Meltdown

Finncity

I need help putting everything in perspective as I’m having a meltdown since diagnosis.

I’ll give numbers and stuff to see if I’m overreacting or if doing something wrong.

First reading fasting 7.3

cheese omlette 2 eggs….. 8.1

tested before lunch 8.3…. Opened a tin of what I though was a good soup to find noodles in it. Couldnt eat it, had a meltdown ended up throwing it away. What if it put me over 10? Stress is overwhelming. For the first time in my life I got a small insight into how anorexics feel about food. I thought it would choke me.

Am I reading it all wrong? Im sure I’m not alone in this emotion. Crying all the time, and I mean ALL the time. Its rediculous. I want my life back. Dont mean the cakes and donuts, just feeling relaxed about eating.

Its only been 6 days, so i feel stupid even typing this. But its a little therapeutic too.

Should I up my water intake?

Sorry for typing pretty much same as other day, it will get less as i learn.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very early days - perhaps writing yourself a list of the things you think you might eat and then checking to see what their carb content is would give you a start on what to eat for the next week or so.
I used to have two postcards with shopping lists which I used alternately - for a bit of variety. I still tend to not buy mushrooms if I also buy tomatoes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have had a major shock. You are in a state of grief for your lost way of life and other things. Give yourself time to adjust mentally and emotionally. It takes time to get used to this, to adapt, to reduce your blood sugar levels consistently, to find what works for you.

Be gentle with yourself. Nothing drastic is going to happen short-term. You have time to work this out. We can help and are here for you.

You are doing well, even if you don't realise it.

Finncity

You are all right of course. And true, it is grief, knowing it can never be the same again.

I will try and focus on the positive, like 2.5 kg loss in 6 days. My goal is 25kg no timeline

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and don't worry too much.

You are all right of course. And true, it is grief, knowing it can never be the same again.

I will try and focus on the positive, like 2.5 kg loss in 6 days. My goal is 25kg no timeline

Ok, I know all too well about being a control freak and having illogical anxiety about having a trauma that is worse than it should be.
I would say that it is very similar to grieving, but because in your mind, it's you, that has lost probably your way of life and this has a more drastic changes in your brain, it's personal and that makes it worse.
Part of the process, as you say to be positive about what you, and only you can do to alleviate the symptoms, you are doing well, but it is confusing, you are learning new skills to adapt to eating things that you have been eating all your life, your body is experiencing a big changes, and it does not like changes, you have to have the will and get through this. Writing and talking does relieve you. Is there someone you can talk to, a friend who will keep your feelings to themselves or a family member, so that you can voice your fears. I was lucky to get counselling because my GP who was Brilliant, recognised I was really struggling. Talk to your surgery, get an appointment.
Talk, take positive action, be proactive and most importantly it is not too late and you can without feeling guilt, take it easy and be nice to you. Give orders to your family to let you have space and time to do whatever will give you solace.
THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT. This sort of thing happens.
Do not take it out on yourself or anybody else.
Anxiety, it's like second guessing yourself, why, why, why? Am I doing this all wrong?
That can't be right? Ill make sure. What do I have to do, should I do a list or write things down, whose birthday is it next, have I got shopping in? Do I need my mask?
Are the family okay? Can I still go out to eat, can I drink, how low carb do I go, how much, do I have to give up? Am I doing enough exercise and so on and so on.

There is a future, there will be times when you don't feel right, ups and downs, good days and the bad days. Baby steps, one day at a time.
In the end it is you, with help, can do, what needs to be done, to get your life back on track.
Keep asking, keep getting advice from here, there are plenty of success stories, you have to keep going and get your health issues sorted.
One day, hopefully, this will be like a bad dream.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Finncity

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a control freak too and this feel totally out of my control
That's where you're wrong. But you'll find that out for yourself as you go. When I was first diagnosed I was pretty much on my own for months, flailing. And crying buckets. I'd wake up with a wet face. If I'd found this place sooner and trusted in my meter, and knew what the readings meant, it would've been a lot better a lot quicker. But you ARE going to be okay. And there will be a day where food doesn't require a second thought, it'll just be second nature.

I have a lot of ailments. And I do mean a LOT. Diabetes is the only one I got under control really quick. I have a say in what I eat, so I have a say in what my blood sugars do. But it doesn't happen overnight, and there's glucose stored in your body still. That'll come out, but it doesn't just vanish into thin air. It takes time. You're doing really well, with your rise between pre and post prandial being less than 2. That means your stores will empty, and your blood sugars will normalise. You already HAVE control. You're just too close to it, and too shocked still from the diagnosis, to see it.

You're already getting this right. You are. And you are in absolute control here. Have faith in yourself. And maybe make your own soup from here on in. ;)
Hugs,
Jo

Madisons

Hi Finncity, I too, am in your position, meltdown is the perfect word. I have come to this forum to distract me and find good advice during my distress of so many ailments. Jo is the best, she really is so helpful and kind. I'm still looking for the right diet as I am prediabetic 6.1 after two A1C tests taken 6 months apart, despite me cutting out all grains, legumes, and fruit. So, that was a huge letdown, my liver is showing fatty liver, and high cholesteral floating around my bloodstream because of bad genes, and not because I eat fried or sugary foods. Ate well and excercised most of my life to only be hit with all this. Lost so much weight not intentionally. So afraid to put anything in my stomach because one food that's good for my fatty liver, will not be for the prediabetes or hypothyroid or cholesteral. I am on the verge of taking the antidepressant my GP prescribed for me despite that I tried to avoid it since my health fell apart, also staying away from the statins that he also wants to give me. Medicate! medicate! I am so not into it. You are in a much better position than I am, so hang in there. So much good advice on this forum. I still need to know how to post one where I can get advice on what to eat with prediabetes, fatty liver, high cholseteral and hypothyroidsm. I've looked on the web, but everything contradicts one another, and i do NOT go to the ADA diabetes site, because they are ALL about promoting grains and carbs and fruit! Mainly because they are sponsored by big cereal companies, etc....no thanks...just so tired of what I can or can't eat anymore to nourish my overstressed out mind and body. Thanks for listening. Am not looking forward to the day when I'd need to inject myself with insulin as I am terrified of needles and awful at calculating the dose that i would require pre-meal? if I give myself too much or too little...I've seen my diabetic mom's episodes when I was a child/teen...still traumatized by it now in my 50's. Take care.

Reactions: Finncity

Finncity

I love this site. Everyone is so supportive and gives sensible caring answers learned first hand through experience. Its hard to know where to begin. At 54 me and “sugar” have been in a long term relationship my whole life and it hurts to know he doesnt want to see me anymore, and hes taken all his delicious friends with him. Just have to show him who’s boss and that I dont need him.

Im fluctuating between devastated and excited that finally I will lose weight, I have no choice in the matter, I choose life.

Reactions: Higaomo and Mike d

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At 54 me and “sugar” have been in a long term relationship my whole life and it hurts to know he doesnt want to see me anymore, and hes taken all his delicious friends with him. Just have to show him who’s boss and that I dont need him.
It will get easier as you test more and more and see that sugar has been a false friend and has in fact been hurting you for years, more like a cheating partner so yes you are allowed to be angry, oh so very very angry

Nuri

Hi, I am new in this group, and I feel lucky to be here.

My first reading fasting 7.4 then it goes up depends on what I eat.

I was over the border line twice in last 3 years I was scared started strict diet went swimming lost nearly 10 kg and my HbA1c level dropped even less than 5 but I stopped my diet all my belly came back. Last December we lost our business i had to deal with everything which caused lots of stress.

7 months ago, i was 93 kg and my HbA1c was 8.6 and I started diet immediately 4 months ago I dropped to 85 kg and HbA1c was 7.2 i was told to carry on exercise and diet I will be fine but 5 weeks ago I had stressful day which was related to business again and I lost control I went to AE doctor checked my blood and told me to speak to my GP about my glucose level.

I called my Gp next day he put me on Metformin 500 ml a day, the second week 2 tablets a day, 3 week 3 tablets a day but end of 3.5 week I lost it again I was stressed all day, shacking, and scared to step out from my house. I wanted to cry. I was watching what I was eating No Rice, no potato and only 2 slice bread a day, Lots of eggs, meat, and salad with everything. I wanted my level to drop down. I was going mental I thought my diabetes causing all these feelings. I read the side effects and I noticed I had nearly all of them. I called my Gp again this time there was a different Gp and she changed my tablet to 1 tablet a day 1000 ml Slow release Metforming 1 tablet a day.

5 Days ago, I met a lady who runs Diabetes clinic in GP i was lucky to meet her she changed my life. When she checked my HbA1c it was 6.5 and advised me to eat some food which I was strictly avoiding but little bit a time and maybe ones or twice a week. Also, she explained how our body works and causes of diabetes. I was always searching google and reading everything. I was eating nothing contains sugar even 1 apple every 2 days. I started eating and using my tablet as well but still I have the side effects sometimes I fell like I’m going to fall or become a sick. I cannot keep my attention more than 6 seconds I went to optician and there is nothing wrong with my eyes, but these are just the feelings and I believe they caused by the tablet I take every day. I will start my diet class this week to learn about what and how much I should be eating.

Sorry I had to explain about myself first. Maybe you can advise me about what I m doing wrong or what I should do.

Dear Finncity if you don’t mind me saying but i think been a diabetes is totally up to ourselves. We can all control it, and we will. You need to be positive, watch what you eat and exercise regularly even in your living room you do not need to go out. If you do 3000 steps after a food, you will see level drops down a lot. There are lots more serious sicknesses other people suffer. You need to find the right experts to speak to get an advice and educate yourself about diabetes. More you know about it. Less stressfull it gets.

This group is lovely with full of positive advice. If you start using a medication, please check side effects maybe to early to say that but last Sunday I was nearly crying and feeling very bad this Sunday I m very hopeful because I want to be better myself and nobody else can do it for me or for you.

