What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch- h/b egg, cheddar, chilli sauerkraut, 1/2 avocado.
D- Roast beef, cauli mash, buttery cabbage, air fried kale ( this is the best thing ever). Red wine, Then Brie with M&S seedy crackers and after washing up a DGF cake and cream.
Green tea now.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late breakfast one each of slice bacon, chipolata sausage and egg with half a hm lc roll
Late lunch rest of lc roll with some cheese,baby tomatoes and a few nuts followed by yoghurt and two squares of 90% choc
Dinner roast chicken with roast veggies and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF blondie
Looking forward to a booked spa day tomorrow - it’s youngest sons birthday pressie to me, I’ve had since August and just managed to make time and go for it. It’s a bit of a long journey there and back but worth it I’m sure.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 egg omelette filled with cottage cheese/spinach mixture.
Tea x 5 + water
2nd meal: kale soup with a cheese toastie - that's about 30 g carb in all.

BG started at 6.9 today (2.30 am) but rose through the day, despite doing the "right thing". Topped out at 15.9.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today was the second day of metformin, so I'm trying to work out a routine of eating something shortly after waking up so I can take the tablet.
Usually I wake up somewhere between 8:30 and 11:30, and first meal is hardly ever before 2PM and regularly at 4PM, so this is a challenge.
Yesterday I had a piece of soft cheese and a slice of liverwurst after my second cup of coffee, ruining much of my coffee by thinking of needing to eat.
So today I decided to take the bull by the horns and force myself to eat some soft cheese and a tablet before coffee to get it over with, which worked well, even though I very much disliked eating at that time.

No ill effects yet from the metformin! :)
Second meal was the usual slice of LC bread, today half with very mature Gouda, crumbling when trying to slice, a special treat, and half with liverwurst and mustard.

Over the day it was the occasional bite of an apple to not drop too low, until I left it out on the garden table within reach of goats, turkeys, chickens and dogs. Not sure who stole it, but had to switch to winegums after that.
I don't know yet if it's the metformin or the fact that this couch potato has spent all afternoon doing heavy garden work, we'll see!

Evening meal will be the same as yesterday, and midnight snacks will surely follow.
Will reduce my basal insulin too tonight, see what happens. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and phd Smart bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few dark chocolate almonds (the rest of the jar will go to hubby when the dark chocolate pistachios arrive tomorrow. I have to swap as almonds are high oxalates, which I have to lower to reduce the risk of another kidney stone forming).
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really really really don't like eating breakfast earlier than say 2PM.
But I also wanted to try my first metformin tablet somewhat early in the day, in case either the side effects turn out to be very nasty, or their main effect is more than anticipated and it will drop my BG's the rest of the day.

So I forced myself to eat a piece of soft cheese and a slice of liverwurst, hopefully this will provide enough of a cushion for the tablet.

Anyone remember how long it took before noticing anything after taking metformin?
I feel like I'm 17 again, waiting to see if space cake really does something. (Yes it does, and once was very much enough, never had it again!)

247436556_10224621647922977_2393292253653807659_n.jpg

I’ve just started met a few weeks ago and it’s hard to say what’s making the impact but my BG has improved and I’m down from 19 to getting a 9 (only once mind, but I’m taking that as win!) I’ve also started intermittent fasting and have had 18:6 three times this week which I think is what got me the 9. I’m actually debating whether to stay on met or just go back to extended fasting with keto but I’ll decide on that later. Best of luck to you x

Reactions: DJC3 and Mrs T 123

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was the second day of metformin, so I'm trying to work out a routine of eating something shortly after waking up so I can take the tablet.
Usually I wake up somewhere between 8:30 and 11:30, and first meal is hardly ever before 2PM and regularly at 4PM, so this is a challenge.
Yesterday I had a piece of soft cheese and a slice of liverwurst after my second cup of coffee, ruining much of my coffee by thinking of needing to eat.
So today I decided to take the bull by the horns and force myself to eat some soft cheese and a tablet before coffee to get it over with, which worked well, even though I very much disliked eating at that time.

Second meal was the usual slice of LC bread, today half with very mature Gouda, crumbling when trying to slice, a special treat, and half with liverwurst and mustard.

Over the day it was the occasional bite of an apple to not drop too low, until I left it out on the garden table within reach of goats, turkeys, chickens and dogs. Not sure who stole it, but had to switch to winegums after that.
I don't know yet if it's the metformin or the fact that this couch potato has spent all afternoon doing heavy garden work, we'll see!

Evening meal will be the same as yesterday, and midnight snacks will surely follow.

Antje - Have you been told you must have your Metformin first thing in the morning?

My understanding is it works by building to a therapeutic dose in your system, rather than on a dose-by-dose basis, so the odd missed dose, or extra tablet rarely makes a difference to the bigger picture.

