Where do I start?

Tina6587

Hi all,
My partner is 54 years old and was diagnosed with T2 yesterday. His test measured 52. He has had 2 blood tests.

The practice nurse gave him some very poorly photocopied info sheets and a half hour consult and said she would review in 6 months. He has to follow a low carb diet and although she said max 40g per day she said it would be impossible…….

It is soo sad that he feels he has been diagnosed and kicked out! (which is unlike our g p practice). Understandably it’s a shock and he is a rabbit in headlights right now.

there are so many conflicting sites with advice I am getting my head around what we need to do and I am joining him on his journey.

being totally overwhelmed, can anyone give me a starting point please? I appreciate this is a huge lifestyle change and I have read up as much as possible but just a bit confused right now.

thanks you so- much in advance for anything you can advise.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read the link in my signature.

He is only just in diabetic territory so a few tweaks 8n diet will probably sort him out. Get a meter, vital ti identifying unsuitable foods.

Welcome to the forum, read around and ask questions.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Agree with xfield above: his numbers aren't bad, and if he goes as low-carb as possible, he'll probably be in good shape soon. You don't need to worry about which sites are telling the truth- a blood glucose monitor will give you the hard facts. Eat carbs, he will get worse. Don't eat carbs, he will get better.

The following link is a good primer from a well-respected and knowledgeable member: you won't go far wrong if you follow this.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He has to follow a low carb diet and although she said max 40g per day she said it would be impossible…….

40g a day carbs is achievable ... some do less that 20g of carbs a day. The diet will need to change quite a bit ... others have posted information, I also found the diet doctor website good (you don't need to buy anything). I also found the Low Carb Down Under Youtube informative (the Dr Eric Westman videos give simple rules to follow) ... you will find many others :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
His test measured 52. He has had 2 blood tests.

The practice nurse gave him some very poorly photocopied info sheets and a half hour consult and said she would review in 6 months. He has to follow a low carb diet and although she said max 40g per day
In addition to the above, 52 is only just over the diabetic threshold, he might fond he doesn't need to go as low as 40 grams to get back to non diabetic numbers :)
If he decides to use a glucose meter he can test before and after different meals to see how they affect him, and adjust the meals according to the meter instead of playing a guessing game.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tina6587 hello and welcome. If you click on forums above and then scroll down you will find a section ‘newly diagnosed’ you will find tons of really useful information there which will help you get started. I appreciate that at present the task seems enormous but it is surprising how quickly you can learn to adapt your diet. Good luck

Tina6587

Thanks so much for all the great info and reassurances…. I just went shopping and took 2 hours studying everything…. Usually 30 mins for weekly shop and felt a overwhelmed. It’s so good to know there are real people with real experiences that can support it’s so appreciated.
❤️

Reactions: Antje77

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for all the great info and reassurances…. I just went shopping and took 2 hours studying everything…. Usually 30 mins for weekly shop and felt a overwhelmed. It’s so good to know there are real people with real experiences that can support it’s so appreciated.
❤️

Meat, fish, above ground veg, eggs, dairy.

Base meals around those and you can't go far wrong.

Berries and some high cocoa content chocolate if treats are required and oh yes double cream for drinks and accompaniment.

Reactions: Lainie71

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
❤️
He'll be okay, especially since he doesn't have to face this alone. I can't stress enough how helpful it is to have a spouse on board with the whole low carb thing. It's also very nice if you hear beforehand that something's impossible anyway, so why try? (And yes, that's me being angry and sarcastic... How dare they possibly dash someone's hopes like that?!) Well... I was told the same thing when I was doing 70 grams of carbs a day, well over 5 years ago... Guess what? I'm at practically zero to 5 grams of carbs a day now. Didn't have to go that far for the diabetes, but other conditions fare well on it, so... There it is. It can be done. And your husband probably doesn't have to go anywhere near as far as a lot of us here... He's only just over the diabetic diagnostic threshold, and just a few changes should go a long way into getting his numbers back into the normal range. If there's a lot of conflicting information (and lord knows, there is!), trust in the meter: it'll never try to sell you on any dogma or expensive diet, just... Gives you the facts, and whether something works or not. Base meals on REAL food, if it's overly-processed it's probably filled with carby fillers and such... Meat, fish, poultry, eggs, full fat dairy, leafy greens/above ground veggies (pulses are a bit iffy, some can have them, some spike, so worth testing!)... Things like hard cheeses, olives, extra dark chocolate, pecans etc are all perfectly fine. Full fat greek yoghurt with berries (just about the only fruit the bulk of us can have without spiking too much) or eggs with bacon for breakfast would be good, for instance...

