What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning assorted carbdodgers from far and wide. Lesser festival for Henry Martyn today. I should have googled him years ago but hey, better late than never. Swipey assessed the damage as worthy of a 5.5. Ouch, Right at my personal point where the level of control is outweighed by the lack of energy, minimal pleasure and family inconvenience of Elsie. However, God has given me time to resolve those issues so I give thanks and move on. @dunelm good find of the Dickens and splendid art. My condolences on the dual loss of your son's company (sons are like trees and shrubs, one never quite realises just how big they will become and how much care they will need for so many years)* and that Wonder Wheel. You seem to be bearing up remarkably well. Must be that military training. @gennepher mixed bag there. Great creative inspired by a rollercoaster optician visit. Please forgive me having a schoolboy mind which pounced on " shove a camera up my drains." - far too lads, lads, lads at times. @Krystyna23040 please listen to the sound words of wisdom from Mr K - what a man. Fitbit says walkies so laters my carblite chums.
* my, but I do love their fruit. So much pleasure therefrom

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning assorted carbdodgers from far and wide. Lesser festival for Henry Martyn today. I should have googled him years ago but hey, better late than never. Swipey assessed the damage as worthy of a 5.5. Ouch, Right at my personal point where the level of control is outweighed by the lack of energy, minimal pleasure and family inconvenience of Elsie. However, God has given me time to resolve those issues so I give thanks and move on. @dunelm good find of the Dickens and splendid art. My condolences on the dual loss of your son's company (sons are like tress and shrubs, one never quite realises just how big they will become and how much care they will need for so many years)* and that Wonder Wheel. You seem to be bearing up remarkably well. Must be that military training. @gennepher mixed bag there. Great creative inspired by a rollercoaster optician visit. Please forgive me having a schoolboy mind which pounced on " shove a camera up my drains." - far too lads, lads, lads at times. @Krystyna23040 please listen to the sound words of wisdom from Mr K - what a man. Fitbit says walkies so laters my carblite chums.
* my, but I do love their fruit. So much pleasure therefrom

I know whose drains I would like to shove that camera up @ianpspurs

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who brave elements today.
A sprightly 5.4 on that meter of ……

Here in Tilehurst Towers after a brief foray into the covid capital of the south, Reading, will be a day of dealing with various communications from the GP’s, Department of Health and the DVLA or whatever they are called now. On the positive the sun, our local fusion reactor is shinning at the moment making Mrs J’s flowers in her multitude of pots and planters look really nice. If left to me the pots would be history, but then I would miss out on her display.
Must go and appease Mrs J now by getting dressed. No @ianpspurs I am not typing this in the buff.
Stay safe all.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.6

Yesterday was a bit of a rollercoaster of a day.

I had the opticians in the morning. I had the OCT test, paid a tenner for that. We still do not have diabetic retinopathy tests in Wales. They have not resumed doing them since they stopped them because of Covid. So, I thought having the OCT test would be better than nothing.

I do not appreciate this opticians sense of humour/the way he put information over. Right, here's the bad news he says. You have cataracts forming here, and you will need an operation. A long pause. But, the good news he says, is you won't need the operation for many many years (I am thinking I will probably be dead by then so this won't be a concern to me). Now here is more bad news. You have had a hemorrhage in your left eye. That's a stroke, he said. But the good news, he says, is that it happened a few weeks ago and it is healing. In a couple of weeks you wouldn't know it was even there. If this appointment had been a couple of weeks later, I wouldn't have been able to see it, he said.

He did all the other stuff they do, and pronounced my eyes were in very good condition, my eyesight was good, he was very pleased with it.

Apparently the haemorrhage in the eye can be caused by me lifting something heavy, or stress. And it can be accompanied with blurred vision. But I didn't have that.

I decided, most likely it was stress. AH neighbour, and also Popeye. Oh, and also Mr Insensitive neighbour (of the Xmas strobe flashing lights) who blocked our shared drains a couple of weeks ago.

The water board were waiting for me when I got back. They wanted permission to shove a camera up my drains. I said okay. After inspection the guy said there was no problem for me, and he had finished. But some time later I noticed their big van was still outside my house and their small van was blocking the neighbour's driveway on the side nearest me, so I went out. He came out of the big van. It's all okay for you, he said, the Waterboard's paperwork I have to do takes far longer than the job. You can go back in, don't worry if you see the van here for a bit, you have nothing to worry about for the drains on your property.

The Mr Insensitive (Xmas flashing Lights, drain blocker neighbour) was not in his bungalow. Neither car was there.

I went back inside and went to bed. I was tired after the optician's appointment. I woke up a couple of hours or so later. The Waterboard's vans were still outside. No sign of Mr Insensitive neighbour's cars yet.

