What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here you go:

- Can of tomatoes (whole or cubed) or passata (Just look for either the cheapest or the one with the fewest carbs. Often this will be the same can :))
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- some garlic cloves
- small can of tomato paste
- Stock cube (I use the vegetarian 'garden herbs' variety)
- water
- cream
Optional:
- bay leaf
- dried green herbs, thyme or rosemary or such
- some finely cut sundried tomatoes in oil

Of course you can use fresh tomatoes as well if you like, but they're expensive at the moment, it's more work, and besides I like the soup as it is.

- fry onions until soft
- add finely chopped garlic
- add tomato paste and fry a bit more until the garlic is tasty
- add tomatoes/passata, water and stock cube
- use stick blender if you used tomatoes instead of passata, although I like to have some cubed tomatoes in my soup, sometimes I add some of those afterwards.
- add herbs and little meatballs if you want meat in your soup, and let simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- add cream generously

You can make meatballs any way you like of course, but after some experimenting I liked them best this way:

- minced meat (I used half pork, half cow)
- 1 very finely chopped onion
- garlic
- 1 egg
- salt or soy sauce (which I used because I couldn't find the salt)
- spoon of Indonesian sambal badjak, which you won't have but I'm sure you can subtitute for something else to add some flavour)
- Two spoons of green pesto

This makes a rather soft mix, so I fried the little meatballs shortly in a frying pan to have the outside stick together before adding them to the soup, worked remarkably well!

I still have the same car as when I got the goats, almost two years ago, so I can show you the picture from when we got them! And of course I'll share a new picture after this adventure. :)
That time, getting them in the car was a nightmare. We didn't know the goats yet, so the obvious thing to do was to get the car as close to the goat stall as I could, and have the previous owners handle them, as we expected them to know how to handle their own goats.

They obviously didn't!

They tried to catch them for 20 minutes, and every time they had one they let go of it again because they were actually scared of their own goats. This of course drove the goats into a full blown panic, jumping up against the walls, not a pretty sight.
Thankfully my friend stepped in, and just grabbed one of the goats by the horns and wrestled it to the car, where we could lift it together. Same for the second goat.

This time I have a better plan!
I'll simply take a bucket of sweet food and rattle it so he'll follow me to the car, which shouldn't be a problem. He's also fine with being cuddled while eating, so that's what my neighbour and I will do, and then we'll lift him in a sudden move and have him in the car before he realises something's off!
Or at least, this is the plan. :D

Last time they seemed to enjoy the car ride, so I hope it will be the same this time.

266976641_10224781804446790_5603653968219611107_n.jpg

You are reminding me of the time when we had goats, but no vehicle but wanted to travel to an agricultural show on the other side of the Island. One of our goat keeping friends had a largish kind of van so 3 goat keepers, 2 human kids and 5 goats piled in to the van and set off. Shan't take up space on this thread with the story, but I might put it on the parallel thread.

Breakfast: bacon and eggs

2nd meal: I checked the shopping that Neil bought yesterday and realised that the chicken was right on its use-by date. That's very bad of Tescos. It should, at least, have had a red label to designate it as short-dated. So I had to cook it right away. Chucked it in the oven with a whole load of garlic because I really didn't feel like doing anything else. So that, cold, will be today's meal with some more salad (simple tomato and cucumber salad) which won't take much to do. The rest will probably go into the freezer. Only problem, thinking about that, is that the day and the house are both very cold and cold chicken salad doesn't really appeal.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Only problem, thinking about that, is that the day and the house are both very cold and cold chicken salad doesn't really appeal.
Just chuck the piece of chicken you want to eat in the frying pan for a couple of minutes to reheat right before eating so you'll have warm chicken with your salad!
You can even fry the cucumber and tomato together with the chicken and have it together. :)
Shan't take up space on this thread with the story, but I might put it on the parallel thread.
Brilliant story! https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ten-parallel-chat.177870/page-75#post-2469122

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Cooked the most delicious piece of pork belly today. A bargain too - £3 a kilo for bone-in pork belly at Morrison’s today.

Managed to get the crackling crispy and keep the meat very moist and tender. Yum! Then a dessert of melted Lindt 90% and unpasteurised butter mixed and poured over Brazil nuts and pistachios and then refrigerated. Very moreish.

