What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.9 today I am beginning to wonder if achieving low fbg should be our ambition or keeping our over all levels within range is what should be our main aim going to extremes inorder to maintain a very low fbg may infact be counter productive.

Makes sense to me.

The extremes I went to inorder to get rid of a lot of weight over 8 stones and bring down blood sugars including fbg ie between 600 and 800 calories a day and less than 50 grams normally less than 30 per day of carb for over 18 months did me more harm than good I now think.

When I was first diagnosed I went so low-carb that my weight and BP went down but my cholesterol went up. :(

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.6 this morning, yay! I have it figured out now, it is not so much DP as CP. So, based on my experiment this morning: wake up but don't get up, don't check FBG. Instead, lie in bed for an hour calmly petting cat and laughing at e-mails, etc. THEN check FBG.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.6 this morning, yay! I have it figured out now, it is not so much DP as CP. So, based on my experiment this morning: wake up but don't get up, don't check FBG. Instead, lie in bed for an hour calmly petting cat and laughing at e-mails, etc. THEN check FBG.

That is a brilliant strategy. Love it!

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 today I am beginning to wonder if achieving low fbg should be our ambition or keeping our over all levels within range is what should be our main aim going to extremes inorder to maintain a very low fbg may infact be counter productive.

The extremes I went to inorder to get rid of a lot of weight over 8 stones and bring down blood sugars including fbg ie between 600 and 800 calories a day and less than 50 grams normally less than 30 per day of carb for over 18 months did me more harm than good I now think.

I think you are probably right, I don’t think going to extremes to achieve very low fbg can be helpful in the long run.
Wow! 8 stone though!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 (2015) or 5.4 (2016) missed 2017 and September 2018. Known unknown today. Retinal scan today - shame talk like a Pirate day is Sunday. Yes, @Estragon and @DJC3 this is a marathon. No there isn't much joy in the food BUT I'm attached to ma limbs (well, they're attached to me), eyes, kidneys and such. So what's a guy to do? Good job I like my vinaigrette with evo, acv and dijon mutard. I'm the king of mackerel salad - >80% of all my main meals.
I thought that "Talk like a pirate day" must have been last week. We went down to Whitby with the grandkids on Saturday and there were quite few fellas walking around the port area dressed as pirates.

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a 5.7 this morning - first one I have seen in a fortnight. Libre ran out and I used finger sticks - now wondering if the Libre sensor was not quite right as my numbers have been generally higher the whole fortnight - I thought it was return to work stress!! Either way I am happy to see it. Other checks through the day have also been back where they should be. Taking a break from obsessing/Libre as the past two weeks have been quite unnecessary..

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today, way too early to be up. I’ve been awake a couple of hours but it doesn’t look like I’ll get back to sleep now.
@1970clea I don’t find the Libre very accurate, current one is reading about 1mmol higher, previous one was about 2mmol lower! I like it for watching trends though and spotting spikes I might have missed by finger pricking at set times.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's say I was 5.5 as per 2015 or 5.4 as in 2016 or 4.7 in 2018. Would I eat or exercise any differently? Nope. So fbg probably in the same range. Like many here I am boxed in by what I will force myself to eat and the state of my aged body. IF from 6 pm to 11 am, salmon salad on Friday (mackerel 5 days, ersatz Sunday roast) aim for 1k steps an hr for 12-14 hrs and any resistance ex I can manage. Drink mucho Assam. Rinse and repeat. I'll fit a new Swipey Monday but routine unlikely to change.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
CP sounds much more enjoyable..way to go!