Morrisons' carby cheese

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morrisons sells Greenside Grated Mix Cheese, 500g for £2.50. I have found to my cost this has 4.1g of carbs per 100g. Compare Cathedral City grated cheese, only 1.6g per 100g. But £2.00 for 180g. It seems the cheaper cheese should be avoided.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes with grated cheese, they add potato starch or cornstarch to stop it sticking together. I've basically given up on shredded cheese, and just go for blocks or slices.

Reactions: Lainie71 and coby

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morrisons sells Greenside Grated Mix Cheese, 500g for £2.50. I have found to my cost this has 4.1g of carbs per 100g. Compare Cathedral City grated cheese, only 1.6g per 100g. But £2.00 for 180g. It seems the cheaper cheese should be avoided.
The ingredients contain potato starch so that’s the reason. So does the cathedral city, just less I would guess, which might lead to the cost difference here as you are getting less cheese probably (plus the branding mark up)

At least unless it’s from the deli at least we can check ingredients. Although I guess the deli has those too :)

For normally low/zero carb cheese then you’ll need to grate yourself as @Geordie_P says, they need something to stop it sticking back together

at least for both of these according to the ingredients it actually is cheese. Some of what passes for cheese, is pretty scary

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But did it affect your blood sugars?
With the amount of fat in cheese to slow down carb absorption, I would not be surprised if 4 or 5% of carbs would have much impact.

I always buy a block of cheese (as strong as possible) and grate it myself. It seems to be cheaper, I can chose how fine I want the grating, can use it for other things that don't need gratings and now I know I am paying for cheese rather than potato starch.

Reactions: DJC3 and EllieM

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have found no matter what the product is the cheaper versions usually have more carbs , It's a case of you get what you pay for !

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Always read the ingredients on grated cheese. I used to get some which was cheese only, but I don't remember what or where from.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Just an aside on this thread: I love cheese, but does anyone here have any idea of how cheese contributes to cholesterol levels?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My cholesterol levels came down when I ate less carbs and higher fat and it has stayed about the same for the last 10 years or so .I eat lots of cheese, toasted for breakfast every day cheese and leek omelette once a week, cheese crisp s with a burger ,a chunk of cheese with nuts for a snack .but that is just my story
Carol

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol levels came down when I ate less carbs and higher fat and it has stayed about the same for the last 10 years or so .I eat lots of cheese, toasted for breakfast every day cheese and leek omelette once a week, cheese crisp s with a burger ,a chunk of cheese with nuts for a snack .but that is just my story
Carol

Your food sounds delicious! What do you have your breakfast toasted cheese on?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
With the amount of fat in cheese to slow down carb absorption, I would not be surprised if 4 or 5% of carbs would have much impact.

I always buy a block of cheese (as strong as possible) and grate it myself. It seems to be cheaper, I can chose how fine I want the grating, can use it for other things that don't need gratings and now I know I am paying for cheese rather than potato starch.
I agree with you on this, and often just cut off a chunk to eat with my fingers and a few nuts to accompany it

Reactions: In Response

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I do the same. I grate a big block of cheese each week and store it in a Tupperware in the fridge to use when I want.

Reactions: In Response

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of interest I had a look at the generic home brand shredded cheese that I get, it has less than 1% carbs per 100 grams in it.

So the anti caking agent "cellulose" in it is very near zero carbs.

7r3vxlk.jpg

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cathedral City Extra Mature Cheese 350g only has 0.1 grams of carbs per 100g. Its what i use and the extra protein and fats come in handy :) and it only costs £2.50 for a block

Reactions: Languagelearner

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your food sounds delicious! What do you have your breakfast toasted cheese on?
I have it on a slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread at the moment but will have to find. another low carb bread soon !
Carol

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have it on a slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread at the moment but will have to find. another low carb bread soon !
Carol

Thanks, I used to love that bread. I can’t get it where I live now though.
I’m experimenting with a couple of on line low carb bread suppliers: Seriously low carb and keto fitness club, both are ok and better toasted than plain I think.
Cheese on toast for lunch then I think!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
:)
Just out of interest I had a look at the generic home brand shredded cheese that I get, it has less than 1% carbs per 100 grams in it.

7r3vxlk.jpg

Tasty, eh?
Not one for the sharp cheese then.:)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

"Tasty" seems an odd name for a type of cheese. Is there another variety called "Tasteless'?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an aside on this thread: I love cheese, but does anyone here have any idea of how cheese contributes to cholesterol levels?
It lowered mine when I abandoned low fat products.