In your shoes, in the absence of direct instruction, I'd take my Metformin when I ate. Ideally this would be around the same time each day. just to help remember to take it

Reactions: DJC3

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been busy experimenting in the kitchen this week!

Today B: fake sausage and egg McMuffin with coffee
L: chilli with lettuce instead of rice
S: chocolate lava mug cake with cream (Thing 1 made proper brownies and I felt left out!)
D: chicken breast roll up with cheese and salad and a side of homemade slaw.

Going to bed rather full tonight x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My money would be on the goats, they can be sneaky blighters
They harrassed me worse after I switched from apple to winegums.
Some 6 weeks ago I gave them a very sour sweet from my hypo stash in my little rucksack to annoy them. Turned out they love them and they haven't forgotten where it came from even after 6 weeks, so now it's almost impossible to do a bg test, inject or retrieve a hypo treatment from that rucksack within sight of the goats! :facepalm:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Antje - Have you been told you must have your Metformin first thing in the morning?

My understanding is it works by building to a therapeutic dose in your system, rather than on a dose-by-dose basis, so the odd missed dose, or extra tablet rarely makes a difference to the bigger picture.

In your shoes, in the absence of direct instruction, I'd take my Metformin when I ate. Ideally this would be around the same time each day. just to help remember to take it
I haven't been given instructions (I figure my endo expected me to have the whole plan layed out already, as I'd sent her a link to this thread before my appointment: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/adding-metformin-to-insulin.184734/ Very useful trick too, much clearer and quicker than trying to explain in those 10 or 15 minutes!).

But wary of both side effects and main effects, I wanted to start earlier in the day, to give me a whole day for dealing with surprises!
I'm also hoping to up the dose to 2x500 mg next week, and as I understand it it's best to spread it over the day. So it makes sense to have a little bite earlier in the day than 3 PM or so, to allow for the second tablet with my midnight snack.
Of course the routine might change once I know how my diabetes and my tummy react to the metformin!

when the dark chocolate pistachios arrive tomorrow.
This sounds amazing!

Last edited:

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two and half slices of middle bacon, two cheese and egg omelette, button mushrooms, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of low sugar pineapple jelly, lemon cordial brew for smoko.
Seafood marinara in a spag bol sauce, small portion of reheated spiral pasta for lunch.
Leftover marinara in low carb wraps for supper at six.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturdays -

Brunch - 2 slices roasted cheese. Mug of Earl Grey tea

Dinner (out) - surf n turf steak at my favourite hotel/restaurant with a large side salad (came with chips I didn't ask for but had a few anyhow and gave hubby a lot as hardly any room left on my plate!) Had 1 or 2 or a few darks rums and diet cola as had met friends for drinks and music - good for the mind.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

In my case the insulin was added after the Metformin. That was because I was in hospital for 3 days and taken off Metformin in the interim. This was replaced with an insulin drip. I was assured that, on leaving hospital I would go back onto Metformin and no longer need the insulin. It didn't work out that way. I went back onto the Metformin (4 x 500 daily) but was not allowed to come off the insulin.

I was in the hospital to have tests for bowel problems. They did find early stages of cancer and cut that out but the surgeon felt that the problem was Metformin - I was already on the SR version. Over a period of time, when bowel problems persisted, the Metformin was reduced to 2 x 500 daily to help with this issue. It didn't. The only thing that has helped is reducing carbs. Despite issues that I have with near zero carbs, the big benefit is no more bowel problems due to Metformin. Of course, no notable benefits from taking the Metformin either.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B/ black coffee, cream cheese pancakes with blueberries
L/ cold chicken, Waldorf salad, cheese & walnuts
2.5 mile run
D/ steak, peppercorn sauce, fried onions & mushrooms, homemade blackberry keto crumbly thing with double cream

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 3 small hash browns from the freezer (hoping the freezing had reduced the effect of the carb) and 2 fried eggs. BG dropped by 3 points after 13/4 hours.

2nd meal: Some vegetable mash from the freezer. I'll need to add something to it to make a meal - it's actually almost soup. Might hard boil some eggs and make a sort of egg curry.

Used the last of a packet of bacon that I found under something in the fridge, baked crispy and blitzed in the small bowl of the Magimix processor and mixed with some mayonnaise and a little ketchup. Still needs something but not sure what - maybe some mustard. Neil looked for the ready-made version while shopping this morning, but couldn't see it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful spa day today - so good to stretch in the pool. It had an outdoor jacuzzi with amazing views. As it was a birthday present- Spa staff wished me happy birthday even though it was three months after the actual birthday day!
Mid pm ate packed food ready for post spa - lc roll with ham, a few nuts and two squares of chocolate before driving back on busy motorway.
Dinner frittata with salad followed by DGF crumble and cream

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Spa staff wished me happy birthday even though it was three months after the actual birthday day!
They were not wrong, as it was part of your birthday!
Apart from that, you can never celebrate your birthday too often, so happy birthday from me too!