26CA0450-471F-4377-BD3D-E6EE3D416766.jpeg
93E564AF-C9F5-4B88-B33D-EFA0E394CAC3.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just chuck the piece of chicken you want to eat in the frying pan for a couple of minutes to reheat right before eating so you'll have warm chicken with your salad!
You can even fry the cucumber and tomato together with the chicken and have it together. :)

Brilliant story! https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ten-parallel-chat.177870/page-75#post-2469122

I ended up giving in to the cold and put a heater on in the kitchen, so cold chicken salad was OK. Quite enjoyed it, actually. But I do like the idea of heating some chicken with the cucumber and tomatoes, so I might just keep enough out of the freezer to do that tomorrow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch was M&S hot smoked salmon slices, 2 Hb eggs and chilli sauerkraut followed by a DGF cake. Dinner- lamb chop, 1/2 gammon steak, cauli cheese and cabbage. 1 glass red.
I’m enjoying the goat tales, so glad you have a new home for your lonely goat @Antje77 but hope you won’t be too lonesome. @Annb I’m heading over to the parallel chat to read your tale ASAP.
@Goonergal your food looks fab. Did you mix equal amounts of butter and choc? I’m definitely copying this.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast
L: 2 slices low carb cheese on toast. Extra cheese on the side.
Afternoon spent cooking crackers and other bits to freeze for my Christmas nibbles so far too many tastes went into my mouth
D: if you can call it that, 1 mouthful of each Indian takeaway the boys had so 1 corner of a samosa, one bite of an onion bhaji, 1 piece of chicken in coconut sauce, 1 mouthful of lamb cheera, 2 mouthfuls of a beetroot and pea side dish.
A brandy and soda.
Might have a bit of icecream soon too.
Not feeling quite right, achy, but testing negative

Edited to say sorry, forgot that i did have a breakfast of yoghurt,seeds and berries

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal your food looks fab. Did you mix equal amounts of butter and choc? I’m definitely copying this.

No. I used a whole 100g bar of Lindt 90% and just guessed with the butter. Probably about 60g or so. Chopped the Brazils in half.

so glad you have a new home for your lonely goat @Antje77

Me too, though I’ve had this song going round in my head ever since I saw @Antje77 ’s post yesterday.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday 10 December - Bed 6.1 FBG 6.3. Way behind again. I've had a really busy week.

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with whipped cheese.
L. Nothing. Headed up to M&S once I dropped the boys at home. Started picking up the presents I'd ordered online from Boots & Curry's.
D. Cheeseburger in a Low Carb Co roll with lettuce, tomato, mustard and coleslaw. Blackberries and a spoonful of cream.

Saturday 11 December - Bed 7.7 FBG 7.5

B. Just TAG. Jujitsu still on.so out early.
L. Nothing as I had to collect my order from Sainsburys. Couldn't get a delivery slot.
D. Usual cold cuts - ham, ox tongue, roast beef, coronation chicken, tomato, 1/2 avocado, mozzarella. Blackberries and cream.
View attachment 52492

Last edited:

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I finally found a place for my lonely goat!
He will move to the garden of my cousin and her family, where he will have 3 female goat friends and two pigs to keep him company!

It took one of my best speeches through telephone to convince them, and 4 hours with a rather large and horned goat in the back of my modest Citroën C3 will be an adventure, but I'm very much looking forward to this special Christmas eve where Melle will find his new life and his new manger, how's that for a nativity scene!

Oh, and I had tomato soup again, as I'm sure you'll find that much more interesting than my goat! :hilarious:

Still, you'll get a picture of the curious goat, not my food, as I'm pretty sure you all know what tomato soup in a bowl looks like.

267664465_10224781812006979_2112283773136694968_n.jpg
Having googled Citroen C3 I’m not convinced your plan is wise!‍♀️Four hours? That goat has horns! And I presume hooves? I hope for your sake he’s very friendly, calm and grateful, but look forward to hearing how it went and that he is happily settled into his new home.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and a PE protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
Chicken pie, lemon cordial with usual osmolax mix for smoko.
Seafood platter with salad stuff for lunch.
Toasted cheese and onion low carb sandwiches, couple of spoon fulls of lemon / lime sorbet for supper at six.