I had some shopping still in my car (fortunately not fridge stuff), so, I wasn't going to get it until the waterboard had gone. I didn't want to walk into something developing if Mr Insensitive returned home.

So creative this morning is the eye and optician's, and the eye camera in drains...my take on it.

Have an interesting day. I intend to relax and chill out. It is pouring with rain. It was yesterday, and still the heavy machinery noises from AH neighbour's garage. It is not the sound of your normal household DIY machinery, but of heavy more industrial stuff, and it goes on almost non stop for a good few hours every day. I am now beginning to question who is using that machinery and for what purpose. A man in his mid 70's surely doesn't have the energy and stamina to operate this industrial sounding machinery for the long periods it is being used for.

Sorry, I seem to have written a long post (book) again. It was meant to be a short one!

View attachment 51643
Ah, the pleasure that could be obtained by shoving that camera in the direction of either neighbor. Wonder if the water board actually do house to house water boarding on the side at a reasonable price? News about your eye is well to the right on the OK, fine side perhaps. Jolly good illustration of the day.

Reactions: ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely love cityscapes @dunelm

It is not something I normally do, but I have made some gel prints of cityscapes, and I throughly enjoyed doing them.

Looks suspiciously like the Gherkin in the middle of that...

Yes, cityscapes are as interesting and intriguing as paintings of The Tianzi Mountains of China!
Thank you @gennepher and yes, that Gherkin - I took the view from a photo of London.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, the mystery of ye olde beef eating for St Luke's day is solved. The venerable Owen of Ye Guardian (what of?) , a completely trustworthy source, told of a Jester (unkempt but very, very, very well fed and watered) in a red wagon, inscribed with 350m groats a week, touring the shires having previously Telegraphed his intentions. People flocked to him and also bought his specious grouse and something passed off as beef. This he peddled from the back of his wagon with the aid of a potty mouthed mystic called Friar Dom and an oleaginous creature named Govey. The honest (loose use of the word where sales of horses, livestock and flour were concerned) folks of the shires rarely saw or ate actual beef. They gladly snapped up the fantastic deal - well, not the Irish or Scottish so much. People were hurting under an evil tyrant named Gideon (who preferred to be called George) who worked for Lord Call me Dave. Lords of the Manor loved the jocular jester since he distracted the peasants, convinced them some evil spirit called The EU was actually whipping and starving them and probably deflowering their gels. There was also a disease called Momentum stalking the land, giving people peculiar visions. Something about no more Jams - who knows?. Once the side effects of the "Beef" appeared the Jester did the Grand Tour and things became Frosty. Seems 100% legit as an explanation to me.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, the pleasure that could be obtained by shoving that camera in the direction of either neighbor. Wonder if the water board actually do house to house water boarding on the side at a reasonable price? News about your eye is well to the right on the OK, fine side perhaps. Jolly good illustration of the day.

That would be far too good for both of them... @dunelm

That dramatic lead up to the good news about my eyes nearly gave me a heart attack...

Perhaps that optician could be employed for the narrative of "The Revenge of the Starlings (but they sent the Ravens in...)"
The bad news is...but the good news is...
Insert words of your own choice here.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.35am an undeserved 5.4 this morning

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from another beautifully quiet carbon neutral start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of bacon and eggs with roasted tomatoes, asparagus and a topping of avocado came in at 5.2 this am

If you are planning a weekend away, Glasgow is probably not a good choice this weekend unless you want to collar an introductory offer for a heat pump or a carbon neutral cow. 25,000 person waffle shop - will they be arriving by hot air balloon? I didn’t get the invite but there are people that I know that also did not get the invite - I don’t think a big noisy fan sat in my garden will give me much cheer. Girl in the bubble excitedly told me all about the swimming session yesterday; “swimming!” - and that’s all you need to know. I wonder when the panic will set in and the pool close down amid fears of the new Delta plus - it’s sounding more like a script about sorority life for those hipster kids in bleached chicken land.

Another city scape - why not, I shall do at least one more - with the promise of more to come. Remember, green is good, but not as good as koffy.

upload_2021-10-20_6-55-53.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from another beautifully quiet carbon neutral start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of bacon and eggs with roasted tomatoes, asparagus and a topping of avocado came in at 5.2 this am

If you are planning a weekend away, Glasgow is probably not a good choice this weekend unless you want to collar an introductory offer for a heat pump or a carbon neutral cow. 25,000 person waffle shop - will they be arriving by hot air balloon? I didn’t get the invite but there are people that I know that also did not get the invite - I don’t think a big noisy fan sat in my garden will give me much cheer. Girl in the bubble excitedly told me all about the swimming session yesterday; “swimming!” - and that’s all you need to know. I wonder when the panic will set in and the pool close down amid fears of the new Delta plus - it’s sounding more like a script about sorority life for those hipster kids in bleached chicken land.

