What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst it is customary to greet people with good morning it is patently not so for all, never is, but the wish is more than good manners. I haven't a clue what my fbg is/was and despite being overly interested in the management thereof for more than half a decade I haven't any real idea "what gives." All I've learned from here is what works brilliantly for a select few and seems to hold goodish for most so sorry @Granny_grump_ The general idea is eat as few carbs as possible, mainly in leafy veg, salad and berries; check bg before first mouthful and 2 hrs after. Pick the foods/meals which give a rise of less the 2 points and taste ok (ish) but don't have any unpleasant side effects. I really do think it is that vague. @SlimLizzy hug for the situation over your father and biting your lip over Boxing Day is an excellent idea. @Krystyna23040 thank you but I don't want to mislead people. Our grandson was in hospital in September but the last we heard he isn't at the moment just has a high temperature and general malaise. The family have secured PCR tests so it is wait and see. @karen8967 thank you for the thoughts encapsulated in that poster. If you are celebrating/seeing in the New Year enjoy, as always safely. I'll share a poem and a chune which will do me for today - more upbeat than they seem on the surface. Tinkerty Tonk Old Fruits.
The attached is an extract from this for anyone lost for things to do or read at any stage in the day

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-31 09.02.44.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 09.02.44.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from last day of the year in the dark and dangerous north
Mrs Miggins has had her PCR test results back - negative - and is now back at home. Strange times - her sister tested positive and now has to wait until day 6 and test again. Can you cook sausages in an air fryer - yes you can, and quicker than you might think. I bought a whole bunch of low carb sausages from a farmers market earlier in the month and shoved them in the freezer - plenty left over for today with some cauliflower and cabbage I think. Gravy sir? Don’t mind if I do. Nasty word for today - Sarcoma. One of my sisters, the one living in France, had a PET scan last Friday - not good. Hope that the oncologist has a plan.

More spray on, spread out art today. Can’t do much more at the moment. Big hugs for all those suffering and with worries. Take some time each day for yourself. Time for some koffy.

upload_2021-12-31_9-17-42.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello after a few years since I last was on this site, after becoming a prisoner in my own home since Covid began anxiety and panic attacks to frightened to go out upto today.I am back to square one higher weight gain higher blood glucose levels on Gliclazide 80mg in a morning but still not working. I need help from members on foods to reduce my blood glucose levels and get back to where I was about 4 years ago. Not able to do a lot of exercise now due to soft tissue damage in both knees and flare up of osteoarthritis in my spine a bit of a mess at this time. Welcome any help and advice please. Granny Grump
Lovely to see you back @Granny_grump_ . I tend to go for low carb stuff like meat, fish, green veg and very little in the sweet department. Cauliflower is marvellous and as @ianpspurs has mentioned, check your blood sugars. Movement is important so any movement you can tolerate will help - a wander round the house every hour of waking will do wonders for you.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8.15am FBG 6.5
Some bad news for me to end the year, my Father is in hospital with breathing difficulties and a very high temperature. It took over three hours to get through to the 111 service, they sent paramedics who managed to persuade him to go with them for a check up. Dad is not as reasonable as he once was, can be very difficult. He has multiple health problems, constant pain and at 89 is very frail.
Current treatment oxygen and antibiotics, with an x-ray planned for sometime today.
He is really worried that this will prevent his second cataract operation, scheduled for the 4th Jan.
Of course he is saying they tricked him into hospital and he wants to go home.
Am grateful that my parents are currently staying with my brother, so Mum has support.
Am hoping for better news today and carefully not mentioning the boxing day party, which may not have anything to do with it after all.
What a sorry situation and a real worry being so far away. Probably right about about any mention of Boxing Day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs Miggins has had her PCR test results back - negative - and is now back at home. Strange times - her sister tested positive and now has to wait until day 6 and test again. Can you cook sausages in an air fryer - yes you can, and quicker than you might think. I bought a whole bunch of low carb sausages from a farmers market earlier in the month and shoved them in the freezer - plenty left over for today with some cauliflower and cabbage I think. Gravy sir? Don’t mind if I do. Nasty word for today - Sarcoma. One of my sisters, the one living in France, had a PET scan last Friday - not good. Hope that the oncologist has a plan.

More spray on, spread out art today. Can’t do much more at the moment. Big hugs for all those suffering and with worries. Take some time each day for yourself. Time for some koffy.

View attachment 52653
I'm so sorry to read about your sister and so pleased Mrs Miggins tested negative. Proper Yin and Yang? Thank you for the art. Enjoy the sausages. I can't "get to grips" with LC gravy or doing anything much with cauliflower beyond roasting and or smothering in cheese - at which point the PE ratio makes it a waste of time. Great post "over there" @Krystyna23040 - hope you don't mind being my darkling thrush for the day:playful:

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 52653
Glad about Mrs Migginns @dunelm.
Hugs for your sister in France.
Great spray on spread out art. I can see many different scenes within it...

