the rise by the fact that my step-kids wanted to celebrate my results from yesterday, so we had gammon, egg and chip shop chips (which I had about a third of a portion of). Very enjoyable and it has not done too much lasting damage to my figures. Back on it today though. Can't let up.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas

Preparing for low carb and fasting after reading the diabetic code by Dr Jason Fung.

Coming off Trulicity (next injection due tomorrow not taking it)

Still on Empagflozin (on 10mg)

Still taking the Metformin 2000 a day

Off to find inspiration for low carb!

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 (2015) or 5.4 (2016) missed 2017 and September 2018. Known unknown today. Retinal scan today - shame talk like a Pirate day is Sunday. Yes, @Estragon and @DJC3 this is a marathon. No there isn't much joy in the food BUT I'm attached to ma limbs (well, they're attached to me), eyes, kidneys and such. So what's a guy to do? Good job I like my vinaigrette with evo, acv and dijon mutard. I'm the king of mackerel salad - >80% of all my main meals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryhia and karen8967

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Preparing for low carb and fasting after reading the diabetic code by Dr Jason Fung.

Coming off Trulicity (next injection due tomorrow not taking it)

Coming off Empagflozin (was on 10mg)

Still taking the Metformin 2000 a day

Off to find inspiration for low carb!
Good luck and look forward to you being a regular here.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
4.9 today I am beginning to wonder if achieving low fbg should be our ambition or keeping our over all levels within range is what should be our main aim going to extremes inorder to maintain a very low fbg may infact be counter productive.

The extremes I went to inorder to get rid of a lot of weight over 8 stones and bring down blood sugars including fbg ie between 600 and 800 calories a day and less than 50 grams normally less than 30 per day of carb for over 18 months did me more harm than good I now think.

Last edited: