Type 2s What motivates you to control by diet?

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm already on four medications for genetic conditions outside of my control, so I don't want to add to them! Also I would like to reach retirement age.

Reactions: MrsA2

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I don't understand how anybody who knows that the continually increasing medication route doesn't get you to remission, wouldn't also fight for them!
My brother- major depression/life events not of his making. His focus was on surviving the only way he could. Food was his comfort.

Now he is in insulin he feels so much better, because his sugars are finally under control, that he is able to deal with his depression, and in turn making healthier food choices himself.

Mental health issues can be a major factor in choices, as can trauma, or multiple overwhelming issues to deal with at the same time.

I control my diet because I feel so much better physically, mentally and emotionally when I eat as few carbs as my other health issues permit.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@zand I echo that sentiment! The look on the medics faces when you do the exact opposite of what they tell you and you are able to reverse a condition that is progressive and only alleviated by increasing drug therapies. When I informed the practice nurse what I was going to do I was told that I would be killing myself if I didn't take the pills on offer and that I was not medically trained so what did I know!?!!! It was quite difficult at the next appointment with her not to say "obviously more than you do about type 2 diabetes".
My main reason now is how well I feel I have lost the excess weight and put my diabetes into remission.

Yes you just reminded me of my initial motivation. When diagnosed, it was obvious to me that the low fat , 5 a day, eat lots of whole grains that my GP and the NHS advised hadn't done any good for me. While eating that way my weight had increased form lower end of normal BMI to slightly overweight, I'd had a 3x CAB and then Type 2. And all the GP and nurse said was to do more of the same!
So once I heard about low carb I was determined not to follow their dietary advice any more. But that satisfaction was short lived once my HbA1C, BMI and energy levels were back to how they should be.
The thing that still annoys me is that both GP and nurse say that what I have done is not something that other patients could do. - Well obviously since they don't bother to tell them its got about a 50% success rate and that without permanent weight loss or low carb medication alone is a one way street.
I'm sure it would cost less to provide a simple BG meter and enough test strips to find which foods to avoid rather than keep on with more and more meds like Glic and Insulin. Especially so since once on those a meter and test strips need to be provided in any case!

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why diet rather than meds...?

I didn't want my husband to be a young widower, which was the way things were going. But I responded very badly to medication (first metformin, then gliclazide). So I had to find another way. Diet was one that stuck.

Once I'd make the choice to learn about low carbing, I also found that it was a better way to avoid complications/progression later on. I've seen people lose limbs and later lives in rather horrible ways due to their uncontrolled blood sugars. I want to spare myself that, and more than that, I want to spare my husband having to care for me through that. He's given up enough when he decided he wanted to marry me, after all. ;) Taking care of myself is the least I can do.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Simply put, I don’t wish to become diabetic again. Once was enough.

Plus who in their right mind would swap steak & eggs for bread? :shifty:

Hmmm.... only half way down the thread, but a steak and egg sandwich would float my boat.
Not eating bread is still a strong act of self denial.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just competitive and see it as a challenge to eat LC which is mainly a chore. I just hate losing anything at any time be it limbs, eyes, games with grandchildren or managing T2 by diet. Nothing very noble, just want a W in the result column. Agree with @LittleGreyCat re bread - I'll swerve the steak and eggs without batting an eyelid.

Reactions: shelley262

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm 13+ years in and on maximum Metformin dose of 2,000 mg.
I worked my way up to this over the years.
Not overweight and I was overweight but not obese on diagnosis.

My initial motivation to go diet and exercise was a fear of needles.
The thought of having to inject insulin terrified me so I looked at the other options.
Fear of needles has waned because of people sticking them in me from time to time, and finger pricking.

At the moment I am trying to avoid the next stage of medication because anything that is glucose lowering carries with it various dietary penalties and daily risks.
So fear initially, and now I have found something that works I am trying to stay motivated and put off the next stage of medication for as long as possible.
Libre 2 helps a lot.

SuBelcanto

Like an earlier poster, I went cold turkey 4 weeks ago on diagnosis and cut out all sugar. Blurry vision and neuropathy is all the motivation I needed to start losing weight as I don't want to go down that route. It's hard to ignore the cakes at work but I don't trust myself to only eat a small portion. One day I may trust myself and I will probably find it too sickly sweet (hopefully!).

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just competitive and see it as a challenge to eat LC which is mainly a chore. I just hate losing anything at any time be it limbs, eyes, games with grandchildren or managing T2 by diet. Nothing very noble, just want a W in the result column. Agree with @LittleGreyCat re bread - I'll swerve the steak and eggs without batting an eyelid.
Yes I agree with you re steak and eggs. It would be wonderful to like them, but I just don't.

Reactions: lucylocket61

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree with you re steak and eggs. It would be wonderful to like them, but I just don't.
It never occurred to me to eat steak and eggs together. Like wearing pyjamas to bed, just overkill. From avoiding it at all costs I now eat fish about 6 days a week (in a salad, cooked LC largely :eek:) and really, really like salmon - sashimi?:woot:. The change amazes my other half. Recent retinal scan all good and Specsavers gave me a glowing report but I find Elsie none too comely and bat poo crazy in so many ways. She has many admirers though so there must be something I've missed:angelic:

Last edited:

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The joy of being told that my levels were down after three months of hard work is enough to motivate me for 99% of the time. I want to be able to enjoy the rest of my life with my girlfriend, and our family. Losing weight steadily and being able to buy nice branded things that I would not have been able to do before have also given me the kick up the **** I've needed when I'm feeling blue about things.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like an earlier poster, I went cold turkey 4 weeks ago on diagnosis and cut out all sugar. Blurry vision and neuropathy is all the motivation I needed to start losing weight as I don't want to go down that route. It's hard to ignore the cakes at work but I don't trust myself to only eat a small portion. One day I may trust myself and I will probably find it too sickly sweet (hopefully!).
Pretty likely you will and eventually you'll likely stop even thinking of that stuff as "food".

Reactions: coby and MrsA2

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
Being scared witless of going on insulin as my levels went to 116 as that’s what they wanted me on. I refused and asked for 3 months grace to try and bring them down. I got a month and I did lower it but they offered dapagliflozin to see if that would help further. I asked to be on it for a year only and went low carb into the bargain, much to the horror of the older nurse as she freaked at the fat intake, younger nurse was fine with it and gobsmacked at my weight loss in 12/13 weeks.

My year is up in November and we’ll see what they say. I’ll most likely have to say I do not consent again.

I discovered I could go down to 50g of carbs a day without a hypo. I can fast as long as I don’t take it or i hypo. I reported all of my findings to the GP and the yellow card.

Oh and I’ve no gallbladder either, removed 5/6 weeks ago and I’m still low carbing mostly under 75g a day.

I don’t mind needles per say but injecting daily is a no. Plus I saw what it did to my late mother. Her insulin was increased because she still ate from the eat well plate as it was called then. She never lost weight but gained snd it was the insulin that was doing it and all they did was increase it along with her other meds she took. She eventually died because of a diabetic coma that brought on a stroke. She was only 69.

Onlinecaroline

Watching my father lose toe after toe, eventually both of his legs, his eyesight and a kidney and eventually passing at the age of 55. Being diagnosed at 33 and knowing if I don’t follow the diet I would likely end up like him. Although I enjoy eating this way, I do fear that the restrictive nature/ compulsion to do so isn’t good for my own mental health.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food relationships are complicated and everybody has their own triggers. Different periods in life also have an impact - In 2012 I started treatment for high blood pressure and decided to ‘get a grip’, joined slimming world, lost 5st and took up running. Roll on to 2016 and I was diagnosed with an eating disorder, my BMI had dropped to 18 and I was controlling my life through a very harsh regime of exercise and restrictive eating. Roll on to 2021, my BMI is 33 and I have a diagnosis of T2. To be honest, after having a few weeks of T2 tantrums (why me, not doing it etc), I am now set for low card, monitoring blood sugar levels and positive attitude for control. BUT I know that, at the moment, my will power against carbs (not just sugar) is low, so hubby is all set to be the voice of reason and support to keep me going. Fingers crossed this strategy will work for me.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A number in the pre-diabetic range was enough to motivate me. I watched my granddad suffer various diabetic complications through the 1970s, eventually dying without his legs when I was about 18.

Currently a friend (a few years younger than me) is in hospital, pretty immobile, minus most of their toes on one foot, and still talking about 'being naughty' and 'favourite treats' of the sugary/cakey/fast food type. I do not want that for me.

Also, regular medication and Dr wrangling is a faff I'd rather avoid as much as I can.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Keeping my eyes and toes and generally being far healthier than I used to be.
The thought of loss of toes, eyes etc scares the holy c**p out of me plus getting to the size I was before diagnosis and the way I was feeling physically also.

andromache

It never occurred to me to eat steak and eggs together. Like wearing pyjamas to bed, just overkill. From avoiding it at all costs I now eat fish about 6 days a week (in a salad, cooked LC largely :eek:) and really, really like salmon - sashimi?:woot:. The change amazes my other half. Recent retinal scan all good and Specsavers gave me a glowing report but I find Elsie none too comely and bat poo crazy in so many ways. She has many admirers though so there must be something I've missed:angelic:
Don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it, Ian. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it, Ian. :)
True but I'm never going to try it (steak and eggs). Those that enjoy it, or wearing PJs, good on ya. Me and Elsie stay together for the sake of the limbs, eyes etc, etc - loveless relationship. Grandpa was right about putting lipstick on pigs (and so much else) Chac'un .......

Last edited:

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of things motivated me , getting rid of my constantly bad stomach and wanting to be able to see for a lot longer. Lately, my best mate having a massive heart attack aged 47, we buried him a week ago. As I'm getting older the simple things really mean a lot to me, good friends, travel and pursuing my passions, sea fishing and amateur radio.
I was once a taxi driver and I had a lovely older couple in one night, the gent couldn't talk due to a stroke, but his wife explained they loved to travel and couldn't do so now due to her husband's failing health, for some reason this resonated with me and I can never forget it.