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Lovely to see you back granny grump xx
Hello and Good Morning Karen long time since we got together on here but lovely to hear from you. Hope your keeping well during these troubling times, I plucked up the courage to go out for a lunch with my husband yesterday it was a little daunting to see so many people in one place but we were socially distanced, I soon forgot about other and we had a lovely lunch.
Has it was our first lunch in over 20 months it felt like normal but it wasn’t if you know what I mean, will try it again maybe next week but it didn’t do my blood sugars any good.
My fasting bloods @4am this morning was 9mmol my meter is not new like me getting on:joyful:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wishing everyone a Very Happy New year!!!!!
Same to you and well done on "fighting your demons" yesterday. It would have taken a great deal of mental courage. Next time should be just that bit easier. Hope to read much more from you in the New Year. Meantime, chill.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lovely to see you back @Granny_grump_ . I tend to go for low carb stuff like meat, fish, green veg and very little in the sweet department. Cauliflower is marvellous and as @ianpspurs has mentioned, check your blood sugars. Movement is important so any movement you can tolerate will help - a wander round the house every hour of waking will do wonders for you.
Hello dunhelm I haven’t strayed too far from the path of proteins and veg but find I cannot tolerate carbs after many years type2 even the smallest amount pushes my glucose levels up. And we are supposed to eat some carbs aren’t we???

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Same to you and well done on "fighting your demons" yesterday. It would have taken a great deal of mental courage. Next time should be just that bit easier. Hope to read much more from you in the New Year. Meantime, chill.
Good Morning ianspurs my fasting bloods @4am was 9 but having eaten out first time in over 20months I have no idea what was in my Lamb bourginon not sure about spelling but it was very tasty, and I did give into a sweet later. Will make more of an effort it was just so nice to get out.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had some really bad news. Brother in Law has taken a sudden turn for the worse. He is back on oxygen and the doctors have said they will not resuscitate if he stops breathing. Sister is now allowed to visit and will meet the consultant this afternoon.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had some really bad news. Brother in Law has taken a sudden turn for the worse. He is back on oxygen and the doctors have said they will not resuscitate if he stops breathing. Sister is now allowed to visit and will meet the consultant this afternoon.
Oh @Krystyna23040
I'm so very sorry.
I am glad your sister is allowed to visit.
xx

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, from catching up on the posts just now it is clearly a worrying time for quite a few, me, me’s and all my other mental states wish everyone all the best.
A 5.2 this morning.

Due to this covid malarkey we have had to cancel a family function planned for Sunday, nobody has tested positive, but caution is the name of the game, the upside is my drinks cabinet will not be diminished and sensible fodder will be the order of the day.
Stay safe all.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thoughts and prayers with you, you sister., BIL and the whole family.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello dunhelm I haven’t strayed too far from the path of proteins and veg but find I cannot tolerate carbs after many years type2 even the smallest amount pushes my glucose levels up. And we are supposed to eat some carbs aren’t we???
Sorry dunhelm I am still getting used to the site finding my way around again, the answer I gave can appear a little curt it’s not intentional. From May-this year it’s gone from bad to worse with carbs I limit potatoes to one potato cut in half usually roasted boiled or chipped, my problem has been eating things I shouldn’t (comfort eating due to angziety) it usually takes me two weeks of complete cutting out of diet all sweet things before I can control my diet better I will do better after today. We are having a buffet this evening so I don’t expect a difference but NEW YEARS DAY ONWARDS will be my turning point.Thank you for advice I will follow it to get back in control hopefully it will help me with weight loss too.King Regards Kathleen

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you all for your welcoming support wish me luck.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not good @Krystyna23040 .

Prayers with your family
Hugs & best wishes to sister & BiL.

Jojo85

Good morning and happy new year!

Hope everyone had a wonderful night. I just spent it with hubby and my mum over at the in laws place. We had nibblies of cheese salami dips etc I need to get back on track as I want to lose another 40 kg this year (so far I've lost 45kg since July 2021) but I can't seem to shift this Christmas kilo gain lol

6am fbg was 4.9.

@Krystyna23040 I hope your BIL makes a speedy recovery!

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you but I don't want to mislead people. Our grandson was in hospital in September but the last we heard he isn't at the moment just has a high temperature and general malaise. The family have secured PCR tests so it is wait and see.
I am so pleased @ianpspurs that your grandson isn't in hospital. I think I misread your original post.