Another city scape - why not, I shall do at least one more - with the promise of more to come. Remember, green is good, but not as good as koffy.

View attachment 51669
Loving these city scapes @dunelm
May you do quite a few more...

Heat pump?
Not a hope in wotsit here.
I will wear 10 jackets first, and use leccy to boil water.
What else does a person need?
On the farm in my childhood we had no electricity nor gas (nor water either, it was from a well or a pump).
We survived.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

Weather app said sun first thing, but it said Hello then Goodbye...
I rushed out to take a pic of some pink stuff on the clouds, but it had gone dull again.

So a great deal of fartnarkling in Snapseed to get a bright cheery dawn sky...

F2527694-B183-4455-943E-765732E063AC.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. Torrential rain here so no early morning dog walk.
So am relaxing with another coffee before getting ready for work. It is rather nice to be a bit lazy for a change. The dogs don't seem to mind either.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Wednesday fellow carb dodgers whether the weather be fine or whether the weather be not. Thanks for the creative work @dunelm and @gennepher. I obviously have an fbg but since there are no precision instruments* for measuring same I know not what the chuff it is. There seems to have been a rupture in the relationship twixt myself and Elsie since my last set of bloods (which were fine). Oddly, this coincides with "opening up," a stream of illnesses at nursery, COVID in local primary school and now one case in this here close. Heat pumps? If you find a lucky ticket Dishy will give you 1/??????th of the cost. No3 son has one. - pump not ticket. Jabbo#3 for me then orf to Newmarket to see a physio who may well feel I'm taller and a fat so and so compared to his normal clientele, (even though you can see my ribs.) Y'all have a good day now.
* I reckon Swipey is ballpark accurate 8 out 14 days for me after a day settling and giving up for about the last 5. Still a much higher win percentage than Elsie - she works as promised maybe 2 in 7 for me. Oops, how will I actually know given the foregoing? A1c? - which can be a lottery I'm told.

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Happy National Bin day Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who subscribe to the mantra “ Green is good, but not as good as koffy “ Thankyou for that @dunelm .

Another 5.4 this morning hmmmm

Busyish day here in and about Tilehurst Towers, in fact 4 busy days ahead. Who said retirement is relaxing.
Must sign out and take medications and I have been informed by my GP’s that I shall have my 3rd COVID jab on Saturday and later in the year a booster jab???
Have a great day all and remember the stays.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Loving these city scapes @dunelm
May you do quite a few more...

Heat pump?
Not a hope in wotsit here.
I will wear 10 jackets first, and use leccy to boil water.
What else does a person need?
On the farm in my childhood we had no electricity nor gas (nor water either, it was from a well or a pump).
We survived.
Thank you @gennepher and I may well do some more.
No heat pump for us either.

lindisfel

Expert
Thank you @gennepher and I may well do some more.
No heat pump for us either.

All the Maths fail to add up.
Is there going to be enough cheap electricity? Is there going to be enough rare earth materials for the batteries?
Is there ever going to be enough carbon capture to take the extra existing CO2 out the atmosphere.?
They will be pushed into climate modification as a temporary expedient.
I fear for our children's children.

I think the Johnson admin should breed millions of cart horses.and change the speed limit on all roads to 10 miles per hour.
D.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there going to be enough cheap electricity? Is there going to be enough rare earth materials for the batteries?
Is there ever going to be enough carbon capture to take the extra existing CO2 out the atmosphere.?

I think the Johnson admin should breed millions of cart horses.and change the speed limit on all roads to 10 miles per hour.
D.
Ah! Will Dave be doing repeats of The Great Manure Crisis of 1894. Is it 10kg per horse, per day - should provide a whole new job sector. But no, the maths just don’t add up. I see nothing green about heat pumps, electric vehicles and shares in open cast mining in China.

Reactions: ianpspurs

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

D.
Did you see Attenborough talking about the green cities of the future. Fascinating and uplifting. Vertical forests and stunning metal trees. Sadly not likely to happen here.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No FBG this morning
The new to us car was not delivered last night. It came at lunchtime today. BUT it was a different car. MrSlim had wanted this one, but it had sold, so we chose to buy a very similar car, same make and model, but petrol and a different colour. Then it turns out the first car is not sold. Something went wrong with the money side of things is what we were told. So Mr Slim was pleased to get his first choice.
However, it hasn't been valeted, and the inside is not only dirty but scruffy as well. And there is considerable damage to one side with multiple dents and scratches. Its got a manual gearbox so that will take a bit of getting used to, after four years in a automatic.
Poor Errant is looking very miserable today and sneezing, previously he was coughing. He went straight back to bed after his breakfast, usually he insists on going out so he is back to the vet this afternoon. Am sure he will be the perfect patient for this softly spoken and gentle vet.