@Goonergal I like your homemade chocolates, I will have to give my partner a nudge to make some agiain, she makes a nice crystallised ginger / chopped up walnut fudge.

@Antje77 Transporting goats is easy, just tie their legs together and them put in the back of the truck.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 Transporting goats is easy, just tie their legs together and them put in the back of the truck.
Erm, I don't think this will be necessary, considering the very relaxed way they behaved in the car when I got them. Why would I tie his legs?
I do like your assessment of my car though, from now on I will refer to my modest Citroën C3 as my truck!
Having googled Citroen C3 I’m not convinced your plan is wise!‍♀️Four hours? That goat has horns! And I presume hooves? I hope for your sake he’s very friendly, calm and grateful, but look forward to hearing how it went and that he is happily settled into his new home.
Horns, hooves, unwise, you're probably right!
But I feel pretty responsible for having changed my mind on bringing a couple of turkeys and chickens at the same time. I suddenly had visions of the goat destroying the boxes on the motorway and me having to find a safe spot to stop with a chaos of feathers and horns in my car, and the effect that would have on my two dogs who'll be riding the passenger seat.
So no poultry for my family!
Trip will be on the 24th, be sure I'll keep you updated!

Finished my pot of tomato soup today, so I'll do something else tomorrow. Not sure what yet, but I took some pork belly strips from the freezer so it'll likely involve pork belly.
I've also been eating way more than a sensible amount of my chocolate things in the past few days, it was much easier to stick to just one or two pieces before I found out I'd forgotten the butter and correcting this omission.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No. I used a whole 100g bar of Lindt 90% and just guessed with the butter. Probably about 60g or so. Chopped the Brazils in half.

Me too, though I’ve had this song going round in my head ever since I saw @Antje77 ’s post yesterday.

Thanks - so it’s just like that lovely DD choc nut bar recipe but without the nut butter. I have a plate setting in the fridge now but might have to freeze portions to stop me scoffing the lot in one go.
Ps I’ve been singing that song too!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay now proud owner of two front teeth I’m delighted they look so natural well worth the cost and even better didn’t need anything painful doing today it was just fitting and transformation.
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with half a lc hm roll followed by yoghurt and a few nuts and two squares of 90% chocolate
Mid pm - own up - who was it who alerted me to the fact that frozen DGF cookies could be eaten directly from the usually safe freezer? They were right had a straight from freezer lc lemon cookie and loved it ! I like crunchy cookies - especially as now can bite!- and it was lovely.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with green beans and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF lc chocolate gingerbread. Well I was celebrating my new teeth!
Guilty! They're even better from the freezer.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - 2 eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner (out with colleagues for Chrimbo) - surf n turf with large side salad to include cheese & coleslaw and I was very very good and didn't have a dessert - most of them did - and it didn't honestly bother me at all. Oh and I had a few morgan spiced rums with diet colas just to be sociable of course ... :happy:

@shelley262 @DJC3 @maglil55 (and anyone else I may have missed) I have ordered the shortbread from dgf - it looks lovely and not sure if yous know but the first orders are getting a free secret santa box ...
I've just ordered the shortbread too (as well as the Christmas pies and more cookies to freeze). I just hope we don't end up with them having a Christmas break in Peterborough *touch wood, touch wood....

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday 12 December - Bed 6.5 FBG 7.8

Swimming still on. Bit of rushing about in the morning. - looking forward to last week of school!

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with egg mayo.

L. Nothing at swimming.

D. Mussels in white wine garlic with celeriac chips. Raspberries, blackberries and cream.
Usual campari and soda.

Monday 13 December - Bed 8.2 FBG 7.8

B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with egg mayo.
Last week of school!

L. Nothing

D. Courgetti carbonara.

Headed back to the Fort after I dropped boys off to collect tet more parcels. Between giving grandson lunch and school runs, I also went into list making mode and got my cards done.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just ordered the shortbread too (as well as the Christmas pies and more cookies to freeze). I just hope we don't end up with them having a Christmas break in Peterborough *touch wood, touch wood....
Yep I ordered the cookies too and I have crossed everything that they arrive in time for christmas (my wee treat to myself) but I had another thought not being pessimistic likes but I thought they will now have the excuse again of their staff isolating if there is a delay/disaster .... note to self ... positve thinking, postive thinking ...