In any case, you've come to the right place for information, support and pointers. Ask anything that pops into your head, as it's the fastest way to learn!
Good luck to both of you.
Jo

D

Deleted member 543160

Thanks so much for all the great info and reassurances…. I just went shopping and took 2 hours studying everything…. Usually 30 mins for weekly shop and felt a overwhelmed.

It might be useful and timesaving before you go, to check the items on your shopping list against their nutritional content on the website for your usual supermarket - but use the printed info not the "traffic light" images. (I have to do all my shopping on line, and checking this was one of the most helpful things I learned to do for any new food.)

You've already had some good pointers to resources that will help you find the right foods, and @bulkbiker's concise list is a good pointer to the types of food that are the basis of lower carb eating. And now, some to be very cautious with:
  • high carbohydrate starchy food such as potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals, bread...
  • high carb sugary food - sugar itself, cakes, biscuits, jam & honey, sugary fruit, e.g. bananas...
  • Low fat/reduced/lite dairy products - which are higher carb than the normal (full) fat types - you'll need that fat to help replace the fuel you won't be getting from reducing those carbs.
I started out with a diagnosis 10 points higher than your husband, and just by cutting right down on those obvious high sugar and starchy food, I was down to pre-diabetic levels by the time I had my check up three months later. And 40g carbs a day is by no means impossible as you've already been reassured here: I've eaten extremely well on my maximum - and often much lower - target of 50g carbs a day for nearly eight years, and our forum is inhabited by many others who also do this. But if it's too daunting, start a bit higher and cut down a little more each week maybe?

You both CAN do it!

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
My partner is 54 years old and was diagnosed with T2 yesterday. His test measured 52. He has had 2 blood tests.

Tell your husband you met a guy called @Ronancastled on the internet who was diagnosed with the same A1c of 52.
Tell him low carb is the key, that low diagnostic value is a blessing although it wont seem like that now.
If he's a fatty T2 like I was then the weight will soon fall off once he makes the correct dietary & lifestyle changes.
He has a shot at this if he acts immediately & takes it seriously.
I lost 5st post diagnosis & my 6 month follow up A1c was in the low 30s, completely non-diabetic.
My current readings would have me even lower & an Endo has agreed to remove my diagnosis.

Get a meter, hit low carb & start walking.
Your support is amazing & having a spouse on board really helps.

Lakeslover

Have a look at this new app launched by two gps recently. There are some good simple menu plans and recipes which might give you some ideas.

I also downloaded the nutracheck app which allows you to record meals and calculates the carbs per meal and total per day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be too much of a shock to go as low as 40 gm per day - the practice nurse should know better, as not everyone can simply switch over to protein and fat burning.
I should confess that at the moment I eat no more than 40 gm of carbs a day and feel great - but I have been eating low carb for a long time and arguing that it is what makes me feel well - but perhaps I am just odd.
When just starting out a blood glucose tester is a great asset as it shows you if you are getting control of your levels.

Reactions: mo53

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Get a Blood Glucose meter (if you are in the UKL then either a Spirit Healthcare TEE2+ or a SD Gluco Navii) i.e. one with cheaper test strips (which is where the main cost lies).
Cut out/down on the obvious really high carb foods e.g. fruit juice, banana, cakes, sugar, grains, baked or mashed potato.
The test before each meal and again 2hrs later aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0mmol.
Don't fear traditional fats (e.g cheese, eggs, or fatty cuts of meat) because the fat keeps your energy up without raising your Blood Glucose.
Eat until pleasantly full - don't starve.

Tina6587

So just a quick update.