We all have a life to live. Let’s live happy but be aware of our health. Speak to your close friend about how you fell. It will help you to fell better it is all about feeling and acting positive.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am new in this group, and I feel lucky to be here.

My first reading fasting 7.4 then it goes up depends on what I eat.

I was over the border line twice in last 3 years I was scared started strict diet went swimming lost nearly 10 kg and my HbA1c level dropped even less than 5 but I stopped my diet all my belly came back. Last December we lost our business i had to deal with everything which caused lots of stress.

7 months ago, i was 93 kg and my HbA1c was 8.6 and I started diet immediately 4 months ago I dropped to 85 kg and HbA1c was 7.2 i was told to carry on exercise and diet I will be fine but 5 weeks ago I had stressful day which was related to business again and I lost control I went to AE doctor checked my blood and told me to speak to my GP about my glucose level.

I called my Gp next day he put me on Metformin 500 ml a day, the second week 2 tablets a day, 3 week 3 tablets a day but end of 3.5 week I lost it again I was stressed all day, shacking, and scared to step out from my house. I wanted to cry. I was watching what I was eating No Rice, no potato and only 2 slice bread a day, Lots of eggs, meat, and salad with everything. I wanted my level to drop down. I was going mental I thought my diabetes causing all these feelings. I read the side effects and I noticed I had nearly all of them. I called my Gp again this time there was a different Gp and she changed my tablet to 1 tablet a day 1000 ml Slow release Metforming 1 tablet a day.

5 Days ago, I met a lady who runs Diabetes clinic in GP i was lucky to meet her she changed my life. When she checked my HbA1c it was 6.5 and advised me to eat some food which I was strictly avoiding but little bit a time and maybe ones or twice a week. Also, she explained how our body works and causes of diabetes. I was always searching google and reading everything. I was eating nothing contains sugar even 1 apple every 2 days. I started eating and using my tablet as well but still I have the side effects sometimes I fell like I’m going to fall or become a sick. I cannot keep my attention more than 6 seconds I went to optician and there is nothing wrong with my eyes, but these are just the feelings and I believe they caused by the tablet I take every day. I will start my diet class this week to learn about what and how much I should be eating.

Sorry I had to explain about myself first. Maybe you can advise me about what I m doing wrong or what I should do.

Dear Finncity if you don’t mind me saying but i think been a diabetes is totally up to ourselves. We can all control it, and we will. You need to be positive, watch what you eat and exercise regularly even in your living room you do not need to go out. If you do 3000 steps after a food, you will see level drops down a lot. There are lots more serious sicknesses other people suffer. You need to find the right experts to speak to get an advice and educate yourself about diabetes. More you know about it. Less stressfull it gets.

This group is lovely with full of positive advice. If you start using a medication, please check side effects maybe to early to say that but last Sunday I was nearly crying and feeling very bad this Sunday I m very hopeful because I want to be better myself and nobody else can do it for me or for you.

We all have a life to live. Let’s live happy but be aware of our health. Speak to your close friend about how you fell. It will help you to fell better it is all about feeling and acting positive.
I am a little concerned about the information you've been getting... I mean, your blood sugars were 6,5, which is in the normal range, and you're advised to eat? You were nowhere near a hypo, nor were you on medication that can cause one. The advice you got was for a Type 1, not for a T2 on nothing but metformin. A small apple has 20 grams of sugar in it, bread had about 12 grams of carbs per slice, and you're still having those things. I'm not surprised your vision's fluctuating (Which is what it does as sugar levels go up and down, as glucose muddies your vision), and you're feeling anxiety and such. High blood sugars will do that to you. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ have a read, maybe it'll help. It'll probably clash with the diet course you'll take and all the other advice you've been given, but when in doubt, and you don't know whom to listen to: Check your meter. It'll tell you what is working for you, and what isn't. Don't believe some random stranger on the internet (me and many others out there), believe your measurements. (Spoiler: I can tell you now the bread and apple won't be doing your blood sugars any favours. ;)).

Good luck eh.
Jo

Jak13

I love this site. Everyone is so supportive and gives sensible caring answers learned first hand through experience. Its hard to know where to begin. At 54 me and “sugar” have been in a long term relationship my whole life and it hurts to know he doesnt want to see me anymore, and hes taken all his delicious friends with him. Just have to show him who’s boss and that I dont need him.

Im fluctuating between devastated and excited that finally I will lose weight, I have no choice in the matter, I choose life.
Hi finnicty, I was diagnosed 4 years ago but only found this forum a few weeks ago. Before finding this knowledgeable group, I took my metformin and continued to eat carbs as usual, and my hba1c was 42. After reading some of the information here it suddenly hit me that I have a life changing but controllable illness. I cried buckets! The nurse and the doctor that I saw at diagnosis implied it was all ok, normal even to have type 2. I am slowly adjusting like I should of 4 years ago, I have a meter and I’m checking what affects me and what’s ok. Giving up carbs is tough I’m finding but this group are so strong it motivates me. Good luck with your journey, we all seem to be walking a similar path and when you look at those who are further on in the journey, they seem to be doing well! Jakki