What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t have time for breakfast today so first meal was
L- cobb salad
D- DD quick Keto curry bowl.
The DietDoctor Reset meal plan is going well, I’m enjoying the food and I finally saw BG back in 4s and 5s today. Of course that may have been due to the 5 miles of walking I did this morning delivering leaflets.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a PE protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Food Dr protein bar
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly and cream.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi I’ve just got some weight watchers bars the carbs are 8.6 and sugars 2.3 per bar. I know I’ve got to test first but can you tell me if 2.3 sugars are to high for a bar please. I don’t know if dare try them just in case

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
47E8FA53-A461-4BA7-B9A6-772B3119B31A.jpeg 48B0EC39-9C69-4A78-A75A-9507206ACB03.jpeg Tried out a new product today - I miss pasta even after four and a half years of not eating it so when saw Swedish high protein low carb pasta at Ocado I decided to buy and do a trial of a small amount. Reviews suggested it tastes more like pasta and took advice of doubling cooking time suggested as reviews said could be more chewy if cook for suggested time.
Like traditional pasta it swells a lot during cooking so managed to only add 40g in total to dish and I ate about 10g of it which I believe is 1.4g of carbs.worked for me taste and bg - just tested 2 hours after and my bg is 0.5 lower than before the meal.

Lunch hm soup and hm lc bread followed by a few raspberries and yoghurt plus one 85%chocolate baton and a few nuts

Dinner venison meatballs in hm lc passata with previously cooked and cooked lc pasta - added to casserole for last 40mins so pasta took on passata flavours. Pudding low carb blondie with cream. Also had soda water with splash of dry white wine.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve just got some weight watchers bars the carbs are 8.6 and sugars 2.3 per bar. I know I’ve got to test first but can you tell me if 2.3 sugars are to high for a bar please. I don’t know if dare try them just in case
Hiya you need to count all the impact carbs not just the sugars. You could always test your bgs before eating and them after to check. If a U.K. product it’s likely that all the carbs will impact ie 8.6g unless there are sweetners eg polyols which may not count. What does the ingredients list say? Maybe post a photo of nutrition panel on the bar so we can see to advise you? There are many bars out there with few impact carbs not sure if this is one of them.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It’s better to look at total carbs, not just sugars - it all raises your BG. There are definitely lower carb bars out there, but as you said, you’ll only know how it affects you personally by testing.

Reactions: Jayne1983

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Advice please. I want to get some high meat/low carb sausages for our ‘second Christmas’ buffet party on Sunday. Fat head sausage rolls have been requested but I’ll only be able to get to one of the following supermarkets, which one is likely to be my best bet for the best sausages?
Aldi, Lidl, Tesco or Asda?

Reactions: maglil55

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hiya you need to count all the impact carbs not just the sugars. You could always test your bgs before eating and them after to check. If a U.K. product it’s likely that all the carbs will impact ie 8.6g unless there are sweetners eg polyols which may not count. What does the ingredients list say? Maybe post a photo of nutrition panel on the bar so we can see to advise you? There are many bars out there with few impact carbs not sure if this is one of them.
hi I’ve tryed to send a picture but it’s not letting me so it. Do u still need to test if your hbc1a is in normal range and your diet exercise only my nurse said not to test only if your on medication she said every one will get a spike even if there not diabetic and told me off for testing. I will still test tho.. can I just ask about the meters this morning I done 4 test 7.1 then it was 4.4 then it was 6.6 then 5.6 all with in a minute I done them so which is right if the meters are saying this how do you know if there right Bryan’s after foods x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi I’ve tryed to send a picture but it’s not letting me so it. Do u still need to test if your hbc1a is in normal range and your diet exercise only my nurse said not to test only if your on medication she said every one will get a spike even if there not diabetic and told me off for testing. I will still test tho.. can I just ask about the meters this morning I done 4 test 7.1 then it was 4.4 then it was 6.6 then 5.6 all with in a minute I done them so which is right if the meters are saying this how do you know if there right Bryan’s after foods x
No worries re picture I had a quick look at weight watchers bars online and think that the one you have is 8.6 total carbs ie all will have an impact on your bgs. It depends very much on the number of carbs you are working towards daily and what works for you. Personally that number would be too large on a snack for me - as I like vegetables and they add up!
Re test results your meter results do sound very varied but it can happen. I tend not to retest unless result very odd especially as you, like me,are no doubt paying for your own strips. NHS don’t approve of testing unless on certain medications as it would cost too much. I personally have found it very helpful to test regularly to work out what food works for me and how many carbs I can tolerate - or not! It also helps you see overall trends in managing via diet and exercise.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Food Dr caramel bar.
Dinner: roast turkey (emergency frozen joint purchased in case Boris ruined Xmas!) with one tiny roast potato, Brussels, a couple of carrots and a splash of gravy followed by SF cherry jelly and cream.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Advice please. I want to get some high meat/low carb sausages for our ‘second Christmas’ buffet party on Sunday. Fat head sausage rolls have been requested but I’ll only be able to get to one of the following supermarkets, which one is likely to be my best bet for the best sausages?

