What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
No worries re picture I had a quick look at weight watchers bars online and think that the one you have is 8.6 total carbs ie all will have an impact on your bgs. It depends very much on the number of carbs you are working towards daily and what works for you. Personally that number would be too large on a snack for me - as I like vegetables and they add up!
Re test results your meter results do sound very varied but it can happen. I tend not to retest unless result very odd especially as you, like me,are no doubt paying for your own strips. NHS don’t approve of testing unless on certain medications as it would cost too much. I personally have found it very helpful to test regularly to work out what food works for me and how many carbs I can tolerate - or not! It also helps you see overall trends in managing via diet and exercise.
So y do u have to test when hbc1a is back to normal like any other person?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Slow cooked a beef topside joint in the air fryer today. Delicious. Then had some cold cuts for dinner. Still some left for another meal too. @Antje77 your plate is still waiting!

View attachment 52742
Evening all. TMAD today.

Lunch was 2 x home made burgers with smoked streaky bacon and 2 eggs.

Dinner was cold cuts from yesterday’s beef, which has now been finished.

View attachment 52761
There's still a lot of bellow and cluck in that beef and egg pix for me, beef needs another hour, the eggs another couple of minutes or three.

Nice plates though. :p

Reactions: maglil55

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
That is a very large difference.
Were your hands clean and are your test strips in date?
Yes washed hands and my meters new from boots and I had just bought 50 strips £18 pounds from boots I done it after tea 7.9 then 6.4 so which is correct

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What is brawn?

It's what Americans call "head cheese". That is all the bits of a pig that can't be used any other way (ears, snout, cheeks etc) boiled until tender, chopped up and set in a savoury jelly. I believe that head cheese has a much tighter meat construction than traditional English brawn which has the cooked meat minced and set in quite a large proportion of jelly - often quite spicy.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is brawn?
It's a cold pressed pig and sheep heads, off cuts, hocks, trotters , some veggies combined,in a natural jelly that has been compressed into a mould.

https://www.cooked.com.au/Adrian-Ri...Meat/Charcuterie/Classic-jellied-brawn-recipe

q94k7dc.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's what Americans call "head cheese". That is all the bits of a pig that can't be used any other way (ears, snout, cheeks etc) boiled until tender, chopped up and set in a savoury jelly. I believe that head cheese has a much tighter meat construction than traditional English brawn which has the cooked meat minced and set in quite a large proportion of jelly - often quite spicy.
Now, that's interesting. It's called zult or 'hoofdkaas' here, literally head cheese.
And I mistakenly thought it was brains, must have been something someone told me as a child!
I only just found out when googling.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just tested 2 hours after and my bg is 0.5 lower than before the meal.
I believe that when the bg is lower after a meal it may well mean the carbs have not yet hit the blood. This often happens to me - the rise may come four or more hours after eating, due to delayed stomach emptying. Also, real pasta is known for taking hours more than most other food. To be sure, I'd test next time at 3hrs etc until I did see a rise. Personally, there is no food, however carb-free, that doesn't cause me some rise in bg sooner or later, but perhaps others are more fortunate.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don't eat many sausages, but when we have them, they come from Asda; their Extra Special range. I particularly like the Three Chilli variant, but maybe not so great for sausage rolls!

Sausages are the only meat we have that doesn't come from the wonderful local butcher, but his gluten free sausages are dire. They are totally tasteless and equally texture-free. Shame.

Enjoy your extra celebration.

Thanks, the chilli variant sounds good, but you’re right, perhaps not for sausage rolls. Same here re. butcher, my local one is so wonderful I never buy meat from a supermarket, in fact I rarely go to a supermarket at all these days- it’s quite an adventure for me now.

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know @DJC3 you aren't currently in range for a Sainsbury's, but others might be as excited as I am to find SO sausages at only 0.9gc per 100g - and higher welfare thrown in! However, they are criticised by reviewers for not being gluten-free, and also for the non-organic nature of the skins. https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sausages/sainsburys-pork-sausages--so-organic-350g

Good to know, thank you. I do sometimes trek out to Sainsbury’s in Bodmin but it’s quite a bit further than the other supermarkets and I won’t have time today. I’ll look out for them next time I go, and stick some in the freezer.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Now, that's interesting. It's called zult or 'hoofdkaas' here, literally head cheese.
And I mistakenly thought it was brains, must have been something someone told me as a child!
I only just found out when googling.

Just the opposite really "all brawn and no brains" was a saying years ago. "Brawn" = muscles.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, there is no food, however carb-free, that doesn't cause me some rise in bg sooner or later, but perhaps others are more fortunate.

Same here - even for the lowest possible carbs I have to take a large dose of insulin to cover the rise in BG. Even nothing at all makes BG rise for quite a few hours before my silly system realises that it hasn't had any food. then it suddenly drops to hypo levels, so I need to watch that. :rolleyes: (Resigned.)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here - even for the lowest possible carbs I have to take a large dose of insulin to cover the rise in BG. Even nothing at all makes BG rise for quite a few hours before my silly system realises that it hasn't had any food. then it suddenly drops to hypo levels, so I need to watch that. :rolleyes: (Resigned.)
Do you take basal insulin as well as bolusing for meals?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you take basal insulin as well as bolusing for meals?

Yes, I do. Quite a lot of it, according to my diabetic nurse. (50u Tresiba basal + 60u Humalog bolus at each meal and sometimes as a correction dose without food.)

To keep on track: Breakfast was another salad-on-a-sandwich (wholemeal).
2nd meal will be seared salmon with spinach just with some lemon on the salmon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit less blood and gore today @Riva_Roxaban - sacrilege to have a ‘well-done’ steak in my view!

Just eaten oxtail cooked in the Instant Pot. Am hoping it’ll do me for the day as not sure I’ll get chance to eat again later. Absolutely delicious.

View attachment 52769

For some reason I've gone right off beef but when I do have steak, it needs to be almost blue. More than that and it might as well be shoe leather.

Reactions: Goonergal

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; l/c cereal, almond milk, hi lo toast with butter
snack; mocha
lunch; chicken, tomatoes, and olives, fibre one protein bar
dinner; chicken, carrots broccoli, home made gravy, one tiny roast potato and mini yorkshire pudding . Blackberries and last of home made posset, a bag of propercorn salted pop corn, montezuma buttons

The cold is making me eat loads!
SLC tea cakes arrived today along with some not cross buns. after long wait due to Christmas break . Looking forward to these already.