9 days ago in a panic and being overwhelmed, I joined this forum and reached out for advice, support, information.
I have to say you have all been amazing!!! Thank you so much for your advice.

The last 9 days have been an emotional, complex, interesting, stressful and surprising journey.

Joining Ross on his lifestyle change has really changed us in such a short period of time. OK, energy levels haven't started increasing yet but you know what? We are starting to feel better. I opted for between 50-60g of carbs per day for us and after a complete wobble on Monday (day 2) We have adjusted really well.

Whilst Ross has lost 6kg in 6 days and I have lost 4kg in 6 days, this is is massive step forward and Ross has lost 5% of his body weight. Weigh in tomorrow for us to see how we are progressing.

I have to say I think understanding and focusing on what we CAN have instead of what we CAN'T is a big help. I made 0g meringues and we had an eton mess last night.... who would have thought it! But this is a big bonus as we used to have an icecream, cake or something each evening. Sugarfree jelly or Eton Mess is great each evening.

Life doesn't stop, adjustments and positives are the baby steps. I think seeing the weight loss is a huge incentive as we certainly need to lose a significant amount anyway.

If it hadn't been for everyone providing support, advice, information and just being here I honestly don't know how we would have done this. You are all amazing people with the biggest hearts.

THANK YOU :happy:

Reactions: Mike d and Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So just a quick update.

9 days ago in a panic and being overwhelmed, I joined this forum and reached out for advice, support, information.
I have to say you have all been amazing!!! Thank you so much for your advice.

The last 9 days have been an emotional, complex, interesting, stressful and surprising journey.

Joining Ross on his lifestyle change has really changed us in such a short period of time. OK, energy levels haven't started increasing yet but you know what? We are starting to feel better. I opted for between 50-60g of carbs per day for us and after a complete wobble on Monday (day 2) We have adjusted really well.

Whilst Ross has lost 6kg in 6 days and I have lost 4kg in 6 days, this is is massive step forward and Ross has lost 5% of his body weight. Weigh in tomorrow for us to see how we are progressing.

I have to say I think understanding and focusing on what we CAN have instead of what we CAN'T is a big help. I made 0g meringues and we had an eton mess last night.... who would have thought it! But this is a big bonus as we used to have an icecream, cake or something each evening. Sugarfree jelly or Eton Mess is great each evening.

Life doesn't stop, adjustments and positives are the baby steps. I think seeing the weight loss is a huge incentive as we certainly need to lose a significant amount anyway.

If it hadn't been for everyone providing support, advice, information and just being here I honestly don't know how we would have done this. You are all amazing people with the biggest hearts.

THANK YOU :happy:
I'm so happy for you two, I could cry. It's so much better when it's a joint effort. Well done on an amazing start, both of you!

Tannith

BANNED
❤️
When you buy a meter I suggest you consider the price of the test strips that go with it rather than the price of the meter itself. You will be using a lot of strips.

JayBee28

Great news to hear you have started so well I’m 2 months into my journey with a HBA1C of 51. I was a Carboholic, I have completely cut these out now i.e. pasta, rice, bread and cut out all biscuits, no sugar in tea, cakes, sweets etc. I have upped protein chicken, fish, eggs, cheese. I’ve added almonds, pecans and walnuts to my diet. I concentrate on things I can have and have really enjoyed coming up with new dishes. My favourite mid week breakfast is a bowl of strawberries, raspberries, sliced plums, greek yoghurt with a sprinkling of crushed walnuts for texture. At the weekends, we have a late brunch consisting of bacon or sausages, scrambled eggs, tomato and sometimes smoked salmon. I then don’t eat until the evening. I have so much more energy during the day, stopped snacking between meals and feel fuller for longer. A glucose meter has been invaluable, even though the doctor told me not to get one! When I did my first reading on my monitor it was almost 12. Apart from my first reading in the morning which is around 7 (I think I’m still having the dawn phenomenon) my readings are generally in the low 5’s to mid 6’s during the day, with a clime to mid 7’s after meals. My husband is also eating the same which is really helpful. What you are doing supporting your husband is invaluable. Good luck.