Asda do some good ones in their extra special range. Don’t remember exactly which ones and not as low as Waitrose, but that’s not on your list. I’ve never looked in Tesco and never found any suitably low carb in Lidl/Aldi. I’ll see if I can find the ones I’m thinking of and post a link if successful.

Editing to say I think these must be them (a long while since I bought them), but carbs a bit higher than I remembered at 2.2g/100g: https://groceries.asda.com/product/sausages/asda-extra-special-6-pork-sausages/910001308704

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
can I just ask about the meters this morning I done 4 test 7.1 then it was 4.4 then it was 6.6 then 5.6 all with in a minute
That is a very large difference.
Were your hands clean and are your test strips in date?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch: mixed berries and Fage full fat yogurt, mixed nuts and black coffee.
mid afternoon: black coffee
dinner: mushroom and cheese omelette, sparkling mineral water.
Throughout the day 2.5 litres water.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
which one is likely to be my best bet for the best sausages?
Heck 97% sausages are usually available in both Tesco and Asda. I use them a lot.
You can check the meat content in any own brand, but be careful, they change recipes almost constantly. Lidl used to do nice 95% one but haven't seen it in ages. Often chipolatas are higher meat, but do check the label

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tesco do a Finest Aberdeen Angus pack of sausages and also Heck sausages, both 1.9g carbs per 100g

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 scrambled eggs
Freezing cold stroll helping remove community Xmas decorations
L: smoked mackerel pate, 3 hm seedy crackers, spoonful pickled veg and 2 gherkins which I tried frying. Was OK, and nice to not be cold
Mid afternoon some 100% monetezumas found in the Chrsitmas cupboard. 2 years out of date... and there are 5 bars!
D: beef stew slow cooked in lager, celery carrot and leek in. Served with cheesy swede mash.
1 piece hm lc ginger cake and half a scoop gingerbread ice cream.

Heating finally mended, been off since Christmas Eve.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal @MrsA2 and @Rachox thanks for sausage info. I’d totally forgotten about Heck - I used to get them when I lived near a Sainsbury’s. Most of the supermarkets seem to sell them so that’s probably my best bet.
I like the Waitrose 1 ones too Goonergal, I thought I had some in the freezer but sadly no.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We don't eat many sausages, but when we have them, they come from Asda; their Extra Special range. I particularly like the Three Chilli variant, but maybe not so great for sausage rolls!

Sausages are the only meat we have that doesn't come from the wonderful local butcher, but his gluten free sausages are dire. They are totally tasteless and equally texture-free. Shame.

Enjoy your extra celebration.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight, we had MrB's Cheese and Onion Pie.

There's no pastry or grains, just cheese, onion, seasoning and egg to bind. It puffs up light a soufflé, is increadibly filling and delicious!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight, we had MrB's Cheese and Onion Pie.

There's no pastry or grains, just cheese, onion, seasoning and egg to bind. It puffs up light a soufflé, is increadibly filling and delicious!
Is this the recipe?
I really need to make this, I keep forgetting!
How does it puff up, do you beat the egg? And what seasonings do you add?

• 1 large onion chopped.
  • c200-250gr cheese of your choosing; grated - for us, this evening, it was just a strong mature cheddar
  • A decent knob of butter
  • 1 egg

Steps
  1. Firstly, boil the chopped onion until soft, the drain very well.
  2. In a bowl, combine the onion, cheese, egg, butter and seasoning, the decant into your chosen cooking vessel. It works just as well as one dish, or individually. We had individuals tonight.
  3. Put it into a 200c fan oven for c30 minutes.
  4. I think it would also be wonderful with cooked bacon or chopped chorizo added.